• Hate it!!

4 23.53%
  • Don't care either way

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Focused Update - My thoughts

Pro Member

War Focused Update - My thoughts

SC's comment that sometime in the future, there might be a big update focussing on wars got me thinking about what such a potential update can contain, and how ideal it would be to war oriented clashers.

Of course, most of what I have listed below is probably not really new to those who frequent the ideas forum, but I would like to think I have added some of my creativity to it. Fair warning, it’s pretty long and will look tedious at times. I would have loved to add some illustrations, but I am no graphics designer and pretty ♥♥♥♥ at photo-shop, so decided to give it a miss for now.

Let me know what you guys think!

Table of Contents:

Last edited by hotshot007; January 17th, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
    IGN : Hotshot007 Clan : Goonsquadelite
    TH Level : 13 BK/AQ/GW/RC Level: 75/75/50/25
    Walls: Maxed.

Pro Member
    Make “Scrims” official

For a while now, the war community has figured out the importance of your war weight, or gold weight as it is popularly known in arranging a war with another clan. My proposal is for Supercell to officially acknowledge it and provide an in-game mechanism to arrange scrims in an easier manner.

These are the changes I envision for this to happen

1) Provide war weights somewhere (And I don’t mean the rounded off version that you see as your gold weight on war day, but the actual weight that is used in war search).
    2) Make every clan member’s war weight public. Perhaps it can show on their profile page.
    3) On the view clan page, have two buttons. A “Message Clan” button and a “War this Clan” button. Both buttons should be viewable only to Co-Leaders or above.
    4) The “Message Clan” button should allow you to send a mail to the viewing clan, where you can perhaps propose a war between the clans and the roster you are planning to bring forth. This message should be viewable to all Co-Leaders or above of the clan to which you are sending the mail, and it should have a reply button for back and forth communication.
    5) A conversation can be established between 2 clans, and this provides a way to plan a war and the members to war with, as well the timings to start the war.
    6) This is where the “war this clan” button now comes in. Clicking this button should take you to a war selection page, similar to the war opt-in screen. The page should additionally show the total war weight that you are taking into war. So say you are planning to war with 10 members, all with a weight of 70, then your total war weight should show 700.
    7) Once team selections are made, you can initiate a war request to the other clan. The war request will go in similar to how a “Join clan” request is made, with an “Accept War” button, available to Co’s and above only.
    8) The “Accept war” button will take the person clicking it to the war selection page with a “Confirm War” button, that is grayed out to begin with.
    9) Let’s assume that someone has sent a war request to your clan for a 20v20 with a total war weight of 1300. You will now need to choose 20 members from your clan, with the total war weight coming to say within +/- 3 of 1300. Please note that I use +/- 3 as an example here. The actual range can be more/less depending on how SC have its current matchmaking algorithm. The “Confirm war” button will not activate till your picked war weight and war numbers matches these conditions.
    10) Once the opponent team pick their selection, clicking the “Confirm War” button will send both clans into prep day.

Advantages

1) Will make arranging wars a whole lot easier.
    2) Clans need not depend on Supercell finding them a lopsided mismatch, and have an easier alternative to find a worthier challenge.

Disadvantages

1) Can be exploited by clans to rack up a bunch of easy wins by sending requests against weaker clans, albeit with similar weight that might end up accepting.
    2) War farming/looting clans will almost always match up each other, and make it easier for them to game the system.

Conclusion

Like any other system, this one too has its exploits and loopholes, but I believe certain safeguards can be put in place to control that to some extent. Measures such as increase war loot bonus %age wise like it’s currently done with the league bonus would definitely curb war farming to some extent and encourage more of 3 star attacks, although this might not be a popular opinion.

Continue with the existing War search mechanism

I realize that arranging scrims with fellow clans might not be everyone’s cup of tea, nor would even the regulars wish to do this all the time, so let the existing war search option continue as well. This will continue to match up clans with similar weighted clans as before.
    Last edited by hotshot007; January 17th, 2016 at 11:08 AM.

Pro Member
    War tournaments

Nothing works better than to organize a proper tournament to really get some bragging rights about your clan. I know that this is an already discussed issue, but as I was talking about what a war focused update should contain, this is my take on it.

1) Tournaments will be bracketed first on the basis of numbers, and then further into war weights.
    2) So let’s say your clan wants to enter a tournament. At this point, you got to decide the bracket that you want to enter in, and the players that you want to enter with. The numbers and the total war weight that you are bringing in to the tourney should be locked. As for the players, I realize that it’s not possible for players to do non-stop wars sometimes, so let’s keep subbing options, up to say 50% of the players. For odd numbers, such as 25v25, let’s round off to the higher number. So a clan applying for the 25v25 tournament would be allowed 13 subs, while the ones entering the 30v30 tournament would get to make 15 replacements over the course of the tourney.
    3) Any and all subs that are made should not significantly affect the overall war weight entered by the clan in the tournament. So let’s say the clan entered the tourney with a total war weight of 1700. Any and all subs made should keep the clans total weight within a range of 1675-1725. Again, please note that these are placeholder values, and actual figures can and should vary.
    4) Coming to the actual mechanics, on clicking the tournament button (Available to co-leaders and above), the player is taken to a new screen (similar to the war search/scrim screen) where he gets to choose the initial roster for war. Once done, the system initiates a clan to choose 7 other clans for a tournament.
    5) So once the system finds other clans with a similar enough war weight in the same bracket, a new tournament is created.
    6) The tournament rules are simple, as stated below
    • It will be a direct knock-out. Once you lose, you are out.
    • Your clan will be matched against any of the other clans in the tournament at random.
    • All wars start immediately as soon as soon as the tournament is drawn.
    • Assuming your clan wins the war, you progress to the next stage, and war against any of the other 3 winning clans, again chosen at random.
    • Winners of the 2nd stage will proceed to the tourney finals.

7) The two finalists will war for the usual bragging rights. The winning clan’s name can be displayed on a tournament leader board, kind of similar to the “my league” board that we have currently. Perhaps to motivate more people to try tournaments extra perks such as an additional marked up 30% war loot can be awarded to the winning team. And perhaps, like how the current legend cups accumulated show on a player’s profile, perhaps the number of tourneys won by a clan can be shown as well.
    Last edited by hotshot007; January 17th, 2016 at 11:10 AM.

Pro Member
    War Leader board

Itís been a long standing demand (Probably just below using upgrading heroes in war) to have a leader board that shows who is really dominating the war scene. After all, Clash might have started out as a game of trophy pushing, but ever since the update that introduced clan wars, we all know that having a leader board that recognizes those who excelled in this area was badly needed. Here is my take on an algorithm for the same.

1) My first thought was to base it on something simple, such as the war stars won or %age of destruction in a war ( thus rewarding big score perfect wars), but ultimately this didnít seem like a true indicator.
    2) Letís consider a simple example. Say a clan wars 50v50 with just TH8/TH7ís. Ultimately, assuming they meet a likewise clan without a lopsided mismatch against them, you can expect them to get a perfect / close to perfect war as long as they have 3 starring skills, and at TH8 itís not that hard, relatively speaking.
    3) So what this would result is a clan built of lower TH levels might have a much higher ranking than say a clan built of TH10/11ís, even though they were facing much tougher wars. This doesnít seem right.
    4) My system would instead base it again on the war weight destroyed by you , as well as the stars you got for the same. So letís say someone from your clan hits an opponent with a war weight of 100 for a 2 star with 60% damage. This would ultimately help your war ranking more than someone who 3 stared of a TH7 with a 40/50 war weight.
    5) So to put it simply, the war ranking will consider A) The opponent you hit B) The number of stars you got and C) The % damage you did.
    6) Of course, getting all those stars is ultimately futile unless your clan wins the war, so some part of the rankings will be based on that too.
    7) Sounds familiar? Yes, itís quite similar to the current clan XP that you win from a war, only the figures donít quite get rounded off. So instead of a 1 star on a weak TH10 getting the same clan XP as a 3 star on a much stronger TH10, my system will go deeper and consider both stars and % damage done to the opponent, as well as their war weight. Sounds fair? I certainly think so.
    8) Yes, the system will not reward those with all TH7/8 members, but you canít have everything. Ultimately, the leader board should reward those clans that require more skills, and from SCís business point of view this will also encourage people to go for higher TH levels.

Pro Member
    Miscellaneous war related changes

1) When upgrading a troop/defense or while building a new defense, show the war weight that it will add. So say you want to upgrade your xbow from lvl 1 to lvl 2, on the upgrade screen, it should show an extra column giving the weight that this xbow will add.
    2) On Clan search page, besides the clan rank add a filter to search by War wins.
    3) Show the War losses/draw stat on the clan page as well. We know that War losses are already recorded on the supercell DB, just not shown. I assume the same applies for losses too.
    4) The New tournament button can be placed along-side the start war button the war page.

Millennial Club

Love it!

During these tournaments I think the players defense and troop levels should be locked in. (Also let us use heroes while they upgrade or its pointless) 8 clan tourney would last 6 days.

To add to tournaments I would like to see leagues/seasons. Like maybe a 1 or 2 month season with a 64 - 128 clan playoff bracket depending on the activity.

That would be difficult to accomplish but i would like to see it..
    Clasher since 09/14/2014 * TH9 * lvl 112* Competitive * Active * Loyal * "Beleaguer - #LGGCVR9R" is a serious war clan, recruiting TH7-9 lvl40+ and dragons lvl1 or balloons lvl4.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziaka View Post
    During these tournaments I think the players defense and troop levels should be locked in. (Also let us use heroes while they upgrade or its pointless) 8 clan tourney would last 6 days.

To add to tournaments I would like to see leagues/seasons. Like maybe a 1 or 2 month season with a 64 - 128 clan playoff bracket depending on the activity.

That would be difficult to accomplish but i would like to see it..
    Thanks.

I considered a bigger tournament, but that would lead to a longer period of time for which you need the same clan members to be active war after war. I think even with subs, it would get jaded over a period of time.

I purposely avoided mentioning upgrading heroes in war. I think that particular discussion has been done to death, and the ball is really in Supercell's court now. If they do it, well and good. If they don't, well.. no point losing sleep over it.
    Last edited by hotshot007; January 17th, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

sweet ideas

Some really good ideas. I hope for some addition in warsystem to make it easier to arrange wars but disadvantage would be farmwars arranged for loot. Im not sure how to work around that tbh.

Tourneys would be a great addition too.

Scrims... Don't know how well this would work.

The problem with this idea is that no one would ever except a war with a clan at or above their level. People would only choose to attack Clans weaker than themselves, and the clans being asked would also only except clans weaker than themselves. This would end up with nobody ever being able to find a match. Nice idea, but I don't think it would work very well. Everybody would being looking for a match for a long time.
    Last edited by shobiwan77; January 17th, 2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Didn't specify what part my reply was on.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissHilda View Post
    Some really good ideas. I hope for some addition in warsystem to make it easier to arrange wars but disadvantage would be farmwars arranged for loot. Im not sure how to work around that tbh.

Tourneys would be a great addition too.
    I agree, and I did touch on that.

The thing is, farm wars still happen with increasing frequency. Hell, I have seen clans admit that they have 30-40 feeders, all of which search for war at the same time and pretty much match most of the time. Yes, allowing scrims to be made an official thing would increase the %age to 100% in all probability, but I believe the advantages outweigh the disadvantages here. SC has never publicly declared farm wars as illegal, and currently am thinking (given their mindset) that they probably think of it as an exploit similar to what 'outing your TH' was.

Quote Originally Posted by shobiwan77 View Post
    The problem with this idea is that no one would ever except a war with a clan at or above their level. People would only choose to attack Clans weaker than themselves, and the clans being asked would also only except clans weaker than themselves. This would end up with nobody ever being able to find a match. Nice idea, but I don't think it would work very well. Everybody would being looking for a match for a long time.

Not really true.

Bear in mind that I didn't propose to eliminate the current match-making system. I merely suggested it as an add-on to the existing system.

Also, not everyone enjoys just warring weak clans all the time. Just as there are farmers who enjoy looting dead bases co-existing with farmers who love to core well defended bases as a challenge, I believe there are more than enough war clans who would love a challenging war every time to constantly improve their warring abilities.

You only got to look at all the arranged wars that take place these days. Its not just the top warring clans, but a lot other developing clans like mine who would love to have a more challenging war every time if we could.