Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Smelters Do I Need?

Banned

How Many Smelters Do I Need?

I just got the mine, level 24. I had 100k gold. I bought the mine and 3 smelters, and I'm reluctant to buy the other 2. Do I even need this many? I have to save for the fishing boat, which won't be hard, but I would rather be safe.

Banned
    If you guys are wondering, all that gold is from fruits. I think I potentially have another 50k with my existing trees and bushes after I harvest them.

You definitely do not need the other two smelters right now. There is no "wrong" time to buy the smelters, but I think you will find that the smelters you have will be plenty for quite a while. You will probably want the others eventually, but don't worry about them until you feel like you need them because you need the metal for jewelry or to expand your personal train (PT) when you open your town. In the meantime, metal bars will sell in no time. If you are in a neighborhood, your higher level 'hoodies will be happy to get them for their own jewelry makers.

I have never opened any extra production slots on my smelters. I would use your diamonds to open production slots on other machines like animal feed, dairy and sugar.

Also, don't waste diamonds making diamond rings when you get your jewelry maker. Those are one thing that it is much "cheaper" to get Tom to buy.

Happy mining!!
    Last edited by MiniGardener; January 6th, 2016 at 07:38 AM.

Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

Forum Superstar
    I'm at level 58 and I still have 3. I don't think you have to worry about them at this level. Buy them at your own pace!
    Last edited by EllunaHellen; January 6th, 2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Level 100 reached 21/7/2019 -Town Reputation level 22
    Farm ID #298YQQ2QU
    ALL Sanctuary animals! - Permits: 56/Approximately a million
    Started September 2014! - Probably the slowest ever consistent player
    Mini farm started on April 24th, 2018! ~Level 63/Rep 16~

I only had 2 smelters for the longest time, with 3 slots open on each (smelter #1 gets silver, silver, gold; smelter #2 gets platinum, platinum, gold) and this worked wonderfully, until the town was introduced and iron and coal bars were added to the mix. I didn't want to spend diamonds on more slots, so I finally got my 3rd (and final) smelter, using only 2 slots, and filling them with 1 of each of the new iron and coal bars. This has been working just fine for me, but I also don't tend to make a ton of jewelry...just enough to be able to fill blue truck orders (and I probably have Tom retrieve jewelry for me more often than I make it anyway).

Many people have all 5 smelters, but I often see them sitting idle, so it may be that they don't have enough ore to keep them going. That may be something for you to consider...you will need 3 ore to make 1 bar (no matter which bar you are making), so if you find you don't mine enough, it could be difficult to keep more than 3 smelters going, much less 4-5.

And as Mini noted, it's better to buy diamond rings from Tom...his cost will be much better than if you find them in the DD...and you won't have to use diamonds to make them yourself.

GC/KIK: knitgal2/knitgal - Level 112 - Town Level 28
    Completed TTII and TTIII back to back...at Level 60! It CAN be done at higher levels!

Forum Superstar
    I agree with the people saying don't make diamond rings yourself. If you hire Tom for a day it will cost you 15 diamonds, but during that time you can get MANY more than 15 rings from him (I mostly get 30, or a bit over, but only because I have a small barn. I can imagine other people getting more than that)
    Level 100 reached 21/7/2019 -Town Reputation level 22
    Farm ID #298YQQ2QU
    ALL Sanctuary animals! - Permits: 56/Approximately a million
    Started September 2014! - Probably the slowest ever consistent player
    Mini farm started on April 24th, 2018! ~Level 63/Rep 16~

Take your time

You definitely don't need more than 3 yet; I'm level 91 and only got my 5th smelter a couple of weeks ago. Save your gold for the many other machines you'll need to get!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clashcon View Post
    I just got the mine, level 24. I had 100k gold. I bought the mine and 3 smelters, and I'm reluctant to buy the other 2. Do I even need this many? I have to save for the fishing boat, which won't be hard, but I would rather be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by clashcon View Post
    If you guys are wondering, all that gold is from fruits. I think I potentially have another 50k with my existing trees and bushes after I harvest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    You definitely do not need the other two smelters right now. There is no "wrong" time to buy the smelters, but I think you will find that the smelters you have will be plenty for quite a while. You will probably want the others eventually, but don't worry about them until you feel like you need them because you need the metal for jewelry or to expand your personal train (PT) when you open your town. In the meantime, metal bars will sell in no time. If you are in a neighborhood, your higher level 'hoodies will be happy to get them for their own jewelry makers.

I have never opened any extra production slots on my smelters. I would use your diamonds to open production slots on other machines like animal feed, dairy and sugar.

Also, don't waste diamonds making diamond rings when you get your jewelry maker. Those are one thing that it is much "cheaper" to get Tom to buy.

Happy mining!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EllunaHellen View Post
    I'm at level 58 and I still have 3. I don't think you have to worry about them at this level. Buy them at your own pace!
    Quote Originally Posted by knitgal2 View Post
    I only had 2 smelters for the longest time, with 3 slots open on each (smelter #1 gets silver, silver, gold; smelter #2 gets platinum, platinum, gold) and this worked wonderfully, until the town was introduced and iron and coal bars were added to the mix. I didn't want to spend diamonds on more slots, so I finally got my 3rd (and final) smelter, using only 2 slots, and filling them with 1 of each of the new iron and coal bars. This has been working just fine for me, but I also don't tend to make a ton of jewelry...just enough to be able to fill blue truck orders (and I probably have Tom retrieve jewelry for me more often than I make it anyway).

Many people have all 5 smelters, but I often see them sitting idle, so it may be that they don't have enough ore to keep them going. That may be something for you to consider...you will need 3 ore to make 1 bar (no matter which bar you are making), so if you find you don't mine enough, it could be difficult to keep more than 3 smelters going, much less 4-5.

And as Mini noted, it's better to buy diamond rings from Tom...his cost will be much better than if you find them in the DD...and you won't have to use diamonds to make them yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by EllunaHellen View Post
    I agree with the people saying don't make diamond rings yourself. If you hire Tom for a day it will cost you 15 diamonds, but during that time you can get MANY more than 15 rings from him (I mostly get 30, or a bit over, but only because I have a small barn. I can imagine other people getting more than that)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelsBells View Post
    You definitely don't need more than 3 yet; I'm level 91 and only got my 5th smelter a couple of weeks ago. Save your gold for the many other machines you'll need to get!
    Alright, too late. Whatever, I have LOTS of gold for my level.

My smelter use depends on how many mining tools I have in stock. Since a lot of mining tools arrive as "drops", and don't cost me anything, I use them to keep my smelters running. I haven't been hiring Tom lately (trying to build up my diamond balance), but when I did, I usually sent him on a couple of runs for pickaxes. Unless you are buried in ore from a mining task, it hardly pays to sell it. In fact, it is so cheap that I will often buy ore if I see it in the DD. (Believe it or not, the black top hats require a bar of coal.) I'm happy using tools to mine, my ore for smelters and my bars for neighbors upgrading their PT or for jewelry. Unless I buy tools from Tom, it all costs me nothing--except, of course, barn space!
    Last edited by MiniGardener; January 7th, 2016 at 12:20 AM.

Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    My smelter use depends on how many mining tools I have in stock. Since a lot of mining tools arrive as "drops", and don't cost me anything, I use them to keep my smelters running. I haven't been hiring Tom lately (trying to build up my diamond balance), but when I did, I usually sent him on a couple of runs for pickaxes. Unless you are buried in ore from a mining task, it hardly pays to sell it. In fact, it is so cheap that I will often buy ore if I see it in the DD. (Believe it or not, the black top hats require a bar of coal.) I'm happy using tools to mine, my ore for smelters and my bars for neighbors upgrading their PT or for jewelry. Unless I buy tools from Tom, it all costs me nothing--except, of course, barn space!
    I don't know what this means, my mine and smelters are still building. I'll reply once I figure it out.