Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: MEGA-Cube: Maximized DE Protection Base TH8 Post-Update (Anti-Giant, Anti-TH9)

MEGA-Cube: Maximized DE Protection Base TH8 Post-Update

"Never Lose DE"

TH8 DE PROTECTION FARMING BASE

(2017 | TH Inside | w/ Bomb Tower)

Usable as of 2018

NOW UPDATED WITH VERSION 8.0

Updated Features:

-Now including the Bomb Tower!
    -Adjustments in Defense Ring

Previous versions of the base are located here.

Please Note: Some of the images used in this thread will reflect previous versions.

New versions for the MEGA-Cube are created frequently! Please check back on this thread once in a while to see if a new version has been posted.

Help your clan out and share this base with your clanmates! Shortcut link to thread: http://tinyurl.com/neverlosede

I would love to hear your feedback on this base! Please post your comments down below. Thanks!

Table of Contents

I: Introduction
    II: The Base
    III. Base Mechanics (Pros and Cons)
    IV: Possible Tweaks and Adjustments
    V: Recommended Clan Castle Defense Troops
    VI. Defense Logs
    VII. Conclusion and Special Thanks

I: Introduction

The MEGA-Cube (or just call it the Megacube) is a Town Hall 8 (TH8) farming base that is designed to keep your dark elixir (DE) as safe as possible, including from Town Hall 9 attacks. With several security features to maximize DE protection, and through a long examination and testing of this base, I truly believe that this is one of the best TH8 DE farming bases out there.

Not many base designers will tell you their defense losses, but I will. I have only been destroyed TWICE during the first full week of using this layout. And this base has been up on my village even before the update dropped. One time I got destroyed, it was by a TH9 with level 6 giants and 14/10 heroes. Plus, he had to use 3 spells to just get to my dark elixir. Had his Archer Queen been a couple levels lower, he probably would not have gotten the dark elixir. The second time was by a max TH8 who was pushing and brought a very powerful PEKKA army which wiped through my base (still not 3 stars though). You won't see PEKKA attacks much.

Besides that, this base has defended against:
    -GiBarch
    -Giant-Healer
    -Giant-Wizard and variants
    -Mass dragons
    -Mass archers
    -Barch

A few points to note before I reveal the base design:
    -Probably the most important: Every base can be beat, including this one.
    -This base works best when you are not rushed. This means that all your defenses are at an acceptable level for TH8.
    -The higher level your defenses, the more likely you will be able to defend against attacks (obviously).
    -When I say "Anti-TH9", I mean the MEGA-Cube defends well even if the attacker uses level 6 giants or has an Archer Queen. However, it does NOT mean that the base is impossible to defeat. A well executed TH9 attack, even a very well executed TH8 attack, can break into the base. If you are getting attacked by a strong TH9 with high level heroes or strong troops, you may not defend very well.
    -The base works even better when you have defending clan castle troops for defense, but the base still works even without these two.
    -The Barbarian King is NOT needed for defense!
    -This base was tested in Silver League, Gold League, and low Crystal League. If you are not in one of these trophy ranges the base may not work at defending DE.

Abbreviations/terms I may use in this post:
    • DE - Dark Elixir
    • TH - Town Hall
    • CC - Clan Castle
    • Core - the innermost layer of the base, where the dark elixir storage, archer towers, air defenses, Town Hall, and the clan castle are located
    • Resource Ring - the second layer of the base surrounding the core, in which all the buildings in it are non-defensive structures
    • Defense Ring - the outermost layer of the base which consists mostly of defenses
    • Outside Structures - the structures that are not in any of the sections of the base mentioned above and are outside of the walls

II: The Base

The MEGA-Cube (Version 8.0):

Walls and Traps Only (updating...):

Walls Only:

Center of the Base (where DE Storage should go):

Skeleton Traps (both set to air mode):

Air Sweeper Direction:

Note: This base is compatible with 4 builder huts or 5 builder huts. If you have 4, place them where shown in the base screenshot above. If you have a 5th builder hut, place it anywhere. I placed mine in the bottom corner of the base.

With the Builder Base update, you are able to gear up one of your cannons at TH8. I recommend gearing up the cannon farthest to the right in the base.

III: Base Mechanics

1. High DE Protection:

With a centralized Dark Elixir storage, it makes it very hard to get all the way into the center of the base to get the dark elixir. In addition, because the base covers nearly the entire map, the attacker will have to get through a lot of buildings and space in order to get into the core. Also, the Dark Elixir drills are located inside the base, giving them some protection as well.

The core is highly fortified, with lots of point defense and splash defense to kill enemy units. Archer Towers and Teslas will hammer down heroes, PEKKAs, giants, wallbreakers trying to break open the core, wizards, hog riders, and many more types of units. Air Defenses will help to defend against balloons and dragons, and Wizard Towers will inflict heavy damage on barbarians, archers, goblins, and others.

2. Anti-Archer Queen

As shown in the image below, an Archer Queen cannot target the Dark Elixir storage from over the walls surrounding the core. Her range is 5 tiles, while the distance from the Archer Queen's standing point to the DE storage is 6 through 10 tiles depending on where she is standing, meaning that she will have to break through the wall or have other troops break through the wall before being able to target the DE. In some cases, the Archer Queen may walk around the resource ring instead of attempting to break the wall.

3. Anti-Giant

The area surrounding the core is known as the resource ring. This is because all the buildings in the "moat" are non-defensive structures (excluding traps, defending heroes, and other "defenses" that giants won't target).

Why have a resource ring?
    Giants go for defenses. With a buffer layer between the core and the defense ring, giants will tend to walk around the defense ring, destroying defenses, instead of traveling a long distance through the resource ring where there are no defensive structures to target into the core. The image below shows the giants' pathing around the base instead of into it.

As the giants make their way around the base, they will encounter several spring traps. The spring traps are placed so that almost 100% of the time they will send 3 giants flying off the map. At TH8 you get 6 spring traps. If each of them triggers and gets rid of 3 giants, the attacker will have lost 18 giants just to spring traps. When you add on damage from the defenses, the defending Barbarian King, and the skeleton traps, the attacker will have lost up to 30 giants!

A new feature prevents the giants from breaking into the resource ring as they are traveling around the defense ring, as shown below.

The same concepts also apply when the attacker is using hogs. Hog riders behave similarly to giants because they both target defenses first, so they will also travel around the defense ring and get hit by spring traps.

4. Anti-Barch

All 3 wizard towers are placed in the core, and they will hammer down on weak units such as Barch and goblins as they are making their way around the resource ring. Wizard towers are better than mortars because of their fast firing rate, their better ability to kill wallbreakers trying to break into the core, and they have no dead zone like the mortar. There are high-hitpoint storages in the resource ring, and units will have to get through those while the wizard tower shots are raining down on them.

The mortars are in the defense ring. This helps stop Barch attackers who are trying to get the 50% for trophies. It also punishes attackers who use all weak units, such as mass archers, mass goblins, etc.

5. Anti-Dragons

Two of the air defenses are in the core, creating good air protection. Of course, the base can be easily 3-starred with a well-planned out DragLoon attack, but especially in multiplayer matchmaking, where the attacker is only given 30 seconds to scout a base and formulate a plan, most of the time the attacker will not bring the exact army composition that he/she wants in order to attack the base. In the two times that I was attacked with mass dragons, the attackers both brought 3 lightning spells.

Also, if the attacker were to bring a Zap-Quake (2 lightning 1 earthquake) composition, he/she can only destroy one air defense. In other words, the air defenses are spread out enough so that 2 lightning spells and 1 earthquake spell can't take out two of them.

6. Anti-Wizard Feature

The walls around the defense ring are arranged specially: they are three tiles away from the defenses. Why? A wizard's range is 3 tiles. The distance from where a wizard is standing behind the wall to the defense that is protected by the walls is 4 tiles. Yes, just like the Anti-Queen feature, the wizard will not target the defenses over the wall in the defense ring. Wizards will have to walk around in order to get the defense. This soaks up time for the cannons in the defense ring to shoot down the wizards if they don't have any protection. This also makes it harder to make a funnel for the giants. If the surrounding defenses aren't cleared, then the giants will definitely go around the defense ring.

7. Unlureable Clan Castle

The clan castle radius is shown below. The CC troops cannot be lured out with barbarians, archers, or goblins, so the attacker will have to invest more troop space in a CC lure, meaning he/she will have to use giants or hogs.

8. Easy to Get Free 12-Hour Shield (30% and 1/3 of army used)

At TH8, there are 63 buildings in all (assuming you have 5 builder huts). This means that in order for the attacker to get the essential 30% that you need to get a free 12-hour shield, the attacker will have to destroy about 19 structures.

As you can see from the image above, there are 24 outside structures. This makes it very easy for attackers to get 30%. As proved from my defense logs and my experience, every single attack but one on my base got to 30% AND the attacker used at least 1/3 of his/her army. So getting your free shield shouldn't ever be a problem.

9. Good Trap Placement

As stated earlier, the spring traps are placed so that almost all the time they will be triggered by giants and will send 3 giants flying.

The giant bombs are in the resource ring. They are designed to trigger and blow up a large number of weak units, such as Barbarians, Archers, Goblins, and Wizards.

The skeleton traps are set to air mode and are placed in the resource ring. They distract dragons as they are in the midst of the air defenses, giving the air defenses precious time to shoot at the dragons, making a difference in the attack.

The small bombs are used mainly to kill wallbreakers. I put them in pairs as two small bombs will kill any level wallbreakers. They are one tile away from the wall so that they can be triggered early and have time to actually hit the wallbreakers. The surrounding buildings help funnel wallbreakers in the area towards the small bombs.

The seeking air mines are in the center of the base. In case dragons manage to get into the core, the seeking air mines should slow or cease any damage from the dragons. This is also in the heat of the battlefield, where each dragon counts, and where up to 2 air defenses are shooting at once.

The air bombs are placed in the core. This is to defend against minions which are rushing into the base. They are cleverly placed so that they damage a large group of troops.

10. Protected and Isolated Town Hall

The Town Hall is basically a resource storage that holds a bit of all three resources. Therefore, it must be protected, more than a sole gold or elixir storage, but it is less priority than the Dark Elixir storage.

The DE Storage is placed in the core of the base, giving it good protection. A more important aspect, however, is that it is isolated from all the other gold and elixir storages.

Why isolate the Town Hall? If the Town Hall is away from the gold and elixir storages, attackers will only be able to prioritize one thing: either the TH or the gold/elixir storages. Because the way the base is set up, it will be very hard for an attacker to wipe through the entire resource ring. So attackers can either attack you from the right side where they will get loot from the storages, or attack you from the left side where they can only get your Town Hall and maybe one or two storages. (The DE Storage is equally difficult to get from any side of the base.) Most attackers, especially ones that are just going for gold and/or elixir, will attack from the right side. This means that they won't get your TH, and the DE that is stored in the TH will be safe.

11. Unpredictability

The MEGA-Cube is one of the ONLY TH8 bases that covers the entire map. Yup, it's bigger than even some TH10 bases. With such an open base design, there are a lot of spaces for traps. The attacker will not be able to predict the trap locations. For example, the base has no double giant bombs, but there are so many spots in the defense ring that it would be almost impossible to guess the correct location of it, if there were to be a double bomb set. This is what the base looks like to an attacker (besides troops in army camps):

Image depicting all the possible double giant bomb spots in the defense ring below.

12. Intimidation of Design

Psychologically, bases that are larger intimidate people more (trust me on this). People think, "how can I get from here (spawning point) all the way to there (DE storage)?" I admit, when I see a wide base with a centralized DE storage, I would be hesitant to attack it. With a base as large as the MEGA-Cube (covering the whole map), even TH9 attackers may begin to cringe. I have watched live replays of TH9 attackers "nexting" my base several times. In reality, it may not be as hard to get to the DE storage as most people think, but it is still hard to do so (I'm not even sure if I could do it!).

Another advantage of a large base design is that the spawning area for the attacker's troops is not a lot of space, so it will be harder for the attacker to precisely drop troops to make them go where he/she wants them to.

13. Maintains/Gains Trophies

With the new update taking away TH snipes, many people may find it harder to maintain trophies, because not only will they lose trophies on defense, but they will also lose trophies during attacks, because a lot of the time (especially on dead bases) you don't get to 50% with weak armies such as Barch. However, this base will make sure that you maintain your trophies (or gain trophies like me!). About 2/3 of the time, I get a defensive win. Note: this mechanic may only apply below 2000 trophies.

Cons:

Every base has its disadvantages, however, and I must admit that the MEGA-Cube is not the perfect base. I could not have possibly made the base defendable against every single type of attack strategy. I just evaluated the most common attacks used for farming at TH8 and TH9 and designed my base according to that. Below are some cons of the base:

• This is a DE Protection base, so I didn't really prioritize the gold and elixir storages. So expect to lose some gold and/or elixir during attacks on your base.
    • Because there are not many wall compartments, a well executed GoWiPe attack can 3-star the base.
    • The Giant trap may be broken if the attacker uses 4 earthquake spells to break open the resource ring and the core.
    • The base is not very effective against TH9 Super Queen attacks.
    • You will have to re-arm your traps after almost every single defense. Fortunately, Supercell just reduced the cost of re-arming traps drastically, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

IV: Possible Tweaks and Adjustments

Here are some possible tweaks and adjustments you can make to the base to better fit you.

1. If you have Archer Towers in the core upgrading, replace them with cannons from the defense ring.
    2. If you have Mortars upgrading, replace them with more archer towers or air defenses from the defense ring.
    3. If you feel that you are getting attacked by hogs frequently, create double bomb spots in the defense ring. I don't recommend that you do this, but if it's a big problem then you should.
    4. If obstacles are blocking the way for some of the buildings, you will have to make some minor adjustments. Or, just remove the obstacles.
    5. If air attacks are not a problem for you, you can set the skeleton traps to ground mode and take them out of the resource ring.

DO NOT DO:
    1. Do not de-centralize the Dark Elixir storage.
    2. Do not move around the storages in the resource ring nearer to the Town Hall.
    3. Do not change spring trap locations, unless you have to (ex. need a double bomb spot).
    4. Do not put any defenses in the resource ring, including hidden teslas.
    5. Do not change the wall formation.
    6. Do not move the Town Hall outside of the core.
    7. If you are changing things around, make sure there are no gaps/spaces in the base.

V: Recommended Clan Castle Defense Troops

The base works best when you have defending clan castle troops, and will help you defend better against TH9 attacks. Note that it is NOT required to have CC troops in order for this base to function properly. It is recommended that you have an active clan that can donate you high level troops. These compositions below are for players that have 25 troop space in their clan castle (CC Level 4).

My favorite composition:

• 6 Wizards (Lvl 5+)
    • 1 Barbarian/Archer (Lvl 4+)
    • Why? Although the wizards can be killed using a poison spell, they will still do significant damage to giants before they die. According to a survey that I have performed in my clan and with friends that play Clash of Clans, most attackers do not check for defending CC troops in multiplayer battles (this includes me!). Catch the attacker off guard when wizards come out of the clan castle and annihilate his giants!

Composition 2:

• 1 Dragon (Lvl 3+)
    • 1 Balloon (Lvl 6) OR 1 Wizard (Lvl 5+) and 1 Archer (Lvl 4+)
    • Why? Dragons are also very good at defense. Unlike wizards, they cannot be killed with a poison spell. Their disadvantage is that they are slow at attacking and are not as effective at killing groups of giants.

Composition 3:

• Mix of Minions (Lvl 3+) and Archers (Lvl 4+)
    • Why? A large number of troops can distract heroes for a long time. Because heroes can only target one troop at a time, it will take them a while to get through a large group of archers. This gives time for defenses to damage the heroes. The minions can damage the heroes as well.

Composition 4:

• 5 Balloons (Lvl 6)
    • Why? Balloons have enormous damage per second. If each of your balloons drops one bomb on an Archer Queen (any level), it will instantly kill it, even if she has healers and a rage spell on her. Therefore, if you are getting hit by Super Queen frequently, max balloons may be a good choice to defend against it.

Composition 5:

• 1 PEKKA (Lvl 3+)
    • Why? Just like balloons, PEKKAs have enormous damage per second. In fact, they might be even better than max balloons for killing an Archer Queen. The attacker will need to have a high level Archer Queen, rage spell/Royal Cloak ability, and a poison spell in order to get past a high level defending PEKKA.

VI: Defense Logs

Please see next post for defense logs! Logs had to be removed from here because this post got too large.

VIII: Conclusion and Special Thanks

That's it for the MEGA-Cube! I hope you enjoyed this entire thread and I hope you will give this base a try. You won't regret it! If you have any questions about the base mechanics, please reply down below. Also, if you think I did something wrong in my thread (ex. false statement, calculation error, etc.) please don't hesitate to tell me. I hope you enjoy the base as much as I do!

Special Thanks to...

Arnabspeedster: He helped me create Version 3.0 and Version 4.0 of the base.

Eternal625 (Ash): He definitely deserves credit in the creation of this base. The foundation of the base was inspired by his base "Hypercube". In addition, some of the Base Mechanics in my base were inspired by his thread. Thanks Ash!
    Last edited by jlam2; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:26 PM.
    IGN: Baby Kendle
    LINE ID: babykendle
    YouTube Channel (100k+ subs): Past Amazing

MEGA-Cube: Defense Logs

This post will be used to post the defense logs of the MEGA-Cube as the original post is getting too large.

VI: Defense Logs

Note: I told you that my DE storage only got taken twice during the first full week. One was the defense where a TH9 attacker took about 1600 DE. There was another defense where about 1000 DE was stolen, but that was when I was inactive for a day and my drills were full. My other loss was the one where I lost about 1300 DE to a PEKKA-Wizard attack. These attacks are very uncommon and shouldn't be a problem.

A few notes to consider:
    -All these defenses are consecutive, meaning this is exactly what is shown in my battle log. I didn't censor out any defenses.
    -I had varying amounts of dark elixir each defense, but for 95% of the defenses shown below I had 2000+ DE available to a TH8 and below, and 1600+ DE available to a TH9 (full amount available from a storage).
    -None of the attackers except two even touched my Dark Elixir storage.

Defense Log last updated: December 17, 2015 (added 3 recent defenses)

Below are some defense logs from the users (submitted through replies to this thread):

From xSaturnx (using Version 2.0):

From UltimateGamers03 (using Version 5.1):

From LittleMeow (using Version 5.1):

From rhymquimghyf (Using Version 5.1):

From capnslapabich (using Version 5.5):

By Metatron4 (using Version 6.0):

From cfoot (using Version 6.0):

From ParadoxalAxioma (using Version 6.0):

Last edited by jlam2; May 27th, 2016 at 03:23 AM.

MEGA-Cube: Revision History

This post is used for you to monitor the revision history of the base. Every time a new version of the MEGA-Cube is released, this post will show the revisions with any new features of the base.

CURRENT VERSION:

- Version 8.0
    Updated on 10/12/16

Updated Features:
    -Now including Bomb Tower!
    -Adjustments in Defense Ring

PREVIOUS VERSIONS:

- Version 7.0
    Updated on 5/25/16

Updated Features:
    -Wizard Towers now in Core
    -Improved Giant Walk-Around System
    -Barbarian King No Longer Needed for Defense
    -Minor Aesthetics Improvements

- Version 6.0
    Updated on 3/26/16

Updated Features:

-Switched Mortars and Archer Towers in Defense Ring
    -Moved Small Bombs Into Resource Ring

- Version 5.6
    Updated on 3/24/16

Updated Features:
    -Slightly Modified Core

- Version 5.5
    Updated on 3/6/16

Updated Features:
    -All 3 Air Defenses in Core = Best Air Protection!

- Version 5.1
    Updated on 1/26/16

Updated Features:
    -Fixed Issue Where Giants Wouldn't Walk Around
    -Moved Army Camps Slightly
    -Moved Small Bombs to Areas Where Wallbreakers Would be Affected More

- Version 5.0
    Updated on 1/23/16

Updated Features:
    -Much-Needed Improvements
    -Now 4 Builders-Friendly

- Version 4.0
    Updated on 1/18/16

Updated Features:

-Several Aesthetics Improvements!
    -Re-Design of Core
    -Teslas in Core to Better Defend Against GoWiPe
    -Skeleton Traps on Air to Defend Against Dragons
    -Slight Wall Re-Positioning
    -Better Small Bomb Positioning

- Version 3.0
    Updated on 1/6/16

Updated Features:
    - Balanced Air and Ground Protection
    -Archer Towers, Air Defenses, and Mortars All in Core
    -Slight Wall Re-Positioning

- Version 2.1
    Updated on 12/20/15

Updated Features:
    - Various Aesthetics Improvements
    - Air Bombs Placed in Resource Ring to Defend Against Mass Minions

- Version 2.0

Updated on 12/18/15

Updated Features:
    - Less Air Coverage, More Ground Coverage
    - Mortars are in the core to defend against Barch
    - Air Defenses are placed in the defense ring

- Version 1.0 (Original Version)
    Published on 12/15/15

Last edited by jlam2; October 24th, 2016 at 01:52 AM.

Looks like a well thought out design. I'll put it on a th8 and see how it performs!
    ONE FOR ALL
    a 25v25, solo, level 7, war clan (#8V2R9RRP).
    Record (as of 2016-01-22): 108-13-2

Millennial Club
    you've done it. GG niners
    We told one of our newer members to lightning the cc....He dropped a lightning spell on the actual cc - no luring the troops or anything. Guess we should have been more specific...

At 1st I thought it was Eternal625 the way you set up the thread and even the formatting of the text lol.

Did you get any inspiration from this?
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...tion-Farm-Base

Valiant effort!

Wow, that much text and images, hats off to u mate.

But To be honest, when you say Giants will go around, you should know that ONLY Giants will go around, with two wall breakers, My heroes and barch gets in to the "moat" as you call it, and the next minute your Inner defences are taking my king while barch and queen are eating up DE.

U lack splash defence in your centre by the way. Big Con

But I can say this that an army costing under 140k on TH8 will not be able to get ur DE, but a TH9 will, (if the attacker is skilled)

Plus won't a queen walk be the best thing ever on this base? No air defences to interfere.

I really like ur spring traps though.

Keep up the good work.
    AkiYouMe
    TH9 & TH8 Anti 3 Star Bases
    LS TH9: tinyurl.com/LavaDoom
    FZ TH8:
    tinyurl.com/FordorZwei

Quote Originally Posted by AkiYouMe View Post
    Valiant effort!

Wow, that much text and images, hats off to u mate.

But To be honest, when you say Giants will go around, you should know that ONLY Giants will go around, with two wall breakers, My heroes and barch gets in to the "moat" as you call it, and the next minute your Inner defences are taking my king while barch and queen are eating up DE.

U lack splash defence in your centre by the way. Big Con

But I can say this that an army costing under 140k on TH8 will not be able to get ur DE, but a TH9 will, (if the attacker is skilled)

Plus won't a queen walk be the best thing ever on this base? No air defences to interfere.

I really like ur spring traps though.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks man! Yep, I know that the lack of splash damage in the core is a huge disadvantage in the MEGA-Cube. As I was planning to mention in the Possible Tweaks and Adjustments section, users can switch the air defenses and one of the archer towers in the core with mortars if they feel they will never be attacked by air.

As a TH9, of course attacking TH8s will be very easy anyways. From experience on my TH9 account, attacking TH8s for DE is too easy. With GiBarch, it's spam all your giants and drop your queen. With Super Queen (Queen Walk) it's drop your queen and 8 healers and automatically win. With the MEGA-Cube, I tried not only to make it Anti-TH8, I tried my best to put in some anti-TH9 features as well. But still, like I have said, with a well executed attack, anyone can get the dark elixir.

It does look like the base is working though, according to the defense logs. I have defended against several TH9s with level 6 giants and an archer queen!

Quote Originally Posted by llllllllllll View Post
    At 1st I thought it was Eternal625 the way you set up the thread and even the formatting of the text lol.

Did you get any inspiration from this?
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...tion-Farm-Base
    I got a few ideas from his threads, such as the shortcut link to the thread and a couple of the Base Mechanics, so I guess you can say he inspired me to create this base design thread
    Last edited by jlam2; December 15th, 2015 at 03:22 PM.

Love to Hear Your Feedback

Hey guys, I would love to hear your feedback on my base. Thanks so much for your support!