Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [TH9] REAL Anti 3 Star War Base EXPLAINED

[TH9] REAL Anti 3 Star War Base EXPLAINED

Intro: There are a lot of "Anti 3 Star" bases going around lately, and this makes me extremely happy. It is nice to see a transition of symmetrical, pretty looking, terrible war bases going around to an attempt to post bases that prevent attackers aimed at getting 3 stars. However, the anti 3 bases I am seeing tend to have many faults. I am posting this base, not as a base that I think should be widely used, but a base that can display proper base building technique to avoid 3 star attackers and help further introduce people to newer concepts regarding the war aspect of the game.

The Base:

CC Radius:

Attacker View:

The Mechanics:

Now I'm not going to draw a bunch of fancy diagrams explaining the base, but I will write it out if you're interested..

Double Giant Bombs: We all know double giant bombs are to stop hogs, but where and how they are located is extremely important. You can have double giant bombs between defenses that can be triggered one at a time if the attacker paths the hogs directly, which negates their use. Typically, you want to place the double giant bombs in between defenses and see that the hogs will trigger them simultaneously, rather than one at a time. This can be accomplished by placing non-defensive buildings around the defenses that the bombs are being sandwiched between. This way, the only place the hogs can go after the first defense is the second one, which will trip both bombs. This type of placement is depicted above. Another key note is that you want the double giant bombs to be extremely hard to trigger while attempting to kill the archer queen. Almost every 3 star strategy includes balloons or hogs, which means that the defending archer queen needs to go down. You don't want your opponent to be able to dismantle any double giant bombs on their way to getting that necessary queen kill... which brings us on to the next note..

Archer Queen: The Archer Queen was previously placed towards the middle of most anti 3 star bases. The problem with this placement is that the attacker can choose to come from any angle to reach the queen like that, which allows him/her to easily take out at least one double giant bomb set you have. Depicted above is an offset queen, which means that the attacker either has to choose to come from an angle that will not get him/her a good portion of the base with his/her queen kill squad, or has to use a much larger portion of their army to dismantle a double giant bomb while killing the queen. In terms of specifics, this base that I made has her placed too far from the edge for an attackers king to lock onto her and be able to jump in, while also having space behind her so that she won't jump into any other compartments should the attacker choose a different angle. A new strategy to combat this called "Suicide Dragons" has come into existence, which is using 2 dragons to funnel in and lock onto and kill the queen. The high HP storages under fire by an archer tower as well as the air defense in the queens compartment are used to combat that.

Spring Traps: The last vital defense against hog attacks are spring traps. When placing these, you have to consider the most probably spot that a GOOD attacker will enter your base from to kill the queen and attempt to dismantle a double giant bomb. In this particular base, that would be around 2 o'clock, where an attacker could potentially snipe the queen with their queen while also getting into that xbow. That is why in the case of that happening, there are a heavy amount of spring traps on the other side of the base, as you don't want a QKS to be dismantling all your traps with golems. Spring traps should be placed on the defenses hogs will travel to, but not be placed directly near DGBs, because if the hogs are pathing there, they will die anyway. In this base they are placed in a way to prevent backend hogs, and just general hogs coming from the least likely angle of a QKS.

Air Defenses: There are a few notes on these that are important to consider when building any base. They should generally cover the majority of the base, and there should be archer towers in spaces they don't cover. You don't want to give away any easy balloon trades, etc. You also don't want air defenses to be too shallow, where they can be reached very quickly by loons. In addition, you don't want air defenses too close together. The attacker should not easily be able to send in a QKS that gets 2 air defenses and the queen. They should also not be able to use earthquake spells to get 3 air defenses with 3 golems. A base where all of this is thought of is also depicted above. If they have to use 2 golems and their heroes to get 1 AD and a queen, usually you are in good shape. That being said, it is important to place double seeking air mines on the two least likely air defenses to get reached by a QKS, which are also usually the deepest. That way, a hound that lands on the AD is killed almost immediately. These are the basic concepts of air defense placement. Last note, air bombs work well in pairs, in places unlikely to be soaked up by lava hounds.

Tesla Farms
    : I think the benefits of tesla farms (stacking teslas) are still up for debate. On one hand, they utilize the element of surprise very well. A lone tesla is a surprise still, but it doesn't require a dramatic adjustment. However, four teslas popping up in an unexpected place can do serious damage to a scattered hog attack or a group of loons. I think on a first attack, tesla farms are definitely awesome. The disadvantage to tesla farms is that when you put all that DPS in one area and the attacker knows about it, they can send in golems and valks to take it out very easily. This base depicts a tesla farm that makes the section of the base it is in very tricky to take out. Another reason why the spring traps are on the other side. I think if you aren't using a tesla farm, you should be using teslas in places where their element of surprise actually means something.

Misc: In general, you want to avoid things like your base being opened up almost completely by 4 earthquake spells. You want to offset your walls so that breakers can't open up multiple compartments. You want to keep your cc somewhat central. And, you want to avoid symmetry in a base because it allows for a much easier flow of attacking. Also, a perk to this base is that the Town Hall is focused on a side where there are many less trash buildings available, so those GoWiPe attackers may just end up with 1 star!

Thank you guys for reading, I hope this is some new information to some of those people getting more involved in war. I really enjoy the war aspect of the game and it is my goal to help more players be familiar with competitive warring. That way we can stop winning every war against 2 star clans!!! Thanks a lot, feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by PrinceBlank; November 29th, 2015 at 08:27 PM.

Good job with the thread and sharing an actual image of an "Elite" TH9 base. I'm going to release a page soon, describing the difference between the TERM 'anti- 3 star' in contrast from anti-2 star and the BASE TYPE which are outdated named 'Anti-3 stars' such as my Metaki Series 3 which are circular, old, and no longer work in the "Elite Level". Reason why Anti-3 star doesn't work anymore , check out my [Base Designing Reality Check] page reason is that attack strategy always two steps ahead of base designing, and there doesn't exist a th9 base vs th9 attacker which can't be 3 starred.

Either way, I'm glad there is someone else other than me, explaining the concepts. (check out my Monica page xD)
    Last edited by akiyume; November 29th, 2015 at 08:42 PM.

Good attention to practical detail in reviewing the elements listed. Could be helpful for some mid-end game level war players.
    Proud Clan Leader of CLUTTONS

Updated TH9 Farming Base A R C A N U M : http://tinyurl.com/ohbtr3a

Thumbs Up

If you made the base then good work.
    Chosen Gods|Town Hall 12+ Horde|Level 194|War Hero - 1784|Crystal Farming
    Legacy Division|Clan Level 16|Town Hall 9+|Wins 445|Losses 90
    Click Here for Discord

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenW View Post
    If you made the base then good work.

I would never use a base made by someone else.

Millennial Club
    Congrats man that is a base that I would definitely give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by akiyume View Post
    Good job with the thread and sharing an actual image of an "Elite" TH9 base. I'm going to release a page soon, describing the difference between the TERM 'anti- 3 star' in contrast from anti-2 star and the BASE TYPE which are outdated named 'Anti-3 stars' such as my Metaki Series 3 which are circular, old, and no longer work in the "Elite Level". Reason why Anti-3 star doesn't work anymore , check out my [Base Designing Reality Check] page reason is that attack strategy always two steps ahead of base designing, and there doesn't exist a th9 base vs th9 attacker which can't be 3 starred.

Either way, I'm glad there is someone else other than me, explaining the concepts. (check out my Monica page xD)

I'll check it out now. I appreciate the recognition. I'm sure what you're working on is great.

Edit: Just skimmed it through and I totally agree with every point.
    Last edited by PrinceBlank; November 29th, 2015 at 09:05 PM.

I can't see the pics. Is it just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1337 View Post
    So I'm having some problems, recently I've maxed out th1 took a couple of minutes but I'm through. I'm hearing all about these loot problems. Is the loot in th2 good or should I stay th1? Pls help
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    Strongly recommend TH 1.5. Don't build your cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaIce View Post
    I can't see the pics. Is it just me?
    Just you.
    10 char
    Chosen Gods|Town Hall 12+ Horde|Level 194|War Hero - 1784|Crystal Farming
    Legacy Division|Clan Level 16|Town Hall 9+|Wins 445|Losses 90
    Click Here for Discord

Nice base and good explanation! I'll send my clan mates to this thread.

Is the right DGB intended to be adjacent to the walls, instead of being centred like the left DGB?