Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear mods, re: the neighbourhood recruitment boards...

I haven't looked at the NH recruiting section in some months. I didn't realize things had gotten so messy over there.

I'm a little concerned about barring genuine questions and replies from the recruiting threads. Yes, we could always PM. But it's so much more efficient to post in the thread so that whoever's interested can see the information, rather than field questions and write replies to several people privately. I guess this could be vulnerable to abuse, and maybe things have gotten so bad that such a step is needed now.

If I were looking to join a NH, I would read the recruiting threads to get an idea of the leader/recruiter. If someone asks them a question about their hood, and they just copy and paste the same text file they're already spamming the rest of the forum with, then I'd probably lose interest. Those exchanges can be helpful in narrowing down which NHs to investigate further.

Also: PM storage limits.
    farm 142 ~ town 41 ~ hay day friend book [ closed ]

of chill reputations - a different kind of Hay Day neighborhood
    now under the warm and deft leadership of Bont1ng.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheMusicPlay View Post
    I haven't looked at the NH recruiting section in some months. I didn't realize things had gotten so messy over there.

I'm a little concerned about barring genuine questions and replies from the recruiting threads. Yes, we could always PM. But it's so much more efficient to post in the thread so that whoever's interested can see the information, rather than field questions and write replies to several people privately. I guess this could be vulnerable to abuse, and maybe things have gotten so bad that such a step is needed now.

If I were looking to join a NH, I would read the recruiting threads to get an idea of the leader/recruiter. If someone asks them a question about their hood, and they just copy and paste the same text file they're already spamming the rest of the forum with, then I'd probably lose interest. Those exchanges can be helpful in narrowing down which NHs to investigate further.

Also: PM storage limits.

This is perfectly stated. I second this opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
    Dear hardworking overworked kind volunteer moderators,

Most times that I look at the neighbourhood recruitment forum there are a few hoods that bump up their threads a little more often than the rules allow.

The other day, we had a player on the forum expressing disillusionment at the recruitment section because in this player's eyes there was very little opportunity for a small hood to get enough exposure. The player did not suggest it was because of rule breaking but I think the rule breaking certainly creates a perception that it is dog eat dog out there! and a false impression that those who are not bumping several times a day may not be as active a hood! I also think one rule breaker encourages others to do the same and suddenly the front page is dominated by overactive recruiters which definitely leaves those obedient hoods on page three at a disadvantage.
    I'm not suggesting the hoods are knowingly trying to break rules or put others at a disadvantage, although some may be tempted to push their luck.

I put this out as a cry for help on behalf of the readers as well as the hoods -- is there anything that can be done to combat this scenario?

Gratefully,

Bemused of HayDay
    One person has posted over 30 times today in I'M LOOKING FOR A NEIGHBORHOOD. Some of the threads they are responding to are a year old. Whilst, this seems to be their record, they have been doing this for 4 months.

They may not know about Neighborhood Questions and Answers!:
    Q: Can I make lots of threads and posts to make sure my Neighborhood stands out?

A: You are allowed ONE (1) recruiting thread for your NH. and are permitted to make ONE (1) "bump-up" post to it each day. You can post your ad in reply to someone looking to change or join an NH. However, you can NOT post ads for your NH on someone else's recruiting thread nor on other topic threads.
    What's the etiquette in these situations? Let them know in one of the recruitment threads? Private message? Somehow bring it to a moderator's attention? Leave it for a moderator to notice and action?
    Last edited by meonhoc; November 11th, 2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Sorry for late reply, please report such excessive behaviour (report icon on the post)

^^^This!!
    I just noticed that an antique recruiting thread (15 months old) was just revived here in this forum. It may have pre-dated the subforum for recruiting! The person who revived it was not responding to the recruitment--rather it was an attempt to recruit! Out of curiosity, since this thread and the related "How do I bump my recruiting thread" thread were already active and at the top of this forum at the time the old thread hit the top of page 1, I went to the recruiting subforum and found a recruiting thread from the same person who revived the old thread here. That thread had been started 11 hours ago and was bumped by the OP after 3 hours. I'm not one who visits the recruiting subforum, but I can see how it would produce weeping and gnashing of teeth for those who are trying to play fairly in their recruiting efforts.
    Last edited by MiniGardener; November 6th, 2015 at 06:45 AM.

Farm Level 127 | Town 41 | Achievements 143/144

A few suggestions to help with the bumping issue:
    • currently with the headings you can sort by TITLE / THREAD STARTER, REPLIES / VIEWS, LAST POST BY; for the recruiting threads I think it would be more useful to be able to sort by the date of the original post.
    • have a resolved/closed option which differentiates from the open threads e.g. visible in the title (words or icons), different colour, moved to a different area. Also, only allow the originator to reopen or add additional posts once closed.
    • I don't know how practical this is in the forum, but being able to filter/search by the categories already mentioned by others in this thread, would be a great help (e.g. importance of: language, derby, chat, activeness, age (adults only), time-zones; helpfulness).

Saying this, even if these issues were resolved and we could find a perfect match, there is currently little value in my neighbourhood (and many others) using the recruitment forums. My neighbourhood has a common name, so it is almost impossible for potential new members to find us using the current search functionality in Hay Day. Our neighbourhood rarely appears in the results list, even if the search button is selected many times. I'm an android user so Game Centre isn't an option either. See Neighborhood Search for my suggestions.
    Last edited by Dalllyn; November 6th, 2015 at 08:06 AM.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate9la View Post
    Well if you can't beat them, join them
    Seriously? So not welcome.
    GC: Snoopy Lane
    Level: 159; Town: 60; Barn: 5900; Silo: 6250
    Still to go: 5 achievements, 10 permits, 65 puzzle pieces, 37 fish, 1 machine mastery

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheMusicPlay View Post
    After spending way too many years than I care to admit trying to write specifications to communicate things to people, I must disagree with this.

• It's easy to PM respond to a post.
    • Fielding the same question over and over in PM is a sign that the neighborhood description needs to be clarified.
      • If the leader figures that out and updates the thread, then Hooray for them. Their post will be better, they'll get more people, it will be easier on recruits. Everybody wins.
      • If the leader can't figure that out, well, I have no sympathy.

• Fielding questions that are truly weird one-off things ("Hi, is it Ok if I join mid week have a silo that is larger than my barn and only play between 3AM and 7AM?") is exactly the kind of stuff that should be in PM, and exactly the kind of stuff that you don't want bumping a recruiting thread.
    Last edited by XYZZY; November 6th, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
    GC: Snoopy Lane
    Level: 159; Town: 60; Barn: 5900; Silo: 6250
    Still to go: 5 achievements, 10 permits, 65 puzzle pieces, 37 fish, 1 machine mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Dalllyn View Post
    Saying this, even if these issues were resolved and we could find a perfect match, there is currently little value in my neighbourhood (and many others) using the recruitment forums. My neighbourhood has a common name, so it is almost impossible for potential new members to find us using the current search functionality in Hay Day. Our neighbourhood rarely appears in the results list, even if the search button is selected many times. I'm an android user so Game Centre isn't an option either. See Neighborhood Search for my suggestions.
    I agree with this point. There is absolutely no point in my hood trying to recruit in the forum, as we simply don't appear when the name is searched.

If only we could change it...

Hay Day level 179 (main farm) - I have several others
    Boom Beach experience level 51

What we look for in a prospect to join our nhood

Hi all,

Meo, hi and i will try to answer with what we look for when we are recruiting in forums. We are looking for a fit for our no pressure nhood. Active, helpful, chat, not just take. Pretty standard! We want a mix of levels in our nhood, and many of us are getting pretty high, so usually when we recruit we look for a lower level player, maybe even lvl 19, tho usually in 30s or 40s. We will usually take no more than two at a time, so exclude those who are wanting to merge their nhood in with someone else's. Exclude derby driven folks. Exclude those who give no meaningful info about how they play and what they are looking for in a nhood.

Another thing i do is take a look at any other posts they have made on forums, to see if they have been helpful to others.

So far it has been pretty easy to look a couple of times daily thru the I'm Looking for a NH posts and make a decision yes or no for further comms.

Thank you for all u do, all u awesome helpful lovely mods.
    Best, Barb
    Level 100, achievements 108/108, no more counting GC: bqbowers01
    HD NH: Happiness Spot

SCORCHED EARTH SURVIVOR 15Jun2016

The country of the best chocolate & beer? Belgium!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalllyn View Post
    A few suggestions to help with the bumping issue:

Just this suggestion could help A LOT to find the newest potential recruits !
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Farm name : Chou de Bxl (#L2LR2YQL)
    Level 162 / Town 63
    NH: Arctic Valley
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...y-Neighborhood