Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Complete Guide For Those Making the Jump to TH8

A Complete Guide For Those Making the Jump to TH8

This is my first post on the forums along the lines of a 'guide', I would like to apologize if at any point in this I come off as obnoxious or seem to be attempting to be a know-it-all, I am not trying to.

(1) Evaluation: Are you ready to make the jump?

This step is pre-TH8 when you are in your last stages of being a TH7, the good days most would call it. You should start with an overall evaluation of your base, see what buildings you have maxed, what buildings you do not have maxed, what level your troops and barracks are and lastly, what buildings (or walls) you can upgrade during the town hall upgrading period. I wouldn't reccomend leaving yourself with more than 2-3 things to upgrade during the town hall upgrading period as you should be spending most of your time gathering and holding resources for when you first hit TH8 and need to do your big upgrades. One thing that is common and is reasonable is leaving a FEW walls to do while your town hall upgrades, no more than 15 I would say. When moving to TH8 from TH7 you want to have all of your cannons, arhcer towers, mortars, wizards, air defense and your clan castle maxed, without a doubt. The wildcard is tesla's, you want to have both of them built of course, but having them maxed out while it is helpful, is not crucial. Having maxed lvl 7 walls will also help you out, I would reccomend it to everyone.
    When you have evaluated your base and it meets these standards, the jump to TH8 is awaiting you.

(2)Planning: Having your TH ready at the proper time

One step that is often overlooked (even I have overlooked this in the past) is the time you upgrade your TH to lvl 8. No I am not referreing to the day or anything, I am referring to the TIME of day. You want to have your TH ready either mid day or when you wake up, no sense in having it ready right before you go to bed or when you are asleep, as you will not be able to maximize your time and upgrade you can get done right when you hit TH8.
    So making sure your TH will reach lvl 8 when you are awake and active is a very key step in making the transition to TH8 all the more successful.

(3) Initial Impact: What to do first at TH8

When you reach TH8, you should have all your storages full, the first upgrade you want to do is your laboratory so you can get the extremely powerful lvl 5 troops. Depending on how many builders you have for your village the amount of new buildings you can get will vary, but I would reccomend leaving one open so that you may build and upgrade your 50 new walls to a healthy level and actually use them to re-design your base. Here below are a list of the new things you unlock and which ones you should prioritize (defenses):
    (1) Wizard Tower
    (2) Archer Tower
    (3) Air Defense
    (4) Tesla
    (5) Walls
    You want to get all of these defenses built and to a reasonable level bfore you begin to work on maxing your existing defenses, in the words of another forum user, "Any level defense is better than no defense". ALL THESE COME AFTER THE LABORATORY.

The other things you unlock that aren't elixir related will not enhance your base too much, except the dark elixir drill, which should be prioritized above the other non-defensive upgrades.
    First impact and the things you chose to upgrade when you first hit TH8 are crucial to how quickly you progress, upgrade the wrong thing and you could spend days waiting for a free builder.

(4) Troops: What to do in your laboratory

One of the most common questions when people get to TH8 is what troop they should upgrade, what troop first, what after and which ones to prioritize. This all depends on what you use most often, some peoples order of upgrading their troops might be different from yours, which may be different from someone elses. It is important to recgonize and prioritize the troops and spells that you want done first. The first troops I would reccommend for everyone is the archer, this is because they mix into any troops compoisiton just fine, will enhance any army composition, are a great troop to donate to your clan mates and a lot of clans have a lvl5 archer required to join. Here is the order I upgraded my troops and the order I would reccommend for the average player who is not quite sure of what to upgrade.
    (1) Archers
    (2) Giants
    (3) Goblins
    (4) Barbarians
    (5) Wallbreakers
    (6) Wizards
    (7) Balloons (not very fond of them, they can always be swapped in order with the wizards however)
    As for spells, prioritize upgrading your lightning and rage spells, healing is not as effective at higher level gameplay.
    If you think and prioritize and select your troop upgrades properly based on your style of play and your army compositions you can really spice up your army and add quite a deal of power to it before you even have all your troops to lvl5.

(5) Farming: Where to farm and find good resources

From my experiences in TH8, the best places to farm are 1300-1450, 1600+ for dark elixir and sub200/sub50 for the hardcore farmer. I find that anything below 1300 for farming is small raids on lower lvl TH6s and TH7s, I would not reccommend it, but if you are a TH8 farmer having luck down there, keep doing what you're doing! 1600+ is where most people have luck finding their dark elixir raids and you can pull in quite a bit of dark elixir in a day from raiding above 1600+, this place is called 'dark elixir heaven' for a reason. As for the sub200/sub50 ranges, everything that is mentioned about these ranges is in fact true. You can grind roughly 1 million per hour using nothing but goblins, it's amazing! But in order for this to work, unlike the other farming ranges, you have to be on for long periods of time to make it worthwhile, I would say about 2 hours minimum at a time, because once you get offline you will be welcomed back with 100s of trophies and will have to undergo the process of cup-dropping once again.
    So depending on how often you are online or what range best suits your game style, pick your poision!

(6) Maxing Out: What defenses to upgrade and when

When you have all your new defenses at a reasonable level, it is time to move on to the more fun part of TH8, maxing out your defenses.
    The first thing to max out is your splash damages, even though it can be a pain and most don't enjoy the process, logging on and looking at your lvl 6 splash defenses is quite rewarding and nice to see. After these are maxed I would reccomend cannons, as the are cheaper and quicker than any of the other defenses and can make quite a difference. Then archer towers and air defense, I would reccomend archers first, then air defense, but if you want to swtich it around because your air defense is weak and you have all your archers at lvl 8 already, be my guest. The wildcard is your teslas, they can be upgraded in the background while you do your splash damages, or before or after your cannons, archers and air defense, it all depends on how important teslas are to you.

(7) Heroes: Not sure if I spelled that right

Maxing your barbarian king isn't something that will come back to haunt you if you do not do it. Do it if you have a surplus of dark elixir or if you really are interested in "Super Heroes" and want yours progressed for attacks or being on the defensive.

(8) Don't Rush: Enjoy the ride!

Don't become impatient or rush through TH8, although it can be boring at times, you are only each town hall once, you cannot go back. This could be your last chance to effectively farm at sub 200 and definetly your last chance to pick on those TH7s, because of the TH9 loot penatly. Trust me, taking your time and maxing your base will be the best thing you've ever done. And don't be intimidated by the jump to TH8, there is plenty of good loot and you will barely notice the raiding difference once you find your comfort range for farming.

Thank you so much for reading my guide, it's my first one so please leave some feedback below. And if you have anything to add that you think would benefit others, please reply with it, or if there is anything I did not touch down on that you want me to talk about.

I wish the best of luck to those finally making the jump, and if you want me to do any others guides on anything, please leave a reply asking, I would love to do more guides.

Clash On!

CaesarII | Level 108 | TH10 | Trophy Record: 2918 (TH9) | BK: L13 | AQ: L15
    27/250 Lavas | Clan: Centum Hades| Farming In Crystal III
    A Complete Guide to Making the Jump to TH8:
    http://goo.gl/MeZ2Qj
    No, my name does not refer to salad

Thumbs Up

I am making the jump right now, so really enjoyed the read. I've done much of what you detailed.

Maxed out TH7 and using the 8 days to save, and using shields when available in-between. As I'm a juicy 200k/200k target right now.

Totally agree that lab should be #1 and archers the first troop thereafter.

Also agree to prioritize splash damage defenses and new defenses early.

I'm going to do slightly different however and use 3 of my 4 builders to upgrade lab and 2x mortars right off the bat. It's rare to have 4 million to spend at once so I'm getting some big ones out of the way first.

The final builder will slowly turnover the new defenses, place walls first then one by one build the new stuff. I'll only be loaded with elixir during that time but don't care if I get hit while mortars are worked on. Elixir is a surplus resource in my opinion.
    Former Clasher
    Hay Day Farmer Lv 79, Town 23
    Of Chill Reputations - A different way to farm

Quote Originally Posted by daz258 View Post
    I am making the jump right now, so really enjoyed the read. I've done much of what you detailed.

Maxed out TH7 and using the 8 days to save, and using shields when available in-between. As I'm a juicy 200k/200k target right now.

Totally agree that lab should be #1 and archers the first troop thereafter.

Also agree to prioritize splash damage defenses and new defenses early.

I'm going to do slightly different however and use 3 of my 4 builders to upgrade lab and 2x mortars right off the bat. It's rare to have 4 million to spend at once so I'm getting some big ones out of the way first.

The final builder will slowly turnover the new defenses, place walls first then one by one build the new stuff. I'll only be loaded with elixir during that time but don't care if I get hit while mortars are worked on. Elixir is a surplus resource in my opinion.
    Sounds like a good idea, I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed the guide and good luck at TH8, it's an exciting part of every clashers journey

This is a really good guide, but I'm doing it a little differently due to time constraints. My TH8 finishes on Friday (contemplating gemming it, I have 400-ish gems saved, should I?) so before I go I am starting all 3 of my mortars to level 6, because those take 5 days and I won't be on at all. After that I'm leveling up my current defenses as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by JJSCHMITTY View Post
    This is a really good guide, but I'm doing it a little differently due to time constraints. My TH8 finishes on Friday (contemplating gemming it, I have 400-ish gems saved, should I?) so before I go I am starting all 3 of my mortars to level 6, because those take 5 days and I won't be on at all. After that I'm leveling up my current defenses as you said.
    Depends on the number of builders you have, no matter what, you should place 1 on your laboratory, the sooner its done, the sooner you can upgrade your troops. And dedicate 1 or 2 of your builders, whichever works better to getting the new defences, any defence is much better than no defence, even if its just one, you can get your wiz tower, air defense and a slightly leveled archer tower in under a day of upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarII View Post
    Depends on the number of builders you have, no matter what, you should place 1 on your laboratory, the sooner its done, the sooner you can upgrade your troops. And dedicate 1 or 2 of your builders, whichever works better to getting the new defences, any defence is much better than no defence, even if its just one, you can get your wiz tower, air defense and a slightly leveled archer tower in under a day of upgrades.
    I have 4 builders, and I think I'll gem my TH so it is done on tuesday, so I can farm all day tuesday, get my new walls to 6, new defenses to 2 for wiz tower, 5/6 to archer tower, 1 for tesla, 1 for AD, then max my gold storages and get 2 mill elixir so I can get my mortars going to 6 and archer going to 5 over my camp.

Centennial Club
    Although I'm currently only making the jump from 6 to 7 I still feel this thread was interesting and useful.

I could tell you. But i live outside the Matrix. So you wont find me :)
    What a lovely guide nice
    Quote Originally Posted by anarchy86 View Post
    We already have it.

It's called obstacles, and the rate is much higher than 1 gem per day.

When i am going to make that jump, i first upgrade mij mortars,cannons,wizard etc before i build the new stuff.

Completely agree with all the points in this guide! Especially #8 "Don't rush". I'm currently enjoying the end life of my nearly maxxed Th8 by trophy hunting (currently lvl90 at 2200+ trophy), with just few stuff left to upgrade (ADs and King). I'm going down to farm soon and i'm taking all that juicy dark elix that i can find on my way down! My King will be happy!