View Poll Results: How is my idea?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like this idea

157 65.15%
  • No, I do not like this idea

45 18.67%
  • I like this idea, but needs fixes(Please specify)

39 16.18%
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Troop: CANNONEER!

Sitting near a fire with some Barbarians and Valkyries(\/alhalla)

New Troop: ROCKETEER!

Hello everyone and welcome to the Rocketeer troop idea/concept. This thread will be more of a guide rather than an idea, so if you're a Clash fanatic and know a lot about how the game works, I'd appreciate comments from you specifically.

Note: I would appreciate it if you read the entire thread if you can. I would like a complete analysis of your thoughts. I request you add a statement explaining more than the standard "Too OP" or "Too UP".

Due to copywrite issues with another game, I have changed the troop name from Cannoneer to Rocketeer. I am aware a Rocketeer troop has been a wildly speculated troop in the past, but this concept will fit the name quite well, nonetheless.

Important: I take the troop ideas forum very seriously; I need proper details and feedback explaining why or how this particular concept could create problems for the game. If you're a more experienced player, I'd like you to tell me how you would use this troop with one of your farming or war compositions, as it would boost the likelihood of this troop to be a success amid the other ideas. If you don't feel like telling me a strategy, just tell me something that you like about the troop and how it could be useful for you.

Please read all information available on the thread before making comments, be sure not to miss anything.

I'm always coming up with new tactics and news for the Rocketeer, every so often I'll post something within the comments, so stay tuned if you're interested

Important:​Since the release of the Baby Dragon and Miner, there is a chance we may not see a completely new design for a troop like this. Supercell has been bringing troops from Clash Royale over, but with completely new and unique abilities. If they were to bring another one of Clash Royale's troops over, we might see something like the Royal Giant or Sparky with an ability this troop concept has.

Table of Contents:

Summary

Statistics & Troop Level Info

Attacking Strategies

Army Compositions

Defensive Strategies

Frequently asked Questions and Answers

Bonus/Trivia

Pros & Cons section

Changes made

Summary:

(The troop will target a defense and reduce its overall DPS, and will also dish out substantial damage, itself.)

• Unlocked at Town Hall 10.

•The Damage Reduction time and Attack Speed is 3 seconds.

Level 2 upgrade available for TH10, Levels 3 and 4 available for TH11.

Statistics & Troop Level Info

Preferred
    Target
    Attack Type Housing Space Training
    Time
    Movement
    Speed
    Attack Speed Range
    Defenses Area Splash 0.3 Tile Radius
    (Ground and Air)
    14 4m 16 3s 5 tiles

Level Damage per
    Second
    Damage per
    Attack
    Hitpoints Damage Reduction
    Training
    Cost
    Research
    Cost
    Research
    Time
    1 150 450 864 20% 350 N/A N/A
    2 185 555 960 25% 410 85,000 12 days
    3 205 615 1056 35% 465 95,000 13 days
    4 224 672 1152 45% 505 120,000 14 days

Attacking Strategies:

Tanking/Range/Hitpoints: Place the Rocketeer behind other offensive and/or tank units at the start of an attack to assure protection from defenses. The Rocketeer will be able to attack defensive structures from a range, and cause those defenses to deal less damage as long as it stays on target.

The Rocketeer has enough Hitpoints to tolerate sufficient damage from defenses, but it is recommended to place them behind tank units, such as Golems or Giants at the start of an attack.

Place Wizards, Witches, Barbarians, Archers, and Giants (or Golems) first to destroy trash buildings. The Rocketeer will destroy defenses and make them deal less damage to help aid your troops in battle.

Using Spells: Using the Rocketeer with a Rage Spell may be very effective, as it will allow the Rocketeer to dish out more damage and get reach defenses quicker. The faster you get a Rocketeer or Rocketeers to target defenses, the safer the rest of your army will be. Skeleton spells may be used to assist the Rocketeer by distracting defenses long enough for a Rocketeer to take them down.

Advantages over Defenses: The Eagle Artillery has a blind spot. It is big enough for the Rocketeer to safely target it without being targeted, in return, from the defense. Try and get the Rocketeer inside the blind spot to decrease its damage. This defense is capable of destroying your main tank/offensive forces, but the Rocketeer can prevent such a catastrophic defense from doing so!

The Rocketeer will be able to reduce the damage of multi target Inferno Towers, which should be very beneficial for many ground armies.

The Bomb Tower brings a hefty disadvantage to large groups of melee troops. Try and take down the Bomb Tower early if you can, take advantage of the range of the Rocketeer.

Healers/Killsquads/Advantages over Geared Up Defenses: It wouldn't be a bad idea to use a few Healers to keep the Rocketeer alive. With the damage reduction ability that he has, keeping him alive with Healers could be very beneficial for your army.
    (Much more viable after the June 2017 update).

Using the Rocketeer in a killsquad will be very beneficial. With proper tanks and support troops, the Rocketeer will be able to safely carry out its objective. Its longer range will open up doors for many killsquad variants.

Are the new Gear Up functions causing you problems? The deadly burst fire of the double cannons and quicker attack speed from the archer towers allow for more damage in shorter amounts of time, but be aware that the Gear Up function decreases the range of the defense. The Rocketeer will be safer to use on bases with many geared up defenses, as it would be less likely to be targeted by the shorter-ranged, geared-up defenses.

The geared up defenses may be a bit troublesome, and it will always help to have a Rocketeer around to reduce their damage, as well. (It's probable there will be options for more than one geared up defense in the future, as of now we may only have one.)

Army Compositions:

GoRoWiWi-(Rocketeer[s], Golems, Wizards, Witches[TH9+]) Send Golems in first to tank for your units, the Wizards and Witches will clear trash buildings. The Rocketeer will target the nearest defense, weaken that defense's damage input, and eventually destroy it; making it easier for the rest of your army.
    (Much more promising after the October 2016 update[Witch buff])

RoBarch/RoBam-[TH7+]Deploy Barbarians, Archers, and/or Minions to help destroy trash buildings. The Rocketeer will target the defenses and weaken them to support the rest of your troops.

RoGiViz/RoGoViz-(Rocketeer[s],Giants/Golems, Valkyries, Wizards[TH8+]) Send Giants or Golems to tank for all your units. The Wizards and Valkyries will be the ones destroying most of the base while the Rocketeers support by weakening and destroying defenses.

GoRoLaLoon-(Rocketeer[s], Golems, Lava Hounds, Balloons[TH9+]) Deploy Golems first to distract defenses, and deploy Rocketeers behind to destroy those defenses so your Balloons/Lava Hounds don't get distracted with them later on. The Rocketeer could be used in a Ground-Air hybrid attack.

GoRoWiTaur/GiRoWiTaur-(Rocketeer[s], Golems/Giants, Wizards, Minotaurs[TH10+]) Send Golems in first to tank, and send the Rocketeer behind to weaken the closest defense. The Wizards will destroy the nearest trash buildings and eventually fight their way into the base with the help of the Minotaur; the Minotaur will pierce through walls and easily open up and clear paths for all your troops.

RoGoWiPe-(Rocketeer[s], PEKKA[s], Wizards, Golems[TH8+]) Gowipe is a very popular strategy, but a Rocketeer in this army will make it better; Golems down first, Wizards to create the funnel, Rocketeer[s] down to take on the defenses, PEKKA[s] down last to get to the core while also sustaining fire from defenses.
    (Much more promising after October 2016 update[Teslas no longer deal 2x more damage to Pekka])

BaRoGiWi-(Rocketeer[s], Baby Dragons, Giants, Wizards[TH9+]) The Baby dragons have a unique ability in which they rage themselves if left alone in the air. With a Rocketeer and Baby Dragon mix, structures will be cleared quickly; Rocketeers will weaken defenses and support the Baby Dragons. The Baby Dragons should move along with ease with their enraging bonus.

GoRoWiMin-(Rocketeer[s], Golems, Wizards, Miners[TH10+]) The Miners have a unique utility in which they will burrow underground and dodge defense fire. Miners could be used to distract defenses for a short time for the Rocketeer to get a few shots off. Miners would also act as a good cleanup troop.

Valkyrie-Tornado w/Rocketeer-(Valkyries, Wizards, Giants, Healers, Rocketeer[TH8+]) This is a personal favorite, and many Valkyrie users use this as a primary farming strategy: Giants down first with Healers to keep them up, Wizards will help set up the funnel for your Valkyries, and the Rocketeer will be toward the back to take out defenses from a range. This would mostly be favorable for those TH10's and 11's, but would work just as well for TH8-9.

Rocketeer Solo Launch(Rocketeer Walk)-[TH8+]See what I did there? Anyway, a Rocketeer walk may be very efficient and much easier if you're looking to get specific defenses out of the way. It functions the same as a queen walk, albeit more opportunities for the types of bases you plan to attack.
    (More viable after June 2017 update)GoBoWiRo
    -(Rocketeer[s], Golem[s] Bowlers, Witches[TH10+]) Bowlers and Witches are quite an effective combination, and with a few Rocketeers involved, it can be even more effective! A Rocketeer can help set up a cleaner funnel and can also help keep your witches and skeletons alive by targeting any splash damage defenses that could hinder them.

How to Defend from this troop: (Defensive Strategies)

•Spread your defenses out. This unit is a little slower, and it could take it some time to reach its next target.

•Place bombs outside of your base, and try to get the Rocketeer to run into them to deal higher damage.

•Have more powerful and longer-ranged defenses as a second or third wave of defense. As a Rocketeer is focused on a defense that's in front of another more powerful and longer-ranged defense, (such as the X-Bow or Archer Tower), the X-Bow and/or Archer Tower will be able to fire on the Rocketeer while it's distracted with a defense in front of it.

•Set one of your Inferno Towers to Single Target. It would be catastrophic for the Rocketeer to be targeted, as the Inferno Tower will probably destroy the Rocketeer before it even has a chance to weaken it.

•Set some of your X-Bows to ground and spread them out to fully maximize coverage against the Rocketeer. The X-bows will be able to pick off the Rocketeer from afar; X-bows received a new level in the October 2016 update.

•For TH11, make sure to keep it difficult for an attacker to get to your Eagle Artillery. The blind spot is large; the Rocketeer will be able to decrease its damage and HP. The Eagle Artillery would easily be capable of destroying the Rocketeer quickly. The defense will target High-Housing space troops, meaning the Rocketeer could be one of the defense's primary targets.

•Refrain from gearing up all or most of your cannons/archer towers, as Rocketeers would have significant range and safety advantages and could potentially steamroll such bases depending on the overall design.

Rocketeer in CC:

Having a Rocketeer inside your clan castle would decimate an attacking force involving other Rocketeers; they will rip through troops if not dealt with quickly, and could potentially leave opposing Rocketeers out in the open if the defending Rocketeer takes down all your tank troops.
    With its range, a Rocketeer could turn the tides, or perhaps work in your favor for funneling depending on the attack. If running a Valkyrie strat, a Rocketeer might be a hindrance, as groups of Valkyrie are important.

If running some form of Gowipe strat, the pekka's damage and health has a chance of being reduced if met face to face with a Rocketeer.

If running a Witch-based strat, you might find a Rocketeer to act like a Millipede fending itself from endless hordes of ants, as the skeletons from the witch would overwhelm a Rocketeer and take it down quickly.

Dropping a Poison or Skeleton spell on a defending Rocketeer will help keep the rest of your army alive. A Poison or Skeleton spell will significantly delay or even kill a Rocketeer.

Frequently asked Questions and Answers:

•17 Rocketeers will be able to fit in completely maxed Army Camps. 19 in total if you add the two that will fit into a level 5+ Clan Castle.

Training a full army of Rocketeers is not recommended. Even though they can deal a lot of damage and cause defenses to deal less damage, they would do much better with more cover from other troops.

Will a Poison Spell negate the Rocketeer's ability to weaken troops?- No. The Poison Spell significantly delays the attack speed of troops. It's unlikely that the Rocketeer will be able to do too much while inside a Poison Spell. Unless you combat an opposing Rocketeer with other troops, I don't think any negational affect is necessary.

Since the Rocketeer fires every three seconds, and the damage reduction time is also three seconds, won't the Rocketeer endlessly weaken a defense as long as it isn't killed?- Yes. The whole purpose of this troop is to support your units by means of weakening a defense's DPS. As long as the Rocketeer stays alive, and continuously fires on a defense to weaken its DPS, the defense will continue to be weakened until it is destroyed.

Does the damage reduction stack if two or more Rocketeers are firing on a single defense?- No, the damage reduction does not stack if there is more than one Rocketeer on one defense.

Will a Rocketeer be able to weaken the DPS of a troop?-Yes. If a Rocketeer is able to attack a troop, that troop's DPS will be reduced. Will this troop be too strong on defense? I don't think so. As long as you have a Poison Spell to significantly delay the Rocketeer's attack speed, there shouldn't be an issue.

Bonus/Trivia:

The Rocketeer will be the first ranged defense-targeting troop.

The Rocketeer has the second largest range.

The Rocketeer will be the first major mechanical-based troop besides the Balloon.

Pros & Cons:

The Rocketeer may be of use in many strategies, as it has the potential to work well with many different troops. Everyone likes to have a little bit more protection for their units, and the Rocketeer is viable in this regard.
    Reasons you may decide not to use this would be either the potential cost and/or time it takes to train.
    If you like to farm heavily, the Rocketeer may not be efficient enough for both time and/or resources. If you use a lot of fast armies, the Rocketeer may take some getting used to in terms of time and AI.

Like the Bowler, this troop can be "squishy", yet very strong if put in good situations. I've noticed it isn't hard for troops to outrun Bowlers if they're placed toward the back, so this is the same kind of problem you could have with the Rocketeer if you have poor deployment tactics; faster troops could bolt ahead of the Rocketeer and potentially take fire from defenses before the Rocketeer can do anything.

If you have appropriate knowledge of troop AI and a general understanding of the fundamentals, the Rocketeer may work in your favor very well. Many people like to experiment by only seeing if a troop can get high percentages, I like to look for what a troop is best used for, and I implement its uses into one of my armies.

Unfortunately, the Rocketeer may not be great if you just "throw it in the fire" behind troops and hope it to be affective. It's a slow troop, so deployment is a big factor. You see why many people failed with Bowlers or any other troop in particular back then; they have to be deployed more specifically. Bowlers don't have to nowadays since the massive buff.

The Rocketeer will always have a chance of weakening strong defenses if you can funnel them well enough. People are constantly making crazy ideas on how to counter Inferno towers, but with this troop available you may have a chance of bringing one-less Freeze spell, as the Rocketeer will be able to substantially bring down a Multi-target Inferno's Damage-45%- along with the Eagle Artillery and X-Bows. The Rocketeer may not work as well on Single-target Infernos, though.

Overall, the Rocketeer is a troop of immense power and capability at a moderate cost of both dark elixir and potential risk factors. The game is always changing, and more and more defenses and features will come.

Thanks for reading.
    Like it? Here's how you can help!

•Strategy ideas.
    •Ideas to Defend against this troop.
    •Description ideas.
    •Questions about how this troop works.

Supercell is a great company and always takes into account people's ideas, so I believe if this thread gets enough support, the Rocketeer could end up in the game!

Changes made:

Anything that has been changed to the troop will be added here.

*Research Costs added (August 4th)

*Lowered Damage Decrease by 5% for all levels (August 4th)

*Attack Speed Decreased from 4 to 3 seconds (August 8th)

*Weak spot and Blast radius Decreased from 2.5 to 2 tiles(August 8th)

*Damage Decrease time reduced from 4 to 3 seconds to fix complications(August 14th)

*Attack type changed from Single Target to Area Splash so it can defend better on defense. (August 22nd)

*Housing space increased from 16 to 20. (August 22nd)

*Health Points increased across all levels. (August 23th)

*Housing Space increased from 20 to 25. (August 24th)

*Range decreased from 6 to 5 tiles. (August 24th)

*Decreased Hitpoints across all levels. (August 24th)

*Minotaur idea added to the list of Army Compositions. (August 28th)

*Increased Training Time from 25 minutes to 30 minutes. (August 26th)

*Decreased DPS across all levels. (September 4th)

*Added two more ways to defend against the Rocketeer. (October 3rd)

*Increased Training Cost across all levels. (October 18th)

*Removed the Rocketeer's inability to target troops within 2 tiles. The Rocketeer now has a full range of 5 tiles, and will no longer back up to kill troops. (October 25th)

*Increased DPS and Damage Reduction across all levels due to TH11 update announcement. (October 31st, 2015)

*Decreased Housing Space from 25 to 20. (July 12th, 2016)

*Name changed from Cannoneer to Rocketeer. (August 11th, 2016)

*Targets switched from Ground only to Ground & Air. (August 11th, 2016)

*Removed Death Damage feature. The death damage of the Bomb Tower is significant enough, and the explosion of the Rocketeer is no longer necessary. (October 9th, 2016)

*Massively increased hitpoints across all levels for more liability. (March 5th, 2017)

*Increased training cost across all levels. (March 5th, 2017)

*Decreased housing space from 20 to 14 to allow for more flexibility for armies.
    (March 17th, 2017)

Last edited by jaronhudson15; July 27th, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

Trying to explain to Amanda Seyfried what "Give us the ring my Precious eyes" are :smirk:
    Seems interesting, although this troop has been suggested many times before and I have seen many threads good and bad on it this one is my favourite.

I have one question. You said the damage decrease time was 4 seconds, does that mean that every time it attacks another 4 seconds will be taken away before it can attack again, for example: first attack (wait four seconds) second attack (wait 8 seconds). Or do you mean it can only attack every 4 seconds?

Thank you DragonX01 for my fantastic Sig!

Banny Veniks #YUOROVO8

Quote Originally Posted by J1M808 View Post
    Seems interesting, although this troop has been suggested many times before and I have seen many threads good and bad on it this one is my favourite.

I have one question. You said the damage decrease time was 4 seconds, does that mean that every time it attacks another 4 seconds will be taken away before it can attack again, for example: first attack (wait four seconds) second attack (wait 8 seconds). Or do you mean it can only attack every 4 seconds?
    I read it to meaning that lvl1 does damage reduce for 4 seconds, lvl2 for 8 seconds ETC. Personally, I think 4 is a bit OP, 2 seconds each lvl would be more balanced.

Now, in my opinion, all troops should have a REASON for their powers. Like, a Witch can necro skeleton's because... Well, she's a witch. Why would a Cannoneer make a defense do any less damage?
    My best threads: The Overseer, Flying Shark,Shockwave Spell, Empusa, FLAMEingo
    Quote Originally Posted by raidingisfun View Post
    Be careful, soon they are going to start charging for pointless threads on the forums too. A lot of you are going to be broke!

The Cannoneer will attack every 3 seconds, and the damage decrease will also be 3 seconds. The Cannoneer will continue to keep the defense weakened until it's destroyed. Damage Decrease time does not increase as the Cannoneer keeps damaging the defense.
    Last edited by jaronhudson15; August 21st, 2015 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theking8133 View Post
    I read it to meaning that lvl1 does damage reduce for 4 seconds, lvl2 for 8 seconds ETC. Personally, I think 4 is a bit OP, 2 seconds each lvl would be more balanced.

Now, in my opinion, all troops should have a REASON for their powers. Like, a Witch can necro skeleton's because... Well, she's a witch. Why would a Cannoneer make a defense do any less damage?
    The Damage Decrease time does not increase as you upgrade the Cannoneer. 4 seconds isn't a lot of time, and 25% damage decrease for a level 1 Cannoneer isn't too much of a decrease.
    Let' say the Cannoneer targets a Level 13 Cannon, which does 98DPS. A level 1 Cannoneer will give a 25% damage decrease.
    If we take 25% away from 98, we get around 73. So the Cannon will deal 73DPS for the 4 seconds of the damage decrease. This is the Cannoneer's unique ability.
    Last edited by jaronhudson15; August 4th, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Trying to explain to Amanda Seyfried what "Give us the ring my Precious eyes" are :smirk:
    Quote Originally Posted by jaronhudson15 View Post
    The Damage Decrease time does not increase as you upgrade the Cannoneer. 4 seconds isn't a lot of time, and 25% damage decrease for a level 1 Cannoneer isn't too much of a decrease.
    Let' say the Cannoneer targets a Level 13 Cannon, which does 98DPS. A level 1 Cannoneer will give a 25% damage decrease.
    If we take away 25% away from 98, we get around 73. So the Cannon will deal 73DPS for the 4 seconds of the damage decrease. This is the Cannoneer's unique ability.
    Ok got it, sounds good

Thank you DragonX01 for my fantastic Sig!

Banny Veniks #YUOROVO8

Ok got it, sounds good
    Glad you like it, and thanks for the support!

Banned
    Good idea.....

EDIT: try to add some pictures...
    Last edited by Antdroid; August 3rd, 2015 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antdroid View Post
    Good idea.....

EDIT: try to add some pictures...
    All thanks to you bud.

I will try and add some pictures in the future. I currently have no artwork for the troop yet, only a minor description in the summary. Working on it though.

I've made a troop like this few days ago, the Tree Ent. I like yours however, I feel his DPS is too high. Additionally the damage decrease is way too high. It needs some balances.