Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [interesting discussion] Are Valks Really the Worst Troop in the Game?

Are Valks Really the Worst Troop in the Game?

Hardly anyone uses valks. They've earned a reputation for being the worst troop in the game. Their reputation is so great that when I talked with someone who said he would use valks in his new war army, I immediately thought, "Why? Valks are such a bad troop". However, I couldn't provide myself a reason why valks were bad other than that because they were.

The surprising thing is, valks at TH8 and TH9, based on stats, are better than PEKKAs. Their reputation might make some think "this guy is full of bull; I should leave this thread immediately". This is the extent to which valks are hated, which is for no reason than that no one popularized a valkyrie army.

Let's look at stats:

I'll be talking about valks at TH8 and TH9. I am not familiar enough with how inferno towers interact with valks to make a definite case for this being true at TH10.

A level 2 valk has 99 dps and 1200 hp. Over 3 valkyries can take the place of 1 PEKKA in terms of housing space. This means that the combined dps of valks is 297 and the combined hp is 3000. At level 4 this is even greater, with 3 having a combined dps of 372 and a combined hp of 3600.

The PEKKA level 3 has dps of 300 and hp of 3500. At TH8, PEKKAs have greater hp than 3 valks.

However, valks possess several distinct advantages over PEKKAs:
    1) Split over 3 units. Instead of making them weak to splash (whose damage is insignificant anyway), this allows 3 valks to be healed at the same time, tripling the healing given under a heal spell. At TH8 and 9, this is a significant advantage as a heal spell will make the valks virtually invincible if the defending clan castle is not present.
    2) PEKKAs are weak to teslas. Valks aren't. Enough said.
    3) PEKKAs attack slowly, causing them to overkill buildings, wasting much of their dps. This means that they are even weaker to a defensive clan castle than valkyries.
    4) Valks have splash. PEKKAs don't.

At TH9 there is no comparison. Valks are better than PEKKAs, and not a single argument can be brought up in favor of PEKKAs other than that valks have a tendency to run ahead of golems. EDIT: and spring traps, but the stat difference, and the 4 advantages above, are more than enough to compensate.

It is therefore extremely illogical to use PEKKAs at TH8 and TH9. Take PEKKAs out of your GoWiPe or GoLoWiPe and put in valks instead. Also save the dark elixir to upgrade them, if you like to do ground attacks.
    Last edited by X7386; June 15th, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
    X7

CoC Level 109 | TH 9 | TWSS | Surgical Hog User

Lava Hounds aren't OP, only laloon(ion). See the math | Valks > PEKKAs

Quote Originally Posted by X7386 View Post
    Hardly anyone uses valks. They've earned a reputation for being the worst troop in the game. Their reputation is so great that when I talked with someone who said he would use valks in his new war army, I immediately thought, "Why? Valks are such a bad troop". However, I couldn't provide myself a reason why valks were bad other than that because they were.

The surprising thing is, valks at TH8 and TH9, based on stats, are better than PEKKAs. Their reputation might make some think "this guy is full of bull; I should leave this thread immediately". This is the extent to which valks are hated, which is for no reason than that no one popularized a valkyrie army.

Let's look at stats:

I'll be talking about valks at TH8 and TH9. I am not familiar enough with how inferno towers interact with valks to make a definite case for this being true at TH10.

A level 2 valk has 99 dps and 1200 hp. Over 3 valkyries can take the place of 1 PEKKA in terms of housing space. This means that the combined dps of valks is 297 and the combined hp is 3000. At level 4 this is even greater, with 3 having a combined dps of 372 and a combined hp of 3600.

The PEKKA level 3 has dps of 300 and hp of 3500. At TH8, PEKKAs have greater hp than 3 valks.

However, valks possess several distinct advantages over PEKKAs:
    1) Split over 3 units. Instead of making them weak to splash (whose damage is insignificant anyway), this allows 3 valks to be healed at the same time, tripling the healing given under a heal spell. At TH8 and 9, this is a significant advantage as a heal spell will make the valks virtually invincible if the defending clan castle is not present.
    2) PEKKAs are weak to teslas. Valks aren't. Enough said.
    3) PEKKAs attack slowly, causing them to overkill buildings, wasting much of their dps. This means that they are even weaker to a defensive clan castle than valkyries.
    4) Valks have splash. PEKKAs don't.

At TH9 there is no comparison. Valks are better than PEKKAs, and not a single argument can be brought up in favor of PEKKAs other than that valks have a tendency to run ahead of golems.

It is therefore extremely illogical to use PEKKAs at TH8 and TH9. Take PEKKAs out of your GoWiPe or GoLoWiPe and put in valks instead. Also save the dark elixir to upgrade them, if you like to do ground attacks.

Valks are are not the worst troop, and they actually have a lot of use. A lot of th8-10 use armies such as GoVaPe, and Valks have a lot of use for things such as taking out war CC's and defending your base.

So why are Pekkas more commonly used? Probably because they tank. For example in GoWiPe and other Golem armies Golems will often split off from Wiz at some point leaving Wiz vulnerable. This is because Goems target defences where as Wiz will target anything. Using a Pekka in these armies helps because they'll target any building, thus will stay with wiz and tank for them. This is one example of many which explains why Pekka are more used.

Titan, Town Hall 8, Level 101

382 War Stars and counting.

Clan: LP5 Griffin (Co Leader)

Did you happen to factor in spring traps, giant bombs and the tendency of a valk to waste a lot of time moving to get between things before attacking? Plus the fact that getting between buildings nearly always brings them into range of other defences?

Use whatever works for you but I'm pretty sure the durability of pekkas is what makes them more popular.

This is the extent to which valks are hated, which is for no reason than that no one popularized a valkyrie army.
    the \/alhalla might disagree with this...they even provide a great guide called the Valkyrie Handbook...

Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
    Did you happen to factor in spring traps, giant bombs and the tendency of a valk to waste a lot of time moving to get between things before attacking? Plus the fact that getting between buildings nearly always brings them into range of other defences?

Use whatever works for you but I'm pretty sure the durability of pekkas is what makes them more popular.
    +1 10char10

Valks are better than PEKKAs, and not a single argument can be brought up in favor of PEKKAs other than that valks have a tendency to run ahead of golems.
    Spring traps though?

Lol...absolute statements that lead off by telling people they're wrong are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post

Spring traps can only spring 1 valk each. Besides, who places spring traps to stop valks? The stat bonus outweighs this disadvantage.

Giant bombs are negated by the fact that you can heal valks through a giant bomb.

Valks walk faster than PEKKAs, which compensates for more distance to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobZaharchuk View Post
    Valks are are not the worst troop, and they actually have a lot of use. A lot of th8-10 use armies such as GoVaPe, and Valks have a lot of use for things such as taking out war CC's and defending your base.

So why are Pekkas more commonly used? Probably because they tank. For example in GoWiPe and other Golem armies Golems will often split off from Wiz at some point leaving Wiz vulnerable. This is because Goems target defences where as Wiz will target anything. Using a Pekka in these armies helps because they'll target any building, thus will stay with wiz and tank for them. This is one example of many which explains why Pekka are more used.
    I think PEKKAs are more commonly used because GoWiPe was invented before the valk buff. GoWiPe was invented for Th10, then th9s and 8s started using it. The valk buff came and no one cared because they were used to using GoWiPe.
    X7

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalEGG View Post
    Spring traps though?

Lol...absolute statements that lead off by telling people they're wrong are fun.
    Haha. Forgot about spring traps. That's the only other disadvantage. However, stats outweigh.
    X7

I don't think they're the worst troop by far. We have a TH10 in our clan that uses max valks in place of pekka, and they work very well. I would use them, but I prefer air attacks, and mine are still level 1. I really don't like pekka, though, so I'll probably max valks before I max pekka.

The title would be more suitable being "least popular troop" rather than "worst troop". Personally, there are others worse than valkyrie.
    TH9 | Level 262| 1649 war stars | 2B GG, 1.89B EE, 8m HH

Friend in Need 1.74 million | Sharing is Caring 45k | BH8 PB 4600
    Player Tag #CVL802G