Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Possible issues with the proposed opt in/out derby idea

Quote Originally Posted by glinda View Post
    Well said! In the workplace the human resource may well need to be managed. People seem to forget we're talkking about a cute little game here, not the next Google .
    It's not just a cute game anymore from the threads I'm reading. Neighbors are becoming the new resources. Just reading some of the derby threads. They want to know how productive you are before joining their neighborhood. That's an employer-employee relationship, not a "let's go chat and farm for the fun of it" relationship.

I think what Orion was maybe trying to say is that the neighbourhood is an aspect of the game that needs to be managed not that someone needs to manage (be the big boss of) the people in it? Sort of like Tiggerr's post about how neighbourhoods can work out their own way of managing the Derby, but just phrased in a different way.

That being said I've read numerous posts on here about leaders wanting to monitor what Derby tasks their neighbourhood is doing and how they are getting on with them, with others chiming in saying that whilst SC will never implement any sort of task monitoring they have found a way round it by setting up spreadsheets and all kinds of other things so they are obviously looking at it as resource management. And many neighbourhoods have been set up with the express purpose of competing in and winning the Derby so I guess if you join a hood like that then you know what you're getting into and friendship doesn't really come into it - which is fine if that's what you want and have chosen.

I would run for the hills screaming to get away from a neighbourhood like that, I play Hayday to de-stress and relax - anything that involves meeting deadlines or being monitored or checked up on is too much like my real life job, no thank you very much. I'm in a very low key neighbourhood, we're not super chatty in fact pre Derby we never really chatted at all & we still don't share anything about our personal lives so I don't have that feeling of playing with a 'family' or a group of friends which is fine with me as I prefer to play pretty indepenendently, I don't like to feel obliged to others or them to me and my neighbours are the same which is why we all rub along well together. Plus we are a bunch of lacksadaisical slackers who have never got past the second horseshoe in any Derby and couldn't organise the proverbial heavy drinking session in a brewery

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orion10 View Post
    It's not just a cute game anymore from the threads I'm reading. Neighbors are becoming the new resources. Just reading some of the derby threads. They want to know how productive you are before joining their neighborhood. That's an employer-employee relationship, not a "let's go chat and farm for the fun of it" relationship.

That may be because the "productive" hoods are having problems attracting and keeping hoodies. So they need to sctively recruit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemster View Post
    I think what Orion was maybe trying to say is that the neighbourhood is an aspect of the game that needs to be managed not that someone needs to manage (be the big boss of) the people in it? Sort of like Tiggerr's post about how neighbourhoods can work out their own way of managing the Derby, but just phrased in a different way.

That being said I've read numerous posts on here about leaders wanting to monitor what Derby tasks their neighbourhood is doing and how they are getting on with them, with others chiming in saying that whilst SC will never implement any sort of task monitoring they have found a way round it by setting up spreadsheets and all kinds of other things so they are obviously looking at it as resource management. And many neighbourhoods have been set up with the express purpose of competing in and winning the Derby so I guess if you join a hood like that then you know what you're getting into and friendship doesn't really come into it - which is fine if that's what you want and have chosen.

I would run for the hills screaming to get away from a neighbourhood like that, I play Hayday to de-stress and relax - anything that involves meeting deadlines or being monitored or checked up on is too much like my real life job, no thank you very much. I'm in a very low key neighbourhood, we're not super chatty in fact pre Derby we never really chatted at all & we still don't share anything about our personal lives so I don't have that feeling of playing with a 'family' or a group of friends which is fine with me as I prefer to play pretty indepenendently, I don't like to feel obliged to others or them to me and my neighbours are the same which is why we all rub along well together. Plus we are a bunch of lacksadaisical slackers who have never got past the second horseshoe in any Derby and couldn't organise the proverbial heavy drinking session in a brewery
    I play to de-stress also. It just seems to me that what they are complaining about and how it's being solved is coming down to resource management. Posting of tasks you completed is a part of it as is interviewing potential members to see how productive they are.

Not quite what the Derby was initially intended to be imo.
    Last edited by orion10; May 31st, 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orion10 View Post
    In my opinion not all NHs will evolve to this. People who are looking for that sort of thing will gravitate towards NHs that measure productivity and so on. To me it remains a cute little game and if the group I'm in today felt too much like a job, I would bid them farewell. I'm not even convinced this playstyle is very common beyond this forum since in every derby I've seen, only 4-5 groups out of the 10 (?) in the derby are actually participating.

I would run for the hills screaming to get away from a neighbourhood like that, I play Hayday to de-stress and relax - anything that involves meeting deadlines or being monitored or checked up on is too much like my real life job, no thank you very much. I'm in a very low key neighbourhood, we're not super chatty in fact pre Derby we never really chatted at all & we still don't share anything about our personal lives so I don't have that feeling of playing with a 'family' or a group of friends which is fine with me as I prefer to play pretty indepenendently, I don't like to feel obliged to others or them to me and my neighbours are the same which is why we all rub along well together.
    I agree with everything you have said, Gemster. When we formed our NH, we decided to have one global cultural value, and three rules:

Global cultural value: Play your game your way, in the way that makes you happy.

Rule 1: Anything in your shop is for sale to anyone, and they can buy one, none, or all.

Rule 2: Keep it clean in chat - we have kids in the NH.

Rule 3: HAVE FUN

Our NH members mostly participate in the Derby, and we usually place -- but this is not the driving force that keeps us together and was not the reason we came together. We wanted a calm, peaceful, drama-free place to chat, help, relax, and have fun. We don't keep track of who Derbies hard and who Derbies lite (or not at all).

I am the leader, but I don't "manage" folks in my NH. We are mostly adults, and the ones that are kids have Moms to manage them already ha ha.

Plus we are a bunch of lacksadaisical slackers who have never got past the second horseshoe in any Derby and couldn't organise the proverbial heavy drinking session in a brewery
    Ummm -- I could organize that if you needed me to But I won't be the designated driver for a bunch of drunk farmers -- LOL

Lev 133/Rep Lev 34 US Central Time Zone (GMT-6) FIELD ARTIST, STORYTELLER, and FROG WRANGLER 132/137 AchievementsProud Graduate of the University of Texas -- HOOK 'EM HORNS!! Thx PEACHIE for AWESOME sig pic! DONE with permits May 2019 - Opting out of this BORING grind for bad decos. Sanctuary: Adults complete 25 Dec 2017. Babies complete: 06 Jun 2019

I understand what Orion is suggesting. I just think it doesn't need to be done artificially by SC. People will naturally sort themselves out into the groups that suit their preference and SC do not really need to do much beyond deciding where they want to be on the spectrum between "The derby IS Hayday, period" and "The derby is just another little mini-game in a cute little farming game" with of course all the shades in between. Currently they are making a deliberate choice to not provide the tools for the spread-sheeting-must-win-at all-costs-approach. Maybe eventually they will choose to promote a more competetive playstyle, time will tell. LIke you said, for me also it will never be more than a pleasant pastime and the day it starts feeling like work, I'll find something more fun to do with my rare and precious free time.

Centennial Club
    More then just the "hey we all just want to be best friends" and "I have a whip, I will use it if you don't do your tasks" Nh's out there.

Reading the new posts, I'm getting that while people are trying to defend their way in their NH, they are knocking other people's way of playing in their NH. It might not be their intention, but it is once again coming off that way.

There is so many types of NH's out there that fall in between the 2 extremes, why can't we all get that they are all ok for the right people. That middle is very large, and some will tell your their NH is hardcore players, yet when you get in, it's really not hardcore. Some will tell you they are best friends, but when you get in they are not, it's all drama. Some will say they are laid back, yet when you get in they are so uptight and have more made up rules then someone running a NH with a whip. But this view on these NH's is only the same for a few, depends on how they see it and what is hardcore, what is best friends, what is drama, who has a whip, depending on how that viewer plays themselves.
    Charliedagg
    Level 113

This is absolutely the very last post I will make in this thread. Can we please just let it die now. I tried very hard to shove it to the second page but Charlie,brought it up again. (No offense Charlie, I know you had important things to say). But since it was originally written to discuss problems I thought I saw with a feature that I now doubt we will get,can we all just agree that what works for you works for you and isn't bad, or better or worse than what works for me but just different.

No one needs to defend what they have chosen to do and no one needs to point out why they couldn't or wouldn't do what anyone else is doing. Everyone will figure out what works for them eventually.

Time to put this one to bed.

Tigg

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!