Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] How is my base? - evaluate your own base

Banned

[Guide] How is my base? - evaluate your own base

There is no right or wrong way to make a base. There are just different ways of looking at things and before asking anyone else's opinnion about your base, answer these few quoestions to yourself.
    1- Am I happy with my base? If you are, then there is no need to change it in any way, no matter what others say.
    2- Does my base fill my needs of what I want my base to do? Again, if all your needs are met, there is hardly a reason to change things.
    3- Should I already go higher up in TH? If the first two questions you did answer yes and you want to move forward in the game, then yes, I think you could go up a TH level, if you want.

So, let us begin the guide part, shall we? If at any moment, you feel that this isn't helping or you don't agree, you can as well save the time of reading and do something else instead

1 - Happiness or lack of it

You are not happy with your base you say. First, you have to think, why aren't you happy. You saw someone else's base and it was soooo much better than yours? Most likely, the other person had spent lot more time and/or money on their base than you have so far. Ask yourself, would it make you feel better if you just skip all that time required to get that far by throwing money at it? That is always a viable option, yes, but spending time (a lot of time) can also be used to grow strong. The good side of taking the slow road is that you learn so much more about the game than by just throwing money at it.

Other thing commonly bringing unhappiness is "big boys" walking all over your place. Sorry to say, but that is how the game works. The only thing that is taken into account in matchmaking is trophies, though you propably knew that by now. Going up in trophies to make things more difficult and down in trophies to make it easier is the solution. Either of these won't fix the big boys trampling, but at least makes it more predictable how often it happens.

One thing to definitely affect your happiness about the game is your clan. Finding the right clan for you is one of the biggest things in the gaming experience of CoC. Again, there is no right or wrong here, just find a clan that suits your needs. As this guide is mostly about castle building and such, suffice to say, a clan that donates units is the minium requirement.

2 - Filling your needs

So what am I talking about on the needs of your base. I mean, what do you need your base to accomplish while you are away from the game. Think, what is the most important thing you need your base to do. This will be the key element on the design of your castle and also in a way, the style how you will be playing the game. Two of the most common are:keep your resources protected or keep your trophies protected. What ever the biggest need is, keep that always in mind

For protecting resources, I know a thing or three, but unfortunately for trophies, I have not that much experience. But for protecting resources, there are couple of pointers I can give. First, your Th level will determine how the base can be built. Th7 is the first TH level where you can expect to have adequate protection from attacks. Before that, no matter how well designed and upgraded base you have, bigger THs will walk over you. Repeatedly. On TH7 on the other hand, you have enough walls and defences to limit the damage. First thing to remember is that you cannot protect yet all your resources but you can limit the loss quite a bit. If you just upgraded your TH from 6 to 7, just take your time and upgrade everything to max before you go up.

So, how do I fulfill my need for protection of resources? You start on TH7 your design by placing your Clan Castle in the center of the map. This is the most important feature of any good base. The clan troops will save your bacon many many times in the coming future, trust me. How exactly your base is built, can play a big factor, but as long as you follow few guidelines, the more "cool" looking bases might not fare any better. Have a look at the list below and if your base fills all these, the rest is just tweaking.
    - CC in the middle, packed with archers (wizards and dragons work well, too) for both air&ground support
    - important resources are divided and behind at least two layers of walls and defences in between the two layers.
    - your splash towers (wizard and mortar) are covering as much possible of the base and are not side by side. Spread them and protect them. Keep them at highest possible upgrade level at all times.
    - all the sides are covered with less important buildings so wall breakers can't be dropped right next to your walls. Mines and pumps are counted as such, too.
    - all your defences and resource containers are behind at least one wall. The rest can be outside.
    - your TH is outside the walls but not in a corner. TH has the highest HP so put it on the way to your precious resources to block.
    - no more than two containers, preferrably only one, in single cloister. Making a chessboard isn't the best way but groups of 2-4 buildings per cloister is good.
    - funnels with spring traps. Don't close quite all cloisters but leave a gap on the wall and put a spring trap in it. Works best if a defence is behind the trap as giants will aim for them and trigger the traps nicely.
    - try to avoid clean T junction so wall breakers can't blow two cloisters on one go open. Stagger them by 2 wall length.
    - spread out the air defences so they cover the whole base. Put them either behind 1 wall, if you aren't worried about flying stuff or behind 2 walls and some ground defence in front if you are concerned about flying units
    - upgrade your walls as much as you can, pink crystal is really minium for any proper defence. Good way to upgrade the walls is to spend always all the leftover gold to walls in between defence upgrades.
    - always keep all builders working on something.

Try out how the build works and watch the defence replays repeatedly to spot weak spots and adjust accordingly. Even the smallest change can make a huge difference

For trophies, you basically do the same, but swap your containers with the TH. TH behind at least two, preferrably three layers of walls. A hybrid, where you protect both TH and resources needs at least TH8 and even then, it will not provide the best defence for either trophies or resources. But it is just as viable optin as any, as long as it fills your need

If you have a need to make the place look nice or symmetrical or both, then go for that. As long as you are happy with your design, it doesn't matter what others think.

3 - Upgrading TH, ready or not?

If you have maxed out everything, then yes, you definitely are ready. But even more early you can be good to go.

As offensive power is in some ways more important in CoC than defence, one way to think are you ready or not is to look at your army. If you have maxed out your army camps and all the troops you use for attacking, you can think about upgrading Th for even better units. But this will leave your defence lacking, just keep that in mind.

Most will say, and I don't disagree with the idea, that upgrade only when you have maxed out all your defensive buildings and maybe even walls. I myself did go up when all my units that I used or planned to use were upgraded, even when my defences weren't yet at max.

On TH7 the resource gaining is easiest, take advantage of it .TH8 it's still easy enough and you got better units. Th9 and up it gets trickyer...

But, on what ever Th level you are, as long as you are having fun and enjoying the game, it's all good. Yes, you can always improve things and there are countless good guides that will give you more detailed tips how to make a great base but just keep your mind clear what is the most important need of yours

Phew, that went on and on, huh?

Thanks for reading and Clash on!

Edit: Now you know the idea for your base, read Mufasa's guide how to bring it to life.
    Last edited by OJM; June 6th, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the walls...

Nice guide, really nice guide. You covered alot of things in that.
    Have a bad time using your troops? Then this guide is for you! Guide: How to use troops effectively!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detective View Post
    Nice guide, really nice guide. You covered alot of things in that.
    Thank you I hope this helps at least some, as most cases when asking for direct help for a base, the tips might not answer the questions, what were brewing underneath.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tareyza View Post
    nice guide!!
    Thank you I added link to Mufasa's guide for some more reading on the topic.

Nicely written, well thought out guide OJM
    friendly bump, also as to avoid seeing as many 'how's my base?' threads, et cetera
    To see a World in a grain of sand,
    and a Heaven in a wildflower,
    to hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
    and an Eternity in an hour.

{shoutout to Vilehelm, the hippest pirate out}

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJayne View Post
    Nicely written, well thought out guide OJM
    friendly bump, also as to avoid seeing as many 'how's my base?' threads, et cetera
    Thank you

Great Guide OJM +1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by l1lvink View Post
    Great Guide OJM +1
    Thank you

Thanks this was helpful!
    Clan: Quantum Rangers (Leader)
    Level:55
    Town Hall: 7
    Trophies: 1400-1500

Banned