Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Take no more than 3 items from a shop

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringTulips View Post
    That isn't what raiding is.

Can't be considered a raider anyway since you have said the term means nothing, right?
    Actually, some farmers do consider that raiding. That is the problem with that label - no agreed upon meaning. So you are correct, the term means nothing.

Seriously, putting aside the wheat joke, the issue seems to be one of expectations. We have expectations of others sometimes, and in HD often they have either no way of knowing or didn't agree to doing it our way so aren't bound to do so.

So we are in a situation where our expectations aren't met... what happens next? it seems pointless to get too cross at their behaviour, calling it "selfish" or "unreasonable"... They generally aren't, except in the eye of the beholder. Best to just delete them quietly and quickly and go on without complaining or dwelling on it, if it really is bothering us that much. A little harder if it is a neighbour rather than follower or gc/fb friend, as we must consider the others in NH, how it is for them from their perspective, if they are bothered by whatever it is too.

Of course this is putting aside the case of the actual stalker, who are thankfully very few.

I did see a farm in the DD with a name oddly between touching and passive-aggressive, called roughly (to avoid name and shame) "don't forget to help me"... As if the only reason anybody might buy from the stall and not help the boat was simple inattention.
    Last edited by Tomville; March 31st, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
    Chapter One #22V00CGY Level 16 International clan
    We welcome strong TH11 and TH12 adult players with big heros for relaxed fun warring, maxing bases and some pushing. Must know where the donate button is!

Quote Originally Posted by haydayforum View Post
    Actually, some farmers do consider that raiding. That is the problem with that label - no agreed upon meaning. So you are correct, the term means nothing.
    For pete's sake.

You ignore my point about language being fluid, and words having different meanings in different contexts.

If you have a "problem with that label" I think it's your problem. You have that right. Enjoy yourself.

Yes, this rule can lead to some humorous scenarios. I had a follower for the longest time whose farm name was something like "Buy three boxes only" but they never ever had anything in their stall no matter when I checked. Another follower was with me from the start for months and months, they shopped moderately and occassionally, nothing to report. But one day they started changing their farm name several times an hour and repeatedly buying everything in my stall from planks to wheat. I subscribe to the "no such thing as raiding" school of thought so I didn't mind about the shopping sprees. But the sudden and bizzare change in their behaviour made me uncomfortable, especially the extremely frequent namechanging. It was the only time I deleted someone.

What I do with neighbors , followors and friends is mimic their shopping behavior. They only buy one or two items? I do the same when visting their shop. They shop till they drop leaving my stall all grey? I also buy them out when I visit.
    Random people in the paper - I have no way of knowing what they expect and what they consider appropriate/polite and what is offensive to them. So I buy what I need and help when I can .
    Last edited by glinda; March 31st, 2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: clarifying so doesn't appear to name farmer...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringTulips View Post
    For pete's sake.

You ignore my point about language being fluid, and words having different meanings in different contexts.

If you have a "problem with that label" I think it's your problem. You have that right. Enjoy yourself.
    Huh? Not sure what you are referring to.

I do not remember seeing your post referred to above. I did not intentionally ignore it.

This thread is about some people becoming upset that farmers purchase more than 3 stalls in their shop. That is what i was discussing. Actually, i was joking with another poster about it. The other poster wanted people to buy his shop out. you replied to a reply i made to that poster. i was actually agreeing with your point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glinda View Post
    Yes, this rule can lead to some humorous scenarios. I had a follower for the longest time whose farm name was something like "Buy three boxes only" but they never ever had anything in their stall no matter when I checked. Another follower was with me from the start for months and months, they shopped moderately and occassionally, nothing to report. But one day they started changing their farm name several times an hour and repeatedly buying everything in my stall from planks to wheat. I subscribe to the "no such thing as raiding" school of thought so I didn't mind about the shopping sprees. But the sudden and bizzare change in their behaviour made me uncomfortable, especially the extremely frequent namechanging. It was the only time I deleted someone.

What I do with neighbors , followors and friends is mimic their shopping behavior. They only buy one or two items? I do the same when visting their shop. They shop till they drop leaving my stall all grey? I also buy them out when I visit.
    Random people in the paper - I have no way of knowing what they expect and what they consider appropriate/polite and what is offensive to them. So I buy what I need and help when I can .
    That is strange behaviour. Deleting is always the best option whenever anyone makes you feel uncomfortable.
    I guess the bottom line is that we have no way of knowing. Your last paragraph says it all.

I have no way of knowing what they expect and what they consider appropriate/polite and what is offensive to them. So I buy what I need and help when I can .
    I agree with this. You really have no way of knowing. I confess though, even if someone changed their farm name to only buy 3 things, if I saw a load of goodies in their shop, I would buy as many as I wanted lol. If SC wanted to restrict us in what we buy, they would have done it, therefore any shop is fair go, in my mind lol.

Now, if I had joined a NH that said you could only buy 3 items at a time from a neighbours shop, I would leave it as soon as I found out the rule, however if I did stay in the NH, I would honour that rule, or try lol.
    NH: Frisky Furries
    Frisky Bits Stole all my Cheese :P

Quote Originally Posted by haydayforum View Post
    Huh? Not sure what you are referring to.

I do not remember seeing your post referred to above. I did not intentionally ignore it.

This thread is about some people becoming upset that farmers purchase more than 3 stalls in their shop. That is what i was discussing. Actually, i was joking with another poster about it. The other poster wanted people to buy his shop out. you replied to a reply i made to that poster. i was actually agreeing with your point.
    I wasn't saying that, though; I was saying that YOU had said it. And you are not/have not been only talking about this with me in one topic but in a few. So I am referring to the entire conversation. I find it odd you could reply to me several times on the same issue and have no memory of it but, okay, if you say so?

Not sure what I am referring to - in which way?

You have repeatedly told me that the word 'raiding' is meaningless if it has more than one meaning. That isn't the case. Dictionaries are full of words which have more than one meaning. The trick is for a group in this game to agree on its 'meaning' or in other words, their rules. If they want to make a rule about 'no more than 3 items' why would anyone else care, really? There are so many players in this game.

I agree with this, and have said the same. Until the game lets us communicate with people outside our group, we have no way to know what that person's 'rules' are for shoppers (if any.)

So we have the option as farmers to delete those whose style does not fit ours, and as shoppers, to try to be courteous, if we can. And yes, of course, people will have different definitions of the word 'courteous' as well (which doesn't make it a meaningless word or concept. )

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryButt View Post
    I agree with this. You really have no way of knowing. I confess though, even if someone changed their farm name to only buy 3 things, if I saw a load of goodies in their shop, I would buy as many as I wanted lol. If SC wanted to restrict us in what we buy, they would have done it, therefore any shop is fair go, in my mind lol.

Now, if I had joined a NH that said you could only buy 3 items at a time from a neighbours shop, I would leave it as soon as I found out the rule, however if I did stay in the NH, I would honour that rule, or try lol.
    I do not even notice the farm names when i am shopping. I look at the item and buy it if i want It. I will have to start paying attention. many people who farm speak different languages so calling yourself "buy 3 items" or "acheter trois" is guarentee to cause you to get upset when farmers who do not speak your language, do not read farm names, or do not obey random indtructions do not obey your unenforceable rules.
    I honestly do not know why people choose to get themselves so wound up about a game. The only actions you can control are your own. Trying to control others, in a game or in real life, is guarenteed to cause grief. It is super simple to prevent someone from buying more than 3 items at one time. Do not put more than 3 items for sale at one time.
    I agree with your point about neighbourhood. if there is a clear rule such as " do not buy more than 3 items" then by staying you are agreeing. The problem with it is that rules do not stay in the chat and with time zones and playing styles, it is easy for hoodies to miss rules unless there is a very attentive leader who does not sleep. problems also arise when hoods use meaningless rules like "no raiding", which means something different to everyone. There was a drama queen who accused someone in my prior hood of raiding. He bought 3 items from a RSS that most of the items were sold in. Farmer was apparently restocking one item at a time -as opposed to clearing sold items and then restocking. To her raiding meant to buy before she announced sale in chat! Who knew? Buyer offered to give back, but some people are only happy when they are a victim. Too much drama for me. I left. I had no interest in being in a hood where some people are looking for a way to feel insulted. I refuse to feed the drama queens in hood or in forum.
    Present hood has no rules other then checking in chat to make sure not for someone. We never have drama. The odd time someone buys item meant for someone else they have always offer to sell back. Usually they are told to keep item as someone else also has some to sell to make up.