Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft - The Derby Guide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Draft - The Derby Guide

DERBY INTRODUCTION
    Welcome to the Derby Guide.
    This guide will hopefully explain more about the Derby and clear up any issues you have with how to play this new game. It will be a mix of tips, instructions, Q&A, plus will also have many images.

What is the Derby?
    The derby is a horse racing game for neighbourhoods to compete against other neighbourhoods. The idea of the game is to complete a set of tasks within your neighbourhood so that you can reach key flag posts and claim rewards and if in the top three to gain even more prizes.

Each derby is seven days long and a new race will start at the same time for all neighbourhoods around the world. You can participate in the derby from level 29 and must be in a neighbourhood to do so.

DERBY MACHINE
    The neighbourhood will unlock at level 29. Prior to this, you will see a broken down building in need of repair and a large crate next to a saddle. Inside this crate is your machine. Once you repair and open, your neighbourhood building you will get the new the derby machine. To access the machine you need to be connected so a neighbourhood must be started or joined.

Once your building is repaired, you have joined or created a neighbourhood, the derby game can be played. The new machine will look like the image below. To access the game just tap on the machine and you will be taken to the main screen

To the left of the derby board you will see four tabs. The first tab is for the tasks. The second tab shows you your position on the race leader board vs. the other neighbourhoods. The third tab will show you any horseshoes you have gained in the game and the choice of prizes you can get for each shoe gained. The last tab is the question tab, and this will give you more instructions about the derby and some useful tutorials to watch.

The top of the board has a stopwatch and a time counting down next to it. This time represents how much time you have left in the game to complete your neighbourhood tasks. When it gets to zero this race is over and the rewards you have earned can be claimed.

The next icon will be your neighbourhood badge and the number next to it is the total score your neighbourhood has achieved in the race so far.

Tasks Tab
    The task tab will show all the current tasks available to your neighbourhood. You do not have to do these and have the option to rip them off so that better tasks may come up. The elders, co-leaders and leader are the only ones who can bin tasks from the main task board.

Notice how the tasks are a light blue colour. These ones have not been selected yet. You can tap on a task and it will appear in the contract box on the right. This will allow you to see what is required for that task. Tap the tasks until you find the one you would like to do then tap the contract icon.

Scrolling down on this screen will show you what your neighbours have chosen to do and again if you tap their task you can see what choice they made.

This image shows the three task colours clearly. Light Blue - free task, Dark Blue - contracted, Green - neighbours contracted

Leader Board

The leader board is the place to check your position in relation to the other neighbourhoods. You can also tap on these horses and see who is in those neighbourhoods. You cannot interact or chat with them at all.

The Rewards Tab
    This tab is where you go to check your rewards gained for each of the horseshoes you obtained when passing a flag post. Until the derby is over you canít get them. However, it will allow you to plan which ones you prefer.

The Question Tab
    The question tab will bring up an image with five circles; these images/circles can be scrolled through to get more information about the game. You can also find two tutorials and a more information button. As seen in the images below the scrolling option will allow you to read information similar to this guide.

The first tutorial will show you how to do tasks. The second tutorial is about claiming rewards and shuffling them. The more info button will bring up the derby rules.

These images are the five pieces of information you will see if you scroll through the circles.

TASKS
    Kind of tasks
    There seven different types of tasks available in the derby. Each task will require a specific action as seen in the table below. Tasks are no different from the normal farm actions you do in the game.

Do I have to do all these tasks?
    No. You have up to five free tasks in the derby and do not need to do all of them. However, the more you do the more points your neighbourhood will get.

Can I choose which task I want to do?
    Yes. You have the choice in your neighbourhoods to pick any task that you feel able to complete.

How many tasks do I get in the game?

Each member in your neighbourhood will be given five free tasks to do. You have the option of a sixth one however, that will cost you 10 diamonds if you choose this option. You cannot get more than the six tasks in one derby.

Can I give my tasks to another neighbour member?
    No. Each person can only do their own tasks, however there is nothing stopping you from helping each other on some of them.

Can I do more than one task at a time?
    No. You will not be able to start a new task until the old one is finished or binned.

What do I get for doing tasks?
    You will get points for each task you do which will move your horse along the racetrack. You will also get any XP or coins associated with it.

Can I get help with my derby tasks?
    Yes and No. It will depend on the task in question. You must complete most tasks yourself however; there are a few that will allow help. Tasks are just like normal activities in the game. If you can get help with them then itís the same for the derby.

Harvesting - You cannot get any help from neighbours or others. Buying the product will not count towards any totals.

Animal Products - You cannot get any help from neighbours or others. Buying the product will not count towards any totals.

Fishing - You cannot get any help from neighbours or others. Buying the product will not count towards any totals. You can only use lures to catch fish for this task. Nets will not count.

Mine - You can get mine tools from neighbours and from the newspaper but only you can mine ores. You cannot get any help from neighbours or others. Buying the product will not count towards any totals.

Truck - You can get help on this task. Your neighbours and friends can sell you items or you can buy them through the newspaper.

Boat - You can get help on this task. Your neighbours and friends can sell you items, fill crates or you can buy them through the newspaper.

Town Visitors - You can get help on this task. Your neighbours and friends can sell you items or you can buy them through the newspaper.

Unwanted tasks (Pinned).
    There are two kinds of unwanted tasks. The first will not lose you any turns from the five you have whereas the second will.

The task board is very much like the truck board in that the task are only pinned requests and can be pulled off if unwanted or too challenging for your neighbourhood.

The only members of your neighbourhood who can remove tasks from the pins and discard them are the neighbourhood elders, co-leader, and leader. Members cannot remove tasks from the board.

Removing tasks, this way will not result in the loss of any of your five turns. It will just ask you if you wish to bin the task or not as seen in the image below. Just click trash and the task will be removed.

After a task is ripped off and binned there will be no new task added for another 30 minutes. Just like with the truck request board you will see a stopwatch image on the board like this one below.

Tip
    You may find it more beneficial making everyone an elder or at least having elders from different time zones, so tasks can be removed easily.

Unwanted tasks (Contracted).
    There are two kinds of unwanted tasks. The first will not lose you any turns from the five you have whereas the second will.

When players choose tasks, you sign a contract. This then moves the task from the board and allocates it to your count. This image shows an example of one task I chose. As you can see, it tells me how much time I have left to complete it on the left side and what is required on the right. Notice the colour difference in the blueness. Itís now much darker than an un-chosen task.

If after signing this contract I then think that, I cannot do this task in the time I have left or that I chosen this by mistake. I then tap the bin located to the bottom of my contract. The pop up message as seen in the image below ďConfirm Task TrashingĒ will ask you if you are sure and will warn you that binning this task will deduct one task from your quota of five.

You have the choice to cancel and do the task or say yes and then do another. This option of removing the task can be done by each member of the neighbourhood but will only remove one task from their own quota not the groups.

i.e. I have 5 tasks. I bin 1. I now have 4 of 5 left to do.

Expired Tasks
    This image shows that I was not able to complete the task in time and that it has expired. This will happen if you chose tasks and do not come back to the game in time or run out of time. You then have no choice but to bin it before you start a new task. When you bin this task, you will be prompted with the ďConfirm Task TrashingĒ pop up. By binning this task, you will lose one task from your count.

Town Visitor Tasks (level 34+)

These will vary from person to person. You need to take into consideration the reputation level of your town and to what extent the town is upgraded. The task will last until the derby ends.

The town visitor task will ask you to fully serve a number of visitors. This means that if your visitor wants to visit three buildings then you must wait until this is done before you can claim one point towards your total.

You may find it handy to max out your personal train, as this will allow you pick up passengers from your neighbours. These passengers only require visiting the one building so can be turned around quickly.

The service time for buildings can be maxed out at 40% so thinking ahead and upgrading this part would help on derby tasks.

You do not have to do this task by yourself as your neighbours can supply you with items to help you fill requests that the visitors may ask for.

Tip
    If a neighbour has over 10 passengers to be picked up then avoid collecting passengers that require the B&B in their request as the time to service this passenger is much higher than most of the other buildings.

Truck Tasks (level 4+)

One of the easiest and fastest tasks to do and can be done with the support of your neighbours. The truck task can be done by filling orders off the request board to the left of the farmhouse.

These tasks will usually have a time limit so donít start one if you have limited time or cannot finish it within the time limit.

Each truck completed will count towards the deliveries required. Should you have a truck task during a truck event you will get the event rewards as well.

Tip
    Make a list of what you need before you start the first part so you can get others to find items for you. Do give quantities donít just say I need corn.

Boat Tasks (level 17+)

Boat tasks require you to fill all crates on each boat for them to count towards your total. The waiting time between boats will be four hours so the higher the boat target the longer the task will take.

The waiting time for boats at your dock will not change from that in the game. You can still request the 3 regular crate helps and the extra neighbourhood one.

These tasks run until the end of the event and any boat task can be completed with the help of neighbours. Boat events will give the rewards in that event during your task.

These are the more challenging tasks as you may have to cast off many boats to find the good ones.

Tip

Itís best to start these tasks near the start of the derby, as they tend to run for the longest time.

Mine Tasks (level 24+)

The mine is an easy task however; your neighbourhood will soon run out of mining tools. The pickaxe mines five ores, the shovel mines four, the TNT barrel mines three, and the stick of dynamite mines two.

This task will run until the end of the derby. Your neighbours canít help you with this other than giving you tools for the mine.

Tip
    Give this task to the lower level players as they have the chance to get diamonds from the mine. Once they have collected the ores they sell them to the higher-level players for full coinage.

Fishing Tasks (level 27+)

The fishing task is another task that is easy to do however, the more fishing spots you have open the faster you can complete the task. The best lures to use will be the worm or green lures and any circle size is fine.

Each fish will add a weight towards the total catch as it accumulates. If the first fish is 1.4 lbs then the total will say 1lb as it is rounded up or down. The next fish will add to that total and will adjust the weight so that the total catch balances.

i.e.
    1st fish - 1.4lbs will show 1lb in weight.
    2nd fish - 1.4lbs will show 3lbs in weight.

The cool off times for each spot are the same as normal. Neighbourhoods can help each other by supplying LEMs; Maps, Stakes, & Mallets, to each other so spots can be opened and then fished from.

You cannot sell fillets to the person and have that count towards the total. The person doing the task must catch each fish.

This task will run until the end of the derby. Players with fewer spots open should start the task early. Those with 6 and above spots open will find this one quick to do.

TBC - Event fish caught will count towards the weight of fishing tasks

Animal Product Tasks (levels vary)

The animal products will come from the livestock on the farm. These tasks can include eggs, wool, goatís milk, cowís milk and bacon. Eggs are the best and fastest ones to turn around. The others will require a much longer turnaround time.

The completion time will depend on the livestock task amount. For example if you have a wool order for 50 it will run to the end of the derby but if itís for 13 then you will have a limited time to complete it.

Other members of your neighbourhood cannot support these tasks and buying the items in the newspaper or from other locations will not add that purchase to the total.

Harvesting Tasks, (levels vary)

Harvesting tasks will vary in difficulty dependant on your level and how many plots of land you have. Each plot of land will give you two items but only the land value will count towards the total required for the task.

The higher the level the faster these can be done. Should you choose to plant all land plots you may not be able to use your land for up to 8 hours in some cases. Your neighbourhood needs to support you with crops that you canít plant during this time.

Crops will vary but to date I have seen indigo, wheat, soybeans, potatoes, pumpkins, peppers, tomatoes, rice, and strawberries.

This table shows you how many plots of land you have based on your level. You can also see how many plots you have actually purchased by looking in the game shop. This amount may be less than this guide, as you may not have purchased all plots of land.

To work out how long and how many harvests you need just divide the task target by the number of plots you have and round up the answer to the nearest whole number and then multiply it by the time it takes for that crop to grow from the seed to finished item.

i.e.
    Iím level 85 so have 114 plots of land.
    My indigo task requires 230 plots.
    Therefore, I will have to do 3 harvests (230 / 114 = 2.01 = 3)
    Indigo takes 2hrs so this task will take 6 hours to complete.

If I were a level 43, I would have 69 plots.
    Strawberries requires 230 plots
    I will have to do 4 harvests (230 / 69 = 3.33 = 4)
    Strawberries takes 8hrs so this task will take 32 hours to complete.

As you can see, the time will vary so choose your task wisely and get you neighbourhood to support you with other crops when your land is tied up.

Pay attention to the time remaining on these tasks. If it shows the time displayed in red then the hours left in game are fewer. You may not have enough time to finish so choose wisely.

This chart will tell you the number of harvests you need for your level based on the quantity you need to collect. The second one will give you the time it will take based on known crops requested.

Note the times donít take into consideration the time between harvests for sleeping periods or other activities. They are based on just growing times.

Last edited by Ranger; March 24th, 2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Images to add. (DRAFT)

Banned

Exclamation

Hi. Under Harvesting Tasks you say, "Each plot of land will give you two items but only the land value will count towards the total required for the task."

I did not know this! I only have six plots for potatoes. So even though my silo gets 12 potatoes, I get only 6 pts. for my derby task.

This is very important!

Thanks, Ranger.

As close to hell as geographically as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakiddy View Post
    Hi. Under Harvesting Tasks you say, "Each plot of land will give you two items but only the land value will count towards the total required for the task."

I did not know this! I only have six plots for potatoes. So even though my silo gets 12 potatoes, I get only 6 pts. for my derby task.

This is very important!

Thanks, Ranger.
    Snakdaddy, each plot of land gives you 1 item and returns the item you invested to grow the new veggie. They aren't really tricking anyone. It's a rather common misconception. I hope you don't feel like you were being ♥♥♥♥♥ed.
    Trading on both GC and Facebook

Level: 100 |
    GC & KIK: WillieBDare | Neighborhood: Power Traders

(For quick trades, use KIK, as I don't check my PMs regularly)

My doubt s tat I hav completed all my tasks n my hood has gone past the last flag n re frst. Nw i hav left the hood n the derby s still going on, do i get the rewards after the derby ends??

Quote Originally Posted by prasanna View Post
    My doubt s tat I hav completed all my tasks n my hood has gone past the last flag n re frst. Nw i hav left the hood n the derby s still going on, do i get the rewards after the derby ends??
    NO. Since you left you will get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    NO. Since you left you will get nothing.
    This s nt fair really i did all my 5 tasks all with 289+ points but jus for leaving am nt getting any rewards?? Sc should work on it definitely😞

Quote Originally Posted by snakiddy View Post

This is very important!

Thanks, Ranger.
    As the task name suggest u hav to harvest the no.the task asked nt hw many u get after u cut em

Trainee
    Grate work so far!
    Maybe it would be nice to add in min/max efficiency for high and low levels?

About the extra rewards

First, thank you, Ranger, for the great work! I also have a question regarding what's on the Derby help tab (the one with a question mark). On page 4, it says: "After reaching the first checkpoint, the top 3 neighborhoods get extra rewards". I'm not sure what that means, and what kind of rewards are they talking about here? Could you please add an explanation for this somewhere in the guide? Thanks again.

Thank you Ranger! This is a very much needed guide. I was hoping someone would come in and make one. Everything is scattered about right now.

I didn't see it on there but don't forget to mention deleting tasks and how that works. I'm sure you won't forget, but just in case.
    Last edited by ilovehayday; March 21st, 2015 at 07:16 PM.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to ClashOfHolmes for my cool banner