Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Strategy]BB's - An Anti-Laloon concept

[Strategy]BB's - An Anti-Laloon concept

BB's - An Anti-Laloon concept by reddit troopers

For the purpose of simplicity, I will be splitting this post into several sections:

1. Necessity
    2. Design process
    3. Implementation
    4. Effectiveness
    5. Passing remarks (Inc. extra anti LaLoon tactics)

Please note that this is by no means an all inclusive or 100% effective strategy.

Etymology: BB -> building buffers. BB is the use of building HP as a high level tool when designing a base. This means a focus on utilising HP in an organised fashion as a defensive feature.

Please first watch -> BBv2 - Defence - EWCA vs Troopers

1. Necessity

With the rise of LaLoon as an attack strategy for th9 and little that can be done to prevent it, a new strategy was needed. We slowly learned more and more about weaknesses of the attack - difficult AQ kill, difficult AD kill, time. The war base focus was still on the townhall. It was suggested that the townhall was not an important building as it was traditionally thought, but rather important simply because of its incredibly high HP. Buildings similar in HP level are storages, and air defences. By utilising these buildings properly, we can get three different uses out of them; a CB is hard because of the high HP levels, a shattered for 2 AD is hard because of the high HP, and preventing loons from pathing towards AD without sacrificing structural integrity.

2. Design process

Initially the design was more rough, the first base iteration was this base used in the Clashheads vs reddit troopers hunt (BB1). The base took 4 attempts - 1 laloon, 2 th9 hogs, 1 th10 hog to 3 star and was one of the first troopers bases to successfully defend a properly executed laloon attack. 2 more experimental base designs were trialled in lower wars to test effectiveness. The most recent iteration is this base used in the most recent EWCA vs troopers hunt (BB2) which successfully defended a LaLoon before being rekt by a cleanup hog attack.

3. Implementation

A successful BB has 4 key design features.

- queen inside a wall of high HP buildings (include AD)
    - tempting LaLoon shatter at opposite said
    - double SAM within non shatter AD
    - defence pathing away from AD

Note on BB2 how there are no defences that will directly path to the AD, they have buffers the entire way around them. Even at the sides nothing paths directly towards the AD. Wizard towers are close, but not close enough to focus on hounds instead of loons. On BB 2 note how there is a metaphorical hair of defences on the base. On the top down to the sides there are defences, on the bottom there is a goatee of defences but in between the sideburns and goatee there is nothing - that's where the AD is.

High damage buildings such as teslas can be placed inside the BB to assist in hound kill if so desired.

The queen and high HP buildings should be placed as shown in BB1 and BB2 - to take as much time as possible before queen is killed. This is achieved by putting the queens aggro radius inside that of the high HP buildings. This means the enemy KS will be caught on buildings for at least a few seconds before even getting into AQ range, should they decide to CB or shatter from the BB side. Surrounding each AD is a mass of high HP buildings which will cause an enemy KS to have to punch through a lot of HP before getting 2 AD.

A shatter from the non BB side may be suggested as it is in BB2 - while still time consuming it is relatively easy as the AD are close.

Traps - SAM should be doubled on the BB side as in BB2 so as to quickly dispose of lava hounds en masse as the ballons path away from the AD, so as to allow the AD to get back to loons quickly. RAM should be doubled or grouped near wizard towers that will not be triggered by a hound, this may take some experimentation as you want them to smash up enemy loons. Regular bombs should be placed 1 tile away from walls on the shatter side to try to distract enemy WB. DGB should be distributed throughout the numerous DGB spots there should be (including one in the core).

4. Effectiveness

This is a 6/6 successful anti-LaLoon strategy (4 normal clans, 2 elite clans) when implemented properly and attacked as it was designed to be. This is NOT sufficient evidence to show that it is always/ever going to be effective, however due to troopers being hunted my base was exposed anyways, premature unveiling. This video on Rikka's youtube shows BB2 in action, there are no videos of BB1 defending a LaLoon.

5. Passing remarks

This is not a perfect strategy but it is ONE of numerous strategies and may serve to help others out there in their defence of LaLoon attacks. This strategy was designed by Rikka of Reddit Troopers with help from Reddit Lithium members for Reddit Troopers & Reddit Lithium. If it doesn't work don't complain, this will probably be a useless strategy within a week cause someone will have cracked it.

Anti LaLoon measures aside from BB:

- Lots of DGB spots (5+ best): a base is no good against LaLoon if it can just be hogged
    - No 2 AD in the same compartment
    - No WT next to your AD. The wiz will attack the hound rendering them useless.
    - At least 1 defence between AD and the outside that hogs will path to, in order to prevent a strike force.
    - Keep bases non perfect in defence patterns. Perfect/symmetrical = easy for loons to rage straight through. This means rings, or lattice structured defences is bad, keep loons from pathing easily.

Hopefully this comes in handy for someone. I am always looking for criticism so don't be afraid to offer some.

~Rikka
    Last edited by meonhoc; March 20th, 2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: censored words
    Reddit Troopers

Sounds exactly like the base im working on lol, well said.
    good job defending against a clashheads attacker, they are known to 3 star every th9 so having moskri fail on you means your base must be tricky... And it is haha
    Not sure I understand what "tempting shatter from the other said" means..
    Last edited by Tomaster1275; March 20th, 2015 at 11:29 AM.

Tomaster | TH9.5- 101/250 lavas | heroes 24/21
    Project Eclipse-Th9 war bases: http://tinyurl.com/k6v6zfm *outdated*
    Project Solar Wind-Th9 Anti Laloon war bases: http://tinyurl.com/nzvy5jl *outdated*
    She Wants the AD- my latest th9/9.5 war base: http://tinyurl.com/l3xggj3

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaster1275 View Post
    good job defending against a clashheads attacker, they are known to 3 star every th9 so having moskri fail on you means your base must be tricky... And it is haha

Hehe I'm guessing the base you are working on follows my Metaki #5 Arrowtip's concept . I think my new Gen. base follows this guidelines perfectly. I'm up to show it to individuals with interest before I actually make it go public .
    Last edited by akiyume; March 20th, 2015 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akiyume View Post
    Hehe I'm guessing the base you are working on follows my Metaki #5 Arrowtip's concept . I think my new Gen. base follows this guidelines perfectly. I'm up to show it to individuals with interest before I actually make it go public .
    Not exactly, I'll pm you.

Tomaster | TH9.5- 101/250 lavas | heroes 24/21
    Project Eclipse-Th9 war bases: http://tinyurl.com/k6v6zfm *outdated*
    Project Solar Wind-Th9 Anti Laloon war bases: http://tinyurl.com/nzvy5jl *outdated*
    She Wants the AD- my latest th9/9.5 war base: http://tinyurl.com/l3xggj3

Nice read I might try this and see how I go
    Eddie-56 | Level 105 | TH9 | Proud Co Leader of FridgeRaiders | Want to join? Click my sig pic! Check out our website!
    The Eye of Sauron (TH9) | Isengard (TH9) | Making a Base Design Thread? Read this first!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaster1275 View Post

By by tempting shatter, I mean exactly what happened in my video. The attacker shatters from the north and risks either not getting the queen, or having an extremely long queen kill time.
    Reddit Troopers

Tempting to use this in a war where it appears they will lavaloon, been using the general still still serves a good base and only been 3 starred twice. However I am not in a th10/9 war clan.
    Last edited by ChosenW; March 20th, 2015 at 10:23 PM.

Sorry to be naive, but what exactly does cold blooded(CB) or shattered mean?

What's the difference?

Thanks for this informative guide.

Saw your post on reddit.
    Hiring people to make a new sig for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpcbsar View Post
    Sorry to be naive, but what exactly does cold blooded(CB) or shattered mean?

What's the difference?

Thanks for this informative guide.
    CB (Cold-Blooded) = Designates a specific archer queen kill strategy consisting of a golemn and the king to jump or wallbreaker in to the enemy AQ. Two wizards should be used to create a mini funnel for your BK to ensure he follows the golemn in to the enemy queen. Your CB can be supported by your kill squad by utilizing funneling to cause them to path to the location the CB enters the enemy base.

Shattered = Designates the use of a pair of golemns

- reddit omicron
    Hiring people to make a new sig for me!!