Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compartments Vs Vault

Banned

Compartments Vs Vault

I guess majority of forum members here think, that dividing your containers to limit the damage is the way to make the best base. It may be on higher range of trophies, but perhaps there is another way...

I have read and studied carefully Ping's and Jun's base designs, the two possibly most highly rated farming bases along with hundreds of other designs. But I find that they all share the common feature: divided assets. The feature is both their weakness but of course also their strength: the ability to LIMIT the damage and resources lost. What this does is twofolded. For one, it limits the amount of resources lost and also keeps away some attackers, namely farmers. But what also happens, is that the 98% of players not reading the forums and going for 100% gold stolen, they have it relatively easy to take a portion of the resources even with poorly executed attacks and not necessarily even give a shield. So you might lose only 1/3 of your resources per attack, but what if the attacks just keep coming and repeating the same small loss?

So I figured, there has to be a better way to store my precious loot. Looking around, all the builds I had seen so far that had the resources in one big compartment... Pretty much sucked. They were easy to loot and the most common design was 3 layers of walls stuck together, wrapped around the containers and couple of defences. We've all seen those and stolen all the loot from them but the idea was sound, to protect the resources with all you got and keep away those 30% losses. By that time, the wb changes had just been implemented, so such builds were more or less pointless.

(continues on next post so the #%!$> browser doesn't AGAIN eat my post)
    Last edited by OJM; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Yup, thats the way it is with segmented core vs single core bases.

Segmented core
    -Hard to get all storage
    -Easy to lose one storage

Single core
    -Hard to get even 1 storage
    -Easy to get all storages

I agree that having a single core base in general is decent, as majority of the attackers in our farming range are weak-decent attacks, meaning they cant even enter your core, much less taking a single gold/de storage at all.

But it doesn't shine at all, when face with stronger attackers.
    Bear that in mind, now let me touch on segmented core base now.

Segmented core base wise, indeed, in theory, it would be much easier to lose 1 storage against majority of the attackers.

But~
    What if, you improve on the weakness of the con of a segmented core base ?
    Meaning, increase the difficulty in even losing 1 storage.

And if you ask me,
    "Increase difficulty of losing 1 storage of segmented core base"
    VS
    "Increase difficulty of losing all storage of single core base"

Increase difficulty of losing 1 storage of segmented core base is much easier.

Not to mention, when taking about base design ranking, mano-a-mano revenges, segmented core bases shine.
    Its not per se "bragging rights", but simply just some bonus points haha

Anyway, ping base is not entirely segmented, considering the storage are pretty close in its farming configuration.

My 2 cents.

Maybe I should try a single core base someday before I hit th9

To end my post, here is a little 2 in 1 defensive vid for you to enjoy

Banned
    The first design to tackle this problem was the "Moat build", which I find in many places, one form or the other.

The idea is simple: to keep the archers away & provide multiple layers of walls between attacker and your precious resources. I coupled the core with full round of defences all around the core and then another layer of wall to protect them. I also prefer to use springtraps in this "run around" as that is where giants like to stay because there is one defence after another. The core could be easily changed to fit the needs of the player, but the same idea: CC in the middle, couple defences and cople containers" remain the same. On TH8, there are enough walls to wrap this all nicely around with the third layer, where you put your elixir and all the remaining defences.

Yes, it looks devilishly simple but you would not believe how often people fail miserably, trying to go through three layers of walls like that. And because it is soooo sinple, people usually start by dropping your TH, which is located somewhere along the fence to able to take it down with few archers (or covered by a mortar to ensue hilarious replays).

But, this design can't hold off a smart and more powerfull attack.

(to be continued...)

Banned
    So, I ugraded to TH9, perhaps tad too soon, but my lab was out of units I use so th9 time was calling...

The first week, before xbows were up, my new and improved "Moat with alligators" was attacked repeatedly but breached ONCE the whole time. One loot later I had cut my losses and was back on upgrading everything.

The biggest difference on the original moat, was that the new wb AI was taken into account, along with the splash they do. Also the defences were more protected while still keeping the merry-go-round for attackers to get lost in the way. A smart attacker with spells has a chance to pierce all the way in, yes, but such attack haven't yet happened in 2 months. The biggest loss of gold so far is 77k, done with 3 lightning spells to the containers. One attacker has managed to have 3 or so archers survive long enough to shoot over the wall for 70k gold, but that's it. The inner core wall has yet to be touched...

I know well the limits of my build nor am I saying it's the best build by far. My point is that instead of losing 1/3, it is possible to keep 99% of the attacks getting none

Current build, standing alone again for over 8 hrs without being attacked today. Lab & TH are swapping places when I want to be at peace
    Last edited by OJM; May 22nd, 2013 at 05:43 PM.

Banned
    It should be obvious by looking at the build, that I'm protecting only gold and not lix or dlix. Still get spelllooted on daily basis once it hits 20k stored... and that I'm not nowhere near max out th9

The same principle applies to investing. One of the core ideas when investing, whether it's the stock market or just a 401k, is to diversify your wealth so when one area gets hit, the others can be doing alright or even growing. Investing everything you have into one business contains a huge amount of risk; the same as putting all of your resources in one compartment. When symmetry and aesthetics don't get in my way, I even go so far as to keep my elixer collectors and gold mines diversified so that an attacker cannot take whatever it is they're looking for so easily.
    Lvl 125+ @ TH10
    Highest Trophy: 3252

Banned
    Investing is tad different than storing the loot. You can only lose money from storage, never gain from an attack... yet at least.

Let me give you an example:
    Base 1, th9 so 4 containers. Has 8 million stored. Gold divided in 4 compartments.
    Base 2, th9 & also 8 mill gold. Gold in one well protected core.

Both get attacked the "normal" amount, trophy range 1400ish. After 100 attacks, both might have gotten once 100% while others 10-50% damage to base.
    Base 1 has lost over that time 75*50k gold + 1*200k +100*1000 (th)
    Base 2 has lost 1*200k + 100*1000

I'm not a math wizz but I like my odds
    Last edited by OJM; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Fixing typos

Quote Originally Posted by OJM View Post
    Investing is tad different than storing the loot. Let me give you an example:
    Base 1, th9 so 4 containers. Has 8 million stored. Gold divided in 4 compartments.

Both get attacked the "normal" amount, trophy range 1400ish. After 100 attacks, both might have gotten once 100% while others 10-50% damage to base.

Haha.. if you are going to have such bias mindset, whats the point of creating a thread when you are so dead set on your decision ?

1*200k only for Base 2 ? thats quite optimistic, my friend...

As said in the 2nd post of this thread, its possible to increase difficulty of getting even 1 storage for segmented storage.

But for single core storage, its much harder to increase difficulty of getting all storage, once they are inside your core.

Again, my 2 cents. If you like it, carry on

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Junliang View Post
    Haha.. if you are going to have such bias mindset, whats the point of creating a thread when you are so dead set on your decision ?

1*200k only for Base 2 ? thats quite optimistic, my friend...

As said in the 2nd post of this thread, its possible to increase difficulty of getting even 1 storage for segmented storage.

But for single core storage, its much harder to increase difficulty of getting all storage, once they are inside your core.

Again, my 2 cents. If you like it, carry on
    Bias mindset? Hardly. As I said earlier, I am well aware of the limitations of my build. If I would go higher up in trophies, I would change my base to compartments, but down here, stealing the candy from the first graders, the single core works for me much better. And my build isn't the typical all eggs in one basket, only the gold is in the core while my elixir is spread around and dlix is in it's own cloister. For lightning-rain, the dlix separately is working wonders the wizard towers in the core are freshly updated, 9d overlapped update, yet it held just fine

But are you saying, that you can put fully divided containers behind enough walls on all sides and protected by enough defences that you cannot get to even one container with a looting army? Sure, with maxed out th9 you can do a lot of thing but you gotta be able to hold on to the gold till then

He who has not yet claimed his title dahimi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OJM View Post
    Investing is tad different than storing the loot. You can only lose money from storage, never gain from an attack... yet at least.

Let me give you an example:

Frankly if you are sitting at 1400 trophies with high level defenses, it doesn't really matter.

The Base 1 and Base 2 case are the same. You could probably even remove the walls entirely and repel attacks.

Take your base but instead make it a typical th8 base. The xbows would be gone. Your mortars would probably be level 5 or so and the wizard towers level 3 or so. It would get steam rolled.

A base that separated the gold storages would have a much better chance of retaining some of them.

Segmented bases shine against overwhelming force because the segments slow the troops down. Once an overwhelming force breaches a compartment, it clears that compartment. Troops generally have a hard time moving from compartment to compartment though.