Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about planting crops

Trainee

question about planting crops

im fairly new to Hay Day, and have a question about crops

sorry if it seems like a dumb question, just wondering if maybe i was missing something...

when using your machine, say to make something that requires carrots for example..
    why would i ever have to plant them? i can just use them if I have just purchased them from someones RSS correct?

if i dont have to plant them, then why do I have to plan them? to get XP?

hope that makes sense.

thanks!
    Last edited by lizmombiz; January 11th, 2015 at 01:54 AM.

Centennial Club
    It is not only xp, but it can be difficult to find "say" carrots in the rss. However people often sell carrots at max price. You will eventually be out of money. If you make your own carrots you can sell the excess in the shop to make your own money.

Hopefully this is what you were wondering.
    Retired Boomer and Clasher
    Clash Royale: IGN: Frontflip / Level 9 / Arena 9 / Record: 3001

Hi, lizmombiz! Welcome to the farm and the forums!

At the early levels, coins are the thing you need most. "Leveling up" too fast is one of the most common "mistakes" because you wind up without the coins to buy the machines or repair the things like the riverboat landing, fishing boat and mine that are available to you.

SELLING things in the RSS (Roadside Shop) will earn you coins without XP. This is good and gives you a chance to amass coins before leveling up so you can buy a machine/develop a site as soon as it is available to you. As soon as you reach a level, regardless of whether you have the new machine or location like the fishing area, trucks will begin asking for those items, and some will not be readily available in the DD (Daily Dirt newspaper.)

Some items (like carrots) are always available in greater or lesser quantities, and farmers know they can depend on finding them. However, until you reach a level where coins are plentiful, you'll want to produce as much of your own raw materials as you can--and sell some of them, if possible!

Growing your own crops and feeding your animals and pets gives you coins and XP. It also produces "expansion materials" that "drop" regularly. This is how all of us get most of our saws and axes to cut down dead fruit bushes and trees, materials to expand our barns and silos and our farms and fishing holes, and mining supplies. Most farmers engage in what is known as "wheating" to get extra expansion materials to use or sell.

Check out the guides in the stickie at the top of this forum for more tips for new farmers including how to "wheat".

Happy farming!!
    Last edited by MiniGardener; January 11th, 2015 at 05:53 AM.

Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

Trainee
    i understand the process, let me explain it a little better

how do i get carrots, wheat, soy beans, if im always running out, the only option is to buy more, correct.

so if run out of carrots, i buy more, and just use them for the machine, i dont have to plant them first, i can use them right away?

or does planting them first give me more carrots than was originally purchased?

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Backflip View Post
    It is not only xp, but it can be difficult to find "say" carrots in the rss. However people often sell carrots at max price. You will eventually be out of money. If you make your own carrots you can sell the excess in the shop to make your own money.

Hopefully this is what you were wondering.
    how can i 'make' more? im always running out. i assume i would have to buy more..?
    or maybe im playing too quicky :0)

im level 34 and started at christmas

To make more carrots, you need to plant some of your existing carrots. For every carrot you plant, you will grow two. It is a good idea to always have a supply in your silo. For ease of numbers sake, if your silo size is 100 and you have 10 crops available at your level, it would be good to have around 10 of each crop in silo storage. When you use some, plant some, so you can keep your stored crops at a good level.

You will be able to tweak these numbers as you play, so you always have more of what you use most of, or least of what is easy to buy from the newspaper. If you completely run out, Greg usually has a cheap seed or two for you to buy and plant to get your numbers up again. I hope this helps!

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayti View Post
    To make more carrots, you need to plant some of your existing carrots. For every carrot you plant, you will grow two. It is a good idea to always have a supply in your silo. For ease of numbers sake, if your silo size is 100 and you have 10 crops available at your level, it would be good to have around 10 of each crop in silo storage. When you use some, plant some, so you can keep your stored crops at a good level.

You will be able to tweak these numbers as you play, so you always have more of what you use most of, or least of what is easy to buy from the newspaper. If you completely run out, Greg usually has a cheap seed or two for you to buy and plant to get your numbers up again. I hope this helps!

yes, that is what i was wondering, so you double your 'stash' if you plant them.

i made the newbie mistake of leveling too fast during the holidays and had to use real money to buy some machines.. i think i will concentrate on stocking up, increasing crops etc..

but the machines are soo cute and tempting/fun

thanks again

Liz
    Add me Game Center: lizmombiz

level :57

Quote Originally Posted by lizmombiz View Post
    yes, that is what i was wondering, so you double your 'stash' if you plant them.

i made the newbie mistake of leveling too fast during the holidays and had to use real money to buy some machines.. i think i will concentrate on stocking up, increasing crops etc..

but the machines are soo cute and tempting/fun

thanks again

Liz
    Next time you or anyone else reading this right now gets in a jam where you don't have coins, take a look at this sticky. It has useful information: http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...ew-people-tips

If it's not on the sticky, then please don't be afraid to ask us for advice. Help is just a thread away.
    Last edited by ilovehayday; January 11th, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

...and no question is too "elementary"! Even though Supercell, through the scarecrow, tries to explain things, there are things like the harvest-2-for-1-planted crop ratio that are not necessarily intuitive--expecially if you are a cautious farmer, like me, who doesn't just tap on things to see what happens (what do you mean I just spent X diamonds?!?!?!)

When I first could buy apple trees, I thought that "harvest 3 times" meant I could only buy 3 trees since I was used to the limit of animals I could purchase. I only figured it out when they "died"--and then it was a whole 'nother struggle to figure out what the axe/!/megaphone signified.
    Last edited by MiniGardener; January 11th, 2015 at 11:02 PM.

Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

Trainee
    yes i figured out the trees by trial and error

so i either have Tom get saws, axes etc. (see i am paying attention) or make sure to have another one to replace.

thanks for everyone's help!

Liz
    Add me Game Center: lizmombiz

level :57