Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiggerr's Stacking steps

Tiggerr's Stacking steps

OK by request, here is my method of stacking. The first post will contain some givens based on my method of play and hopefully explain why I do what I do. The second post will contain more detailed steps. I'll edit anything that needs clarifying if anyone has any questions.

OK First some History

I learned how to stack early on because I got recruited to help the Captain's Achievement folks. In order to be able to help folks looking for their Captain's III hat, I needed to have lots of product. And because I needed lots of product, it wasn't smart to sell anything that a boat might need in order to clear up Barn space. But I was also trying to level up so I got into the habit of never selling raw goods. It was better to turn those raw goods into what I call end products and get the XP from making the goods. So it became helpful to know what goods were the best to make to free up the most barn space. Welcome to bacon and eggs. Rather than sell eggs or bacon, I'd make bacon and eggs. This one item clears up six spaces. Just enough for two bags of feed. Later on I started using mayo for the same reason. Keep this in mind when reading the steps. If one of my steps tells you to make mayo and you don't have the sauce maker, you will have to adjust and make what ever product you can that will do the same thing.

Also if you are desperately in need of coins, you should be selling everything you make and don't worry about stacking. In the beginning, the full barn warning is actually a not so subtle suggestion that you sell your stuff, or at least make it into products you then sell. Stacking is more needed when you have more machines that require more goods than you can store, or for keeping an inventory for boats and townies. Coins will become less of an issue as you reach the point where you have all the machines bought. That used to be around level 50-60. Not sure where it is now.

The whole goal of stacking is to take advantage of the 51 hidden spaces that are available outside your machines. However , it is NOT good to use all 51 on every machine. if you get too many machines up to that limit, you won't be able to easily release any product without selling. In the beginning when you don't have anything stacked, you can cue up your machines as normal. You will need to refill the barn space that making those product produced before you go to a machine that has items on the shelf. Later on when you have quite a bit stacked, you can cue up all the slots while releasing one item each time if you want. (Don't worry this will make more sense later with examples.) In order to know when to release product you will need a good idea what your inventory is like and what items you need for that boat or event etc. There are also some machines that you will rarely stack with. Right now the loom comes to mind because you need a steady supply of cotton to make sewing machine items. But after you get a good supply of these items and your machine is mastered, don't be surprised if you let that machine sit idle while you build up a stack of woolies in preparation for a future event. I also don't usually stack too many feed bags, because as you will see, the feed bags and the farm animals are crucial to successful stacking. You don't have to stack every item, if storing it in the barn is more helpful. I almost never stack my lobster traps unless there is a fishing event. I will stack lures sometimes but the cost of extra slots is just too high so I don't make as many of those as I do jams for instance

Also you need to keep in mind that I am at level 86 or something and I bought all the machines and animals available. That means this method might get hampered if you only have a couple chicken pens and only a few sheep. it can be done but you might need to adjust. I also have all the pets (yes even the ugly donkeys) and I use these in the whole stacking method. If you keep your barn full like i do, you have to keep that in mind before you wake those pets up if you want to get the max number of tool drops ( again, it will make more sense later)

in order to do this you have to change your way of thinking. A full barn is no longer problem, but a necessity. I still expand my barn, but I no longer go on a hunt for BEM unless it is for whatever my rare item is, and trust me, it changes. When you do upgrade the barn, you have to carefully decide what you need to do. Do you release everything in an attempt to fill the barn again? Since you can't see just how much you have stacked or what is at the bottom of the pile, you might end up with a barn full of fruit juice and no sugar. Do you go on a shopping spree (my favorite) or do you release just a few things or just stop stacking altogether. Believe it or not, a freshly upgraded barn is not the relief it used to be. its a bit of a pain, but a nice pain

Lastly ( at least for now) some facts

There are 51 spaces available at each machine. The mine used to be unlimited, but isn't anymore.
    I have no idea how much you can stack in the fishing area.
    What you just cued up will go to the bottom of the pile as a bunch of you learned when you made duck rings and they disappeared under your lobster traps.
    Since you get XP from making products, all those items stacked up will not register until you release them. This can make it seem like it takes forever to level up.
    Last edited by Tiggerr129; December 17th, 2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added more STUFF!

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

The Steps

OK this is what I do when I first log in every morning.

Fill the Barn

1. Collect from my bees
    ( This tells me right away what the levels in my barn are.) If it is already full, I cue up some beeswax or send off a truck order, or even chop down some dead nectar bushes so the bees can get back to business)

2. Feed my pets (Get in the habit of feeding the cats and dogs first. This frees up enough spaces to allow me to get the most tools from each pet. if you feed the horses first, and your barn is full, you might not get as many tools)

3. Start collecting from farm animals but don’t feed them yet. (This is the key to my system. Each hungry cow or chicken represents a barn space that can be freed up just by feeding them.) Usually my barn isn’t quite full because the last thing I do is serve the town and help my friends boats. If I have a lot of space, I may release feed first because those come in sets of three. This also lets me know if I have any feed shortages but I try to keep enough to feed them at least once in the barn at one time. If the barn is tight, I’ll start collecting from my cows first till the barn is full.

4. Work the dairy. Make a cream, collect from a cow, make some butter, collect from two cows, make a cheese, collect some feed. Do you see a pattern here? I try to vary what I cue up, but I also keep watching how many it shows that I have in the barn. I keep my cows over near my dairy so I don’t have to move around too much.

5. Cue up machines that take silo products only. Once the barn is full and before feeding any animals, I go to the machines that just use silo products. These include the Feed machines, Sugar mill, juice machine, popcorn (if you want to make buttered popcorn or honey popcorn, just remember to collect from a cow or goat in-between each one) , jam machine, smoothie, bread (see popcorn note, but i usually wait to make other bakery things till later) And possibly olive oil or soy sauce depending on need but don’t load the sauce machine or grill up just yet).

6. Start the Barn Dance . Now the fun begins. If you stop to look around right now, you will probably still have chickens and pigs to collect from, some feed still on the machines, some hungry farm animals and several machines that are idle. It doesn’t really matter which machine you tend to first but what you have in your barn might dictate what you do next.

a. if you have butter or cheese available, maybe make some pizza or potato bread for example. if you have a lot of product stacked up, feel free to make a few pizzas and release some bread after each one. If nothing is stacked, just make what you need. Most Pies take at least one egg, so I will make a pie, then collect from the chickens, make another pie, collect from more chickens. Again, if nothing is currently stacked, feel free to cue up all slots but before you go to a machine with anything stacked on it, make sure you collect from more animals or release some feed bags to fill the barn back up before you go to cue up more slots.

b. Now depending on your level you will probably want to cue up machines that require products you don’t have in the barn but are stacked outside that machine. For example. You want to make a cake but it requires sugar and cream and your barn is full. This is when you have to remember those items that take Barn ingredients you always have. For me those are eggs and bacon, fish etc. So before you go to make that cake, make some Bacon and Eggs or fish soup or mayo. B& E uses six items. Now you have six spaces to release some sugar and a few creams, then make more B&E, and release more sugar or cream or bread or what ever you need to make those cakes. If you don’t have the ingredients to make ANYTHING that will free up barn space for those sugars, this is when you might feed some cows or chickens. Keep this up until you have cued up as many of your machines that you need to.

7. Feed those poor animals now and make sure you have feed cooking for the next time. Now depending on how many times you fed animals to free up space to release things like sugar, cream and bread, you might have space in your barn to go fishing, collect feathers, lobsters etc. If not, you can sell some of those bacon and eggs you made. Another way to free up space is to tend to your town. This is what I do at the end so that I do have space, just in case the neighbor whose boat I just helped, might have some goodies for sale in their RSS. Also keep in mind that you need a couple spaces in your barn in order to collect tools from harvesting those crops.

Does that all make sense? If not ask questions and I’ll try to clarify things. Remember , most of the specifics are just examples. If I said, “feed a cow” and all you have is hungry chickens, then feed one of those.
    Last edited by Tiggerr129; December 17th, 2014 at 12:50 AM.

Main Topic guide

In the back corner of my mind trying to find sanity
    Oh tigger thank you.... I do try stacking but it does not seem to work well for me. I tend to get into a tangle after a while. I am mildly successful at it so I know your guide will be worth waiting for. I for one will be watching this space!
    Farm Level 119
    Barn Size 2900
    Town Level 39

Scortched Earth Challange done and dusted.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to using your guide!

Right now i use the stacking method for my sugar machine, almost always. I wish i could do the same with the dairy machine as well but dairy products vanish instantly, at least in my case.

I agree with the barn expanding issue. Once i expand the barn, the 150 plus free barn space becomes a problem since a decision has to be made for the stacked sugar products. If there are plenty, i would harvest all animals and products and animal feed, and try to fill the rest of my barn (because it would still be a bit empty) with stuff which sells fast like popcorn and bread. All this action needs some determination! Once my barn is full, i will one by one feed my hungry animals and discard fast selling common items into RSS.

However if i have less items stacked i just dont bother with all this and collect them... Just like i did today and... Suddenly i realized i had ran out of white sugar! Yes i had plenty of brown and syrup but was left with two white sugars! Since you cannot make sure how many of each items you have stacked outside, even though i try to fill my machine in a balanced way (like 5 w + 2 s + 2 b) it is a bit risky and unpredictable. Do you have any suggestions?
    GC: Madeleine Akaino KIK: madeleineakaino
    Farm Level 107 & Town Level 34, NH: Its Jennys Hood

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineAkaino View Post
    Right now i use the stacking method for my sugar machine, almost always. I wish i could do the same with the dairy machine as well but dairy products vanish instantly, at least in my case.

I agree with the barn expanding issue. Once i expand the barn, the 150 plus free barn space becomes a problem since a decision has to be made for the stacked sugar products. If there are plenty, i would harvest all animals and products and animal feed, and try to fill the rest of my barn (because it would still be a bit empty) with stuff which sells fast like popcorn and bread. All this action needs some determination! Once my barn is full, i will one by one feed my hungry animals and discard fast selling common items into RSS.

However if i have less items stacked i just dont bother with all this and collect them... Just like i did today and... Suddenly i realized i had ran out of white sugar! Yes i had plenty of brown and syrup but was left with two white sugars! Since you cannot make sure how many of each items you have stacked outside, even though i try to fill my machine in a balanced way (like 5 w + 2 s + 2 b) it is a bit risky and unpredictable. Do you have any suggestions?
    oh I know what you mean. Sometimes I actually hate expanding because at this level it takes over 70 of each and goes up by 50, so you get almost 300 spaces. Then its "ok what do I collect?" or do I shop! I love to shop.

The best suggestion I have to keep up with the dairy, sugar, bread and olive oil which are my problem products is to resist doing the Barn dance part each time I open the game and just make dairy stuff (collecting from cows of course), sugar, bread and olive oil. If I keep going and make cakes, or ice cream etc, then I can't keep enough stuff in stock for emergencies. I have 25-30 of most salads, soups and sandwiches and more stacked outside. if I don't watch it, I end up with way too many of those and not enough of the things that go into making them. The last time I upgraded the barn, I released all my juices and ended up with over 40 of one kind and a shortage of raspberries.

The great thing about stacking things like popcorn and juice but releasing sugars and creams is that you make use of those extra spaces which allow you to keep the sugars and breads in the barn. Try stacking something other than sugars, like jams, sandwiches and salads, then you can keep your sugars and dairy in the barn. I also try to take notice of what the townies ask for. Mine seem to like cherry and tomato juice but not carrot juice. Boats on the other hand usually ask for carrot juice. So depending on what you focus on, you can make more of one than the other.
    Last edited by Tiggerr129; December 17th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.

Main Topic guide

Wow!! Thank you Tigger!!! Awesome help for a lot of new (and not so new) Hay Day players!

I recently got into stacking salad and sandwich bar products actually And it naturally works better since you also use many bacons, eggs and sauces in the process Good idea!
    GC: Madeleine Akaino KIK: madeleineakaino
    Farm Level 107 & Town Level 34, NH: Its Jennys Hood

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineAkaino View Post
    I recently got into stacking salad and sandwich bar products actually And it naturally works better since you also use many bacons, eggs and sauces in the process Good idea!
    Just be careful. Once you get addicted to all those salads and sandwiches, you'll be making lots of olive oil and needing saws for the trees. That's my problem. Everyone else has problems with saws and nectar bushes. With me its saws and olive trees.

Main Topic guide

Thanks so much for letting your critters fend for themselves and your fields lie fallow while you made this guide for us!! Your order of addressing each piece of the puzzle is especially helpful. I agree...those little bees and their honey and wax are very useful. One of the tips you give that I just recently discovered is feeding your dogs and cats but NOT waking them up. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats, and I want ALL of the barn slots I get for feeding them to feed my farm animals. I got tired of "losing" a slot to a dropped tool.

When you mention the tools you get for harvesting/feeding, are you trying to keep your barn at exactly maximum? In other words, the tools will still drop and become "max + X" tools even if your barn is full. Other than the "pet issue", I haven't worried about going over the maximum. The thing that most often triggers "max + X" is collecting gifts from a load of townies. I'm still upgrading my town shops, expanding my town, expanding my fishing area, and OF COURSE my barn and silo, so I need the gifts, but they do put me over "max" when I've got a bunch of visitors who are coming out of their second shop.

Thanks again, Tigg!! We who are about to stack salute you!!

Farm Level 123 | Town 40 | Achievements 141/144