Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Puzzled by several features, can't find any explanations of how to us them

  1. #1

    Puzzled by several features, can't find any explanations of how to us them

    Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, so apologies if I don't get some things right in my post. I have a couple of questions that are probably obvious to most players at higher levels but I am relatively new to the game. So bear with me, here are my questions:

    I have searched for instructions on how to use help:

    1. I have used up trees and bushes and sometimes I can ask for them to be restored and at other times I can't. It makes no sense when I can and when I can't. What are the rules of getting things watered and asking for help with that?

    2. Similar question about the boat, can I just ask for help every time I want to fill something or is there a limit? How do I know?

    I'm also puzzled by Tom:

    1. I am looking to get Tom for a week to get enough materials to enlarge my silo and barn, nothing else. But I have no idea what things might cost because they are never around long enough to see how they might be priced. Anybody who can tell me what to expect for say the maximum number of boards or tape or whatever? I would be looking to buy the highest number available of barn and silo enlarging items.

    As an aside for the Supercell, it would be great to have some instruction about the fact that Tom is going to disappear after the trial phase and become really expensive. I would have used him completely differently if I had been given that information. There is a general lack of information about key features like Tom, help with boats and plants etc.

    Thanks in advance for any hints and tips, I think Hay Day is a great game, love the way it makes it possible to interact with other players and I can't wait to get my neighbourhood house up and running. So might see some of you soon in the neighbourhood!

  2. #2
    Fresh Spawn Wolfy910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2
    When it comes to the trees and bushes I believe you can use them three times then ask for them to be watered once. I may be wrong as I'm still newish to the game.

    With the boat so far I've been able to ask for help three times for each shipment, just click on the item crate you want to get help with and then on the right of the screen. It will have a button that says "Ask for Help (x/3)" where x is the amount of times you have asked.

    With Tom I just used him to get the shovels and axes, stupidly I didn't pay attention to the prices of the items so Im pretty useless with that.

  3. #3
    Forum All-Star MiniGardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ...pruning my topiaries!
    Posts
    4,120
    Hi, Sisalka! Welcome to the forums and the farm!

    Your questions are all reasonable. I just went and looked through the available guides and "Help and Support" FAQs and didn't easily find help for you. It's surprising that there isn't a section in the "Help and Support" for plants and crops. There are some guides in the "stickies" on the boats. Everyone has a love/ relationship with Tom.

    For bushes and trees:
    - You buy a tree or bush
    - harvest it three times, it grows bigger and produces more each time you harvest it
    - it wilts, and you have the choice of chopping it down (DON'T!!) or getting help so that it can produce one more crop before you have to chop it down and replace it
    - ask for help by swooshing an ! onto it; if you place something in your RSS (Roadside Shop) with an ad on it, anyone who sees your ad in the paper will come to your farm and revive your plants; you double tap their farm icon to send them a thank you note (you can do the same thing by looking for ads with an ! in the paper and reviving other farms' plants for thank you notes)
    - after a bush/tree has been revived and produced its fourth harvest, you have to chop it down and replace it
    NOTE: I recommend leaving the fruit on the tree or bush until you need it, it won't "rot". Immediately replant whenever you chop something down. I don't harvest fruit unless I have axes or saws to chop down the deadwood.

    For the boat:
    As Wolfy says, you can only ask for help with 3 crates on each boat. Farmers who see your ad in the DD (Daily Dirt newspaper) will help with crates. You can place a new ad for free every 5 minutes. Check the stickie Boat Guide for more info.

    For Tom: you cannot get him to bring you expansion materials for your barn, silo, or farmland. Every farmer has different techniques for when and why to hire Tom. I remember the shock of getting used to Tom and then discovering that he was not going to be available every 2 hours to get things for me--that it would cost me diamonds! For a while I hired him whenever I saved up 15 diamonds, but then I learned that it was a better use of my diamonds to expand the production queue on my machines--especially dairy, sugar and animal feed. I'm still using most of my diamonds for that. When I hire Tom, it's generally for tools: axes to chop down dead bushes, picks for mining; you will have different things you want as you "level up". Anything you buy from Tom will be hugely discounted. He never charges you anywhere near full price.

    Prices: happily, there is a maximum price for anything sold in the DD/RSS. If you see things like tape or planks that you need, JUST GRAB THEM or they will disappear before your eyes. The only disaster you can face is shopping without at least 10 empty slots in your barn. All of us have found the offer of a lifetime and been unable to buy it because we didn't have enough space in the barn.

    Keep reading the things that appear in the forums, and you will learn a bunch of techniques to help you. We all stumbled along at first, and we all have things we wish we had known earlier. Just hang in there and you will grow even happier as a farmer!!
    Last edited by MiniGardener; November 15th, 2014 at 03:59 AM.

    Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

  4. #4

    Unhappy Help

    I've read the help section but I just don't get it. I need help on my farm and I supposed to put a ! Any place that I need help. I don't know how to put a ! On my farm. I try clicking on the place where I need help and it only tells me I don't have any saws. Also who's tom? I haven't seen a tom. Please help I like this game but I'm getting so frustrated.

  5. #5
    Forum All-Star MiniGardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ...pruning my topiaries!
    Posts
    4,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabatha89 View Post
    I've read the help section but I just don't get it. I need help on my farm and I supposed to put a ! Any place that I need help. I don't know how to put a ! On my farm. I try clicking on the place where I need help and it only tells me I don't have any saws. Also who's tom? I haven't seen a tom. Please help I like this game but I'm getting so frustrated.
    Hi, Tabatha, welcome to the forums. Sorry you are getting frustrated! I hope that by visiting around in the forums you will get the information you need. Here's a start...

    Tom is the boy who you will see standing in the road to the right of the mailboxes. I'm not sure at what level he first appears, but you can send him on errands to get things for you. His first 24 hour session is free. After that you have to spend diamonds to "hire" him. Check the guides in the stickies for more information.

    The only things you can get "help" on are trees and bushes that you plant and crates in the river boat. You may not be at the level yet where you have repaired the stone landing for the river boat. There is a "Boat" section in the stickie guides.

    For help on the trees and bushes, I tried to explain that in my earlier post in this thread.

    The best advice I can give on learning how the game works is to watch some of Ranger's videos. I'm not any good with links, but he has a new one that shows EVERYTHING! Here's how to get there:

    General forum...Off-topic sub-forum (it's at the top of the general forum by the little scarecrow picture)...New Town Video Diary thread by Ranger (it's on the first page)...go to the last entry "Everything Hayday"

    Good luck!

    Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    Hi, Tabatha, welcome to the forums. Sorry you are getting frustrated! I hope that by visiting around in the forums you will get the information you need. Here's a start...

    Tom is the boy who you will see standing in the road to the right of the mailboxes. I'm not sure at what level he first appears, but you can send him on errands to get things for you. His first 24 hour session is free. After that you have to spend diamonds to "hire" him. Check the guides in the stickies for more information.

    The only things you can get "help" on are trees and bushes that you plant and crates in the river boat. You may not be at the level yet where you have repaired the stone landing for the river boat. There is a "Boat" section in the stickie guides.

    For help on the trees and bushes, I tried to explain that in my earlier post in this thread.

    The best advice I can give on learning how the game works is to watch some of Ranger's videos. I'm not any good with links, but he has a new one that shows EVERYTHING! Here's how to get there:

    General forum...Off-topic sub-forum (it's at the top of the general forum by the little scarecrow picture)...New Town Video Diary thread by Ranger (it's on the first page)...go to the last entry "Everything Hayday"

    Good luck!
    Thank you I might not be at that level yet. I'm just starting. The trees I'm talking about is the ones that you start out with. You need to clear trees in order to make space for item to put on ur farm, I can't find the ! To get help with that. Though if tom doesn't come until a certain level, maybe I can't ask for help until a certain level
    ?

  7. #7
    Forum Elder knitgal2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabatha89 View Post
    Thank you I might not be at that level yet. I'm just starting. The trees I'm talking about is the ones that you start out with. You need to clear trees in order to make space for item to put on ur farm, I can't find the ! To get help with that. Though if tom doesn't come until a certain level, maybe I can't ask for help until a certain level
    ?
    The original trees on the farm are not something that you can "get help" on...you may leave any or all of them up, chop them all down, or chop some of them down. If you would like to cut down a tree, tap on it and it will show you either an axe or a saw (depending on the size of the tree...larger ones need saws). If you have them in stock, it will show you how many, and then just swoosh (as MiniGardener said) it down onto the tree and it will cut it down for you.

    Hint: Many of us cut just about all our original trees down to make room for machines, but when the fall theme arrived, the original trees turned pretty fall colors, but not the ones we bought as decorations. If you like the idea of having those pretty fall colors on your farm during the fall theme, don't cut them all down and work around them the best you can.


    GC/KIK: knitgal2/knitgal - Level 112 - Town Level 28
    Completed TTII and TTIII back to back...at Level 60! It CAN be done at higher levels!


  8. #8
    Forum All-Star MiniGardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ...pruning my topiaries!
    Posts
    4,120
    KnitGal is right!! Unless you like the clear fields look, don't chop down any original trees or remove any rocks or ponds until you need the space.

    I'm one who likes the original features and I have many of my machines located in the "shade" of original trees and my animal pens and pet houses nestle in between rocks and trees. I have original ponds in my horse pasture.

    I have to be very careful not to accidentally cut down trees when I am working with my machines, harvesting fruit or feeding my pets. So far, I've cut down four of my precious original trees this way. For example, I wanted to feed my rabbits and I tapped and swooshed what I thought was a carrot and it was a saw. I keep hoping for a double-tap confirmation for chopping down trees/bushes.

    Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    KnitGal is right!! Unless you like the clear fields look, don't chop down any original trees or remove any rocks or ponds until you need the space.

    I'm one who likes the original features and I have many of my machines located in the "shade" of original trees and my animal pens and pet houses nestle in between rocks and trees. I have original ponds in my horse pasture.

    I have to be very careful not to accidentally cut down trees when I am working with my machines, harvesting fruit or feeding my pets. So far, I've cut down four of my precious original trees this way. For example, I wanted to feed my rabbits and I tapped and swooshed what I thought was a carrot and it was a saw. I keep hoping for a double-tap confirmation for chopping down trees/bushes.
    Good to know. But I'm not getting saws anyway. How do u get them? I see one every few days and sometimes not even then

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabatha89 View Post
    Good to know. But I'm not getting saws anyway. How do u get them? I see one every few days and sometimes not even then
    Saws are an uncommon drop... keep harvesting your fields and collecting from the animals and you will get some, more saws than the rare wood panels or duct tape!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •