Contents
    - Introduction
    - Showcase
    - Features
    - Pros and Cons
    - Defense Logs
    - Closing

Introduction
    After fixing and modifying the Optimus with multiple adjustments, I had realized that I had created an altogether new and contemporary base which suits the Hero adjustment and the incoming new update with updated resource prioritization. Subsequently I had used many popular bases and realized the vast underestimation and large value of trap placement and AI pathing. I had always become desirous of later Town Hall bases especially Avernicus's labyrinth designs which featured advanced funnelling and pathing methods. This lead to the creation of a solid TH7 base founded around unique concepts.

Introducing Trion- a TH7 farming base adapted from the original Optimus base design, the result of over 40 tested replays against a plethora of army compositions. Trion boasts untestable and wise trap placement and has been testified to stand up surprisingly well even against TH8/9 armies. Modifications have also been added to suit players' separate needs. Lastly, note that Trion is a variant of the Optimus and the hybrid TH8 Pokeball, hence its similar wall structure.

As always, modifications to suit personal preferences are welcome though please note that tampering with the design may ruin the purpose and mechanics behind it.

Showcase

As you can see there is no definite core in Trion. Compartments have been segmented to create a jigsaw-pieced segmented vault where once troops hit the center the efficiency of the base is not compromised. Defense logs have been tested from 1100 all the way up to the 1900s and can protect all resources with a higher emphasis on one resource. Better Air Defense and Dark Elixir Storage protection can be found below.

Giant bombs, teslas and the multiple 2x2 spaces may be switched around to the users' discretion.

If you would like to protect your DE Drill, simply swap it with an upgrading defensive building.

Better Air Defense placement and coverage at the cost of exposure of Elixir Storages. Best used for mid-late TH7s. The Elixir Storage acts as a distraction and tank for the mortar as well, effectively diverting goblin swarms (the other half will be taken care of by the giant bomb).

Big thanks to Mungoflago for his Air Defense modification. Changes from the original base is noted in red. The replay that inspired this modification can be found at the Defense Logs section.

Better Dark Elixir protection at the cost of offsetting the Clan Castle. Suited for those saving for Dark Elixir upgrades for the Barbarian King or Dark Troops.

Design Features and Mechanics

TL;DR: The Trion has highly separated storages to prevent attackers from reaching both and settle with usually one primary and secondary storage which can hold up against most casual TH7/8s. AI pathing and anti-WB mechanisms ensure attackers will have a hard time reaching even ONE storage. The core is also segmented unlike many designs so the difficulty to penetrate the base is kept to an even rate.

Detailed explanation: The purpose of the base is to create a base which can hold up against casual TH7/8 farming strategies such as BARCH, BAM, Giant-Healer, etc. and prevent them from reaching both primary resource storages (in the showcase gold is the primary resource) at the cost of allowing them to take out one storage without too much difficulty.

For most troops, AI pathing for non-specific targeting troops will be lead around base, especially goblins. The majority of troops will head on to the base itself where Giants will target either the Cannon or tesla depending on deployment and will path into the springs towards the archer tower. Bomb placement is to act as a cheap recoil for ranged troops to be finished off by the mortar or wizard tower. Giants will continue to ring around the base while troops are under fire by defenses.

Staggered walls and junctions act as a counter-measure against Wall Breaker splash damage and roaming between compartments. Air Defense placement discourages Giant-Healer armies as AI pathing leads them away from it. In the unlikely circumstance (usually due to a few Wall Breakers or sustained by a heal spell) that the Giants make it through to the Air Defense compartment they will be isolated from other buildings and Healers deployed will be quickly taken care of by the Seeking Air Mine (virtually all attackers start their attack from the north-west side of the base due to targeting Dark Elixir).

Giant Bomb placement is placed to take out troops who decide to avoid Wizard Towers and Air Bombs quickly destroy minion hordes. Multiple 2x2 spaces keeps the attack guessing where the traps are, which also can be swapped at the users discretion.

Mortars are placed in separate compartments to prevent troops from conveniently taking out all three at once. Lastly, point defenses have been evenly spread out for a smooth distribution.

As the defense logs will show below, it is actually very hard to reach both storages and is solid against most armies except strong TH8/9 attacks, where in some cases it can hold up very well despite the brute strength of the armies used.

Observations by HexxenHammer: http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...56#post2921556

Observations and review by HeroicBubbles: http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...83#post3073183

Observations and review by Ysera: http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...87#post3465887

Features

• Centralized Clan Castle- Makes it difficult for attackers to lure out troops and killed in a corner

• Equilateral storage placement- Hard for attackers to get both storages of the primary resource.
    • Optimal Air Defense placement- isolates Giants from Healers for a prolonged period of time.
    • Segmentation- Each compartment is sectioned and makes it highly difficult to reach both storages.
    • Anti-Wall Breaker mechanics- Wall Breakers are limited at opening compartments one at a time due to ALL sections staggered at a minimum of two tiles rendering Wall Breaker splash damage useless. As you can see there is also no improper or X-junctions in the design.
    • Funnelling and trap placement- Untestable traps have been cleverly laid and has the potential to turn the tide of a raid unlike other designs where traps are laid outside where any troop can scout them. Seeking Air Mine is placed to take out Healers coming from the most common assault direction and Air Mines are placed to quickly eliminate Minion swarms.
    • Symmetry- Symmetric-round layout discourages attacks from coming from specific directions
    • Viability- Base holds up well against popular farming armies such as BARCH, BAM or BAG despite its looks.
    • Multiple 2x2 spaces- Guises teslas and giant bomb placement

Cons

• Dark Elixir Storage side is regularly targeted by raiders
    • Vulnerable to Jump Spells IF giant bombs are not re-armed
    • West side is technically weaker than the east due to the uneven amount of mortars available

Defense Logs

Gold is the primary resource in all logs shown. 40+ defenses are shown below from 1100-1900 trophy range. Note that I can post your logs here if you want!

[Featured Replay for the AD modification by Mungoflago]

162 lvl5 Archers, 2 lvl3 Dragons + lvl2 Dragon

Start of attack:

They cleared the entire south-east side:

They then launched a ton of archers to hit the ad:

They then launched the dragons:

One heal spell got them to half of the DE as well:

This replay inspired Mungoflago for his AD modification. Be sure to use it if you get regularly get hit by air troops!

[HexxenHammer's Replays]

Clan Castle Troops: 20 archers, level 4/5
    Barbarian King: Level 5, On Duty
    Primary Resource: Gold

Valiant attempt followed by an epic fail. Giants go for north-east cannon in front of primary resource [gold] and are then lured toward the hidden tesla in north-east corne, running into the double spring trap, effectively foiling the raid. Wizards ran into the Giant Bomb as seen in pic.

Zapped east mortar, then attacked from east with GiBarch. Giants fell into double spring trap again, Barch combo claimed a little more than half the available loot, as other defenses were distracted by remaining Giants.

A squandered revenge attempt. Brought all archers and failed miserably. After zapping eastern mortar, the entire raid fell apart.

Top Log: Barch combo on steroids was very effective. BK tanked a lot of the damage while basic infantry looted storages.

Second Log: An actual attack from a fellow TH7-er. He got one elixir storage [secondary resource, southeast corner] but not much else. Giants have a hard time with this layout it seems.

First attack

Under Construction- one AD, one AT and one Cannon
    BK- On Duty
    CC- Full
    The raider failed terribly with BARCH to get to the storages but managed to take out the Air Defense and sent in a level 4 Dragon, which cleared both storages with ease.

Second attack
    Under Construction - two ATs and one Cannon
    BK- Off Duty
    CC- Full
    The raider got two and half of the 5 storages at the cost of 3 healing spells. He took care of the outside buildings which are not covered by any defenses and send mass barbs to get to the storages (one gold storage, one elixir storage and DE storage were still safe).

Attack 1: Mass minion raid took out 1 Gold and 1 Elixir storage, so roughly 50% available loot for each. The Air Defense on the west side of the base was upgrading at the time, being the reason of the the amount of loot stolen.

Attack 2: Managed to take out one elixir storage, and a bit of the amount of the 226k gold that was available. The attack came from the south, and the enemy tried to take both south Gold/Elixir storages. Wall breakers got through to elixir storage first so the goblins and other troops funnelled through the elixir storage side. Lost 50% of available elixir, which shouldn't matter being the secondary resource.

Attack 3: A TH8 (remember better upgraded troops) BARCH attack. He would have gotten around 60% if the Barbarian King and heal spell wasn't there. The Barbarian King by himself did a lot of damage to the north-east Gold Storage after the other troops broke through the first set of walls.

Upgrading: One mortar and AD

The three dragons managed to take out the elixir storage.

Upgrading: 2 cannons and one AT

In the first two defenses the armies used were very heavy but even still the base stood up very well. The second attack, which a lot of resources was lost, had no traps or clan castle troops available.

Upgrading: one mortar, one AD, one AT

First attack: The reason the large amount of elixir is lost is due to the lightning on two mortars.
    Second attack: Takes out second AD (first is upgrading) and uses Balloonion, which is a powerful attack strategy. Base was three starred (even TH8/9/10 isn't powerful enough to handle Balloonion raids).
    Third attack: Managed to take one elixir storage but gold was untouched.

Upgrading: one mortar, one AD, one AT

Another all TH8 attack. First two attacks only take out one storage of each. Last attack took down all storages with 15 hogs. Archers in clan castle take care of the rest of the hogs not before the attacker got a two star.

Upgrading: one AT, one tesla and one AD

Yet again all three attackers are TH8s (with better upgraded troops they can withstand and much deal more damage) so the loot taken was quite high. All attackers only managed to take one storage.

Not much to say here. Second attack managed to take out one storage.

Again, not much. Second attack managed to take out one primary storage and sc♥♥♥♥ a 50%.

All three-star attacks from multiple heavy armies which no TH7 should be able to withstand. Attack One is a TH9 BARCH, Attack Two is a TH8 mass wizard attack and Attack Three a TH8 mass dragon attack. Note the trophy range used in the defense logs.

Upgrading: three AT and one AD

Attack One: Half of the primary resources reached (this is defending a TH8 attack).
    Attack Two: Two gold storages reached (this is a TH9 with lvl6 troops).
    Attack Three: Fail TH6 archer raid.

Attack One: TH9 bring both Heroes and spells couldn't reach both primary storages.
    Attack Two: TH snipe.
    Attack Three: Mass Wizard/Hog attack- ONLY 63%

Closing

Big thanks to these people for helping Trion with defense logs, feedback, criticism and overall making this design possible:

-Suranjan16049
    -Flexn
    -Log1c
    -Flhux
    -BlackJewl
    -HexxenHammer
    -Mungoflago

The testing thread for Trion (then known as V3 Optimus) can be found here and the original design which led to Trion, can be found here. Constructive feedback and criticism is appreciated If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask below! Thanks for reading!

If you are interested, you can find my TH8 farming base Nautilus here.

Last edited by DokuganR; December 19th, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Retired

A parallel universe where all cards are balanced
    Call it a th7 pokeball and be done with it lol, i can detect so many similarities
    Otherwise great base with extensive defense logs.
    Have a nice day.

Forum Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by thenextman View Post
    Call it a th7 pokeball and be done with it lol, i can detect so many similarities
    The Optimus was a variant of the Pokeball and Trion is a variant of the Optimus, I hope that cleared it up for you

Thanks for the feedback, in fact, I'll include that in the thread.
    Retired

I've used Junliang's TH7 pokéball as well as Optimus/Trion. There are a few key differences, namely:

-- Primary resource protection
    -- Better core protection
    -- Empty spaces on the corners to serve as dummy/fake trap locations

I can attest the base holds up well. Yeah, we know it's a bit derivative, but it still has a some features that make it unique.

Forum Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by HexxenHammer View Post
    I've used Junliang's TH7 pokéball as well as Optimus/Trion. There are a few key differences, namely:

-- Primary resource protection
    -- Better core protection
    -- Empty spaces on the corners to serve as dummy/fake trap locations

I can attest the base holds up well. Yeah, we know it's a bit derivative, but it still has a some features that make it unique.
    Thanks for clearing it up for me Those points among others. Basically, I've made an improvised version of the Pokeball, at least to me. The Pokeball is still a great base but its overused so I decided to have a try at creating something similar but with my improvisations.

Other differences include:

- Better funnelling
    - Segmented core
    - Staggered junctions
    - Giant Bomb placement to take out mass swarms of troops

Among others, of course.
    Retired

http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...light=junliang
    ^Look at 1 P) the hybrid pokeball, notice the similarities?
    Have a nice day.

Forum Superstar
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...light=junliang
    ^Look at 1 P) the hybrid pokeball, notice the similarities?
    Yeah, as I've said it's a variant of the Pokeball...
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DokuganR View Post
    Yeah, as I've said it's a variant of the Pokeball...
    You said it was the variant of a variant, but it seems to be the th7 version of a th8 base.
    Have a nice day.

Forum Superstar
    You said it was the variant of a variant, but it seems to be the th7 version of a th8 base.
    So what happened was I first decided to give the Optimus a segmented core. I designed three different cores for segmentation, all inspired from the pokeball- first I tried isolating the CC from the rest of the buildings but that created X-junctions, which I didn't want in my base. Secondly I tried an X-core which included the CC, all three mortars and the DE storage. I didn't like that one because once Giants hit the core with a rage they would destroy all the important structures. So I settles to the third- no X-junctions, mortars in different compartments and walls were staggered well. So I chose on the third, which, as you have said before, seen in the hybrid Pokeball. I also included multiple adjustments such as funnelling, etc.

The base may not be unique, but me and my testers can verify that it holds up very well against attacks. I hope I cleared that up

I'm looking for some constructive criticism and feedback! Anyone have any questions?
    Retired

Banned
    Retiring- If you have a clan you want me to visit before I do VM me!
    I like it! Nice job.