Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly's Guide to Upgrading

Leading the Fuzzy Bunny division of the Illuminati

Fly's Guide to Upgrading

Have you ever stared idly at your village struggling to figure out what to upgrade next? Fear no longer! This guide will help you decide what to upgrade and when to upgrade it.

This guide is broken down into sections by Town Hall (TH) level.

TH 2

Items Available:

--
    Town Hall
    -- Army Camp
    --Barracks (x2)
    --Cannon (x2)
    -- Archer Tower
    --Wall (x25)
    --Gold Storage
    -- Elixir Storage
    -- Gold Mine (x2)
    -- Elixir Collector (x2)

Recommended Upgrade Order:

Note: Before you start upgrading anything, you should buy the newly unlocked buildings and/or defenses.

-- Cannons first. They are the cheapest defensive turret in the game, and at TH 2, they form a critical part of your defense. [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 3. They are probably your main source of resources, and as always, the more resources the better. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your archer tower. This is your main long-range defense, and it is VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 2. This unlocks archers, which are handy in attacks as they are long range. (Side note: this is also part of the Release the Beasts achievement.) [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have more troops. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --
    Upgrade your cannons to level 3
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 4.
    --Upgrade your walls. This takes a while and is costly, but it pays off in the long run. If your base is divided into compartments, upgrade the walls that are shared between the compartments first. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 3!

TH 3

Items Available:
    -- Town Hall
    -- Army Camp (x2)
    --Barracks (x2)
    --Laboratory
    --Cannon (x2)
    -- Archer Tower (x2)
    --Mortar
    --Bomb (x2)
    --Wall (x50)
    --Gold Storage (x2)
    -- Elixir Storage (x2)
    -- Gold Mine (x3)
    -- Elixir Collector (x3)
    --Clan Castle

Note: Before you start upgrading anything, you should buy the newly unlocked buildings and/or defenses. Here, the exception is the mortar (unless you have enough gold to buy it right away) and the laboratory. When you first start upgrading, make sure that all of your newly purchased stuff is of the same level as what you already have. (Example: All my gold mines are level 4. I buy a new one that is level 1. I should upgrade my level one gold mine to level 4 before I start upgrading my gold mines to level 5.)
    Also note: Although you unlock the clan castle at TH 3, I don't recommend building it until TH 4.

-- Cannons first. They are the cheapest defensive turret in the game, and at TH 3, they still form a critical part of your defense. [Maximum Level: 4]
    -- Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 5 (And don't forget about your new items as well!). They are probably your main source of resources, and as always, the more resources the better. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 6]
    -- Upgrade your archer tower. This is your main long-range defense, and it is VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 3 or level 4. This gives you more space in your barracks so you can train more troops at a time. [Maximum Level: 5]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have a bigger army. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your bombs to level 2. People often underestimate how much damage they can do. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Buy the mortar if you haven't already. [Maximum Level: 1]
    --Upgrade your cannons to level 4.
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 6.
    --Upgrade your walls. This takes a while and is costly, but it pays off in the long run. If your base is divided into compartments, upgrade the walls that are shared between the compartments first. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Buy the laboratory. Now you can upgrade your troops to make them stronger. [Maximum Level: 1]
    --Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 4!

TH 4

Items Available:

-- Town Hall
    -- Army Camp (x2)
    --Barracks (x3)
    --Laboratory
    --Cannon (x2)
    -- Archer Tower (x2)
    -- Air Defense
    --Mortar
    --Bomb (x2)
    --Spring Trap (x2)
    --Wall (x75)
    --Gold Storage (x2)
    -- Elixir Storage (x2)
    -- Gold Mine (x4)
    -- Elixir Collector (x4)
    --Clan Castle

Note: Before you start upgrading anything, you should buy the newly unlocked buildings and/or defenses. The air defense, although it is kind of expensive, is really useful. Make sure to buy it right away!

--Upgrade the laboratory. Upgraded troops are the key to stronger attacks. [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your cannons. Cannons are relatively cheap to upgrade, and they'll help to stop people from ransacking your base. [Maximum Level: 5]
    -- Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 6 (And don't forget about your new items as well!). The more resources the better! [Maximum Level: 8]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 8]
    --Upgrade the mortar. The splash damage it inflicts on your enemies is key to defending your base. [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your archer towers. These are your main long-range defenses, and they are VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --
    Build your clan castle. This allows you to join a clan! [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 5 or level 6. This gives you more space in your barracks so you can train more troops at a time. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have a bigger army. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade your air defense. This will be very useful in the long run. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 7. (I wouldn't worry about maxing them out at TH 4, but if you want to, then go for it.)
    --Upgrade your walls. This takes a while and is costly, but it pays off in the long run. It also helps to intimidate your enemies. If they see a base with high level walls, they'll think twice about attacking it. If your base is divided into compartments, upgrade the walls that are shared between the compartments first.[Maximum Level: 4]--Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 5!

TH 5

Items Available:

-- Town Hall
    -- Army Camp (x3)
    --Barracks (x3)
    --Laboratory
    --Spell Factory
    --Cannon (x3)
    -- Archer Tower (x3)
    -- Air Defense
    --Mortar
    --Wizard Tower
    --Bomb (x4)
    --Spring Trap (x2)
    --Air Bomb (x2)
    --Wall (x100)
    --Gold Storage (x2)
    -- Elixir Storage (x2)
    -- Gold Mine (x5)
    -- Elixir Collector (x5)
    --Clan Castle

Note: Before you start upgrading anything, you should buy the newly unlocked buildings and/or defenses.

--Upgrade the laboratory. Upgraded troops are the key to stronger attacks. [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your cannons. Cannons are relatively cheap to upgrade, and they'll help to stop people from ransacking your base. [Maximum Level: 6]
    -- Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 7. The more resources the better! [Maximum Level: 10]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 9]
    --Upgrade your mortar. The splash damage it inflicts on your enemies is key to defending your base. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your wizard tower. Similar to the mortar, it deals splash damage and helps to form a strong defense. [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your archer towers. These are your main long-range defenses, and they are VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 6]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 6 or level 7. This gives you more space in your barracks so you can train more troops at a time. [Maximum Level: 7]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have a bigger army. [Maximum Level: 5]
    --Upgrade your air defense. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your bombs. [Maximum Level: 3]​
    --Upgrade your air bombs. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade your clan castle to level 2.
    This means you can house more reinforcement troops and more clan war loot. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 8. (I think it's a little premature to max them out, but if you really want to and have extra time and resources, go ahead.)
    --Upgrade your walls. This takes a while and is costly, but it pays off in the long run. It also helps to intimidate your enemies. If they see a base with high level walls, they'll think twice about attacking it. If your base is divided into compartments, upgrade the walls that are shared between the compartments first. [Maximum Level: 5]
    --Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 6!

TH 6

Items Available:

-- Town Hall
    -- Army Camp (x3)
    --Barracks (x3)
    --Laboratory
    --Spell Factory
    --Cannon (x3)
    -- Archer Tower (x3)
    -- Air Defense
    --Mortar (x2)
    --Wizard Tower (x2)
    --Bomb (x4)
    --Spring Trap (x4)
    --Air Bomb (x2)
    -- Giant Bomb
    --Wall (x125)
    --Gold Storage (x2)
    -- Elixir Storage (x2)
    -- Gold Mine (x6)
    -- Elixir Collector (x6)
    --Clan Castle

--Upgrade the laboratory. Upgraded troops are the key to stronger attacks. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade the spell factory. At spell factory level 2, you unlock the healing spell. [Maximum Level: 2]
    -- Upgrade your cannons. Cannons are relatively cheap to upgrade, and they'll help to stop people from ransacking your base. [Maximum Level: 7]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 10]
    --Upgrade your mortars. The splash damage it inflicts on your enemies is key to defending your base. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade your wizard tower. Similar to the mortar, it deals splash damage and helps to form a strong defense. [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your archer towers. These are your main long-range defenses, and they are VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 7]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 8. This gives you more space in your barracks so you can train more troops at a time. Also, you unlock the healer which is super helpful. [Maximum Level: 8]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have a bigger army. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your clan castle to level 3. This means you can house more reinforcement troops and more clan war loot. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your air defense. If you don't want to upgrade your air defense at this point, that's okay. Looking back, I kind of wish I upgrade my air defense, but it didn't really hurt things overall. If you want to be a superstar, upgrade it. If you're like me and prefer to save your gold, don't. [Maximum Level: 4]--Upgrade your giant bomb. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 9. (I think it's a little premature to max them out, but if you really want to and have extra time and resources, go ahead.) [Maximum Level: 10]
    --Upgrade your walls. I don't think this is entirely necessary at this point. Again, if you want to be a superstar, upgrade those walls. If you're thinking you'd rather upgrade your town hall or save the gold, that's okay as well. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 7!

TH 7

Items Available:

-- Town Hall
    -- Army Camp (x4)
    --Barracks (x4)
    --Dark Barracks
    --Laboratory
    --Spell Factory
    --Cannon (x5)
    -- Archer Tower (x4)
    -- Air Defense (x2)
    --Mortar (x3)
    --Wizard Tower (x2)
    -- Hidden Tesla (x2)
    --Bomb (x6)
    --Spring Trap (x4)
    --Air Bomb (x2)
    --Seeking Air Mine
    -- Giant Bomb (x2)
    --Wall (x175)
    --Gold Storage (x2)
    -- Elixir Storage (x2)
    --Dark Elixir Storage
    -- Gold Mine (x6)
    -- Elixir Collector (x6)
    --Dark Elixir Drill (x1)
    --Clan Castle

Hero unlocked! Barbarian King

Note: Before you start upgrading anything, you should buy the newly unlocked buildings and/or defenses. Make sure to build the dark elixir storage before the dark elixir drill, or, obviously, you won't be able to store your loot. I recommend holding off on buying the dark barracks until you've finished upgrading everything or until you've unlock the Barbarian King.
    As another side note, have upgrading walls be an ongoing project. When upgrading, leave one builder free so you can upgrade walls when you start to get a lot of gold. I recommend upgrading any "problem child" walls first (walls that are almost always broken down by attackers). You can also keep upgrading walls and also mines and collectors while you're waiting for your town hall to upgrade to TH 8.

--Upgrade the laboratory. Upgraded troops are the key to stronger attacks. [Maximum Level: 5]
    --Upgrade the spell factory. At spell factory level 3, you unlock the rage spell. It's pretty amazing. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your dark elixir drill to level 2. While the level 1 drill doesn't produce too much DE, the level 2 drill really picks up the pace. [Maximum Level: 3]
    -- Upgrade your barracks to level 9. You. Unlock. Dragons. Need I say more?
    [Maximum Level: 9]
    -- Upgrade your cannons. Cannons are relatively cheap to upgrade, and they'll help to take out some of those annoying enemy troops. [Maximum Level: 8]
    --Upgrade your gold and elixir storages. (As needed. You don't need to go straight to level 11 storages if you're not running out of space.) You want to be able to store all of your loot, right? [Maximum Level: 11]
    --Upgrade your mortars. The splash damage it inflicts on your enemies is key to defending your base. [Maximum Level: 5]
    --Upgrade your bombs. [Maximum Level: 4]
    --Upgrade your air bombs. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your wizard tower. Similar to the mortar, it deals splash damage and helps to form a strong defense. [Maximum Level: 4]
    -- Upgrade your archer towers. These are your main long-range defenses, and they are VERY helpful. [Maximum Level: 8]
    --Upgrade your army camp. This way you can have a bigger army. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your air defenses. If you don't want to upgrade your air defense at this point, that's okay, although you should have your air defenses at at least level 4. If you want to be a superstar, upgrade to level 5. [Maximum Level: 5]
    -- Upgrade your dark elixir drill to level 3. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your gold mines and elixir collectors to level 9. (I think it's a little premature to max them out, but if you really want to and have extra time and resources, go ahead.) [Maximum Level: 11]
    --Upgrade your hidden teslas. [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your dark elixir storage. This way you're all set to go for TH 8. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --If you have plenty of dark elixir, upgrade your Barbarian King to level 2. [Maximum Level: 2]
    --Upgrade the Dark Barracks to level 2.
    --Upgrade your walls. (If you want to max out with level 7 walls, go ahead. You're awesome and patient. If you don't feel like maxing completely out your walls, at least get them up to level 6.) [Maximum Level: 7]
    --Upgrade your town hall. Yahoo! You're onto TH 8! Nice job!

TH 8

Items Available:

–- Town Hall
    --Army Camp (x4)
    --Barracks (x4)
    --Dark Barracks (x2)
    --Laboratory
    --Spell Factory
    --Cannon (x5)
    -- Archer Tower (x5)
    -- Air Defense (x3)
    --Mortar (x4)
    --Wizard Tower (x3)
    --Hidden Tesla (x3)
    --Bomb (x6)
    --Spring Trap (x6)
    --Air Bomb (x4)
    --Seeking Air Mine (x2)
    -- Giant Bomb (x3)
    --Skeleton Trap (x2)
    --Wall (x225)
    --Gold Storage (x3)
    -- Elixir Storage (x3)
    --Dark Elixir Storage
    -- Gold Mine (x6)
    -- Elixir Collector (x6)
    --Dark Elixir Drill (x2)
    --Clan Castle

Note: As usual, before you actually start upgrading anything, make sure to buy any new items that you unlocked (ie fourth mortar, skeleton traps, etc.) However, (and I'm kind of going to contradict myself here), DON'T buy the third gold and elixir storages right away. I've found that you don't really need the extra storage right away, and putting walls around the new storages just takes away from the walls you can put around your defenses. Also, unless you use dark troops a lot, don't buy the second dark barracks right away. This can help to save you some elixir.
    For the DE storage, once your Barbarian King is above level 5, upgrade that storage.

--Upgrade the laboratory - you want stronger troops, right? [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your DE drills to level 3 if you haven't already done so - the more DE the merrier! [Maximum Level: 3]
    --Upgrade your cannons to level 9 - they really help out with point defense. [Maximum Level: 10]
    --Upgrade your archer towers to level 9 - they also help out with point defense and, once they are upgrade more, they can help out a bit during mass dragon attacks. [Maximum Level: 10]
    --Upgrade your mortars to level 6. The splash damage they deal will wipe out barch troops. [Maximum Level: 6]
    --Upgrade your wizard towers to level 5. Again, this helps take out barch troops, but it can also deal some damage against dragons. [Maximum Level: 6]

Okay, here's where TH 8 gets a little different from the earlier TH levels. Depending on whether you are a farmer, trophy pusher, or clan war kind of person, you're going to want to prioritze different items in your defense. This is where I'm going to be less specific and step-by-step and give you more of a general idea of what you might want to upgrade.

If you are a farmer who gets hit by barch:
    Prioritize upgrading your cannons and archer towers to level 10 and getting your wizard towers to level 6. Worry about traps, air defenses, and teslas later.

If you are a clan war person who gets hit by mass dragons:
    Prioritize upgrading your air defenses, then archer towers, wizard towers, teslas, and air bombs. Also, upgrade your skeleton traps and set them on air mode.

If you are a clan war person who gets hit by hogs:
    Prioritize upgrading your giant bombs, which do 1.5x damage to hogs. Also, upgrade your wizard towers, mortars, skeleton traps (put them on ground mode), and Barbarian King. Additionally, make sure to upgrade your clan castle early as cc troops are often deadly to hogs.

If you are a clan war person who gets hit by GoWiPe:
    Prioritize upgrading your teslas, which do 2x damage to P.E.K.K.As, cannons, and archer towers. These point defenses can do a lot of damage to the GoWiPe troops.

COMING UP NEXT:
    TH 9 List of Items

Need help with attack plans? Check out my guide:
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...th-Pictures%29

Clash on!
    Last edited by FlyAutumn; February 13th, 2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Updated to include added features

Can't decide what to upgrade? Check out my guide.
    Need help with attack plans? Check out my guide.
    My Slider Bar on Attack Replays Idea

Forum Veteran
    Nice guide!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybro1234 View Post
    There were too many words for me to read them all
    Quote Originally Posted by djdiamond66 View Post
    Hey guys please new collector is gem collector all clash of clans playing time is explended sorry its playing its my idea the gemcollector christmas update s guys please work update all clash of clans fans best ideas in he world best startegy game is the Clash of Clans thank you is game game is Perfect

Trainee
    Awesome thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenn View Post
    Nice guide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joynim View Post
    Awesome thanks!!
    Thanks! If there are any other guides you'd like me to make, let me know in the comments.

Great guide!!

I don't agree with most of it
    Jietoh - Noob level Clash Royal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jietoh View Post
    I don't agree with most of it
    Do you mind explaining why?

Sure... You are advocating to someone who is TH2, TH3, TH4 that they should prioritize their defense.

This is a complete waste of precious builder time when they should be prioritizing their offense and their storage and to a lesser extent their collectors.

I've started three accounts so far. My first one was similar to your advice because I didn't know any better. This is my main account and everything worked out fine in the long run but with the lessons learned on the first one, the second and third far more advanced after the first week.

On the second and third accounts, my TH was lvl 4 by the time my three day newbie shield was up and I hit the ground running with 90 camp space and barbs, archers and goblins. I filled all of my storage within an hour of my first raid and TH5 was started soon after.

You don't need defense at the extreme low levels because you can't store enough for it to matter. even if it gets stolen every night, it takes like 2 or three raids to replace what's stolen. Once you hit TH5 and your storage is getting up to 500k or 1 million, then its time to settle in and work your defense.

There's so much loot within easy grasp for a TH5 and below at the very low trophy counts from in active bases. What you or I would pass on as ♥♥♥♥ loot (20k each) is a treasure trove to someone who can only store 100k. So what if he loses 20% of that in a raid because he has no defense, he can just replace it almost instantly.

My advice would be:

TH1:
    1. collectors
    2. storage
    3. town hall

TH2:
    1. collectors
    2. storage
    3. camps
    4. town hall

TH3:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. collectors
    5. town hall

TH4:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. collectors
    5. town hall

TH5:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. mortar
    5. wiz tower
    6. cannons
    7. archer towers
    8. walls
    9. town hall

Sure... You are advocating to someone who is TH2, TH3, TH4 that they should prioritize their defense.

This is a complete waste of precious builder time when they should be prioritizing their offense and their storage and to a lesser extent their collectors.

I've started three accounts so far. My first one was similar to your advice because I didn't know any better. This is my main account and everything worked out fine in the long run but with the lessons learned on the first one, the second and third far more advanced after the first week.

On the second and third accounts, my TH was lvl 4 by the time my three day newbie shield was up and I hit the ground running with 90 camp space and barbs, archers and goblins. I filled all of my storage within an hour of my first raid and TH5 was started soon after.

You don't need defense at the extreme low levels because you can't store enough for it to matter. even if it gets stolen every night, it takes like 2 or three raids to replace what's stolen. Once you hit TH5 and your storage is getting up to 500k or 1 million, then its time to settle in and work your defense.

There's so much loot within easy grasp for a TH5 and below at the very low trophy counts from in active bases. What you or I would pass on as ♥♥♥♥ loot (20k each) is a treasure trove to someone who can only store 100k. So what if he loses 20% of that in a raid because he has no defense, he can just replace it almost instantly.
    My advice would be:

TH1:
    1. collectors
    2. storage
    3. town hall

TH2:
    1. collectors
    2. storage
    3. camps
    4. town hall

TH3:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. collectors
    5. town hall

TH4:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. collectors
    5. town hall

TH5:
    1. camps
    2. barracks
    3. storage
    4. mortar
    5. wiz tower
    6. cannons
    7. archer towers
    8. walls
    9. town hall

Alright. I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for commenting.