Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expansion items rant

Expansion items rant

If this needs to be merged with another thread, I understand. I just wanted to get this off my chest.

I'm sick and tired of my barn filling up (currently 1250) because I have such an imbalance of expansion tools. I have dozens of deeds, mallets and marker stakes right now, but only 4 map pieces. I have served nearly every visitor in my town recently and have picked up a whopping 2 map pieces in that time. I really wanted to believe the game wasn't being rigged so that I'd have to use diamonds to get what I need to expand, but the disappearance of map pieces is making me think that's the case.

I've been playing this game for over a year now and have yet to spend any real money on it. I have no intentions of caving in to their demands for cash but I really want to keep playing. It's terribly disappointing that the makers of such an incredible game have to be such money-mongers.
    Last edited by HayDayinHoosierState; August 19th, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
    GC: Hoosi3rFarm3r

I expanded all my land in the town without spending any diamonds, and without trading.

You might find it helps to get rid of the items you have extras of. The game gives you more of what you already have. Many people find they expand faster if they keep relatively even numbers of expansion items.

If you can't bring yourself to do that, maybe give your extra items to a friend or neighbor, and hope they repay the favor eventually. Or make use of the trading thread.

FWIW, map pieces were really scarce for me at first, but eventually I got a flood of them. Dunno if it's just random, or if you get more once your town buildings are expanded to a certain point.
    Level 215

Hi, I understand your frustration but there are options open to you that don't require spending money. If you still have locked land on the farm then why not spend your deeds etc there. Bringing a balance back may well generate some more map pieces for you.
    You could try the trading thread.
    You could give the town a break for a while until your barn recovers its equilibrium! Believe me, leaving the town has been a big relief for me and I have been able to enjoy my farm again.
    Others will explain the art of stacking to you as well!
    Good luck!
    Level 74- no longer seeking to level up - just helping with as many boats as I can and selling goodies in my RSS just for the fun of it.

Independent player. I never trade but love to help with boats etc. Not currently accepting friend requests - sorry.

I had difficulty with maps to start with, but once I had purchased and opened my beach cafe, they just flooded in. Now I sell them in my RSS all the time, because everyone in my neighbourhood is fully expanded and we no longer have any use for maps. Work on opening buildings rather than opening plots, and you should find the dynamics change.
    GladeMaid
    RSS Name - Glade's Auckland Farm: Level - 116: Achievements - 124/132 Masteries - 31/??. Barn/Silo - Never big enough! Bring back Game Centre Friend Requests!

Photo: Great Spotted Kiwi - Mark Jones, Auscape Intl

Maps come in cycles for me...my town will start spitting them out regularly, then it will stop for a few days, then spit them out for a couple of days, etc. In the last couple of days the town spit out probably around 10...hadn't had any for a week or so before that...it tends to cycle like that fairly regularly.

_________
    Donna / Level 125

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by GladeMaid View Post
    I had difficulty with maps to start with, but once I had purchased and opened my beach cafe, they just flooded in. Now I sell them in my RSS all the time, because everyone in my neighbourhood is fully expanded and we no longer have any use for maps. Work on opening buildings rather than opening plots, and you should find the dynamics change.
    I would have to agree with you on this one.

To OP: Also work on your personal train. If you are in a active neighborhood, ask for neighbors to give a shout when they have townies on deck. Use them because they only ask for one place to shop. That will help you increase the chance of what you are needing. Again, focus on the town building expansions, also speed up the turn around to service the townies in the building and your personal train to pick up people faster than your regular train.
    Last edited by Kaptivator; August 19th, 2014 at 09:44 PM.
    gc/kik: Kaptivator97
    Level: 58 ~ Daily Player & Honest Trader
    Will help when I can, if I can. RSS stocked most of the time!

Temporarily have PMs turned off...please message another forum mod for help. TY :)
    While maps were the hardest for me to find, I don't feel SC are money-mongers. You are not forced to buy items like you are in other games. Hay Day gives you two choices (versus just one): you can make a purchase or you can be patient. That's pretty cool, if you ask me.

The patience is hard to handle at times, I know. Your barn must really feel the load though. Mine was around the 2000s when I was seeking maps and had gobs of other LEMs and I felt the pressure just as much as my bursting barn. If you have extra tools, trade those for maps. I'm sure there are people more than willing to part with maps now that they have likely expanded all of their town land. I agree with Donna: maps surely came in waves for me too. I would go a few annoying days with zero maps then all of a sudden it would rain maps.

Just be patient, as you have been. Soon you will expand. I just finally expanded my last plot the other night. I had a great neighbor who sold me the rest I needed to do so. Maybe try hooking up with a friend on FB or GC who is done and wants to help ya out.
    Last edited by ilovehayday; August 19th, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

Lots of good advice here. I, too, started receiving maps after I'd expanded past a certain point, though I don't remember which point that was. Those first few weeks were something else and maps were as rare as hen's teeth, but not anymore. I didn't trade for them either, they just started coming with more and more frequency, and now that I'm fully expanded I sell them. Have patience. You WILL get more maps without being forced to buy any.
    Shea
    Level: 83 (how on earth did THAT happen?!); Town level 21; TT III; Captain III; BSH3; 107/108
    I play daily and help a lot and appreciate those lovelies who help me!

I have fully expanded, but it wasn't easy. Obviously the best way to get maps is to push as many visitors as you can handle through the town. The drop rate on maps is terrible (I think I got about 1 map for every 15-20 visitors served), and I understand you pain with having 20 hammers/markers/land deeds and 2 maps. You don't want to sell the hammers/markers/deeds because you need them with the maps to expand the town. It generally helps if you have someone else who plays the game that you can trust who will hold onto some items for you while you upgrade. It also helps to work together to expand. For instance, my friend would give me his maps and I would expand. Then, I would give him my maps so he could expand. We would both go back and forth until we were both fully expanded.

That being said, some weeks they will drop better. I think SC rotates the drop rates for various items each week. Currently, this week, I have seen much more building expansion items than map pieces. Also, much more bolts than planks/duct tape. If you begin to notice they are dropping more frequently, keep an eye out in the paper for them because they could be for sale as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1 View Post
    I have fully expanded, but it wasn't easy. Obviously the best way to get maps is to push as many visitors as you can handle through the town. The drop rate on maps is terrible (I think I got about 1 map for every 15-20 visitors served), and I understand you pain with having 20 hammers/markers/land deeds and 2 maps. You don't want to sell the hammers/markers/deeds because you need them with the maps to expand the town. It generally helps if you have someone else who plays the game that you can trust who will hold onto some items for you while you upgrade. It also helps to work together to expand. For instance, my friend would give me his maps and I would expand. Then, I would give him my maps so he could expand. We would both go back and forth until we were both fully expanded.

That being said, some weeks they will drop better. I think SC rotates the drop rates for various items each week. Currently, this week, I have seen much more building expansion items than map pieces. Also, much more bolts than planks/duct tape. If you begin to notice they are dropping more frequently, keep an eye out in the paper for them because they could be for sale as well.
    My daughter and I did (and still do) the exact same thing when expanding, regardless of what we're expanding at the moment. It does help to have a fellow player with whom one can go back and forth. It's not crucial, but it's helpful.

And that's interesting about the rotating drop rate. I never thought about it, but you're right - some weeks all it seems I ever get are duct tapes whereas some weeks I'll actually have more than one or two bolts drop on my farm. Those are nice weeks.
    Shea
    Level: 83 (how on earth did THAT happen?!); Town level 21; TT III; Captain III; BSH3; 107/108
    I play daily and help a lot and appreciate those lovelies who help me!