Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Changes to Hay Day's Newspaper Explained

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Exclamation Changes to Hay Day's Newspaper Explained

Hey Farmers,

This week we have been tuning, patching up and tweaking Hay Day’s newspaper, "Daily Dirt", which some of you may have noticed. While we did some tweaks which are not visible to the naked eye, the bigger fix was to patch up an exploit which enabled bots, in particular, to refresh the newspaper over and over again by changing the in-game language (+ possibly other techniques). One of the results of bots being able to abuse the exploit was that they roamed around buying all/any valuable items from roadside shops like crazy, which of course and understandably irritated players (a big thanks to all of you who reported this!).

By design the newspaper has an automatic refresh system, and it was never designed to be manually refreshed by changing for example the in-game language. This exploit just had to be closed to bring back balance and fairness to the game. Another unwanted result of this exploit was that the ads shown in the newspaper were skewed for everyone.

Now the newspaper works for everyone as it was designed, and no one can abuse the system anymore.

We are dedicated to improve the newspaper and when we have something new to announce, you’ll hear it first! In addition to improving the newspaper (and working on the next big update) we are also looking into more ways to countermeasure those pesky bots.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope it all makes (at least a bit) more sense now.

Cheers,

Nick
    Nick / Supercell
    Community Manager
    Like Hay Day on Facebook: http://facebook.com/HayDayOfficial
    Follow Hay Day on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HayDay
    Follow Hay Day on Instagram: http://instagram.com/HayDay
    Subscribe to Hay Day YouTube: http://youtube.com/HayDay

Thanks for sharing.

Are you able to monitor bot activity before/after the patch? Are you able to identify and ban bot too?

PS: I love the fix, thank you for making the game fairer.
    Last edited by meonhoc; August 14th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
    Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game and your language.

All the great ones were a student once. Learning is quicker with better guiding. Report abuse/spam on forum.

#ChickenHider :: Hay Day Lv 133♩♬ :: Defenseless TH10 :: Rushed TH12

Trainee

How About Adding More Pages to the DD Then?

Since thousands of us are searching for the same few items on the same few pages of newspaper, how about increasing the number of pages to give us all a fighting chance to find something we need. Yes, I know there are different versions of the DD in any one language, but it's still too small.

The best thing you could do would be to identify the bots and shut them down. Most of us can identify a lot of them but can do nothing about them. Now that would be the fair thing to do if you really are interested in being fair. Other parts of the game are not fair, and yet you remove the one thing that gives us all a chance to find what we need!
    Ann (GC: r1verrat939)
    Hay Day Level 108

A translation

Here's the message regarding the newspaper translated into English:

We (Supercell) received several billion dollars from a bank for a big chunk of equity in our games. Our equity partners are not happy that so many people play our games for hours every day without spending any cash. We have tried over the last year to make it more difficult to progress in the game without spending cash, but the vast majority of our players continued to have hours of fun every day without contributing any hard currency to show our new partners that they had made a wise investment. So we decided to fix this problem once and for all by making it nearly impossible to continue to build their farms without paying for diamonds to acquire materials. We really don't care if thousands of players drop out; they weren't paying us anyway. Yes, we're aware that Hay Day has been dropping down the free Ap popularity charts. We don't care. We need money. Pay us or go away. Thank you.

I am not a bot!

While searching for rare items I used to change the in-game language, thus I could receive new issues of the DD more frequently. I was not aware of bots that could do the same!
    Now it will be more annoying to find bolts and planks.

The newspaper refresh rate or number of pages should be definitely improved soon, otherwise experienced players who need a lot of barn / silo tools will definitely lose their enthusiasm for HayDay...

Personally, I am glad that we are now back to a level playing field. It got to the point where every time I clicked on an ad the items were either already sold or disappearing before my eyes at the speed of light. The reason has become clear.
    Those of us who simply want to enjoy the game and play it straight (probably the majority) were being unfairly disadvantaged by this exploit.
    So, I would ask that you stop throwing your toys out of the pram and settle down.
    As Nick says, its now fairer for all.
    Level 74- no longer seeking to level up - just helping with as many boats as I can and selling goodies in my RSS just for the fun of it.

Independent player. I never trade but love to help with boats etc. Not currently accepting friend requests - sorry.

how can you tell if someone it a bot?

If we suspect someone are we supposed to report it?

As a player that never used the "change language" bug (Did not know it existed) i am pleased with the fact that now everyone has an equal opportunity to find the good stuff that is advertised.

I am amazed by how many people complain that a "♥♥♥♥♥" they had been using, is now not possible anymore.

On a sidenote...What happened to the "bugs & problems" sub-forum ?

Instead of fixing anything, you are meerly increasing the use of trading off the cuff - which you also happen to condone. Being, now 100x more difficult to find a plank, people are going to turn to trading players for other items. Yet, Supercell doesn't want players to trade - they want them to use the DD to sell their items/obtain items.

This is not going to happen - these items have now just become so rare that underground trading of them will be the way to obtain them. So now, where I used to be able to find a plank, I no longer will. At least, I have yet to find the plank I need to upgrade my barn for the last 48 hours.

As for bots, this won't help. Remember, the ♥♥♥♥ers/bots always win because they are more motivated. Creating a new farm on Hay Day is quite simple - new GC ID. I forget if you are required to link FB as well, but that's easy too. Those that run the bots, will create multiple farms and run the same exploits using multiple accounts instead of one. They will time their bots to check the newspaper every 2 minutes and 10 seconds to search. Each device running this bot program will do this. They will still get what they want. Inevitably, you made the condition worse. Because, the bot user who was previously running 1 bot, is now running 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 of them. So, before when I was competing with 1 bot, I am now competing with as many as they can get running.

Don't make human players suffer, you will lose valuable players while the bots still get what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1 View Post
    Instead of fixing anything, you are meerly increasing the use of trading off the cuff - which you also happen to condone. Being, now 100x more difficult to find a plank, people are going to turn to trading players for other items. Yet, Supercell doesn't want players to trade - they want them to use the DD to sell their items/obtain items.

This is not going to happen - these items have now just become so rare that underground trading of them will be the way to obtain them. So now, where I used to be able to find a plank, I no longer will. At least, I have yet to find the plank I need to upgrade my barn for the last 48 hours.

As for bots, this won't help. Remember, the ♥♥♥♥ers/bots always win because they are more motivated. Creating a new farm on Hay Day is quite simple - new GC ID. I forget if you are required to link FB as well, but that's easy too. Those that run the bots, will create multiple farms and run the same exploits using multiple accounts instead of one. They will time their bots to check the newspaper every 2 minutes and 10 seconds to search. Each device running this bot program will do this. They will still get what they want. Inevitably, you made the condition worse. Because, the bot user who was previously running 1 bot, is now running 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 of them. So, before when I was competing with 1 bot, I am now competing with as many as they can get running.

Don't make human players suffer, you will lose valuable players while the bots still get what they want.
    They said they will monitor the situation, so let's see if your prediction is correct . Valuable players are most likely the ones who pay (the more you pay, the more valuable of a customer you are) , and those players are most likely not affected by these changes at all.