Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Etiquette

Neighborhood Etiquette

Hi everyone,

In this thread we can discuss our thoughts on neighbourhood etiquette and how to pick the right nh for ourselves and act properly whilst we are participating in one.

Any ideas are welcome! Let me start with mine:

-

1. Choosing the right Neighbourhood / Listing what is expected in a NH

Before you join a NH, please check on the forum or any other social media platform about the terms of that specific NH. Does that NH appeal to you? Are you chatty? Willing to do trades only? Just want to pick town visitors? There are NH's out there of every kind each of them having their unique expectations and offers. Join a NH which clearly specifies a list of their expectations from members to avoid disappointment and drama. NH leaders, when you are posting an AD for your neighbourhood, clearly explaining what you expect from future members is the key point. Merely stating you have just started a neighborhood and new members are welcome will not be getting you anywhere. Are you active every day and willing to have daily players? Is it okay to ask for BEM's or SEM's? Would you like chatty and fun people? Is it a NH only for picking townies and chatting is strictly prohibited? It is your job to clarify how things will be established in a NH. I would personally not join any NH that doesn't disclose such rules. Remember that not having any rules at all is also a rule by itself.

2. NH chat and Seeking Help from Others

I am part of a NH where we follow the work hard play hard rule. We are a group of ppl who are friends over Facebook as well and there are couples, mother & child etc. amongst us. So chatting and humor is welcome. We respect less chatty members as well. Some NH's may consist of complete strangers who do not share your sense of humor. Don't be pushy. In my previous NH there was a guy who thought making fun of pretty much anything you say is funny, which was indeed not. Respect others' personal space and do not bring your real life drama into the group. Some people are shy, some people just don't want to bother with your real life stuff. Saying hi doesn't hurt whereas loads of chat dialogue simply hides away the actual trade offers and it's hard to check some 99+ messages. "Hi guys, anybody needs anything?" is a nice start whereas "Plssss i need mallets plz anyone " is pushing the edge. Watch your punctuation and don't mooch too much. Most NH's does not afford people who mooch too much and offer much less than what they ask for. Be patient, people may be checking their stock before they get to reply to you. Saying thank you when someone helps you is a plus. As you offer more help, ppl will be more willing to help you back. Offering help before asking for stuff is a very nice gesture if you are new and will help you build a good relationship with your nh friends. I would raise and eyebrow to anyone who'd introduce themselves as "Hi anyone has bolts?"

3. Leaving the NH
    Some NH's are trading NH's and it is okay to join in and leave as you like. Trading etiquette is a completely different topic and farmers have brought it up to today by months of practice. In a steady nh, leaving without giving notice is not welcome. You shall tell the leader, coleader or the members before you leave, make your honest explanation and you will be more than welcome in the future. We all have a life going on outside the game and we might get busy, have a vacation etc.. There was a member who kept leaving and coming back to our NH as she likes. We are a bee hive type of NH where we don't trade but do our best for each other and share instead of trading. How can I trust this person and make sure she doesn't bring the items she asks for into some other NH for trading purpose? If you lack communication before you leave you will most probably not be welcome into the same NH again.

4. Seeking Help from Others

When you receive help from a friend in the NH, (Boat help or receiving a premium item on RSS) kindly thank them and ask them if they need anything. Even if you cannot help them, honestly declaring it is impossible due to your lack of stock is a polite way of explaining yourself. I don't mind helping low level members even if they cannot get me the candy machine good i am looking for, because I know another member had helped me when I was a newbie and now it's my turn to support young farmers. It is all about community spirit. When asking for BEM's, SEM's and land expansion materials, specify your current progress in your barn, land, silo etc. A good example would be "I have 16/24 bolts and looking for eight to upgrade. If anyone has spare bolts I would gladly accept them." Don't ever, ever complain about someone selling at max price. They are offering you their rare items or premium goods and complaining is the last thing you should be doing. If you can't afford the price you should tell that before you get help from your nh friend. If you are the one selling and you wish to sell at max price, kindly ask if it is okay to do that since the neighbour might not have enough coins. The more you communicate with each chance will be less that you might end up in a dispute. Begging for coins, mooching for discount etc is a must not, and you could be booted from many neighbourhoods for such actions. Giving as much as you take is the key.
    Last edited by MadeleineAkaino; July 25th, 2014 at 10:32 AM.

Another thing I would like to mention is turning on "request to join" tag to avoid scammers ruining an ongoing trade. I think "anyone can join" type if nh's are more vulnerable to such unfortunate occasions. Posting AD of the NH on this forum or some other social platform will help and as long as you list your expectations clearly people will join eventually.
    GC: Madeleine Akaino KIK: madeleineakaino
    Farm Level 107 & Town Level 34, NH: Its Jennys Hood

Thank You!

Hi Madeleine,

I just wanted to compliment you on the excellent etiquette list you put together. I'm going to suggest to the members of our NH that they come by and read your post. That's not to imply that we have any problematic members in our NH; on the contrary, they're really a very nice group to play with. Still, I think there's something here that each of us can learn from.

I've been thinking of starting a thread for NH leaders - a place where we could share ideas, offer suggestions and discuss various issues that arise in Hay Day neighborhoods. After reading how well you put this thread together, I'm thinking perhaps you should be the one to do that! lol

Thanks again - and thank you, as well, for being a good GC friend. It's a pleasure having you on my list. ��

Happy farming!
    Debbi

GC: DebbiDe
    NH: DJ's Place
    Last edited by DebbiDe; July 24th, 2014 at 04:41 PM.

Thank you DebbiDe! And you are a very good GC friend too! And I get my discount wool & eggs from good friends when I need them you know that

I am not a leader, not even a coleader but I am an opinionated person, I know ppl are bit fed up with etiquette topics yet a nh is a digital community where social etiquette and rules need to be turned on just as much as a real life social environment.

Banned

Good Work

Great job with this post. I can't think of anything to add, but wanted to express my agreement with what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    Great job with this post. I can't think of anything to add, but wanted to express my agreement with what you have to say.
    Thank you very much! Some GC friends from respected NH's have showed their enthusiasm after I brought up the subject though I was a bit skeptical about posting it since etiquette has been a subject of debate for months. The new members we accepted today have also stated they were impressed by this thread before applying to join our hood.

Please share your ideas as well and give examples from your NH!

The only thing i would add...

As a leader i have had to kick out players who have not played in over a month. I have to monitor their farms and consult with my coleader whether anyone has seen them, how long ago,and if its time to kick them out.
    I express when i get new members to let me or my coleader or someone else in the nh, when they are going to be gone a long period of time. It still happens.
    Rule of etiquette : if you don't want to play anymore leave the nieghborhood. If you are going on vacation let the nh know.

I really dislike kicking people out, mostly i dislike having to figure out if they have stopped playing...
    Active,avid player. Level 110 and climbing. Leader of All Seasons Island . When we have openings we want daily players who like to chat and help others succeed.
    gc: 🌾Robin's Nest🐣

Quote Originally Posted by Robinecklund View Post
    As a leader i have had to kick out players who have not played in over a month. I have to monitor their farms and consult with my coleader whether anyone has seen them, how long ago,and if its time to kick them out.
    I express when i get new members to let me or my coleader or someone else in the nh, when they are going to be gone a long period of time. It still happens.
    Rule of etiquette : if you don't want to play anymore leave the nieghborhood. If you are going on vacation let the nh know.

I really dislike kicking people out, mostly i dislike having to figure out if they have stopped playing...
    Exactly. I believe there is nothing you can't solve by proper communication. There had been members in our hood who gracefully decided to give chance to new members because they knew they got busier and wouldn't be able to check the game every day. Or, especially during these summer days people go to vacation, I think if it doesn't take that much effort to give notice for someone who can flag a couple of crates.

We also don't like booting people but there is this one rule: Be active, polite, mature and give as much as you take.

A young farmer doesn't necessarily need to feel intimidated by my level, worrying they cannot help me back as much as i help them, since they can search for rare expansion items on DD or sell me the pumpkin pie or butter popcorn that i am no longer willing to prepare by myself.

Sometimes people get pretty upset when they get booted. I mean come on... You stay in our hood for two weeks, offer no help, don't care when somebody needs urgent help, not even say you don't have enough stock. Then all of a sudden these people start talking bombarding us with messages! I mean if you don't really care about a community and remain completely invisible during your presence why are you willing to come back?

Centennial Club
    Hi
    Thanks for this great thread.really appreciate

so sad that to do pont 1 is so difficult. most nh recruirement thread here is simmilar each other.they dont tell clearly how their nh are. just look for member

what the best way to find nh?thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adsuperjenius View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for this great thread.really appreciate

so sad that to do pont 1 is so difficult. most nh recruirement thread here is simmilar each other.they dont tell clearly how their nh are. just look for member

what the best way to find nh?thanks.
    We are currently recruiting after long interviews via kik or pm, even some of these recruits might not be a good fit. If someone's letting you to join in right away then they are not that picky about their members and people leaving right away / not contributing might upset existing members too.
    (It doesn't mean that we think too highly of ourselves It's just that every player has different expectations and if we cannot meet such expectations its better to cut ties off from the beginning)

We recruit people who start a thread on the "looking for a nh" section who "clearly" state what they are looking for. I don't reply to ppl who are just "looking for a nh"
    I reply to some candidates but if i see they don't fit into our hood i don't pursue them anymore. Sometimes i invite in trade partners with a good personality, but they might not do well or be interactive in a hood so that might be risky too.

You can ask questions. A good recruiter will listen to your concerns.

We don't have our own thread as we don't want just any person to stumble upon our hood. We are also invite only.