Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Etiquette

Yeah I think it would be nice if we could have a "turn of notifications" option for our hoods. But may be an advanced one so you could tick out options separately. It wouldn't be so nice when a member joins in and go unnoticed

Well i would say, your hood your rules. If you want to keep the hood active don't hesitate to kick out inactive folks. It is not the end of everything, ppl lose interest in things and may be when they come back later they are more than welcome. You cannot keep the hood active with ppl going inactive and occupying spots so your members need to understand that in order to get instant help you need active members in a nh. Its also good to have at least forum id's or kik contacts of your hoodies you could talk to them in advance and kindly tell them about your decision and they are welcome back if they become interested in the game again.
    Last edited by MadeleineAkaino; February 25th, 2015 at 10:52 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arflain View Post
    Thanks so much for the great list!
    I am the leader of my neighborhood and have a few members who just ask for things. One has asked for things, which I have gladly sold her, but she never says thank you. One time I just put "you're welcome" in the reply and only then did I get a thank you. Two days ago she evidently got upset with us and left, it is fine with me.

I do do have a question for others who are leaders. I demoted a person who has evidently quit playing completely. One member of my NH wanted to know why I demoted her, she didn't think it was fair. I explained why and I guess she was ok with the answer. How would others have handled it?

I also have a suggestion for Hay Day. If someone is promoted, demoted, or booted out of the neighborhood, please do not make it public to other members of the neighborhood. It would be nice for it to be a private matter between the leader and that particular member.

Thank you,

Ardith
    NH: Estate of Confusion
    Re.. demoted person and another asking why. I would have told the unaffected person it was not something they needed to concern themself with.

Quote Originally Posted by haydayforum View Post
    Re.. demoted person and another asking why. I would have told the unaffected person it was not something they needed to concern themself with.
    Maybe they wish to be promoted and wanted to know what transpired so as to not do the same thing in the event they are promoted.
    Last edited by ilovehayday; February 27th, 2015 at 07:16 PM.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbul View Post
    This thread has reminded me how absolutely amazing my warm and friendly neighborhood is!
    Absolutly second that!! Spreadsheet? We communicate in our nh. And chat. And share. And complain. And laugh. Helping each other is what its all about. Not levels, xp or who did what for whom. Have fun. Its a game, not a job.

Farm level: 237 Silo 11,700 and always full, no really it is full!
    Start date: 01/09/2013
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by Besta are Bestas opinions, ideas and concerns.
    “I think I have a new favorite notification from HayDay: “The scarecrow made me do it”. Quote accredited to dtx275

Millennial Club
    I do do have a question for others who are leaders. I demoted a person who has evidently quit playing completely. One member of my NH wanted to know why I demoted her, she didn't think it was fair. I explained why and I guess she was ok with the answer. How would others have handled it?
    When a member isn't playing much any more I evict them in order to bring in somebody else. I don't know how you measure "quit playing completely", as that is hard to tell. But I do actually take notes about people's levels, so that I can if there is activity (you know their level, when the got to that level, the number of XP in a level, so can estimate how long until the next level). But I don't wait for "quit playing completely". A neighborhood full of people who play just a little bit is (IMO) basically dead. So slow people that we don't see much get evicted so that we can bring in active people.

When one of my elders isn't playing much any more I demote them. At that point they are just a normal member, and get treated as above. Basically all this means is that elders get a little bit of extra time before being evicted.

I also have a suggestion for Hay Day. If someone is promoted, demoted, or booted out of the neighborhood, please do not make it public to other members of the neighborhood. It would be nice for it to be a private matter between the leader and that particular member.
    I think what you are asking for is that the chat not show the red message that somebody got demoted. I do not agree with this at all.

A players status (Member/Elder/Co-Leader/Leader) is public information: it's in the roster shows in the neighborhood house, and is available for all the world to see, not just your own neighbors. So hiding it from the chat doesn't hide it. If you don't feel like you can explain a demotion/eviction then why did you demote/evict? If you have a legitimate reason for your action then explaining it on the chat when questioned just helps communicate your expectations. Hiding demotions/evictions from the chat doesn't get you off the hook for having a good reason.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestajunior View Post
    Absolutly second that!! Spreadsheet? We communicate in our nh. And chat. And share. And complain. And laugh. Helping each other is what its all about. Not levels, xp or who did what for whom. Have fun. Its a game, not a job.
    Since I'm the one that described using a spreadsheet, I'm very curious what people see wrong with that?

We communicate a lot. Keeping notes of people's levels allows me to know when somebody is playing but just at different hours than me: we keep an active neighborhood, actively purge people who have stopped playing, but I want to make sure that I'm not evicting people who play at different hours. So I keep notes about people's levels, so that I can see if they stop leveling up. Is that the problem?

Using a spreadsheet is trivial for me because I'm technically inclined and it helps me stay organized, no different than notes on a napkin for less technically inclined. The spreadsheet has automated the arithmetic because with 30-years of software engineering experience that kind of thing is trivial to me, and not doing so would be dumb.

I'm curious to know how spending time to ensure that I'm doing right by my neighbors implies that we don't talk. I know the ages of my co-leaders's kids, know the youngest has been sick for the past week, but as of this morning is doing much better.

But perhaps I've merely explained things poorly.

Thank you,

Ardith
    NH: Estate of Confusion
    I think you handled it very well. Since the reason for the demotion was neutral and nothing sensitive, I can't see anything wrong with explaining it to her.

People are curious, or they might be anxious about their place in the NH. If they see changes and they don't understand the reasons behind them, it can be unsettling. When I'm in any sort of group, I appreciate leaders who share information and explain what's going on.

If you'd dismissed her question, it would probably still be on her mind, and who knows how those little doubts accumulate and play out down the road ... You did well to reassure her.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    Since I'm the one that described using a spreadsheet, I'm very curious what people see wrong with that?
    I think it's great. Taking the trouble to do that shows you're conscientious about managing your NH. Even if running spreadsheets are pretty easy for you, it's a nice control against human error (incorrect observations, maybe the player in question plays when most of the NH is offline). If you have a full NH, it's not so simple to keep track.

If I had to guess people's mixed reaction to your spreadsheet, it might be an automatic aversion to anything they identify as "mathematics" or "numbers." I don't think it's personal, because I've seen it come up quite a few times in the forums. Someone crunches some figures and a few of the responses encourage the number-cruncher to stop what they're doing and "have fun." Or " you think too much" <- that's another popular one.
    Last edited by LetTheMusicPlay; March 1st, 2015 at 02:17 AM.
    farm 142 ~ town 41 ~ hay day friend book [ closed ]

of chill reputations - a different kind of Hay Day neighborhood
    now under the warm and deft leadership of Bont1ng.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    I keep a spreadsheet on google sheets, which I'll describe below. It's got GC names in it so I'm not going to share a link here. Maybe when I have free time I could make a copy, anonymize it, and then share that copy out.
    When you have free time do you mind sharing the spreadsheet copy out? I am interested, but I am a visual person, learn by seeing/watching. And I believe there are other peole like me whom when they see it, then they understand. You have explained it in words, but it's still confusing until I see it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gazzanga; March 1st, 2015 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LetTheMusicPlay View Post
    If I had to guess people's mixed reaction to your spreadsheet, it might be an automatic aversion to anything they identify as "mathematics" or "numbers." I don't think it's personal, because I've seen it come up quite a few times in the forums. Someone crunches some figures and a few of the responses encourage the number-cruncher to stop what they're doing and "have fun." Or " you think too much" <- that's another popular one.
    Honestly, for me, it does seem like too much. I completely understand wanting to ensure you only have active members in your neighbourhood, but I wouldn't want anyone keeping "tabs" on me and my gameplay, so to speak. Seems too uptight. I like a more relaxed and fun environment and to me, that doesn't involve tracking 'hood members in such an iron-fisted/meticulous manner.

Edit: Please note, I'm not trying to insult anyone or their leadership style, just trying to clarify the whole "have fun, it's just a game!" thing. :-)
    Last edited by jazmella; March 1st, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazmella View Post
    Honestly, for me, it does seem like too much. I completely understand wanting to ensure you only have active members in your neighbourhood, but I wouldn't want anyone keeping "tabs" on me and my gameplay, so to speak. Seems too uptight. I like a more relaxed and fun environment and to me, that doesn't involve tracking 'hood members in such an iron-fisted/meticulous manner.

Edit: Please note, I'm not trying to insult anyone or their leadership style, just trying to clarify the whole "have fun, it's just a game!" thing. :-)
    That's a really good point. It is unsettling to feel like we're being observed or monitored.

But however inactivity is managed - from asking members if they've seen X-player around or taking notes or making spreadsheets - every NH has to monitor activity levels if they want the NH to thrive. It might take the shape of something that feels "friendlier" like asking if anyone's seen so-and-so around, but that too requires NH leaders/members to make observations about one another and store that info in their brain - if not on a spreadsheet.

And doing it just by random observation can lead to error. If you're in a NH that doesn't require chat, then a member could be playing their heart out but might be missed and kicked out unfairly (by the NH's own standards and rules). Using objective data like XP levels is an interesting way to check for that.

I started a NH, and I don't keep spreadsheets on players because I'm too lazy to do it. But if organizing info in tables is pleasant and easy for a NH leader, why not? And I have to give them props for making that effort.
    Last edited by LetTheMusicPlay; March 1st, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
    farm 142 ~ town 41 ~ hay day friend book [ closed ]

of chill reputations - a different kind of Hay Day neighborhood
    now under the warm and deft leadership of Bont1ng.