Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Etiquette

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinecklund View Post
    I really dislike kicking people out, mostly i dislike having to figure out if they have stopped playing...
    I used to worry about evicting people who I thought had stopped playing, when they hadn't. But now a solved problem...

I keep a spreadsheet on google sheets, which I'll describe below. It's got GC names in it so I'm not going to share a link here. Maybe when I have free time I could make a copy, anonymize it, and then share that copy out.

Part of my normal breakfast routine is to log every neighbor's levels. On one sheet I just add 30 rows (one per person), with name/date/level. This sheet in the spreadsheet grows by 30 rows per day. It's easy work: I start with copying the previous day's entries, then update the dates (copy/paste), then change a handful of entries for those who have leveled up, leaving unleveled entries the same.

The main sheet on the spreadsheet has more smarts, and plenty of automation so that I do not have to manually do the steps required:

* one row per neighbor
    * auto-filled with current-level
    * auto-filled with date they hit that level
    * auto-filled with date they hit the previous level
    * auto-filled with amount of time they were in the previous level (different of the previous two bullets)
    * auto-filled with XP-per-day (XP for the level is known, previous bullet was how many days in level)
    * auto-filled with prediction of when they will next level up (based on XP in current level, computed XP-per-day, added to date they entered the level).
    * formatting rule for the previous item so that anybody past their predicted leveling date shows in yellow

This makes it easy to sort neighbors by XP-per-day, so I can see who plays more than others. And if somebody is significantly beyond their predicted next-level date, then I can start asking around to see if anybody has seen them.

We don't penalize/evict for people who just don't play much. I typically average 60,000XP/day, we have a couple at the other end who are more like 6,000/day. They show up and contribute, some of them daily. So the main value isn't to compare people to each other, but to compare people to their own history.

I also share this out to my two co-leaders. Elders don't see it, but they have a vague idea that such a thing exists because sometimes it gets mention in a conversation.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinecklund View Post
    I really dislike kicking people out, mostly i dislike having to figure out if they have stopped playing...
    Different response for a different train of thought...

I don't like evicting people. But I think leaders need to remember that it is necessary for keeping a good neighborhood. Remember: there is an opportunity cost to keeping people who either are not playing any more, or who are exhibiting bad behavior.

People with bad behavior are going to cause your good neighbors to not want to play. Or, better, any good neighbors with any sense of initiative will just find a different neighborhood. Get the bad ones out, do it fast. I don't mean be a jerk: I first tell people what they are doing that I don't like, then tell them what I would like for them to do instead. But if they don't comply then evict them.

People who aren't contributing are making your neighborhood slow and less fun. Which is a turn-off to those who do contribute. This one is harder, because you'll need to decide what "contribute" means to you and your neighborhood. There is no right/wrong answer here: there are many completely different valid ways to play. Just be be clear about what your expectations are. Then evict people who don't meet it.

If you expect active players and somebody is no longer active enough, then instead of stressing over it, consider how much your other neighbors will benefit from you bringing a new and active player into the neighborhood.

Lastly: evicting people isn't like firing somebody from their job in the real world. It doesn't impact whether they can feed their families. There are many thousands of "Anyone can join" neighborhoods that they can step right into. So don't stress over it.

Having said all that, I don't enjoy it, and everything I wrote above is what I have to keep reminding myself of :-)

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    Different response for a different train of thought...

I don't like evicting people. But I think leaders need to remember that it is necessary for keeping a good neighborhood. Remember: there is an opportunity cost to keeping people who either are not playing any more, or who are exhibiting bad behavior.

People with bad behavior are going to cause your good neighbors to not want to play. Or, better, any good neighbors with any sense of initiative will just find a different neighborhood. Get the bad ones out, do it fast. I don't mean be a jerk: I first tell people what they are doing that I don't like, then tell them what I would like for them to do instead. But if they don't comply then evict them.

People who aren't contributing are making your neighborhood slow and less fun. Which is a turn-off to those who do contribute. This one is harder, because you'll need to decide what "contribute" means to you and your neighborhood. There is no right/wrong answer here: there are many completely different valid ways to play. Just be be clear about what your expectations are. Then evict people who don't meet it.

If you expect active players and somebody is no longer active enough, then instead of stressing over it, consider how much your other neighbors will benefit from you bringing a new and active player into the neighborhood.

Lastly: evicting people isn't like firing somebody from their job in the real world. It doesn't impact whether they can feed their families. There are many thousands of "Anyone can join" neighborhoods that they can step right into. So don't stress over it.

Having said all that, I don't enjoy it, and everything I wrote above is what I have to keep reminding myself of :-)
    Totally agree... If you want to keep your hood active then you need to boot the inactive ones. When someone joins I mention to notify me if they plan on leaving for an extended amount of time that way i won't have to boot them.

Mind you there will be those players that think you are being mean but it truly isn't personal. In order to keep an active hood you need to eliminate either the inactive players or players that might be causing trouble. Otherwise your active happy neighborhood won't be so active anymore. People need to understand that its necessary for keeping an active neighborhood.

That being said I really dislike booting people as well but still will do it.
    Level 164 Leader of Red Elite
    Clan Tag: #22PLQU9C
    http://www.elite-nation.net
    IGN: Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by MadeleineAkaino View Post
    Hi everyone,

In this thread we can discuss our thoughts on neighbourhood etiquette and how to pick the right nh for ourselves and act properly whilst we are participating in one.

Any ideas are welcome! Let me start with mine:

-

1. Choosing the right Neighbourhood / Listing what is expected in a NH

Before you join a NH, please check on the forum or any other social media platform about the terms of that specific NH. Does that NH appeal to you? Are you chatty? Willing to do trades only? Just want to pick town visitors? There are NH's out there of every kind each of them having their unique expectations and offers. Join a NH which clearly specifies a list of their expectations from members to avoid disappointment and drama. NH leaders, when you are posting an AD for your neighbourhood, clearly explaining what you expect from future members is the key point. Merely stating you have just started a neighborhood and new members are welcome will not be getting you anywhere. Are you active every day and willing to have daily players? Is it okay to ask for BEM's or SEM's? Would you like chatty and fun people? Is it a NH only for picking townies and chatting is strictly prohibited? It is your job to clarify how things will be established in a NH. I would personally not join any NH that doesn't disclose such rules. Remember that not having any rules at all is also a rule by itself.

2. NH chat and Seeking Help from Others

I am part of a NH where we follow the work hard play hard rule. We are a group of ppl who are friends over Facebook as well and there are couples, mother & child etc. amongst us. So chatting and humor is welcome. We respect less chatty members as well. Some NH's may consist of complete strangers who do not share your sense of humor. Don't be pushy. In my previous NH there was a guy who thought making fun of pretty much anything you say is funny, which was indeed not. Respect others' personal space and do not bring your real life drama into the group. Some people are shy, some people just don't want to bother with your real life stuff. Saying hi doesn't hurt whereas loads of chat dialogue simply hides away the actual trade offers and it's hard to check some 99+ messages. "Hi guys, anybody needs anything?" is a nice start whereas "Plssss i need mallets plz anyone " is pushing the edge. Watch your punctuation and don't mooch too much. Most NH's does not afford people who mooch too much and offer much less than what they ask for. Be patient, people may be checking their stock before they get to reply to you. Saying thank you when someone helps you is a plus. As you offer more help, ppl will be more willing to help you back. Offering help before asking for stuff is a very nice gesture if you are new and will help you build a good relationship with your nh friends. I would raise and eyebrow to anyone who'd introduce themselves as "Hi anyone has bolts?"

3. Leaving the NH
    Some NH's are trading NH's and it is okay to join in and leave as you like. Trading etiquette is a completely different topic and farmers have brought it up to today by months of practice. In a steady nh, leaving without giving notice is not welcome. You shall tell the leader, coleader or the members before you leave, make your honest explanation and you will be more than welcome in the future. We all have a life going on outside the game and we might get busy, have a vacation etc.. There was a member who kept leaving and coming back to our NH as she likes. We are a bee hive type of NH where we don't trade but do our best for each other and share instead of trading. How can I trust this person and make sure she doesn't bring the items she asks for into some other NH for trading purpose? If you lack communication before you leave you will most probably not be welcome into the same NH again.

4. Seeking Help from Others

When you receive help from a friend in the NH, (Boat help or receiving a premium item on RSS) kindly thank them and ask them if they need anything. Even if you cannot help them, honestly declaring it is impossible due to your lack of stock is a polite way of explaining yourself. I don't mind helping low level members even if they cannot get me the candy machine good i am looking for, because I know another member had helped me when I was a newbie and now it's my turn to support young farmers. It is all about community spirit. When asking for BEM's, SEM's and land expansion materials, specify your current progress in your barn, land, silo etc. A good example would be "I have 16/24 bolts and looking for eight to upgrade. If anyone has spare bolts I would gladly accept them." Don't ever, ever complain about someone selling at max price. They are offering you their rare items or premium goods and complaining is the last thing you should be doing. If you can't afford the price you should tell that before you get help from your nh friend. If you are the one selling and you wish to sell at max price, kindly ask if it is okay to do that since the neighbour might not have enough coins. The more you communicate with each chance will be less that you might end up in a dispute. Begging for coins, mooching for discount etc is a must not, and you could be booted from many neighbourhoods for such actions. Giving as much as you take is the key.
    Also btw one of my favorite posts
    Level 164 Leader of Red Elite
    Clan Tag: #22PLQU9C
    http://www.elite-nation.net
    IGN: Jenny

great job

Great job with this post. I wanted to express my agreement with what you have to say.

This thread has reminded me how absolutely amazing my warm and friendly neighborhood is!
    Grumbul lvl 124

Excellent list!

Thank you for the list. It sums up pretty much everything we need to know, thank you so much! Hope all who are looking to join a hood will read this first because it is easy to get annoyed at people who don't follow nh etiquette!
    GC: Phoenix EverRising
    Kik: K.W.X add me if you want to talk!
    Farm name: Phoenix
    send me a message if you want to drop by your neighbourhood for a sale!

So many very good points made by all who contributed to this thread.

Been there, done all of this with my neighborhood. Having great co-leaders is essential, especially when the nh grows into the 20+ membership.

I have a detailed conversation with every new member before or shortly after entering the nh, to insure a happy experience for everyone.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together.
    GC: tonyb9090
    KiK: tonysfarm
    Lvl: 130 BSH: 98,000+
    Farm: TonysFarm
    Neighborhood: tonyb9090

Centennial Club
    hi madeline. I curious about you say your nh is "bee hive" type.. iis there any other word to descripe some neighborhood type? I wanna know about that.. or if anybody know theres thread explain those kind of nh type titles, please let me know..thanks

Thumbs Up Thank you

Thanks so much for the great list!
    I am the leader of my neighborhood and have a few members who just ask for things. One has asked for things, which I have gladly sold her, but she never says thank you. One time I just put "you're welcome" in the reply and only then did I get a thank you. Two days ago she evidently got upset with us and left, it is fine with me.

I do do have a question for others who are leaders. I demoted a person who has evidently quit playing completely. One member of my NH wanted to know why I demoted her, she didn't think it was fair. I explained why and I guess she was ok with the answer. How would others have handled it?

I also have a suggestion for Hay Day. If someone is promoted, demoted, or booted out of the neighborhood, please do not make it public to other members of the neighborhood. It would be nice for it to be a private matter between the leader and that particular member.

Thank you,

Ardith
    NH: Estate of Confusion