Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading meeting its end...

Trading meeting its end...

I see trading ending very abruptly... People are beginning to learn that there are no consequences for scamming and are therefore buying everything they can and not replying or claiming ignorance.. and its going to be happening more and more..

If that happens, it's the new players who will be hurt.

Those of us who have been playing and trading awhile have trusted trade partners we can turn to. But people are going to be reluctant to trade with new players.

I wish SC would create an in-game trade system, like other games have.
    Level 224

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothe View Post
    I see trading ending very abruptly... People are beginning to learn that there are no consequences for scamming and are therefore buying everything they can and not replying or claiming ignorance.. and its going to be happening more and more..

Trust is key -- I greatly value my regular trading partners, and have frankly stopped trolling the trading threads. I can trade with my trusted friends and neighbors for what I need now.

One hard rule that usually works for me is "higher level buys first" -- at Lev 83, that is usually me. Anyone at a higher level than I am is most probably NOT a scammer, so I don't mind selling first in that instance.

I have seen more scamming on the FB trading groups than on the SC trading thread. There are many trading groups on FB, but you have to be very careful with them. I steer well clear of the majority of them, and only trade with trusted traders who I have seen are active on the one group I visit.

Lev 133/Rep Lev 34 US Central Time Zone (GMT-6) FIELD ARTIST, STORYTELLER, and FROG WRANGLER 132/137 AchievementsProud Graduate of the University of Texas -- HOOK 'EM HORNS!! Thx PEACHIE for AWESOME sig pic! DONE with permits May 2019 - Opting out of this BORING grind for bad decos. Sanctuary: Adults complete 25 Dec 2017. Babies complete: 06 Jun 2019

Agree that a player who won't abide by "higher level trades first" is a red flag.

And while scamming has been going on since trading began, I really think that neighborhoods have made it worse. There's far less accountability with neighborhoods than there is with Facebook or GC. They can change their farm name and you probably won't even be able to recognize them if they are not connected to FB or GC.

I will not trade with anyone via NH. Partly because I like the neighborhood I'm in and it's a hassle to switch, but also because neighborhoods are where the scamsters operate these days.
    Level 224

I agree, I was very wary over trading at first but then I ended up with about 20-25 people I could trust and high levels that even let me go first so I was very appreciative of the trust. Then when someone wanted me to go first who was a few levels under me, I decided to take a chance because I had no problems in the past and I felt bad when I was worried about them. I stuck to the rule with the one guy of lower levels go first and when he refused to go first, we didnt trade but he was actually a good trustworthy trader, so then I took a chance on this one person and got scammed for the first time. And I suppose it was me that started up all the hype about them not doing anything about people getting scammed so I apologize for all the posts in the trading forum about it but I just cannot understand why they would let it happen because they are just encouraging people to scam when they let them get away with it. Well either way, I found out through my trusted friends that the same person is posting on the forums again under a new name of course and I wont say the name because I dont want to get warned again lol but the level is the same, the in game name was changed but the first letter is the same, so when my man went to trade with her/him to investigate more, the stall and town level was the same.. etc.. so we took screenshots of it all and his/her stats too as that is hard to change. But yes she/he keeps changing their facebook account and neighborhood but at least I made it harder for him/her. I dont have proof that I was scammed by this person so I am not sure if the screenshots will help but two other people I know got scammed by her too so I was hoping that if enough people complained about said person it would help but I dont think so. I guess all we can really do is take it amongst ourselves to protect ourselves.. I messaged a lot of people that I trade with an warned them and they trade quite a bit so hopefully word of mouth will help.
    Last edited by walkingdeadfanatic; June 9th, 2014 at 05:28 PM.

Fresh Spawn
    I agree, I am now done with trading. I will stick with a few people I have dealt with and that is all. Unfortunately, no matter what evidence you have against a person isn't enough for SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Janilee View Post
    Agree that a player who won't abide by "higher level trades first" is a red flag.
    Yep -- I have walked away from trades where the trader said "You replied to my post, so you sell first," or "I will sell first, but only 1 item, then you sell the rest and we complete the trade back at my farm." Uhhh --No in both instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Janilee View Post
    And while scamming has been going on since trading began, I really think that neighborhoods have made it worse. There's far less accountability with neighborhoods than there is with Facebook or GC. They can change their farm name and you probably won't even be able to recognize them if they are not connected to FB or GC.

I will not trade with anyone via NH. Partly because I like the neighborhood I'm in and it's a hassle to switch, but also because neighborhoods are where the scamsters operate these days.
    Janilee -- I had not considered the effect of NHs on trading scams. That's probably especially an issue in NHs that are set to "Anyone Can Join."

I also would not join a NH just to make a trade, and would not invite a trader into our NH to trade. To me that is just increasing risk for little reward.

Lev 133/Rep Lev 34 US Central Time Zone (GMT-6) FIELD ARTIST, STORYTELLER, and FROG WRANGLER 132/137 AchievementsProud Graduate of the University of Texas -- HOOK 'EM HORNS!! Thx PEACHIE for AWESOME sig pic! DONE with permits May 2019 - Opting out of this BORING grind for bad decos. Sanctuary: Adults complete 25 Dec 2017. Babies complete: 06 Jun 2019

While I can understand the mentality of the higher level traders, I often steer clear of those who make these "higher level trades first" claims.This is coming from someone who doesn't mind trading first at all; in fact most times I do trade first regardless of the other's level. But making these claims feels like a form of righteous self entitlement, and because of what? A few levels of difference?
    GC: Simplixity | Kik: Simplixity13 | Level: 68 |
    Looking for active neighbors |Trading at default prices

Trading behaviour changes as you level up.

Trading will always be, scams or not. Most times we deal with honest ppl. If you get taken, oh well, it's just a game. Before I traded with ppl from this forum, but how much do you really need. Few good friends, help selflessly and be merry. Perky is a good friend!
    Last edited by Ggghghhgjegfjefgefgje; June 9th, 2014 at 06:02 PM.
    CoC: TH 8, working at strengthening, move up? Stay here? Still boring :-)
    Hayday: Level 79 110/120 (Darn!). Willing to wheat and help.
    GC: [da Q] (include the []'s) Become friends, easy to find ya'
    KIK: Ggghghhgjegfjefgefgj (no e at the end) Easy to trade with ya'
    PM: also very welcome, coordinate helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggghghhgjegfjefgefgje View Post
    Trading will always be, scams or not. Most times we deal with honest ppl. If you get taken, oh well, it's just a game. Before I traded with ppl from this forum, but how much do you really need. Few good friends, help selflessly and be merry. Perky is a good friend!

Luv you too DaQ -- missed seeing you around for a while. Glad you're back