Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing - The Jellyfish - A TH9 Anti-Golem Trophy Base

Introducing - The Jellyfish - A TH9 Anti-Golem Trophy Base

Welcome to Wiseguy's first ever base build on the Supercell Forums!

Table of Contents

• Introduction
    • Goals
    • Base-building Process
    • Luring and Traps
    • Summary
    • Defense Logs <- ​*New*

Introduction

Recently, I have been looking to chase some cups, as my last real push was right before i upgraded to Th9. I'm not sure of the exact date, but it was a while ago as my Trophy Record is only 2634.

Most of the good Trophy bases for Th9 have become super common and everyone already knows how to work around them. This is why on May 23, [2014], I decided to create my own!

Introducing...

The Jellyfish! The Jellyfish is a Th9 Anti-Golem Trophy base that was created to assist Th9 players looking to push champs, and beyond...

It works around a number of AI manipulations and funneling to be successful. I am still testing it as I push so this thread will be updated regularly to keep you up to date with it's progress...

So far it has worked very well although that's not saying much being in the Crystal League.

Goals

My main goal for the base was to have it be somewhat sustainable above 2600 Trophies. Obviously, at Th9 and even Th10, an experienced raider will always get the win. However, there are quite a few poor raiders in the Masters League, and that's who i am trying to take advantage of.

Off the bat, you can tell that this base is definitely weak to Hog Riders, relying on the unlureable clan castle for protection. However, please understand that this base is not meant for -2600 cups, as there are only a select few that next with Pigs above M3.

Understandably, Th9's usually get wrecked in M3+. This base's goal isn't to be 100% successful, but to rely on tricks and traps to pick up the occasional and desperately needed win.

Base-building Process

The Core:

I started off with a fairly simple Th9 core, which housed defenses surrounded by other buildings. This prevents hogs from rushing in right at them. Clan Castle and heros in the center, to make them as hard to lure as possible.

Mortars:

Next, I added my mortars in the classic triangle formation. They provide even coverage and protect 2 of my gold storages + de storage. They also provide constant splash damage for incoming archers, hog riders, or wizards.

Hog Rider Trap Funnels:

These top 2 compartments were designed to funnel hog riders down onto the mortar. The empty sports next to the mortar therefore make perfect places for big bombs, as hog raids are most likely to start from the top of my base. These open spaces can also bluff teslas, as the top of my base is relatively open.

[On a side note, when i eventually upgrade to TH10, i would probably put the infernos right next to the air defenses.]

Side Compartments and Golem Lures:

The side compartments help provide the right and left mortars with some protection. The top 2 cannons help stop hogs from luring the clan castle. The bottom 2 air defenses, however, are pretty important as you will see here in a bit.

Tentacles and Golem Tesla Traps:

The "Tentacles" of the Jellyfish base are arguably the most important part. I mean how else could this little guy defend himself without the stingers? Obviously, they are the Southern Teaser part of the base. Their job is to make this area look as appealing as possible to Golem compositions. In a diagram below i will show how these tentacles funnel away Golems and why my Teslas are on the edge of my base.

Luring and Traps

As this image shows, my clan castle is pretty much unlureable without destroying a defense or 2, very important! This provides a significant amount of firepower on defense when supplied with Wizards, Witches, and Archers.

[Please note that this image was created before the inner defenses
    were re-arranged, so only focus on the tesla traps. Thanks!]

As you can see here in this diagram, my teslas are used to funnel the Golems away from the center of the base. They aren't lined up exactly perfect yet, due to them upgrading, but how it will work is when the golem starts attacking the middle tesla, the one to the right will be triggered funneling him down the line. This way the Golems will be sure to attack the Archer/Wizard Tower instead of going for the middle cannon. Due to their not being another defense above the wizard tower, the golems will then either hit the wall in between it and the air defense, or travel all the way outside to get at the air defense. This funneling will leave the Pekka/Witches (GoWiPe/GoWiWi) unguarded and helpless in the middle of the base.

[Please note that this image was created before the inner defenses
    were re-arranged, so only focus on the hog funnels. Thanks!]

Like I said earlier, this base isn't really meant to defend against Hogs, however if they are deployed at the top of the base i have a chance at the defensive win every time, due to the Hog funnels i have created. This diagram shows how the Hogs will target the archer tower and cannon, then move onto the wizard tower, and then the mortar. The air defense in this picture is too close to the wizard tower and will attract some Hogs, so please refer to earlier images to see the new positioning. Thanks

Summary

This base is in no means perfect or complete. I am still changing things and responding to defenses. I can't really begin testing the base until I reach masters, which should be in a couple of days from today. [May 27th]

If you have any changes you would like to suggest please feel free to do so as i want to make this base as solid as possible. Obviously it will function a lot better at Th10 due to infernos, however i do want to see what i can do with it at Th9. I don't expect to win every defense, but a few would be nice
    Last edited by Wiseguy28; May 30th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

Defense Logs [May 25th-30th]

Analyzation:

First Defense Logs!

So far i think that the base has been holding up pretty well...
    I'm not really worried about resources lost, however the DE does hurt! I guess that's what happens when you push cups with 70k in your storage lol.

Loss #1 - Mimo
    The first loss my base surrendered, by Mimo, was due to the fact that my central air defenses originally attracted hogs into the core of the base. This was edited for the version of my base you see above

Loss #2 - WKDKALIBRWN
    The second loss my base surrendered, by WKDKALIBRWN, was due to one minion sniping an elixir storage on the bottom...

Loss #3 - J Dragon T
    The third loss my base surrendered, by J Dragon T, started on the top with 24 giants. Basically the entire raid failed however he dropped his clan castle as a last ditch effort. Out popped a Lvl 4 Dragon, who when raged, went on to destroy the town hall for a one star.

Loss #4 xxx23
    The fourth loss my base surrendered, by xxx23, was the first look we have had at a "Golem" composition. His attack started on the left side of the base, and pushed inward towards the mortar. My Golem/Giant traps worked to perfection, and by the end of the attack they had made their way around to the right side air defense! It would've been a solid 1 star raid, however 5 Valkyries, with Wizard and Heal support, made their way into the center of the base and gutted the Town Hall.

Loss #5 Pascalz78
    The fifth loss my base surrendered, by Pascalz78, was a solid Pigs raid that started from the bottom of my base. Like I've stated earlier, my base isn't meant to deal with Hog Riders entering from the bottom, so there wasn't really much i could do here. However, if you look at FCF 74's raid from the same log, you can see that my base deals with Hogs quite nicely when deployed at the top, because of my traps.

First Defense Replay Sneak Peek

Last edited by Wiseguy28; June 1st, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

looks very good, except if this is considered anti golem, why are xbows set to air? xbows are the best at destroying golems for TH9's due to their long range, but you have eliminated that. If you are worried about air attacks, swap the bottom AT with the more exposed AD perhaps?
    Crucible
    Ex Cinere | TH10 | Level 133 | 920M GG | 61 Hero Levels

New Bloke/Chick

Gratitude

Nice post wise guy!
    CHASE

LEVEL 155

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy28 View Post
    The Jellyfish! The Jellyfish is a Th9 Anti-Golem Trophy base that was created to assist Th9 players looking to push champs, and beyond...
    Frankly, if your goal is to reach champs, you're most likely not going to win any defenses as TH9 (as you said). However, you can get there by winning a lot of attacks. Your most valuable resource is therefore elixir, which I feel this base is giving away.

You're almost better of placing TH outside, hoping that someone decides to just snipe it.

Quote Originally Posted by crucible View Post
    looks very good, except if this is considered anti golem, why are xbows set to air? xbows are the best at destroying golems for TH9's due to their long range, but you have eliminated that. If you are worried about air attacks, swap the bottom AT with the more exposed AD perhaps?
    Very good catch, that's something that i can easily change. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slot View Post
    Frankly, if your goal is to reach champs, you're most likely not going to win any defenses as TH9 (as you said). However, you can get there by winning a lot of attacks. Your most valuable resource is therefore elixir, which I feel this base is giving away.

You're almost better of placing TH outside, hoping that someone decides to just snipe it.
    I'm mostly going to be barching my way to M1 and then using GoWiWI for the final push, so elixir won't really be a problem either way. Thanks for checking out my base!

Quote Originally Posted by cmjg10 View Post
    Nice post wise guy!
    Appreciate it! Thanks for checking it out!

Centennial Club FlyingGolem1337's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slot View Post

^This. even in gold 2, no matter what base i make, unless i put my th on the outside i still end up usually getting 3 starred. which is understandable actually when you have 7 mil each resource
    Clash: Town Hall 9 Level 92 Gold 2-1 (Farm Hype)​BaconClan(friend's clan)
    Boom: HQ 9 Level 22 142 medals WARRIOR RUSH 4 LIFE

Clash is love, Clash is life.
    Moderate to big Clash Gemmer & PROUD!

A parallel universe where all cards are balanced
    Bottom air defences are way too exposed... and a good player using gowiwi will spread them out followed by wizards to kill all defences around the attack zone to prevent your golem trap from working.
    Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingGolem1337 View Post
    ^This. even in gold 2, no matter what base i make, unless i put my th on the outside i still end up usually getting 3 starred. which is understandable actually when you have 7 mil each resource
    How do you get 3 starred in Gold II? Anyway, again im not really worried about protecting resources with this base. I will be barching much of the way to champs so the bonus loot alone will keep me stocked. Also, I've seen many TH9 players leave their TH outside in hopes of being sniped, and let me assure you that a TH9 will be hit hard up there no matter what.