Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TH8 War Base: Spread Formation Anti-Hog, Anti-Dragon

TH8 War Base: Spread Formation Anti-Hog, Anti-Dragon

As a TH8 we are generally in a tough spot when it comes to war. We don't quite have enough walls, defensive buildings or traps to handle a well orchestrated attack from TH9 or many TH8.

Most of the popular bases I have seen are pretty tight formations with decent funneling and solid trap placement but all of them have a clan castle that is pretty easily lurable with the use of a giant or a few hogs. This leaves most bases vulnerable to a hog attack.

With this in mind I went about designing an original design to try and overcome some of these limitations. I was inspired by a base I attacked while farming. It used this basic wall and building layout but I modified where defensive buildings and traps were located.

Here's a snapshot of the base

My goal is to allow a 1 star but make a 2 or 3 star particularly difficult for a peer TH8 requiring a strong TH9 to take on the base in order to wipe it out. No TH8 base is perfect but all of them have different pros/cons, I will outline what I believe are the pros/cons of this base as I see them.

Pros: Unlurable CC unless you send in enough hogs or balloons to kill one defense, similarly the king is difficult to lure. It is pretty noobish looking with buildings kinda randomly placed and not exactly triangulated or neat looking but with lots of open space so it leaves the attacker with a lot of guesswork regarding where traps are placed. This gives you a lot of flexibility and creativity to move traps where you would like. I'm just presenting one possible arrangement but I plan to modify my traps for the next war. Defenses are spread out so heal spells can only cover so much real estate leaving large areas for hogs to have to travel while taking fire.

Cons: Very few layers of walls so it is easy to enter the core with a ground attack especially a well coordinated one. I'm sure a TH9 could wipe the floor with this base in a well coordinated giant/healer/wiz attack. It isn't a ring design so if someone is good at hogs they will enter the core pretty easily and could get the 3 star.

Not a ring - again I state this because it is important, I rely on TH8s taking too long to get the lure right and the spread out nature of the base to defeat hogs rather than the ring making them run around the base. Also hopefully the double hog bomb traps will fry them too if they launch their attack into the wrong spot.

Results to Date:
    Just tested in the first war against a well organized chinese clan. I was 34/40 in our rank order and they did 2 attacks on my base. The first was a mass lvl 2 dragon and he got a 47% 0 star.

The second was a mass lvl 3 dragon with 10 lvl 3 dragons, 5 lvl 6 balloons and a lvl 10 king he got an 81% one star with the two centralized air defenses getting the job done protecting the town hall. I view this result as a huge success since 75% of our bases from #20 to #40 were all 3 starred and the remainder were two starred.

I appreciate any and all comments even ones that say "This base sucks!" But please if you think it sucks give some reasons why. So far it is battle tested and it worked great, I will try to update with future war results.
    Last edited by MattCoC; May 26th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

TH8

Level 83

The anti-hog ring is broken in quite a few places, you might want to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by verh View Post
    The anti-hog ring is broken in quite a few places, you might want to fix that.
    I know it is broken, stated as much in my Cons section but I believe that if I move enough defensive buildings into the ring to make it a complete ring it will be too weak vs other attacks so for now I will keep it as a broken ring on purpose so it can defend against dragon attacks. If I start getting hit hard by hogs I may reconsider.

I appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind for future updates.

FWIW I strongly thought about using your Moat base because it has a lot of similar goals in mind. I like your bases, very nice work!
    Last edited by MattCoC; May 26th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.

TH8

Level 83

Quote Originally Posted by MattCoC View Post
    I know it is broken, stated as much in my Cons section but I believe that if I move enough defensive buildings into the ring to make it a complete ring it will be too weak vs other attacks so for now I will keep it as a broken ring on purpose so it can defend against dragon attacks. If I start getting hit hard by hogs I may reconsider.

I appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind for future updates.
    Why don't you just move the cannons that are outside into the ring?
    Last edited by verh; May 26th, 2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelled cannons wrong

Quote Originally Posted by verh View Post
    Why don't you just move the cannons that are outside into the ring?
    Those cannons are there so that the clan castle is unlureable. If I move them into the ring a few hogs/balloons can be launched in that area to draw out cc reinforcements without having to kill a defense first.

TH8

Level 83

You need your TH being in the coverage of all 3 air defenses to try and prevent yourself being 2/3 starred by dragons (3 lightning spells can take out one air defense). BTW good job on the unlurable CC.

Mimo, proud Co-Leader of nFinity, TH 9, max trophies: 2694 (at TH 7)
    The Impossible TH 8 Transformers Base

Not sure why I would use this base over the moat base. http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...highlight=moat
    Safer core, working ring, still unlurable clan castle, etc.

This one I take like 18 giants and 6 wallbreakers and I certainly get into the core and 2 stars.
    I've been Clashing for 5 years and was a base builder for various clans in CWL and German Midweek League. I enjoy base building to the point that if you want advice on your base, just send me a message

Quote Originally Posted by MimoBG View Post
    You need your TH being in the coverage of all 3 air defenses to try and prevent yourself being 2/3 starred by dragons (3 lightning spells can take out one air defense). BTW good job on the unlurable CC.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking about this a lot while I designed the base and will probably move that air defense into the core or at least with better coverage of the town hall. My two thoughts are to either place it where I have the double teslas or place it adjacent to the wiz tower on the top part of the base (where the gold storage is currently).

In the recent war I was successful against 2 all out dragon attacks first vs lvl 2 and then vs lvl 3 dragons, but they both attacked from the direction of the exposed air defense. The second one even used 6 balloons to blow up both of my black bombs and still only managed one star. If instead he attacked from the sideright next to the town hall I bet he would have got 2 stars on me.
    Last edited by MattCoC; May 26th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.

TH8

Level 83

Quote Originally Posted by GodII View Post
    Not sure why I would use this base over the moat base. http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...highlight=moat
    Safer core, working ring, still unlurable clan castle, etc.

This one I take like 18 giants and 6 wallbreakers and I certainly get into the core and 2 stars.
    The moat base is nice but it is easily lurable with a couple hogs or balloons, that is one of the differences between the two bases. Those defenses on the side of the clan castle in the moat base are easily within range of the clan castle lure radius.

You are right about giants/GoWiPE - those are the two attacks I would be most worried about losing against.
    Last edited by MattCoC; May 26th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

TH8

Level 83

Quote Originally Posted by MattCoC View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I was thinking about this a lot while I designed the base and will probably move that air defense into the core or at least with better coverage of the town hall. My two thoughts are to either place it where I have the double teslas or place it adjacent to the wiz tower on the top part of the base (where the gold storage is currently).

In the recent war I was successful against 2 all out dragon attacks first vs lvl 2 and then vs lvl 3 dragons, but they both attacked from the direction of the exposed air defense. The second one even used 6 balloons to blow up both of my black bombs and still only managed one star. If instead he attacked from the sideright next to the town hall I bet he would have got 2 stars on me.
    I'd say that you need to put the air def in place of the teslas, otherwise it'd be a little bit pointless- as you mentioned a sane attacker will deploy their drags from NW. Where to put the teslas though...?

Mimo, proud Co-Leader of nFinity, TH 9, max trophies: 2694 (at TH 7)
    The Impossible TH 8 Transformers Base