Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Hay Day Strategy and Money Making Guide

I agree, the most helpful guides are specific (not a "how to play hay day" guide but more like the "how to make loads of $$ during the visitors event" guide) and should be well researched and updated as needed.
    "I've grown tired of the articulate utterances of men and things. The mystical in art, the mystical in life, the mystical in nature, this is what I am looking for and in the great symphonies of music, the initiation of sorrow, and in the depths of the sea I may find it. It is absolutely necessary for me to find it somewhere." -O. Wilde

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all of the information and the hard work you clearly put into it! You must really love the game as much as I do to not only create those tables but to also post this thread! I always find it helpful to see what other people's strategies are and what they find "valuable" in the game. It really helps me when I am advertising or putting items in my RSS.

Keep up the good work and please know that I appreciate the kind and helpful thread you designed to help others. Lots of people play the game very differently and with so many people at such varying levels you cannot please everybody, but don't be discouraged. By the looks of this thread you are well on your way to Level 100 as a multi millionaire.
    Level 101:131/132 achievements

Centennial Club
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude it just annoys and I came off the wrong way. I did like your guide and I don't mean to tell you how to play the game I just wanted to say how I did things. After all it is just a game.!

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr129 View Post
    Frankly, (hey you asked,) I find general guides to all be very lacking. Unless you are just listing things like say, what you get at each level, general guides are pretty useless. And the levels are already listed in the hay day wiki. Since the wiki is linked to in many of the main guides and the new people tips, anything that they can get there would be redundant and probably closed.

What seems to work best is when questions are asked, and many people answer with their suggestions and explanations. That's how the wheating guide came about. It is one small aspect born out of the need to get SEM and BEM. There is a guide about pets that came out when the pets did. I only wish that the person who wrote it would edit it to include the donkeys and the rabbits. The guide book started as a way for those doing the captains achievement or helping with that to know how many of each item the boats would ask for. No need to make 32 soups but 20 breads would not be enough. Other things were added along the way but it is still just a list of items that can be produced. No one item is deemed more valuable than another or even listed as rare, premium or ubiquitous. Therefore it remains a helpful guide even now after the addition of the sauce, sandwich and salad machines which have turned soybeans and eggs into valuable commodities.

Just recently it was mentioned that smoothies were hard to sell. During the discussion, I mentioned that I was going to buy them all up when the group sharply discounted them and see what the little people would do. (They pay pretty good at about 396 per red smoothie.) If I were a guide writer, I might do some research and see what the little people paid for each item verses what the sweet price in the shop was. But I'm not and I don't know if anyone would value that information or not. But that's the kind of single issue that I am talking about. Someone put out a guide about how to really clean up during a little people event. Those are the kinds of things that people of all levels can benefit from.

So , my advice, find the guide on how to write guides. It was just written today. If you discover something you think is new. Do some research. See if someone wrote about it yet. If it is a new thing, get help from the group by posting a question. Then go from there. There was a great guide and FAQ that I used a lot when I started and I couldn't figure out why the mods didn't sticky it. When i asked, they told me that some of it was out dated. Any guide that can't be constantly updated isn't going to be any good, and until you have played a long time and posted a lot, whether you will hang around to keep your guide updated will always be questioned. It took me eight months to get the respect necessary to get just a list of links stickied.

Good luck
    Tigg
    Thanks for the quick and in-depth reply, Tiggerr129, I really appreciate it! You and Tweezle are a couple of the legends on this forum and I've learned a lot from reading your many insightful posts and threads. That makes it doubly special you're willing to share your time and insights.

I agree with you about general guides (even though mine probably falls into that category). I've seen quite a number and most seem to just argue that their way of playing is the best and aren't nearly as helpful as the guide book, wheating thread, trees and bushes financial information, trucking, pets, and other great threads. In fact, I have photo copies of the guide book on my tablet because it's so darn useful. The wiki is also invaluable for finding levels of products. The two main reasons I felt compelled to write this up are: 1. to get it off my chest, and 2. I've searched the forum and internet and read dozens of great threads but always wished I could find a comparative list of item values. The guide book is awesome, but I always wished it told you if x item gave you more gold per hour than y item or z item gave more xp than x item. For this reason, I doodled the figures for my own personal use and then figured why not post it up in case anyone could find some of it useful? I know quite a few things are only my personal opinion, but I hoped most of it is numerical enough that it can be useful to others.

I can see your point about favoring or disfavoring an item. What might seem worthless to one player could be solid gold to another player at a different level, or playing with a different strategy. It all depends on your strategy and opinion. For instance, I like to sell in the paper to help anonymous players as well as leave nice items for friends, followers, and neighbors. Another player might sell only to neighbors making premium items much more valuable and concerns of other resale values negligible.

The two primary factors I considered were ingredient costs and demand. Nearly all items are listed at maximum value making the numbers somewhat fair. The only ambiguity of opinion should lie in anything I listed below maximum price for reasons of personal preference (sale in the paper in a reasonable time to humans, based on my own level and position). If you take out the demand factor the guide would become more numerically accurate, but it would lose the factor of demand an the market. For instance, blue sweaters and berry cakes are both highly valuable if sold at maximum but the market is fairly crowded with those items (in my opinion). I factored this in (demand) using a lower price for blue sweaters and a discount on the value of bacon and eggs (which maybe I should increase and recalculate for).

I agree with you about a cost comparison of little people price to rss price. I think this would be interesting information. Would that be something you'd be interested in seeing included in the guide? I suspect that nearly all items would sell in rss at a higher price than to the little people, but there might be some interesting numbers for things like wheat, eggs, and other things. Also, items sold to the little people exit the game and I'd prefer to sell them to real people at a cheaper price where possible just to help out even if it's not technically worth it. That could just be me, though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for that guide to writing guides right away. I also know I haven't posted a lot on the forums, but I've been digging through them and reading for a few months now. I wanted to make sure I'd read all the great advice you and others had put up before posting anything similar myself. There's a lot of really good information here (some of it stickied, and some not).

Thanks again for the helpful advice and information!

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen View Post
    I agree, the most helpful guides are specific (not a "how to play hay day" guide but more like the "how to make loads of $$ during the visitors event" guide) and should be well researched and updated as needed.
    I agree, too. This is just something I wrote for my own use and felt like sharing. I know everyone has their own strategy. I was hoping I might hear some differing opinions and already there have been some great ideas/different opinions. For instance, popcorn on boats. I currently rarely do boats (they don't seem to be worth it at this point) and I like to fill crates which offer high xp/gold ratios so popcorn wasn't something I filled a lot. Also, I do a lot of buying and selling in the paper and noticed there's a ton of popcorn and it sells a little bit more slowly than other things so I undervalued it (in my own opinion only). For a player who likes to do boats, having a large quantity of popcorn would be essential. Likewise, I sell wheat 10 for 1 gold because I produce more than I can sell at higher prices. For someone doing less wheat harvesting it could sell at a much higher price and thus change the value of wheat and all tertiary numbers. On top of that, some people hate rss's with loads of wheat in them which would suggest the opposite and a lower value of wheat!

Clearly, these are all different opinions and strategies. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, it's just very cool that we all have different ideas about the values of some items. I chose my values based on my own experience and what I've seen other players selling/doing in the paper. Of course, if your opinion is different you may have to change some of the values to reflect your play style.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Smc138 View Post
    Thanks for all of the information and the hard work you clearly put into it! You must really love the game as much as I do to not only create those tables but to also post this thread! I always find it helpful to see what other people's strategies are and what they find "valuable" in the game. It really helps me when I am advertising or putting items in my RSS.

Keep up the good work and please know that I appreciate the kind and helpful thread you designed to help others. Lots of people play the game very differently and with so many people at such varying levels you cannot please everybody, but don't be discouraged. By the looks of this thread you are well on your way to Level 100 as a multi millionaire.
    Thank you. Me too. Although I don't find everyone else's strategy relevant all the time, I almost always find it interesting and useful in some way.

Congratulations on 97 achievements and level 72, that's awesome! I hope to get that high one day if only to fill out the rest of my tables (which may not be helpful to everyone, but it's fun to mess around with). I do find that I have too much money sometimes, but I usually just discount lower level items to try to sell them to lower level players or sell things for 1 gold to neighbors that need them.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Level 100 seems pretty far away, but I'm hoping to get pretty high up there.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Quingernut View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude it just annoys and I came off the wrong way. I did like your guide and I don't mean to tell you how to play the game I just wanted to say how I did things. After all it is just a game.!
    Hey, no worries! I love to hear different opinions, and that's half the reason I posted this up in the first place. The things that annoy/please us are what the game is all about. When I see a load of wheat/bacon/eggs in an rss I tend to groan too, but I can't be too hard on the player because I sometimes cram too much wheat myself even though I try to mix other good things in too.

I also love to hear about the generous things some players do. I love how you discount all your items 25%. I'd imagine they fly off the shelves! Sometimes I'll sell items at default or one coin when I'm feeling generous or want to help new players or friends. However, I tend to produce so much that I'll also sell some things at max just to save time on clicking around. Around level 30, I used to round all items down to the nearest even number, but at my current level there's so much to do on my farm that sometimes I don't have the time to do that anymore.

Again, thank you for sharing. If you have any other ideas/annoyances, I'd love to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by dmofalterak View Post
    Thanks for the quick and in-depth reply, Tiggerr129, I really appreciate it! You and Tweezle are a couple of the legends on this forum and I've learned a lot from reading your many insightful posts and threads. That makes it doubly special you're willing to share your time and insights.

I agree with you about general guides (even though mine probably falls into that category). I've seen quite a number and most seem to just argue that their way of playing is the best and aren't nearly as helpful as the guide book, wheating thread, trees and bushes financial information, trucking, pets, and other great threads. In fact, I have photo copies of the guide book on my tablet because it's so darn useful. The wiki is also invaluable for finding levels of products. The two main reasons I felt compelled to write this up are: 1. to get it off my chest, and 2. I've searched the forum and internet and read dozens of great threads but always wished I could find a comparative list of item values. The guide book is awesome, but I always wished it told you if x item gave you more gold per hour than y item or z item gave more xp than x item. For this reason, I doodled the figures for my own personal use and then figured why not post it up in case anyone could find some of it useful? I know quite a few things are only my personal opinion, but I hoped most of it is numerical enough that it can be useful to others.

I can see your point about favoring or disfavoring an item. What might seem worthless to one player could be solid gold to another player at a different level, or playing with a different strategy. It all depends on your strategy and opinion. For instance, I like to sell in the paper to help anonymous players as well as leave nice items for friends, followers, and neighbors. Another player might sell only to neighbors making premium items much more valuable and concerns of other resale values negligible.

The two primary factors I considered were ingredient costs and demand. Nearly all items are listed at maximum value making the numbers somewhat fair. The only ambiguity of opinion should lie in anything I listed below maximum price for reasons of personal preference (sale in the paper in a reasonable time to humans, based on my own level and position). If you take out the demand factor the guide would become more numerically accurate, but it would lose the factor of demand an the market. For instance, blue sweaters and berry cakes are both highly valuable if sold at maximum but the market is fairly crowded with those items (in my opinion). I factored this in (demand) using a lower price for blue sweaters and a discount on the value of bacon and eggs (which maybe I should increase and recalculate for).

I agree with you about a cost comparison of little people price to rss price. I think this would be interesting information. Would that be something you'd be interested in seeing included in the guide? I suspect that nearly all items would sell in rss at a higher price than to the little people, but there might be some interesting numbers for things like wheat, eggs, and other things. Also, items sold to the little people exit the game and I'd prefer to sell them to real people at a cheaper price where possible just to help out even if it's not technically worth it. That could just be me, though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for that guide to writing guides right away. I also know I haven't posted a lot on the forums, but I've been digging through them and reading for a few months now. I wanted to make sure I'd read all the great advice you and others had put up before posting anything similar myself. There's a lot of really good information here (some of it stickied, and some not).

Thanks again for the helpful advice and information!
    You have a good attitude. For a long while I hesitated giving an honest critique to guides written by new players hoping that it would just die a slow death, but since lately some guides have been just downright wrong and new folks might make a costly mistake following them that I felt I just had to. But you have taken the critique for what it was meant so I feel you will probably be here for a while and be a helpful contributor. We need that.

I am glad your guide helped you also. My new people tips post was really just meant to be a place I could return to so I could use the links as needed. I was tickled when they decided to sticky it. You can certainly keep adding to yours as you level up and as you see how the game changes over time. I will read any additions and changes you make in the future.

You are right in that finding the information about profit per hour is difficult and anyone who plays as you do could find value in your information. What complicates things is that the value of each item is often not reflected in the price and the value changes with each level and even depending on what the boats are asking for. Sometimes I think every boat is asking for the same thing. Just this morning plain cheese pizza was needed in at least five of my neighbors boats. I sometimes wish we could see what was in the filled crates. I'd be willing to bet that more of my neighbors boats needed cheese pizza, but they didn't need to flag them for help. So while I can usually go through my help list and fill every single boat, this morning I could only help a few because I used up all my cheese pizza on the first two. Also for some people the time variable isn't important to them, for others price isn't. Right now I am concentrating on mastery and leveling up. I'd sell all my fruit at one coin each if it meant I could level up faster. Leveling fast is dangerous in the beginning, later on, it's all you think about.

Plus I think it was you who said not to make butter because it is only used in two things. That stuck with me as I never noticed that. But then I got caught with no butter for the lemon curd and a boat that was going to want lemon pie. I always forget the lemon items and the other things that are on the second page of the machine. I hate that. So maybe if you want to make a future guide or table even for yourself, you might want to group things differently than what each machine does or needs but by what product goes where. This would require research into the items you don't have so you could say something like eggs are used for these cakes but also four are needed for mayo and two for lemon curd not just you only need indigo for blue hats and sweaters. Also I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble keeping
    Lettuce on hand till I was caught low while trying to make a green smoothie.

I am not saying you need to rush out and start working on this but I am trying to say that what is needed isn't what is obvious that everyone knows but looking at the material in a different way. Something that someone might not realize at first. I was blown away by the amount of XP lobster soups gave, but off the top of my head I can't tell you how many you get from tomato soup. Do I get more XP by making the goat cheese to make tomato soup or more by harvesting lobsters and then making soup. Or should I sell the ingredients if I need money? I know the guide book has XP but it is grouped by machine again and doesn't take into account the ingredients. Maybe grouping top XP items by number of XP would be useful. I don't know. Just brain storming here.

Anyway. Thanks again for your great attitude about this. It helps.
    Last edited by Tiggerr129; April 16th, 2014 at 05:39 PM.

GC: Tiggerr Two | Lvl: 126​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

I am going to send you a PM. I have a guide you could make next time you feel like making one!

GC: Tiggerr Two | Lvl: 126​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr129 View Post
    I am going to send you a PM. I have a guide you could make next time you feel like making one!
    Thanks very much! I was just in the process of reading and re-reading your great previous post before replying. There's a lot of great stuff in there I wanted to consider carefully before replying.

For that reason, this post to be continued....
    Last edited by dmofalterak; April 16th, 2014 at 06:19 PM.