Thread: Hayday Mysteries Chapter #10 "Seven went in ....."

Hayday Mysteries Chapter #10 "Seven went in ....."

"Who blew the lights out" shouts Fred the sheep shearer "Stay calm everyone, no need to panic."

"I can't even see my hand in front of my face." theatre director Fred says with a hint of hysteria creeping into his voice. "I am sure there is something behind me".

"Yes, Fred, that's me", says camera man Fred.

"Okay everyone just stay where you are until we get these torches lit again."

"Freeedddd, there's something touching my shoulder" whispers sushi Fred.

"Don't move Fred, I've nearly got my torch... damnation, I dropped my matches" exclaims Fred.

"Please hurry Fred, I'm scared......"

By now sushi Fred can feel the walls closing in on him and imagines whatever it is touching his shoulder getting larger by the second. In his mind a giant cave troll is just about to eat him.

Just as Fred is about to dissolve into a quivering puddle of panic and despair, Fred manages to find his matches and get his torch lit. As the rest of the group ignite their own torches the darkness of the cave slowly recedes.

All eyes turn to sushi Fred, who is standing with his eyes closed and his knees knocking so violently that the sound echoes throughout the cavern as a series of rap-a-tap-taps.

"Whatever you do Fred, don't move. Stay perfectly still." Fred orders in his calm and reassuring manner. Although this hardly reassures Fred who is too terrified to open his eyes for fear of what he might see.

No one makes a sound, which only adds to Fred's anxiety.

"Okay, stop being such a wimp" Fred tells himself, and with the only bit of courage he still possesses he opens one eye. And there, sitting on his right shoulder is the ugliest creature he ever did see.

Just as he is about to flick the creature off his shoulder, it says....

"Hi folks. Can I be of any service?"

"Oh my lord, what is it?" cries camera man Fred, turning his camera to catch the moment.

"What do you mean, what is it?" the creature replies. "Have you never seen a cave weta before. Just look up."

In unison all the gnomes slowly look up to the roof of the cave and there above them are hundreds of cave wetas.

In the panic that ensues, with wee gnomes running in all directions, the torches go out again.

Fred smacks into Fred sending them both flying. Fred runs into the cave wall, knocking himself out. And all Fred can think about is the monster on his shoulder and starts running around in circles.

The two soldier boys Ferdinand and Fergus, new off the boat, aren't really sure what to do. "Do something Ferdie", Fergus whispers. "We are suppose to be here to help. The Colonel will be disappoint in us if any harm comes to these wee lads".

"Just let me get my torch lit again" relies Ferdie.

Once the darkness begins to withdraw and light fills the cavern, Fergus looks around him and is surprised that seven wee gnomes can cause so much havoc.

"Pull yourselves together" the weta commands the gnomes from the rock he jumped to during the confusion, "anyone would think you have never seen a giant weta before. My friends call me 'Arapeta'".

"He has friends!" whispers Fred to Fred.

"I heard that" says an indignant Arapeta. "My eyesight may not be the best with all this living in the dark. But my hearing is excellent".

That shuts Fred up.

"Now what are you boys doing in my cave?" asks Arapeta.

At which point the gnomes all start talking at once. Arapeta raises his antennae in frustration and thinks "this is going to take a while".

"Whose in charge of this motley crew" he shouts above the din the gnomes are creating.

Fred steps forward "I suppose I am" and he begins to tell Arapeta the story of the curse and Aunt Hilda's infatuation.

"Well, you do have a problem don't you. The yeti you say. I haven't seen him around here for quite a while. You will have to venture further into the caves to find him. He is very shy and secretive" advises Arapeta.

Arapeta agrees to help find the yeti and with the giant weta sitting back on Fred's shoulder, the intrepid group head further into the caves.

As they walk he begins to tell them a little of the history of the caves.

"These caves were a wonderous place long ago, 'The Kingdom Under the Hill' it was called and it was ruled over by a benevolent King called Gustav.

"Many creatures lived in harmony in his Kingdom, protected from all troublemakers and ne'er-do-wells. Everyone prospered and the caverns bloomed with life and activity."

"Then something happened to change it all. Today there are just ruins where once there was majesty."

"The yeti should be able to tell you more if we can find him."

As the boys move further into the cave they start to notice the bones of animals littering the floor, the temperature also begins to drop.

"Do you think he eats gnomes?" pipes up Fred. "There's a lot of bones here."

"They don't look humanoid Fred, you should be safe" reassures Fred.

And with that they continue on their way .....

Back on the farm, the girls are starting to worry. The boys have been gone for hours and just as they think that they may need to send a rescue party they hear the sound of voices coming from the cave.

First Ferdinand emerges, eyes blinking in the bright sunshine as they readjust to the light. He is followed by camerman Fred and sheep shearer Fred. Fergus stumbles out followed by fisherman Fred, goatherder Fred, stablehand Fred and theatre director Fred.

Sheep shearer Fred's wife Hilda is relieved to see her husband safe and sound. But as she looks around the band of adventurers she notices something. Seven gnomes entered the cave and only six have returned....

To be continued......

GC ID Judesnz54. / Current lvl 97 / Kik FlowerFarm
    Farm name - Storybrooke Village / Achievements 119/126
    Town name - Spring Haven

Can't say that I blame Fred & the boys for freaking out at finding something like a giant weta on the shoulder! I am not a bug fan either. <shudder>

Glad to see the rest made it back to safety, but it looks like Fred still has quite the adventure ahead of him before he finally gets the answer to his dilemma.

GC ID - LadyJEM5 / LvL - 80 & Farming Daily / RSS Name - Hedge Row Hills- Achievements - 111/126 - Barn/Silo - 2850/3450. Capt. III/Co-Op III/TT III - NH - Down On The Farm

Happy to be a good neighbor & help whenever, but dairy/sugar/seafood cargoes are no goes. No challenges please. Communication is the key to contented players, SC!

Can't wait for the next chapter! You really did it again Jude!
    Lv 86
    GC/kik: Velmuliina
    Captain III 09/02/2013 Thank you to everyone who helped!
    Cast off undesirable boats: http://bit.ly/byeboat Thanks SugarFarm!
    I don't send challenges so if you get one from me, please don't delete me!

Oh, Jude. This had me rolling on the floor laughing. An American professor I once knew told me once that the US had lots of things that could kill you, but only NZ had a creature that could disgust you to death - the giant cave weta. Those poor Freds, but Arapeta seems like a helpful chap, as are most Kiwis, so I am sure the remaining Fred will be fine in his company.
    GladeMaid
    RSS Name - Glade's Auckland Farm: Level - 116: Achievements - 124/132 Masteries - 31/??. Barn/Silo - Never big enough! Bring back Game Centre Friend Requests!

Photo: Great Spotted Kiwi - Mark Jones, Auscape Intl

I'm so glad it was Sushi Fred's shoulder where the weta chose to sit...if it were on my shoulder, you'd be seeing quite the "get-the-bug-off-me" dance!

So it looks like the Arapeta and Sushi Fred are working together to find the yeti as everyone else abandoned Fred and his mission. Or did they decide it was a job just for Fred and not anyone else?

I wonder if Fred will find the yeti and if he will get the answer(s) to his question(s). Good luck, Fred!

GC/KIK: knitgal2/knitgal - Level 112 - Town Level 28
    Completed TTII and TTIII back to back...at Level 60! It CAN be done at higher levels!

Love those wetas, the only insect I know that is goes right through ugly into another dimension and almost goes full circle back to cute. ( yes, really, in real life they are fascinating. ) I've never seen a cave weta but I found an ordinary one in my boot last month.

GC:lane-lily Level 64

Quote Originally Posted by LaneLily View Post
    Love those wetas, the only insect I know that is goes right through ugly into another dimension and almost goes full circle back to cute. ( yes, really, in real life they are fascinating. ) I've never seen a cave weta but I found an ordinary one in my boot last month.
    *shudder* I certainly hope you saw it in your boot before you put your foot in it. *shudder...again*

GC/KIK: knitgal2/knitgal - Level 112 - Town Level 28
    Completed TTII and TTIII back to back...at Level 60! It CAN be done at higher levels!

Nope, found it with my foot, with a sock on luckily and before I damaged it, so I could just shake it out. They are quite gentle better than a wasp any day.

but if it had been a spider I would have shrieked my head off. I have no idea why the different reaction.
    Last edited by LaneLily; April 15th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

GC:lane-lily Level 64

Oh my jude! Were do u come up with all? A kingdom under ground and huge insects that talks?! And why did the others abandon poor Fred alone down there? Awesome story jude!! Just gets better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by LaneLily View Post
    Nope, found it with my foot, with a sock on luckily and before I damaged it, so I could just shake it out. They are quite gentle better than a wasp any day.

but if it had been a spider I would have shrieked my head off. I have no idea why the different reaction.
    Lily, this is the reason i always stuff a crumpled up, plastic supermarket bag into the top of my gumboots when i take them off, so nothing can get in and hide in the toe.

Speaking of spiders, I came home on Thursday afternoon to find a Nursery Web Spider on the bedroom wall. Have you ever seen one? The Prof Em said removing it was my top priority.
    GladeMaid
    RSS Name - Glade's Auckland Farm: Level - 116: Achievements - 124/132 Masteries - 31/??. Barn/Silo - Never big enough! Bring back Game Centre Friend Requests!

Photo: Great Spotted Kiwi - Mark Jones, Auscape Intl