Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Level 22 - Oh noes!

Level 22 - Oh noes!

So I have been fighting storage issues for quite a while. Barn is only at 175 because there is one item I never get. I do sell all of my stuff but I do keep all barn and silo expansion items as well as all tools. Well now at level 22 I am getting expansion items filling my storage. I'm not sure what to do now... I can't harvest eggs without getting the barn full message... Would love some input.
    Thanks,
    Chief

Been there, still there, and I'm at 900! Try the trading thread; one persons trash is another's treasure.
    "I've grown tired of the articulate utterances of men and things. The mystical in art, the mystical in life, the mystical in nature, this is what I am looking for and in the great symphonies of music, the initiation of sorrow, and in the depths of the sea I may find it. It is absolutely necessary for me to find it somewhere." -O. Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefthawk View Post
    So I have been fighting storage issues for quite a while. Barn is only at 175 because there is one item I never get. I do sell all of my stuff but I do keep all barn and silo expansion items as well as all tools. Well now at level 22 I am getting expansion items filling my storage. I'm not sure what to do now... I can't harvest eggs without getting the barn full message... Would love some input.
    Thanks,
    Chief
    hi Chiefhawk. It sounds like you are having the normal game experience at level 22. There are many ways to address the barn storage issue.

You could upgrade only one thing at a time. If you are focusing on barn expansion, you could sell silo and land expansion items until you are focusing on them.

You could maintain a minimum stock of other hardware and sell or use overage routinely.

You could trade with other players to even out your upgrade stock. Once you are eligible to join a neighborhood trading will be easier, but there is a thread on the forum for this also.

Read the stickeys for new players for lots of good tips.

Do a subject search for barn storage to read other threads on this topic.

Good luck with your barn expansion, and happy farming!
    Last edited by willow; March 25th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Hay Day Level 135
    Town level 39

Thanks,
    Chief
    What many people do especially at your level is to sell off the extras. For example if you need 15 of each to expand but you have 25 bolts, 35 planks, but only 10 tapes. Many will sell off (or trade) 10 bolts, and 20 planks. Some swear that the game will give you what you have the most of. I doubt it is programmed that way, but it seems like it because you always get one item less often (that IS programmed in). While what you get most can change it doesn't happen a lot. So some also sell off the excess in order to keep them even. In the above example, that would mean selling off all but 10-12 of your excess items. That helps ease the barn since you can't expand until you get the last of those rare items and even if you do sell off the excess now, you will probably get more of them before you get that last rare item

Ok all that being said, another thing that many do, is use the trade threads to hook up with someone who needs what you have extra of . Trading is very risky, since it is not supported by supercell and you always run the risk of having your trade swiped by an unsuspecting neighbor, or getting scammed by an unscrupulous trader. Check out the trade threads, follow the rules and when you get someone you like to trade with, take your trades off line and trade with someone you feel safe with.

Lastly. Another thing many folks do is they alternate what they update, selling off all silo things and keeping just barn ones and then alternating till they get where they want to be. The silo can be smaller than the barn since the barn has to store expansion materials as well as products.

Hope that all helps

Tigg

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

If other experienced farmers can post any other constructive tips here about barn and silo expansion, I'll add it to the new people tips thread. But be nice! Rudeness to anyone will force me to pull out the helpful tips and leave the rest to fall off to the post graveyard. My new motto is , be nice! Ok ok I thought about "don't worry be happy" but then the song gets stuck in my head,which it is now. Thanks you very much. Arrrrrrrgggggggg

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I cringe at selling the excess items because they are so so hard to come by. I feel like if I sell my 12 excess duct tape I will never see another one. I may try trading but after reading the thread about how to trade items it seems like a pain in the backside.
    Wish you could send Tom for these items.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I cringe at selling the excess items because they are so so hard to come by. I feel like if I sell my 12 excess duct tape I will never see another one. I may try trading but after reading the thread about how to trade items it seems like a pain in the backside.
    Wish you could send Tom for these items.
    It takes a bit of a leap of faith to sell off overage, but the game is set up for you to get more, maybe not as fast as you want, but there is a theory that you get more of what you have most of so hanging on to overage just perpetuates the unevenness of your stock. Trading can feel like an effort, but once you have had a few successful trades you build up a list of trading partners you can trust and then it is easier. At least when trading, you are not getting rid of a valued commodity, you are just exchanging it. Many traders use a free app called kik for communication, so to expedite trades, should you opt for that option, you may want to download it.

Just a note: ways to get upgrade materials are by rotating crops and feeding pets. The faster the crop growth cycle, the more you will get. Red boxes also yield them. There is a way to maximize red box availability without using diamonds. The moderator Cricks has a good thread on this. Sorry i don't have any links for you, but a search should bring it up.
    Last edited by willow; March 25th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Hay Day Level 135
    Town level 39

Trainee
    Rest assured, they make new duct tapes every day :-) Of course, they are likely making them in a place you don't happen to be visiting at the time, and you may go through long droughts where you don't find what you need. And then you will stumble on a bunch of stands selling tenners of duct tapes and you will smile with joy as you buy them. And then panic with fear as you realize that you didn't clear enough out of your barn to store ten duct tapes. And hurry back to your stand and dump something from the barn. And then be ecstatic (or crestfallen) when you go back to the stand and find that the ten pack of duct tapes is still there (or gone, or the DD has flipped to a new version and you can't get back to the stand anymore).

The strategy I used from the low hundreds to about 800 was to only work on expanding one item at a time (barn or silo or land). If I didn't do that, I felt like I was stuck making progress on anything, so I decided to focus on one expansion item at a time. I don't know for sure if the net effect on expansion was better with that strategy or if I would have ended up at the same place if I had carefully balanced everything and moved everything forward slowly. I think the single item approach is probably better for a few hundred capacities at least.

I was also like you, in that it pained me to sell excess items that I knew I would need later. But storage levels simply didn't give me the luxury for worrying about the long-term; you need to address the short-term first, which involves obtaining the one type of item you need for expanding the current level. Of course, my daughter would comment that if we saved the extra items, we could get a head start the next time we were working on expanding. At the current level (900ish), I feel like I can start storing a few excess materials and get that head start.

I've never traded, so it's just been a lot of long hours scouring DD and picking up stuff from folks on the Friends tab. If you want to operate outside of the elements of the game (i.e. using kik or the forum), then you can accelerate the process via trades, but I prefer good old hard work, via searching for the needed items.

I cringe at selling the excess items because they are so so hard to come by. I feel like if I sell my 12 excess duct tape I will never see another one.
    I did too for a long time, but I finally starting selling off just a couple of whatever item I am WAY out of balance on. Currently for me it's duct tape. I can not seem to get bolts to save my life, but every time I play I seem to get at least 1 or 2 more duct tapes. I had about 10-12 more of those than the next nearest item, planks. So I've started selling of the new ones I get...I still have a small buffer over the 39 I need for my next upgrade. They still seem to pop up for me, but your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    It takes a bit of a leap of faith to sell off overage, but the game is set up for you to get more, maybe not as fast as you want, but there is a theory that you get more of what you have most of so hanging on to overage just perpetuates the unevenness of your stock.
    This, yes. It is definitely a leap of faith.

_________
    Donna / Level 125

The advice about expanding only one building at a time is very wise. When I first started I, too, wanted to expand the barn and silo at the same time. I discovered the hard way that it's almost not possible, or at best, it's very frustrating. One day I was so tired of the uneven balance that I had a huge fire sale of LOTS AND LOTS of tools to try to even things out. Yes, those that you have the most of will come back. Grit your teeth and sell off the extras. If you can't quite go that far, leave yourself 2 or 3 extras and sell the rest, those that are greatly out of proportion. Believe me, you'll feel better. I find that farming becomes much more stressful and less fun when I'm constantly fighting with my barn for space for tools vs. products.

Good luck!
    Shea
    Level: 83 (how on earth did THAT happen?!); Town level 21; TT III; Captain III; BSH3; 107/108
    I play daily and help a lot and appreciate those lovelies who help me!