Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Basic Funneling 101

Basic Funneling 101

Your probably asking yourself "what is funneling and why is it important?" funneling is the strategy of controlling the direction that attackers take when assaulting your village. When you design your base correctly you can confuse troops into doing what you want them to do such as circling areas you don't want them to get to and engaging traps more efficiently. there are a lot of funneling strategies that you will run into as you play the game I will post some pictures of some basic ideas here with explanations.

1#

This first photo is an example of how you can control the direction of the battle once your base has been breeched. if attackers are able to gain access to your village they will be compelled to move in the direction that shows the least amount of resistance.

this strategy dose two things. First as you may have notice it directs attackers to areas where you may have placed traps and bombs and secondly it diverts attackers from moving into the interior of your base by giving them a route that is open.
    *Note that archers used correctly and wall bombers can negate this but no base will be perfect. most funneling designs work best against Giants and Barbarians.

this is the same idea but used on the outside of base with access being freely given in order to direct troops towards traps and also to direct them into the path of a heavy defense items like a mortar or wizard tower that dose a large amount of splash "area" damage to multiple troops. the cannon is used as bait. the reason a cannon is used is that troops like giants attack defense items first and will target defenses without surrounding walls.

*Note if a mine or collector is used for bait it will not attract giants which normally will be your main target at lower level Town Hall LVLs

This next picture demonstrates another outer wall funneling strategy. with this you direct attackers attempting to attack the outer wall with "floating Walls" troops will attempt to go around them and Wall breakers will also not attack a wall that is not enclosed. since most people release there wall breakers in a group this strategy could be devastating against the right person.

path of troops

*Note ... remember to place spring boards between to defenses. What this dose is forces attackers to concentrate in large groups while attacking the first defense and when they move to the second defense multiple targets will hit the spring board at one time.

I hope that I could be of help to all you new players that may not know where to start when building a new base. if you have any questions please post them or PM "private message" me and if there are any other senior COC players that would like to post other photos of basic funneling ideas or have other tips about funneling please comment as well

Last edited by TheDonMega; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

That's a nice beginners guide to funneling.

maybe you could add something like this?

I think you should also mention that if you have two defenses in the same compartment, it's best to put the spring trap behind the first one, so one giant won't trigger it.

Thanks MathewWang2012 for the sig!
    level 92-TH 9-trophy record: 2679
    Complete base design guide | more links | Join Team Zoom | TS&Q links
    🐹🐶🐹

Quote Originally Posted by nathannathan1232 View Post
    That's a nice beginners guide to funneling.

maybe you could add something like this?

Thank you for that additional information I added it to the thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonMega View Post
    Thank you for that additional information I added it to the thread
    No problem.

Thanks MathewWang2012 for the sig!
    level 92-TH 9-trophy record: 2679
    Complete base design guide | more links | Join Team Zoom | TS&Q links
    🐹🐶🐹

Maybe someone do a wall junction one? Anyways to op, nice thread

Banned
    Nice thread OP this should help a ton of new players

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7

Excellent guide!

Thanks for sharing, this is excellent guide for funneling!!! This is a strategy / tactic guide, so I'll change this to that subforum

EDIT: Also, if you come across good basic level attack / defense guides, please PM links to me (I found a few older ones, and very specific high-level ones, but I didn't manage to find a basic one.)

Awesome post, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Marika[Supercell] View Post
    Thanks for sharing, this is excellent guide for funneling!!! This is a strategy / tactic guide, so I'll change this to that subforum

EDIT: Also, if you come across good basic level attack / defense guides, please PM links to me (I found a few older ones, and very specific high-level ones, but I didn't manage to find a basic one.)
    Wow thanks for the sticky thread I did not expect that I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for attack/defense guides. I plan on doing a couple more 101 guides within the next few days so i'll post and send a link to you when I do.

Very very basic, this will help the low level people and for the newbs
    SEMI-RETIRED FROM CLASH Lookin for me? ​I'm chillin with my friends at Toxic_Viperz