Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a tips on using Tom thread? How do you use him?

Is there a tips on using Tom thread? How do you use him?

I use him just to buy shovels, then I get my diamonds back plus I make lots of metal bars and jewellery for vouchers, I'm dying to get the full menagerie of pets. Is there a better way? I'm not fussed about using him to get boat orders, and I have a small stockpile of saws etc, enough to keep the game providing me with more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat2907 View Post
    I use him just to buy shovels, then I get my diamonds back plus I make lots of metal bars and jewellery for vouchers, I'm dying to get the full menagerie of pets. Is there a better way? I'm not fussed about using him to get boat orders, and I have a small stockpile of saws etc, enough to keep the game providing me with more.
    With Tom it depends on what you need. For instance my sauce maker now makes the lemon curd and mayo. But I can't seem to keep enough soy sauce anymore because it has been a pain to shop lately because my iPad has been lagging. So I used him to get soy sauce a couple times while I kept my sauce maker working on olive oil and mayo. Once I was so low on jams that I just used him to get my stock back up. When I a want to work on the smelter achievement, I send him for shovels. I usually send him for shovels at least three times when I hire him for a day. Right now my daughter has him for ten days because she is getting ready to start spring break, so we will alternate sending him for shovels or boat things.

But generally if you only have him for the day, send him for things that take really long to make, jams, or jelly beans and diamond rings. You never really need diamond rings except for truck orders to get vouchers. So if you need vouchers send him for jewelry or boat things. He is pretty versatile. Oh and candy. If you need XP, candy truck orders are great for XP and most candy takes a long time to make. If you send Tom for jelly beans you can use the candy machine to make toffee and candy apples.

Most people will tell you to send Tom for shovels so you can get back what you spent on him. And that's good, except, if you send him only for shovels to get diamonds, you end up just breaking even sometimes. But since you also get ore with those shovels, it still a good thing. Unless.... You don't have any smelters or jewelry machine. Ore doesn't bring much when you sell it.

Then again if you are in the early stages of the game, you won't have any of the machines I just mentioned. Then the best thing you can do is send him for the most expensive thing you can make. The most expensive thing generally takes the most time so not only can you make lots of money selling what he brings, you can free up your machines to make the other things. Even though you pay Tom for the goods he brings, he doesn't charge max price

Can you see the trend here? Tom advice really depends on where you are in the game and what you need to achieve. Some people hire Tom when they are going for their Turbo Trucker achievement, but I don't think that's necessary if you get a back up and you prep well.

The key to Tom is being able to play all day when you have him. He is useless if you hire him before work or school and then can't use him all day. While I draw the line at setting the alarm to wake up every two hours, it is good to make sure you have notifications on or a timer near by to remind you every two hours while you are awake.

Last thing. He won't bring expansion materials, but he can bring saws and axes if your farm is over run with trees and that bugs you.

GC: Tiggerr Two #2RQR90QG | Lvl: 131​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

Most Level-Headed Member
    I concur with Tiggerr.

Additionally, how generous is your mine (rhetorical)? I recoup my diamond expense by day 6 when I hire him for 10 days which leaves 4 days to send him for whatever I wish. In my eyes that equates to 4 days of free service.

My current Tom acquisition has been very lucrative. I recouped my expense in 5 days with 5 days remaining to use his services.

As previously stated, how you use him and how frequent is relative to your farm.

With my current work schedule I'll easily manage 9 trips in 24 hours.

Thanks folks. I usually buy one day only at the weekend because there would be no point during the week. If I just get shovels I can get my diamonds back easily but not always immediately, since I do t use all the shovels immediately. I also try to stockpile them so the game gives me more.
    I'm at level 62 so I have almost all of the machines. I'm not great at stockpiling goods though.
    I seriously want those new donkeys though so I'm all about collecting vouchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    I concur with Tiggerr.

Additionally, how generous is your mine (rhetorical)? I recoup my diamond expense by day 6 when I hire him for 10 days which leaves 4 days to send him for whatever I wish. In my eyes that equates to 4 days of free service.

My current Tom acquisition has been very lucrative. I recouped my expense in 5 days with 5 days remaining to use his services.

As previously stated, how you use him and how frequent is relative to your farm.

With my current work schedule I'll easily manage 9 trips in 24 hours.
    Holidae, your title suits you. I always want to tell the folks who complain so much about Toms sleeping schedule and want him changed to be careful what they wish for. They can't quite understand that Tom's naps are built into his price. They seem to think that 24 hours should equal more than 12 trips. Even with an alarm during your sleeping time, it won't be that many, more like 9-10 depending on whether you accept his offer each time or not. If we were to be able to use him without the naps, we'd be lucky to get him for an hour for 15 diamonds. I don't like to hire him much because I keep forgetting I have him and miss out on several possible trips. Then my barn gets so full he spends his off time waiting for me to relieve him of what ever I bought. Poor lad.

What I like most about him is the ability to even out the occasionally supply problems, like the above mentioned soy sauce problem. Plus it is fun to toss those shovels in the mine and watch the chickens and sheep jump.

Main Topic guide

Most Efficient Way of Using "The Tom"

So, I'm a cheap-o. I haven't spent a dime on HayDay, don't plan on it, and I'm wondering: what's the best way to make Tom 'pay for himself'? I'm level 28 and have the mine, and all buildings (aside from the fishing boat) and such unlocked up until this level. Any help on the topic would be much appreciated.

So far, I've found that my diamonds are best spent towards extra slots, i.e. add an extra spot to one of my feed mills, etc.

CoC: IGN: Tristan ♦ Experience Level: 89 ♦ Townhall Level: 9 ♦ Started Clashing: 7/17/13 ♦ Current Clan: Loading~~~~100% ♦ Instagram: (clashofclans__app)Kik: clashtime | HD: Farm:​ Aqqendix ♦ Level: ​29 ♦ Achieved:​ 41/99 | BB: IGN: BIGGY OG ♦ Experience Level: 17 ♦ HQ Level: ​7 ♦

And also here's a very good thread about Tom usage:
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...Diamonds/page5

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Quote Originally Posted by Kolonistje1 View Post
    And also here's a very good thread about Tom usage:
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...Diamonds/page5
    That's a great link, K, I am going to add it to my new people post.

Main Topic guide

I purchased Tom for 10 days and I am in love with him. My Ipad tells me when he is up for another purchase and I use him all day long.

I have used him mainly to get Platinum bars, that sell at max price and so I am getting very close to open my fishing boat.

I think it is a very good inversion กกก
    GC: jimena2--Level 135/35- FINALLY GOT MY 30 TRUCK ORDERS CHALLENGE-after almost 5 years playing

Playing from Spain-English is not my first language

Playing HD since March 2014

I love Tom

With my work schedule I am off on the weekends. This gives me all week to save diamonds to use to buy Tom on my days off.

Day 1 of Tom (Saturday):
    I purchase items of high value for cheap and resell them in my shop.
    The items that I typically purchase include: Cherry Popsicles, Casserole, Apple Pie, and Cheesecake. These items sell for the most coin at my level (36.) I most often purchase Casseroles because they go for the most coin, but sometimes I switch it up to offer variety to the people who always shop at my stand...because I'm nice, lol.

Day 2 of Tom (Sunday):
    I buy items that I need to fill boat orders. I only recently purchased a jam maker and have gotten lots of boats that require jam. I wasn't able to make it myself, so I would use Tom to buy the items for me. I also have had to buy some cakes that I didn't have in my barn.
    *If I already have the items that I need in my barn or silo then I use Tom to buy items that I can sell such as the ones above. I try to have as much money as possible because there are a lot of machines that cost a ton. Plus I think that the more money you have in this game...the safer you feel and the faster you can get things done.