View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

Voters
1449. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Thanks for the advice!

1,361 93.93%
  • No (explain why in comments)

88 6.07%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: A Beginner's guide to base building:The Dos and Don'ts of making a base(w/pics!)

A Beginner's guide to base building:The Dos and Don'ts of making a base(w/pics!)

Hi and welcome to the Clash community![sorry for the crappy photoshop, it's my first time!]
    I am here to tell you the Dos and Don'ts of making a base when you start Clash of Clans!
    Minor edits and user suggestions will be in blue (after i consider it complete, which after 3/16/14, 8:22 pm EST it is). Major additions will be in the some format as before [Please note that this is a Beginner guide to base buidling, i don't be adding any more advanced base building tips]
    UPDATED THREAD TO INCLUDE MORE TIPS AND EXCEPTIONS!!!

Don't:

These are common mistakes that beginners make with their base.

Layering your walls
    (The Layered walled base)

So you might think that having multiple layers of walls is good, right? I mean every troop has to fight though all the walls so that will waste time so that's good, right? The short answer is that it's good, but only against single target troops (like barbarians and archers). Wall breakers can do splash damage against walls, so they can destroy multiple walls at once.

Building your base on the sides of the map
    (The Side/Corner base)

This is one of the most common mistakes that new clashers make. Building your base against a corner or side is a bad idea because troops can spawn on the dark green patches of grass. In fact Supercell takes advantage of this in the goblin level natural defense, which seemingly forces you to attack from the bottom of the base when you can just spawn troops on the top and destroy the air defense to make sure that your balloon is safe to 3-star the mission.(Red is where Supercell wants you to spawn,
    Green is where you can really spawn,take out that Air defense, and 3-star the mission with a balloon)

Surrounding your entire base with walls

(The 'Stuffed' base)

Another example of a common mistake that Clash newcomers make (I call it stuffed because you're 'stuffing' the base with all of your buildings). Attackers could easily break the first layers of wall and then have the freedom to destroy the rest of you base. See the white lines in the base? Well within those white lines are the spaces that spots that troops are allowed to spawn on(you might of saw it on the side/corner base)

Make empty 3X3 compartments in your base

See that red circle in those walls? That little spot is where troops can spawn in your base. Every building has a one tile no-spawn radius around them(as shown below). but see that hidden tesla? there is not any no-spawn radius around them. So contrary to popular belief, teslas do not block the empty spot, so troops can spawn in there, even with the tesla there (same thing applies to traps, as seen below)

'

Do:

Make your base with multiple compartments

Make your base with multiple cells or compartments, it will be harder for the attacker to 3-star your base and it will protect your buildings more. [Side note: you don't have to put every thing in its own compartment, its ok to leave some buildings out like army camps, barracks, mines and pumps, lab, builder's huts, and spell factory]

Centralizing your Clan castle

Even though it might not seem like it, the clan castle is one of the most important buildings and the most powerful defense in the game, centralizing the clan castle will make it harder for people to draw out the troops and will ruin their raid (because the clan castle troops will kill the attacker's troops )[Thanks Hannibal!]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    This may have already been commented on, but the reasons to centralize the clan castle are:

(1) to ensure it will respond to attacks from any direction, and
    (2) to increase the troop investment required to lure the cc troops

CC troops are almost always lureable. But you want to make it as difficult as possible and require the highest troop investment on the part of the attacker.

Funneling

Funneling, even though it's not necessary (red circles), will dismantle your opponent's attack. Due to the predictble AI of some troops (example; this base will do good againist mass giant attacks). Funneling is a way of killing troops by bunching them up on your traps. Even if it's not necessary in the beginning, it's a good
    strategy to use when you are farther in Clash of clans (like Town Hall 8)[This thread explains funneling in more detail than i did:
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...-Funneling-101]

Protecting splash damage defenses!

Don't do this:

What i circled in red is the mortar's 'dead zone'. which is the area where the mortar can't attack anything, so protect the mortars, spred them out,and combat this by putting your mortar near the center of your base, like this!:

Spread out your single target (point) defenses

Don't do this:

What I circled (in black) are the ranges of single target defenses, was you see, the point defenses are unbalenced on the base, also they're bunched up (cannons right next to cannons and archer towers right next to archer towers). Just because you're concentrating your defenses at one point doesn't mean that it will stop the attacker, it might even make it easier for high-heath troops to destroy the denfenses. Instead, spread out your point defenses and make it harder for attackers to detroy your defenses early, like this!

Staggering walls:

Staggering walls is an adavanced technique that will make your attacker's wall breakers go anywhere but the area the attacker wants them to. Look at the photo, light blue is the area were the attacker spawns wall breakers, black is where the wall breakers will first go, red is where the attacker wants the wall breakers to blow up and open a path towards the middle, green is where the wall breakers will really go. This also explains why champions always bring 20-30 wall breakers to their attacks.

Tips for base building for TH 2-TH 7! Now this is really a beginner's base building guide
    TH 2- Keep your cannons spead out and in a straight line, keep your archer tower close to the middle to attack enemies from any side they go, don't bunch up your stuff on one side, that will leave the other side very exposed and vulnerable (If possible, keep your CC as centralized as possible, remember it doesn't really matter for TH 5 below) Good example of what you should do:

TH 3-
    Keep your cannons spread out and in a straight line keep your mortar near the middle/core because of it's wide range and splash damage, put your archer tower in a spot where it can defend a good chunk of your base (If possible, keep your CC as centralized as possible, remember it doesn't really matter for TH 5 below) Good example of what you should do:

TH 4-
    Keep your cannons and archer towers in a line, the cannons don't really matter if they're spread out or not but the archer towers need to be spread out because they have a bigger range and can cover more of the base, put your mortar near the middle/core where it can do the most damage, put your air defense in a spot where it can defend a good chunk of your base (If possible, keep your CC as centralized as possible, remember it doesn't really matter for TH 5 below) Good example of what you should do:

TH 5-
    Keep your mortar and wizard tower near the core as they're the only 2 splash damage buildings available, keep your air defense where it can defend a good chunk of your base (if you're being attacked by giant healer a lot then it's ok to put the air defense near the middle/core) spread out your single target defenses (cannons and archer towers) thoughout the base(If possible, keep your CC as centralized as possible, remember it doesn't really matter for TH 5 below) Good example of what you should do:

TH 6-
    Keep your mortars and wizard towers near the middle/core and in a straight line, keep your air defense where it can defend a good chunk of your base, spread out your single target defenses (cannons and archer towers) thoughout the base,keep your clan castle as centralized as possible, it matters now because of the stronger armys people are attacking with
    Good example of what you should do:

Exceptions! These are the exceptions to the above tips!(possible sequel to explain these! I do not reccomend using these exceptions until you are TH 8 and above!)

Layering walls: Wall cushions

Building your base on the sides: NONE!

Surrounding your entire base with walls: NONE!

Making empty 3x3 compartments in your base: spawn traps (I DO NOT RECCOMEND USING THESE)

Make your base with multiple compartments: NONE!

Centralized clan castle: Bases that protect only DE

Funneling: NONE!

Spreading out your single target defenses: Putting a defense to make up for an absence of a defense (like in this base, the archer towers make up for the absence of a air defense:
    http://forum.supercell.net/showthrea...hlight=tempest )

Protecting splash defenses: NONE!

Staggering walls: NONE! (Might delete this in the near future)

The base possibilities are endless, but if you follow this guide, your base will be unstoppble. Hope this helped you and good luck on your Clash of clans journey! Check out other examples of good and bad bases below! If this has helped you or you see any mistakes please comment! (Trophy pushing vs Farming in 2nd post)
    Last edited by Ytiev; November 25th, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

The ultimate question for a newbie.... to farm or to trophy push?

Trophies

VS

Farming for loot

Definitions:
    Farming: Raiding only for loot (resources) in order to upgrade buildings and troops. It is highly recommended that you make a base that protects loot only. There is some achievements you can get for getting a certain amount of loot. Thats good for getting the other builder's huts And no, swapping your TH for your laboratory does not make your base a farming base

Trophy pushing: Raiding only for trophies. Can get you some achievements if you get to a certain league or trophy amount. Those are good for getting those extra builder's huts

I suggest farming because upgrading your village and advancing your base is the whole entire point of Clash. sure there is some achievements for getting to a certain league or trophy amount but in order to get there you have to have a lot of time on your hands or a good defense and troops. Farming is really good especially for people who have real life responsibilities. You get a free shield for 12 hrs and you only log on to collect from your mines and pumps and raid 1-2 times a day (Although you can do a farming marathon and try to get a lot of loot in a certain amount of time) For trophy pushing if you have a weak base then you must raid contently and play in sessions in order to gain more trophies than you lose. Also farming can improve the overall look of your village while trophy pushing while trophy pushing only improves the number of pixalated trophies on your screen. Just my 2 cents

Some examples of good bases

Some examples of bad bases

Hey, this is an example of wall breakers detsroying more than one layer! ^

Last edited by Ytiev; November 25th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

I would change the color of the do's to a more visible green.
    IGN: Chuckwagon
    Level: 108 | TH Level: 9 | Clan: Hit Squad
    Gold Grab: 370 Million | Highest Trophies: 2806 (Masters II)
    Heroic Heist: 1.075 Million

What?!? You mean to say that my super-duper-ultra-extreme-super-ultra-awesome base isn't good?

Thanks MathewWang2012 for the sig!
    level 92-TH 9-trophy record: 2679
    Complete base design guide | more links | Join Team Zoom | TS&Q links
    🐹🐶🐹

Quote Originally Posted by nathannathan1232 View Post
    What?!? You mean to say that my super-duper-ultra-extreme-super-ultra-awesome base isn't good?

Lol nate, but in all seriousness, this thread is to guide newbies on how they should make their base and the mistakes other newbies do

Fresh Spawn
    If you ever happen to drop below 600 trophies you see some amusing looking base designs. One tip I would get across is that protecting resources is more important than protecting your Town Hall, until you feel ready to attempt the Sweet Victory Achievement
    AQ - Lvl 35 / BK - Lvl 25
    TH 10 - Lvl 133
    Highest trophy count - 3262
    88 Lava Walls, 162 Lego's

Update log:
    3/14/14 made original thread
    3/15/14 [Added CC details and funneling]
    3/16/14 [Added spreading out point defenses and not making empty 3X3 compartments]
    3/18/14 [added poll, and who said no with out commenting why? Forum trolls?]
    3/22/14 [Added staggering walls]
    3/24/14 [Added side note to stuffed base, added apology to beginning for crappy photoshop]
    6/8/14 [HUGE update, see thread for more details, work in progress]
    Wow, thanks for the 650k views! Lets see if we can get to A MILLION VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ytiev; October 30th, 2014 at 07:37 PM.

Commanding my warriors to destroy SC HQ and find out where the clash loot is at
    Why don't you add funneling? Its a common technique when you get a bit higher...

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumiliator View Post
    When I hear the word deal, I think "sooo I'll spare your life if you give me everything? That's a pretty reasonable one!"
    Clash: Metten1998|Kiruna Miners|lvl 117|Farming|TH9
    Boom: Metten1998|Forum Forever|HQ 20|~Lvl 59|User of Hooka and smoky Warriors|Retired
    My first RPG!

At the Boom Beach Cafe making carrot burgers
    Try to add more do's
    TC likes carrots on his burgers.
    no, this is not clickable

Quote Originally Posted by KaiTheBeast0 View Post
    Try to add more do's
    I was about to say that. Maybe something like centralize cc. Or Keep splash protected.

I'm using the old rolleyes emoji. I'm happy they added more but... I will always roll my eyes using the emoji that is now called "smirk"
    Supercell is not SC! Supercell is SEE!
    If you want to join the campaign, put that quote in YOUR sig! click here for details