Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Builder Timing Bug? INFLATED - proof....

Quote Originally Posted by dahimi View Post
    Perhaps they are both wrong. I'm pretty sure people have complained about shield times being off too.

Depends on the cause really. I personally haven't seen this behavior or at least noticed it. All of my buildings complete when I expect them to, so I dunno.

I'm just saying that the bug may be non trivial, or perhaps they know what is causing it but can't fix it. Like maybe the timing mechanism makes use of an apple api they cannot fix, or maybe fixing it is difficult because all of the timing elements in the game use the same code.

I have no idea. I think it's probably safe to assume the issue is non trivial or they would probably fix it.
    Well, hopefully if it is fixable they will fix it, and if it isnt they will tell us so.

|Trophy Offer Formulas Discovered!|
    ^Now with a handy table linking offers and cup differences^

RIP Smash Land

He who has not yet claimed his title dahimi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zachUVA View Post
    Well, hopefully if it is fixable they will fix it, and if it isnt they will tell us so.
    I agree they need to communicate more on this issue...and the barracks one. Both are really annoying.

The fact that it isn't happening consistently could be why it hasn't been fixed. Having worked in fixing production issues in IT I know from experience that the hardest tickets to fix were always the ones that couldn't be consistently reproduced.

i think the notifications and the timers must be separate in some way because I constantly get the "chief, your village needs you notifications on my iphone where I rarely log onto CoC. So I think the app notifications must be localized to the device but I assume the timers for shields and builds must be based upon server dates. All guesses on my part though.
    Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; February 28th, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
    IGN: Tim || TH: LVL10 || Trophy Range: 1900 - 2100
    Try my troop calculator, barracks distributor, and available loot calculator: Clashing Tools

IMO it has something to do with the connection between your device and the server. The shield timers are stored in your local game memory. The upgrade timers are stored on the servers. These 2 don't usually sync perfectly. Therefore, your upgrades are actually finished on time, but the data isn't delivered to your local game until later. From my experience, this out of sync problem varies based on your location in relative to the servers.

How did I come up with this? I play on 1 account using both a 4GS and an iPad 2. Sometimes, my iPhone would notifies me that an upgrade is finished but when I go to check on the iPad, it's still a little way to go. Definitely a connection out of sync problem, not a scam like the OP is claiming.

The shield time has to be stored on the server else your shield would last until you next logged on.
    IGN: Tim || TH: LVL10 || Trophy Range: 1900 - 2100
    Try my troop calculator, barracks distributor, and available loot calculator: Clashing Tools

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    The shield time has to be stored on the server else your shield would last until you next logged on.
    Makes sense. This is still an out of sync problem between the servers themselves, or the servers to the local devices. I doubt SC alters these timers on purpose.

Oh and zach, I didn't mean to be dismissive. I hardly even paid attention to what the OP said. I saw the title said "proof" and expected to see a deliberate proof of something interest.

★★★ Champion
    the screenshot posted earlier in this thread highlights the major problem with update and shield times in general, i remember it from the thread it was taken from months ago. i've posted it full size below so you can see it easier. have a look at the upgrade time at the first screen and the shield time. then have a look at the last frame. the shield times act separately to the upgrade times. how can two units of time in the game change if the game uses the same timers? it's crazy... and when you think for a 14 day upgrade, the time it may go out of would be quite large. still no response from SC...

Banned
    I'm liking that people are getting involved in this timing thread, and using my picture to illustrate the fact. (I'm sorry it's not bigger, but I'm using a 3GS). Those aren't all the pictures I took, but they show the scope of the problem.

The upshot is basically that at one point, when all I was doing was looking (not deploying troops) at the single player missions, I would return to my base no more than 1 minute later, and the mortar would be a futher 7 seconds behind the shield.

7 seconds a minute would be a hell of a delay on things taking days. That's like 2.8 hrs a day of lost time.

Granted it wasn't doing this all the time, and when I was watching them, sat in the village, the times remained consistent with each other, it was only when I was going out to single player or multiplayer (well, OK, not multiplayer as that would cancel shield), or logging off and on again that I would see the difference rise.

It's certaintly easier to check when the shield and an upgrade has less than 1hr to go, as you can see the seconds.
    Next time the shield and an upgrade are both in their final hour, I will repeat the test.
    Last edited by Icekool17; February 28th, 2013 at 10:03 AM.

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by dahimi View Post
    Time keeping can actually be quite complicated. Also it really depends on what mechanism they are using.
    There is a reason why a company that depends on gem spending to make money would introduce a slight delay to upgrade times.

Many people play at the same time during the day, and since the upgrade times are in whole days, that would mean the upgrades finish at about the same time: consequently, most of their upgrades also start during said time.

Imagine now that the upgrade finish time is pushed beyond your usual playing time, what do you do? Do you waste a whole builder day and risk being raided?

Naw, you'd likely be spending those gems and hurry it up.

Another upgrade time log...

Elixir storage from level 7 to 8. Builder star time 7:16 am EST Feb. 28. Should finish at 7:16 am on March 2.

Btw, I'm using my Verizon cable box clock, which is correct within a small fraction of a second.

As with the others, I'll post the actual finish time here when done.