Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Hay Day Tips. <3

I'd say most of the money I've made is through growing and selling soya beans. I tend not to see that many when I'm hunting through the DD. Since they sell for a higher price than wheat and other things (minus sugar cane) I thought I'd have a go at that. Seems to have worked a treat!
    Level 58!
    Achievements: 86/99

Will help all boats I can.

Quote Originally Posted by woolala View Post
    This is great advice!! It's hard to suppress instinct but will try!
    Plus, pigs and sheep look so much cuter when they are round balls
    Do the same with your fruit trees and other animals. I only harvest as I need things (I finished my achievements first). It saves precious barn space for the products you create and you won't have as much chance of being out of space. Plus, it saves you saws and axes and you won't have to see unsightly dead trees and bushes that often.
    Belatwk76 Level 50
    NH name: Mohave Greens
    GC id: belatwk Kik: belatwk76
    "super cheap wheat daily...buy as much or as little of anything you want in my RSS, I play for the fun of it"

Quote Originally Posted by GladeMaid View Post
    Tiggerr is right about eggs. I also run out from time to time, but even tho I have sufficient coin, I will wait until I see an offer of 10 for 50 before I buy.

I don't see the point in clogging up the DD with hard to sell items just because an add for a hard to sell item stays in the DD longer. You can refresh your add every 5 minutes, and what's hard about that? What frustrates me is hunting thru every add advertising eggs to find the item I am looking for. Putting your best item up for sale will ensure you get maximum shoppers immediately and one of those will probably buy the other products as well. It's so daunting to know there is a cream cake out there somewhere, or an apple juice, but it is hiding behind one of the sea of bacon and egg ads. Display your best product proudly. RL retailers don't display socks in their shop windows when they have designer jackets in the store, please don't advertise bacon when you have baked potatoes in your RSS!
    Very well said, GladeMaid!! I couldn't have said it better myself! I go crazy when I find a DD full of ads for eggs, knowing full well that more important items are located within. I LOVE seeing other items as the ad item, and I always shop the entire store looking for more treasures. Back when the DD only refreshed every 30 minutes it was wise to advertise the slow-to-sell items, but nowadays that just doesn't make sense.

To the OP, and as the others have said, don't knock those "ordinary" items. I was already running out of eggs before I leveled up this weekend to the mayo stage, but my goodness, I find myself needing eggs on a quite regular basis and depend on people selling them in the DD. And wheat, too. Don't ask me how (you'd think I'd keep better track), but I regularly get that notice "you're down to your last wheat, do you really want to use it" and go rushing to the DD to find some more (but only the discounted wheat). Plus, as others have said, the more wheat you harvest (quickly as opposed to the slower crops), the more tools you'll obtain. I also buy carrots, soy and, less often, sugar cane if I have a boat come in and forgot to plant enough of my own (very regular occurrence). In my opinion, NO product is too lowly to sell, not even bacon and eggs. Just price them accordingly, and, as Tigg mentioned, sell them in smaller quantities.

BTW, your post was a well thought out one. Very interesting and informative!
    Shea
    Level: 83 (how on earth did THAT happen?!); Town level 21; TT III; Captain III; BSH3; 107/108
    I play daily and help a lot and appreciate those lovelies who help me!

Quote Originally Posted by GladeMaid View Post
    Tiggerr is right about eggs. I also run out from time to time, but even tho I have sufficient coin, I will wait until I see an offer of 10 for 50 before I buy.

I don't see the point in clogging up the DD with hard to sell items just because an add for a hard to sell item stays in the DD longer. You can refresh your add every 5 minutes, and what's hard about that? What frustrates me is hunting thru every add advertising eggs to find the item I am looking for. Putting your best item up for sale will ensure you get maximum shoppers immediately and one of those will probably buy the other products as well. It's so daunting to know there is a cream cake out there somewhere, or an apple juice, but it is hiding behind one of the sea of bacon and egg ads. Display your best product proudly. RL retailers don't display socks in their shop windows when they have designer jackets in the store, please don't advertise bacon when you have baked potatoes in your RSS!

I say advertise bacon and eggs because I've had good luck with it. My tips aren't for everyone and I'm sure that there are better ones out there.
    I've had luck with it because I find that if I advertise my best item then people simply swoop in and buy the good stuff and leave the things that take longer to sell even if I put them out at a better price than others.

For example...I was working on a boat order and trying to gather everything needed for it, but I couldn't make or find certain cakes that I needed. I advertised ice cream and it sold fast, but I didn't get any help with that boat order because the good things were gone. I know it stays advertised for a while, but I like to give people something to get excited about, lol. Not sure if that makes sense. I know people out there search for boat orders to fill, but I wasn't having luck.

I advertised bacon and eggs and I noticed that my boat order was filled quickly. I just had luck doing it that way, so thought I'd mention that.

Also...I sell almost everything at a discount.
    For example...I sell sugar cane for 60 coins, carrots and corn for 20 coins.
    I sell my ice creams, cream cakes, pies, cookies, dairy products (except milk), and juice for maxed price because it sells. I currently use Tom twice per week to supplement my income because it really helps to have extra money at my level. I'm level 35 and focus mostly on experience for 5 days out of the week and the other 2 days remaining (my days off work) are dedicated to making more money.

Also!!!

Someone on this post said that they like finding great items hidden within the paper.
    I COMPLETELY AGREE!

I often search through the paper before clicking on anything unless its something that I was searching for in the first place. Then I go through and see who needs help and if I can help them.

After that then I browse through the paper ad by ad. Generally I find something that I want/need every time. I always try to hurry and go through every ad, but I never get to before it refreshes, lol.
    Its a silly game I play with myself I guess. I just like seeing what other people put up.

Today I got a great deal on 3 cherry popsicles. I paid 200 coins for all 3 and sold them for a lot more than that.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica8789 View Post
    I say advertise bacon and eggs because I've had good luck with it. My tips aren't for everyone and I'm sure that there are better ones out there.
    I've had luck with it because I find that if I advertise my best item then people simply swoop in and buy the good stuff and leave the things that take longer to sell even if I put them out at a better price than others.

For example...I was working on a boat order and trying to gather everything needed for it, but I couldn't make or find certain cakes that I needed. I advertised ice cream and it sold fast, but I didn't get any help with that boat order because the good things were gone. I know it stays advertised for a while, but I like to give people something to get excited about, lol. Not sure if that makes sense. I know people out there search for boat orders to fill, but I wasn't having luck.

I advertised bacon and eggs and I noticed that my boat order was filled quickly. I just had luck doing it that way, so thought I'd mention that.

Also...I sell almost everything at a discount.
    For example...I sell sugar cane for 60 coins, carrots and corn for 20 coins.
    I sell my ice creams, cream cakes, pies, cookies, dairy products (except milk), and juice for maxed price because it sells. I currently use Tom twice per week to supplement my income because it really helps to have extra money at my level. I'm level 35 and focus mostly on experience for 5 days out of the week and the other 2 days remaining (my days off work) are dedicated to making more money.
    I think you nailed the main take-away in this discussion: There are many different reasons to advertise in your shop; what you advertise and how you price your items will change depending on your current goals. For example:

• If the objective is to draw attention to your farm to get help on a tricky boat order, then you should absolutely advertise 10 x Bacon and Eggs at full price, because that will maximize the number of times potential helpers will see your farm in the paper.
    • If the objective is to sell items quickly, then you should advertise the item you want to sell and price competitively.
    • If the objective is to make money, then don't even bother to make things like wool products or pumpkins or red berry cakes and then try to sell them at full price. Make items that produce quickly, like feed, or bread, that are always purchased at any price.
    • If the objective is to level up quickly, then still harvest your wool, and make sweaters to keep your machines going, but then just give the stuff away in your shop to avoid the clutter and keep your stalls open and moving.
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450
    134/144 Achievements Complete

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica8789 View Post
    That's my experience as well. I usually put my ad on 10 eggs, priced at almost full price. (People often buy them anyway, but not nearly as fast as they would bolts or ice cream).

If I want to sell stuff fast, I'll wait until I get another free ad, then put the second ad on something that draws clicks, like cheesecake, mallets, or feed. (Feed of any sort is a surprisingly good seller.) After that, I'll put ads on things that are moderately slow sellers, like chili popcorn or sweaters. People who need them will buy them, so if you advertise, they will sell.

If I had to do it all over again, maybe I wouldn't have so many sheep or chickens, but since I do have them, I figure I'm better off with them constantly producing than not. Even if I have to sell for cheap, or to the little people, that's better than nothing. For both XP and coins.
    Level 201

Smile

Thanks to everyone in this thread all the tips you have given me
    Game center= v H4RV3Y v
    KIK= Ronaldinho69

At my current level I often find myself short on feed since I have maxed animals. While at sometimes it comes in handy to have the potential for mass production of animal produce, I notice that I overshoot the need for all of these. For the record this means 18 chickens, 15 cows, 15 pigs, 10 sheep, 8 goats. Even at 6 slots on both feeders it gets tight to keep up production.
    Thus if you havent bought many animals, I would say buying the third pen for any animal is probably overkill or will only lead to dumping the produce in your shop. As for selling these items the prices I normally keep at is 10/egg, 27/milk, 40/bacon, 45/wool and 64/goatmilk. These prices at least make sure other players will buy them up in a reasonable timeframe, as opposed to the for instance 18/egg you often see which will only get bought by either desperate folk or the NPCs.

Secondly many folks use the wheating tactic to obtain tools. While it may appear awesome to have that wheat sell for 36/10 units, you will often have to wait very long to sell it. Thus I dont use wheat but instead go with corn/carrots. Yes they will take longer, however at 20/10 corn and 45/10 carrot the crops get sold rather quickly so you can actually keep going with your maniac harvasting. A fully filled silo and shop will halt your production of crops more quickly on wheat (even cheap), than by going with the slightly higher and longer crops.

On boating I would advice to place the add on something that doesnt sell fast, but do try to place something useful in your shop for those that come to help or check out what you need. Also do pay attention where you place the requests for help. Yes you dont want to produce those 3-4 crates of sugars/dairies, but if I see a randomer placing all their requests on these I ignore the boat, no matter how many creams I have overkill off. Spread you requests, dont let the randomers/friends/NH folks do all the dirty work and you will be helped more often. Or better yet (unless you are going for captain 3 and have good progress on it!), cast these boats of frustration away.
    Martinus lvl 75 (16T) on android.
    fully mastered: sugar, dairy, popcorn, BBQ, bakery, cake, loom, icecream, pie, juice, smelters, jam, soup, candy, sauce.
    Achievements: 105/108 (missing gold miner3, helter melter3, town explorer3)

I have to agree with the eggs, the higher levels need lots of eggs and I am often short on eggs. I will not buy them at full price though, they must be a deal no matter how desperate I am. If I catch up I sell eggs to usually my first 2 crates each have 5 eggs at $65. I have yet to get to the lemon items and if they to need eggs, well I might not sell them anymore. Sometimes short on chicken feed to and have chickens sitting there waiting to get there eggs.

I have to also agree on selling low number of the hard to sell items. I have great success selling fairly quickly 2 hats or 2 b&e's over even selling 5 of them.

I base what I put an ad on depending on how long I can play. If I'm going to be on a bit, then it goes on a good item, if I won't be back for awhile it goes on a not so good item.

I also base how many of each item I sell on how long I can play to. If I'm going to be on a bit, I will sell in lower numbers and can keep filling my shop quickly, helps to empty my overcrowded barn. If I won't be back for awhile, I will sell in higher numbers as I don't have all that many crates open and I like to leave a full shop if I will be away for awhile.

When I was still needing money, I sold tons of crops and fruit. I did sell all fruit full price, but few crops have been sold full price, I cut the price. I sold and made tons of money just off less then max crops. I also had really good luck at night selling eggs 5 for $50, but for some reason they only seemed to sell well at night. I didn't hurt all that much for money and it was rare that I sold anything in my lower levels at max price. Again it all just depends on how often you are on or can come back and harvest stuff and fill your shop again. My price was adjusted, on awhile, lower price, off for awhile, higher price. Seemed to work well for me.
    Level 82
    GC Rottengam