Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Neighborhood Questions and Answers!

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1

Exclamation Neighborhood Questions and Answers!

Hi All,

There has been some questions about the Neighborhoods, so with the help of our moderators and the team, I have collected the most frequently asked questions and answered them. I will keep updating this post when there's a new question which we haven't answered. I hope this helps!

Q: What can I do in a neighborhood?
    A: In this first instalment of the neighborhoods, you can chat with your neighborhood friends, and in global events work towards a joint contribution score!

Q: Do I need to fix my neighborhood building?
    A: Yes, you need to fix your neighborhood building first to gain access to all the current and future possibilities of the neighborhood.

Q: Does it cost anything to join/leave a neighborhood?
    A: No, joining or leaving a hood is free. However, there is a cool down if you join and leave repeatedly.

Q: Can I belong to more than one (1) neighborhood? If not, why?
    A: No, you can only belong to one (1) neighborhood at the time. Allowing players to join multiple neighborhoods would make the whole system way too complicated (UI, playability and technically) and doesn’t fit into our future plans for the neighborhoods.

Q: How many players can belong to one neighborhood?
    A: In the current version the limit is 20 but we may up the limit if there's a need for it.

Q: Who can send invites to other players?
    A: Only Leaders, co-leaders and elders can invite people to the new hood or accept applicants.

Q: Who can I invite?
    A: You can invite people through your friends list as long as they meet the requirements (Neighborhood House repaired, level requirement, not being already in another neighborhood, etc.).

Q: Can people who aren’t in my friends list be invited or join my neighborhood?
    A: In the current version you can not invite “strangers” but we are looking into this. If you want random people in your neighborhood, you can promote your neighborhood on our official channels and ask people to search for your neighborhood.

Q: What options can I set for joining my neighborhood?
    A: You can set the type to "Anyone can Join" (anyone can freely join), "Request to Join" (players need to request and get accepted to join) and "Invite Only" (only players who have been invited by the Leader, co-leader or elder can accept to join).

Q: What can an elder do?
    A: An elder can invite people and accept or decline join requests. An elder can not promote or kick out members.

Q: What can a co-leader do?
    A: Basically anything a leader can do. Sent invites accept people, promote people to elder or co-leader and kick members and elders. They can't kick out or demote the leader.

Q: Why do we need this hierarchy?
    A: Any neighborhood needs managing at some point so it's there to help the leader with several tasks. It is also there to prevent misbehaviour e.g. that a random player who joins an open neighbourhood can't immediately kick out everybody. They are meant to be more administrative titles than hierarchical titles.

Q: What happens if the leader leaves?
    A: Leader will be passed to the co-leader who has been the longest. If none, then the elder who has been the longest. If no elders either, then the member who has been the longest. Since it will be hard to predict leader can pass leader to someone else before leaving if he or she wants to step out visiting. So the hood will continue to exist unless it had no other members.

Q: Are neighborhood names unique?
    A: No they are not.

Q: Can I search for neighborhoods or players?
    A: You can search for neighborhoods but not players.

Q: I am alone in my neighborhood. How can I get members?
    A: Visit your friends farms and invite them! If they are already in a neighborhood, you can alternatively post on our forums, Facebook etc. and promote your neighborhood name!

Q: Can I chat with other players than the ones in my neighborhood?
    A: No, the chat is limited to neighborhood’s only. We have no plans to introduce private chats or global chats.

Q: What are the names showing up in chat?
    A: Those are the farm names of the people in your hood. Change the farm name to an easy name of your choosing to use in chat.

Q: Why is there a report button in the hood chat?
    A: If a user joins a neighborhood and is abusive etc. the other members can "report" him/her. When that player gets 4 reports from different players, he/she will be silenced from the chat for 24h

Q: Why is there a filter in the first place?
    A: To keep inappropriate and offensive language out of the chat since this is a game for the whole family.

Q: Can I turn off the chat?
    A: Yes, please go to the game settings and then see under advanced settings.

Q: Will you add more features to the neighborhood in the future?
    A: We are currently collecting feedback from all users and we will most definitely create more features and additions to the neighborhoods in future updates!

Cheers,

Nick
    Nick / Supercell
    Community Manager
    Like Hay Day on Facebook: http://facebook.com/HayDayOfficial
    Follow Hay Day on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HayDay
    Follow Hay Day on Instagram: http://instagram.com/HayDay
    Subscribe to Hay Day YouTube: http://youtube.com/HayDay

Thanks, its nice having this info in one spot.

Just joined back after about 2 yrs.
    Can't wait to get back into the game.

Is there a way to know who is live on chat in real time? (Who is watching and did not send any message/ Who enables chat but is busy farming).

When a member close the game, next time a player open chat, will he see FULL history of chat he missed?

When a member disable chat, next time he enables it, will he see FULL history of chat?

What kind of message can be found in the INBOX tab?
    Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game and your language.

All the great ones were a student once. Learning is quicker with better guiding. Report abuse/spam on forum.

#ChickenHunter :: Hay Day Lv 130♩♬ :: Defenseless TH10 :: Rushed TH12

The player who creates the NH is designated leader by default. What is the process of that person then designating a co-leader or naming elders?

Since those players will have the authority to invite or remove players from the NH, how is this authority granted or is it just a group understanding of who has which roles? If it is the latter, then is it the responsibility of the leaders and elders to inform new members of the administrative structure, or is there a way to "officially" invest leaders and elders in their office in order to prevent a member from joining and kicking everyone else out?

GC ID - LadyJEM5 / LvL - 80 & Farming Daily / RSS Name - Hedge Row Hills- Achievements - 111/126 - Barn/Silo - 2850/3450. Capt. III/Co-Op III/TT III - NH - Down On The Farm

Happy to be a good neighbor & help whenever, but dairy/sugar/seafood cargoes are no goes. No challenges please. Communication is the key to contented players, SC!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJEM5 View Post
    The player who creates the NH is designated leader by default. What is the process of that person then designating a co-leader or naming elders?

Since those players will have the authority to invite or remove players from the NH, how is this authority granted or is it just a group understanding of who has which roles? If it is the latter, then is it the responsibility of the leaders and elders to inform new members of the administrative structure, or is there a way to "officially" invest leaders and elders in their office in order to prevent a member from joining and kicking everyone else out?
    The leader decides who to promote to elders or co leader and needs to promote members to that role if the leaders wants to do so.
    It is your hood to manage and you decide who is going to be elder and co leader, you decide what makes someone an elder or co leader.

You just need to keep in mind what authority each role has. Usually leaders or elders communicate over who to invite who not and who to remove and who not. Once you talked things through what all of you expect it is clear what each ones role is. Use an app like group me or glass board to have an elder/co lead chat and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Is there a way to know who is live on chat in real time? (Who is watching and did not send any message/ Who enables chat but is busy farming).

When a member close the game, next time a player open chat, will he see FULL history of chat he missed?

When a member disable chat, next time he enables it, will he see FULL history of chat?

What kind of message can be found in the INBOX tab?
    No you cannot tell who is online or lurking unless they speak up in chat.
    The inbox tab has invites if you are not in an NH invites will end up there.

Clash of Clans has the possibility for leaders to send clan messages. Who knows maybe it will be an idea for the future.
    /poke Nick hint hint wouldn't that be cool ?

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

So it's basically an honor system? Despite having an agreed upon structure of leaders and elders in place, any member who joins a given NH whether by invitation or open admission still has the potential to invite or kick members out without going through approved NH channels?

I truly don't wish to keep beating the same horse or appear especially thick, but even with an agreed upon hierarchy in place, what is to prevent a scenario like the following?

Leader A, Elders B & C, and members D,E,F,& G make up a happy NH, then A, B & C approve H for membership, and then H decides to throw a wrench in the works, ignores NH protocol, goes rogue, and invites J,K,& L, who may or not invite the rest of the alphabet and effectively take over the NH because there's no way of preventing such actions other than "No, you can't do that because we said so before we invited you here."

Does it really boil down to screening potential members and hoping that they will play along nicely? Im sure the NH I'm in now will never have to deal with this, but knowing such might help others who find themselves in an unpleasant situation.

Also how does kicking out a member work? Is it a matter of asking them to leave the NH, deleting them as friends or from GC, or reporting them? If they've transgressed against established NH rules, is there a definitive way to force their departure? I ask because I doubt someone who has already demonstrated they won't or can't abide by rules, will just pick up and go because they were asked. ...You broke the rules,.so please leave....No, make me....a childish possibility, but still one nevertheless.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on these subjects.
    Last edited by LadyJEM5; February 14th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

GC ID - LadyJEM5 / LvL - 80 & Farming Daily / RSS Name - Hedge Row Hills- Achievements - 111/126 - Barn/Silo - 2850/3450. Capt. III/Co-Op III/TT III - NH - Down On The Farm

Happy to be a good neighbor & help whenever, but dairy/sugar/seafood cargoes are no goes. No challenges please. Communication is the key to contented players, SC!

Most Level-Headed Member
    Tap your NH and view your neighbors list.

Tap a neighbors name and select edit. You may now select settings for that neighbor including ejecting them from your NH.

Each role has a description. In your scenario, H cannot invite anyone. They don't have the privileges.

Last edited by Holidae; February 14th, 2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added visual

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJEM5 View Post
    So it's basically an honor system? Despite having an agreed upon structure of leaders and elders in place, any member who joins a given NH whether by invitation or open admission still has the potential to invite or kick members out without going through approved NH channels?

I truly don't wish to keep beating the same horse or appear especially thick, but even with an agreed upon hierarchy in place, what is to prevent a scenario like the following?

Leader A, Elders B & C, and members D,E,F,& G make up a happy NH, then A, B & C approve H for membership, and then H decides to throw a wrench in the works, ignores NH protocol, goes rogue, and invites J,K,& L, who may or not invite the rest of the alphabet and effectively take over the NH because there's no way of preventing such actions other than "No, you can't do that because we said so before we invited you here."

Does it really boil down to screening potential members and hoping that they will play along nicely? Im sure the NH I'm in now will never have to deal with this, but knowing such might help others who find themselves in an unpleasant situation.

Also how does kicking out a member work? Is it a matter of asking them to leave the NH, deleting them as friends or from GC, or reporting them? If they've transgressed against established NH rules, is there a definitive way to force their departure? I ask because I doubt someone who has already demonstrated they won't or can't abide by rules, will just pick up and go because they were asked. ...You broke the rules,.so please leave....No, make me....a childish possibility, but still one nevertheless.

I appreciate any thoughts you have on these subjects.
    No. Members can not kick people from the NH. The leader has to promote the new member to co leader to give them that power. So the leader has full control, and decides who they can trust.

THANK YOU, HOLIDAE!!!

This is exactly the info I've been looking for! I hate that I wasn't making myself clear enough to just get a "There's a setting for that" reply before. Not that Kolonistje wasn't helpful, but maybe we were misreading exactly what was being asked and being answered.

Thanks again...much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    No. Members can not kick people from the NH. The leader has to promote the new member to co leader to give them that power. So the leader has full control, and decides who they can trust.
    thanks for the answer, Tinkerbell, but as you can see Holidae provided the info I was asking for. I guess endless questions like mine on the same topic are one of the pitfalls of allowing players to figure things out for themselves. Some take to it like a duck to water and others must be taught to dog paddle! Might I suggest in the future SC consider putting together a how- to guide thread published along with future updates rather than after a new feature has been introduced for those of us who need to learn to swim.

Thanks to all for the help!