Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Support's owner verification method

Support's owner verification method

Remembering the creation date is required to encounter the support and to verify yourself as the owner when there arises issues like account recovery, email change, etc. But my question is how much logical is it to ask that creation date? Now, it's something which has to be remembered for all the years you'll be playing this game.

In reality, remembering this isn't easy I would guess. Unless you possess a extraordinary memory, I believe a large group of people out there wonít memorise their account creation date. I wonder how many people played the game since the beginning knowing that it requires to note down the creation date to be used someday in future.

Yeah, no one would disagree that it plays a vital role to protect an account from being stolen, but what's gonna happen if someone really can't remember that date or when they created though they are the real owner? People now even forget the birthdays of their near and dear ones, children forget homeworks(when they had to go to school). So how would they remember the account creation date of that game which they downloaded years ago? Were they really supposed to remember that? Were they really concerened about this when they were just trying out that game and later got attached?
    I would like to thank TerMinus Prime(TP) for this amazing sig . If you want to visit his shop then click here .

"This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper" T S Eliot
    Agree, many probably would not remember, at least not correctly. Only because of these forums, learning that they ask that, that I now keep a record of the month and year, in case it is ever needed.

That said, if not creation date, then what could they ask? Cannot be something others can readily determine, else no account would be safe!
    Last edited by rowman; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:32 PM.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Well we could make a very long story about the account creation date and itís controversy about asking that..
    Quite often players do remember what lead up to them installing a game for the first time and especially a game theyíre invested in over years will be memorable what lead to the initial down load in the first place. but ok I can certainly understand many of situations where players canít.

A little warning however, we never know how support will act or react exactly unless weíve dealt with it first hand. Plus your experience might be different from mine when we do both experience an account recovery process.

That being said keep in mind that account creation date is only part of the process. If you can present a case that can convince the support agent you are the rightful owner of the account then you wonít have to provide the exact date. We also donít know what goes on behind the scenes. If you contact them from the one and only device etc the account has ever seen then the process will be a lot smoother then when itís a brand new device connected to a different AppStore halfway across the world.

I will say this.. account recovery is not a guessing game. So if youíre in that situation be truthful. Tell them you donít remember that far back, tell them this is account 22 of 25 and you donít remember when youíve started them all of whatever the reason is. But do not just take stabs in the dark and say it was December when it was May. Taking guesses makes them all the more suspicious.

But anywho as I started we can make a long case about account creation date but what are the alternatives ?
    What can they ask of you so you can prove youíre the truthful owner and remember it must be something thatís not visible to everyone who just looks at your base.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same
    Upon creation of an account, no where a player is informed of the importance of such information. They could have been more careful keeping the info safe and not communicate very easily to others.

How long would ou keep a grocery receipt without knowing that you could win a lottery with it 2 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    But anywho as I started we can make a long case about account creation date but what are the alternatives ?
    What can they ask of you so you can prove you’re the truthful owner and remember it must be something that’s not visible to everyone who just looks at your base.
    I don't know how viable or secure this would be, but how about being able to tell the support team about when or how much the last purchase (real money) you made on the account? Perhaps exclude the gold pass, as that's too easy of a guess for some people. Some people, that could be never, some it could be years ago, but it could also be all of yesterday for others. Probably something you wouldn't have much idea on if you aren't the account owner.
    Check out My Village

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylorayker View Post
    I don't know how viable or secure this would be, but how about being able to tell the support team about when or how much the last purchase (real money) you made on the account? Perhaps exclude the gold pass, as that's too easy of a guess for some people. Some people, that could be never, some it could be years ago, but it could also be all of yesterday for others. Probably something you wouldn't have much idea on if you aren't the account owner.
    I think the issue is that too many accounts have never made a purchase, so someone could guess that answer correctly.

I think the apparent flaws of the account recovery process were already discussed in another thread, and Darian wrote that support agents have a lot of data they can correlate and it is not just based on the account creation date.

I think most of the accounts that have been phished were not linked to SCID and/or were involved in ToS violations.

About your data, you can perform a one time request to have one copy of your data sent to the email address linked to your SCID. It's a big JSON archive and it contains a log of everything you've ever written in the game chats, clans you've played in, etc etc. A JSON browser (or a specialized browser) is recommended, as the data isn't ordered.
    Last edited by eitiel; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eitiel View Post
    About your data, you can perform a one time request to have one copy of your data sent to the email address linked to your SCID. It's a big JSON archive and it contains a log of everything you've ever written in the game chats, clans you've played in, etc etc. A JSON browser (or a specialized browser) is recommended, as the data isn't ordered.
    Everything you've ever done in the game is recorded and preserved forever. Scary to think about.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kylorayker View Post
    Quite a portion of the player base is free to play so this wouldnít work for any of them.

The last purchase can also mean that the account has been shared or given away and the current holder of the account can provide that info but it doesnít meant heís the original owner. Start date has to go back to the original owner who downloaded and created the account.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Upon creation of an account, no where a player is informed of the importance of such information. They could have been more careful keeping the info safe and not communicate very easily to others.

How long would ou keep a grocery receipt without knowing that you could win a lottery with it 2 years later?
    luckily thereís much more then just the answer to this question that can result in an account recovery.
    You know announcing all this information also plays into a phishes hand as he would know just exactly what kind of informations he should obtain from a target.

So itís kinda odd to zoom into 1 aspect of it and scrutinize this as it single thing has.

Furthermore account recovery is there in case someone loses their account. It would also help if people donít lose their account in the first place. Itís quite possible to have a clash career and never need recovery.