Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Clan War Search

  1. #1

    Clan War Search

    wondering does the length of time of a clan war search effect the opponent found. 2) do they pool several different clans during the wait period and than do a best match

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Braveheartw1 View Post
    wondering does the length of time of a clan war search effect the opponent found. 2) do they pool several different clans during the wait period and than do a best match
    No. The time it takes simply means it's taking long to find opponent clan with 'somewhat similar' weight. Cancelling and starting the search again doesn't make any difference. Not sure about pool.

  3. #3
    Forum All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,393
    My understanding is that there is an effect. It's like there are cycles. If you match in the first cycle, which takes 20-60 minutes, then you will get a "good" match.

    If you fail to get a good match, you go into wider cycles, it takes longer, like a few hours, and you might get a good or not-so-good match.

    If you fail the 2nd cycle to get even a not-so-good match, it continues, and you may get a bad match.

    NB. A bad match means either you can beat them easy, or they can beat you easy. It is still fair, on average.

    If after half a day or more, you still don't match, the clan gets a message saying "clan search failed". I haven't seen this for more than a year.
    I notice, for a year or more, that classic war matching is doing a very good job at matching the top, middle and bottom, of our quite variable war lineup.




    "Best match"? I don't think this is a meaningful term. I think matches are either good enough, or not good enough, and the threshold for good enough can be tweaked.

  4. #4
    Forum Hero JusMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    amongst the stars
    Posts
    7,268
    Quote Originally Posted by darpan2704coc View Post
    No. The time it takes simply means it's taking long to find opponent clan with 'somewhat similar' weight. Cancelling and starting the search again doesn't make any difference. Not sure about pool.
    This is incorrect.

    Yes, if a search takes longer, then the search parameters are widened every x minutes. If no opponent is found that matches the assigned WW, then they search for a bit more difference, and more difference.... and so on. If the search takes longer than 15 to 30 minutes, we usually cancel and check if we can change the setup. The whole stuff about 'the matchmaker being better'... I will believe it when I see it

  5. #5
    Forum Veteran Rizzob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Over there ---->
    Posts
    1,522
    Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    This is incorrect.

    Yes, if a search takes longer, then the search parameters are widened every x minutes. If no opponent is found that matches the assigned WW, then they search for a bit more difference, and more difference.... and so on. If the search takes longer than 15 to 30 minutes, we usually cancel and check if we can change the setup. The whole stuff about 'the matchmaker being better'... I will believe it when I see it
    Cancelling and tweaking your roster makes total sense. Cancelling and starting the search again with the same lineup I don't think will give you a faster or better matchup.

    As for the pooling question, when you have two perfectly matched clans, as self-matchers try to do, or when someone is trying to "hunt" a streaker clan, the match happens in seconds. This wouldn't happen with pooling.

    Pooling happens in CWL to prevent friendly clans from colluding. While sometimes clans collude in classic war, they have not introduced pooling as far as I can tell.

  6. #6
    Forum Champion joshsgrandad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    NE England, UK.
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by George1971 View Post
    My understanding is that there is an effect. It's like there are cycles. If you match in the first cycle, which takes 20-60 minutes, then you will get a "good" match.

    If you fail to get a good match, you go into wider cycles, it takes longer, like a few hours, and you might get a good or not-so-good match.

    If you fail the 2nd cycle to get even a not-so-good match, it continues, and you may get a bad match.

    NB. A bad match means either you can beat them easy, or they can beat you easy. It is still fair, on average.

    If after half a day or more, you still don't match, the clan gets a message saying "clan search failed". I haven't seen this for more than a year.
    I notice, for a year or more, that classic war matching is doing a very good job at matching the top, middle and bottom, of our quite variable war lineup.




    "Best match"? I don't think this is a meaningful term. I think matches are either good enough, or not good enough, and the threshold for good enough can be tweaked.
    We also found that our mixed hall roster, stretching from 13 down to 5 or 6, matched fairly well previously..
    Since 14 dropped tho, the MMA has been all over the place, and is hit and miss as to whether the oppo even match our 1x 14 that we put out at the top..

    I personally think that "best fit" sums up mixed hall rosters perfectly, especially at present with the new hall..
    Sometimes the match looks okay.. other times, like our current spin, it is barely a fit..
    We run maxer type builds, and the oppo is rusher.. They have 3x 11s lying beneath 9s, finishing with a couple of bottom dwellers..
    We taper down to th5 or 6 without skipping a hall color.

    Of course commonality will decree match quality, which is purely player driven, so the more clans that run roster breakdowns similar to oneself, the more aesthetically pleasing the spin result will be.

    Another one for our "goals for" column I guess.
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; May 16th, 2021 at 07:04 AM.

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran blombardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzob View Post
    As for the pooling question, when you have two perfectly matched clans, as self-matchers try to do, or when someone is trying to "hunt" a streaker clan, the match happens in seconds. This wouldn't happen with pooling.
    My recent experiments with about 8 self matching wars has shown me 1 to 8 hour search times for my perfectly cloned clans.

    in one case (due to a 'good war log' I get NO MATCH FOUND over and over when trying to match a burner / or an established clan (likely due to the fact that there is supposedly an additional CHECk box that is ticked to force clans with good war logs to match other clans with good war logs; it seems that you are also forbidden to match a clan with less than a good war log once this check has happened.

    May be a fluke. I made a separate post regarding it... i only had a failed match 8 times in a row after self matching fine with those same accounts 5 times... and once I gave up trying to use NightmareGuild3 I self matched again no problem...

    but I have not seen a fast few seconds /minutes search in self matching for at least 2 or 3 years. Mine take a while.

    Clan Recruitment - War Weight - Suggested Upgrade Paths
    NG #9JR2GQ9P NG2 #YRY2YRQ2
    NG3#G09VUJGU www.Discord.me/Nightmare
    Aged Greatness2 #8VJ9UJC8 AG3 #2R0Y9CJY
    www.discord.me/AG2


  8. #8
    I do not know the search software, very much about weighting, pooling, or any of that stuff. I do know 8 years of experience at war searches. It has gotten better. Cancelling and restarting is Definitely the way to go. Otherwise, unfair matches will occur. I do not know about large wars or all same TH level wars, but for wars of 15 or less 15 minutes searches are our MAX. Then we restart the search. This works out GREAT. I know this is not Practically for large wars.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •