Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Accuracy of method to determine war weight?

Millennial Club

Accuracy of method to determine war weight?

I just learned about a method for calculating one's war weight by looking at how much gold is in your storages either on a war base map or by scouting during an fc.
    There is a simple formula to use in the calculation.

How accurate is this?
    B/c wouldn't a th14 with max th weapon, max storages, but level 1 defences and walls, plus mid-level heroes, troops, spells, etc., show the same amount of gold as a max th14?

Thus, there'd be an inaccuracy? Not to mention that SC has never (to my knowledge) released the actual weights of things in the game.

So, again, how accurate is this method?

Gold weight is defense only. It determines your position on the map unless there are ties where it gets into things like your relationships with supercel servers,, zodiac sign and whether you like long walks in the rain. Your true war weight is not visible..
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    I just learned about a method for calculating one's war weight by looking at how much gold is in your storages either on a war base map or by scouting during an fc.
    There is a simple formula to use in the calculation.

How accurate is this?
    B/c wouldn't a th14 with max th weapon, max storages, but level 1 defences and walls, plus mid-level heroes, troops, spells, etc., show the same amount of gold as a max th14?

Thus, there'd be an inaccuracy? Not to mention that SC has never (to my knowledge) released the actual weights of things in the game.

I think it used to be accurate, 18-24 months ago.

War weight calculations are not revealed or confirmed. The top end community of players invested a lot of effort into working out the war weight algorithm. I think they did a good job, noting that it was once based on defence buildings and levels, and the result was reflecting in the gold storage on the war map.

SuperCell never confirmed or denied.

Earlier than that, walls counted a lot for war weight, and so many people stopped investing in walls. Many even started new accounts and didn't build walls at all. Subsequently, walls were removed or diminished in the algorithm.

War weight use to ignore or under-value troop and hero levels. We are fairly sure that this changed, war weight and classic war match making does take into account troop levels, and troop levels do not affect war map gold storage, so now we deduce that the old indicator is now less useful. Hero defence power effect on war weight is uncertain.

SuperCell do war weights and classic war matchmaking on the server side, it is not in the app software. They can change it without software updates, and as a player you have no indicator to tell you that something changed. It is very hard to game war weight now.

SuperCell introduced Clan War League, CWL. CWL does not use weights, except for your clan's first entry into CWL. War weight is therefore greatly diminished in importance, if you find CWL to be more important than Classic War. I think CWL is much more important than Classic War to high end players. It gives much more valuable rewards.

Recent new defences, the scatter shots, the weaponized town hall, and builder hut defences, these are all particularly unclear in role in war weight. There are few reliable reports of analysis and conclusions. My personal analysis is that I can't work it out, I simply do not have enough data, but my suspicion is that we are being war weighted for the ability to build these new defences (as if they expect us to building them on prep days), while the war weights of old defences (x-bows ITs Eagle, and their levels) remains unchanged. I note no order flipping of non-progressing TH10s and TH11s.

My conclusion: Nothing about war weights is reliable, and is subject to change without notice anyway. Also, it is only important of your focus is Classic War.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    Gold weight is defense only. It determines your position on the map unless there are ties where it gets into things like your relationships with supercel servers,, zodiac sign and whether you like long walks in the rain. Your true war weight is not visible..
    > whether you like long walks in the rain

I think it is more accurate to say it depends on which server you interacted with on your first long walk in the rain, and how many others were walking in the rain that night. I don't think your enjoyment of the walk matters, but then, I have not attempted to test this question. Every test requires a new account.

How accurate is this?
    I think you've misunderstood what is showing. The level of the storages has no effect on it. If you look in battle day the storages contain the loot which is obtained during the attack on the base. Which for a high level clan is (iirc) exactly 1/6th of the war bonus on that base.
    So these are the bonuses for hitting the base. And that depends on the strength of the base.

Well, it's rounded off to 1k multiples so that's a slight imprecision. More importantly - and SC have confirmed this - the gold weight depends on the base's defence ONLY and not offence (which makes sense as it's the bonus for attacking it). Offence is taken into account in matching and is a separate score, which we can't easily see.

SC have never released the weights of individual items, although it has in the past been solved to derive the weights of the items by looking at enough weird bases and crunching the numbers. I don't think any correct solution was ever widely available, however - the ones on the internet were all nonsense and easily disproved by checking against any engineered base where they gave wildly wrong answers.

And historically that did seem to accurately reflect how defences matched. More recently, although I'm in the minority, I suspect that SC may have made a separate more hidden defence weight for matching and left the gold weight (which is very, very flawed) just for the bonuses. But it's very hard to prove this either way.

Millennial Club
    Thanks all for the humorous responses.
    Thanks Onyx for a more detailed explanation.

People in my clan believe this gives them an idea of everyone's defensive ability....so it is both accurate and not accurate at the same time.
    Schrodinger's cat anyone?

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Thanks all for the humorous responses.
    Thanks Onyx for a more detailed explanation.

People in my clan believe this gives them an idea of everyone's defensive ability....so it is both accurate and not accurate at the same time.
    Schrodinger's cat anyone?
    It does give a rough idea of defensive capability of one base compared to another.

This thraad reminds me of early on in clan wars, had a member who was adamant that prior to war search he had to spend all his gold on walls since he read it on the internet that is how matching worked. Took about 4 wars to finally convince him that he was in error since no matter what he was always placed in the same order on the war map.
    Level: 266 | TH13
    Highest Trophy Count:5608 | Donations: 1.63 million | Hero Levels: 220

Trainee
    As previously posted, it's not the storage level that counts. I have a TH14 with 2 x lev 14 and 2 x lev 15 storages. Each storage plus the TH gives me 27200 weight each, giving me a total weight of 136k. Admittedly I was also unsure previously how the weight was worked until finding out more today.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by jaunma View Post
    As previously posted, it's not the storage level that counts.
    No, it is the amount of gold in the storages that counts.

I have a TH14 with 2 x lev 14 and 2 x lev 15 storages. Each storage plus the TH gives me 27200 weight each, giving me a total weight of 136k. Admittedly I was also unsure previously how the weight was worked until finding out more today.
    That sounds likley.