Thread: Different ways to search and save contents on forum

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same

Different ways to search and save contents on forum

First, I wanted to say that there are certainly multiple initiatives to save different guides/tips/great contents on forum.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This post is geared towards less savvy people, guiding them through different ways they can get a good copy of the content they cherish most, whether it's a good guide or a funny post of a friend that made their day. I know I will never let go of my very first post on this forum.

Let's get starting!

Step 0: I recommend you to use a computer, for big screen, flexibility and lots of trick that don't work on mobile device.

Step 1: make sure you are on Full Site (tap here to switch) version of forum and not Mobile Site. This link can be found in the footer of any page.

Step 2: you might want to log in pour personal space and edit how many post you want to see per page (50 max). This lets you browse a 100 posts thread in 2 pages instead of 10 pages.
    Link to options: tap here (after logged in) > Scroll down, find Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page then choose your number > Scroll down again, tap on button "Save Changes"
    From now, thread you see will display 50 post at once.

Step 3: Save content
    There are different ways to do this, you can save web page in HTML format (any browser does this), print a web page as PDF file or take screenshot of the full page (in this case display 5 post per page migth be better). You can also access the BB code of a partcular post (by quoting it), to get the link address of any link or image inserted. Copy/Paste into a word processing application works too if you only want the text and somewhat preserve the format.

I also use this browser extension with Chrome to save a snapshot of full webpage in image: www.awesomescreenshot.com. Then image can be saved locally on my or your computer. This extension lets you record your browsing on the page as well.

Now there is a few tips to make finding and saving thread easier:

Tip 1: Show Printable version
    When viewing any thread (Full site), above the fist post of the page, find Thread Tools > then Show Printable version. This remove some clutter (signature, image... ) to let you focus on the text only. Then you can print from browser or take screenshot with the Chrome extension

Tip 2: Get the source code (BBCODE) for further format editing later or to convert into other format
    Plain text is just simply easy to work with. Post can be saved in source mode. Not easy to read but there are websites on the internet to convert it to MARKDOWN or something else. You can also get the original link of picture or hyperlink through this method. For people who know what they are doing.

To get plain text in BBCODE of a post:
    - made by you: click on Edit post, then the button "A/a" on the top of the area where you can type text. This will Switch Editor to source mode, then you can Ctrl-A/ Ctrl-C to your text file.
    - made by somene else: click on Reply with Quote, BBCODE text is there, wrapped around by [QUOTE] tag. NOTE: if the post you reply to has quote in it, that quote won't be there (no quote inside quote).
    - thread locked: No idea. Hopefully you don't need this.

Tip 3: Find all post from a particular poster in a thread (for logged in members)
    When viewing the forum (where you can see list of threads), look at the column Replies/Views (for example Replies: 114) . Tap on 114 will open a pop up where you can see how many times one posted in the threads --> find the poster and tap on the number of their posts. This is the shortcur search to find all post by a specific poster in a particular thread.

Tip 4: Find all latest thread started by a member
    Go to their profile (tap on their username). Check left column for Find latest posts or Find latest started threads . Limited to 100 results

For a different timeframe, you can use Advanced Search, Search Single Content Type, filter the forum to perform search and timeframe when needed.

All for now. Hope it will save you some time finding post and threads. Don't forget search engine where you can also limit search result to "site: forum.supercell.com" (only the public forum part)

Private Message
    See this thread: Need to Save your Private Messages? Instructions Here
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...tructions-Here

Visitor Message

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDroid4 View Post
    If anyone wants to save their visitor messages (admittedly not a commonly used feature here) with someone, go to the forumer's profile on the full site and under their name, go to "view conversation", then "go advanced", where the entire conversation history is displayed on one page. You can save the conversation using one of the methods meonhoc mentioned above

Please share other ways you know to help those who need a simple way to find and save contents.
    Last edited by meonhoc; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:02 PM.
    Welcome to Community Forum - How to - Search & Save Threads /PM / VM
    My Guides (Valley/Derby): V Map - V Chicken - V Fuel station - V Lucky bonus | Mystery D - Bingo D

Thanks much Meo for your instructions (of course, I need to spread some... so I will get’ya at some point ). I will only add a few items, as I remember them myself:

- zb’s search manual (how to search on this forums’ vB),

- screenshot of a full webpage on iOS device: take a screenshot of the browser page as usual (home+ power, or volume.up+power buttons), at top of that screenshot window, choose the ‘full’ choice: the screenshot will extend to the whole page.

- search a text within a page on iOS’ Safari: at top right of the browser, tap the ‘share’ button (with the arrow escaping a square), scroll to “Find on page”, enter the characters/words you look for, at bottom of the screen a fast find tool appears. Same function as Ctrl+F on IE.

More to come.
    Last edited by PaluEF; May 9th, 2021 at 06:58 PM.
    The unofficial forum here.
    Discord: Smirk, Supercell.

The Lost Little Growlithe DeltaDroid4's Avatar
    Mods, can we can get an increase to the numbers of posts we can see per thread from perhaps 50 to 100? It would make it far easier to save long threads. When the Boom Beach forums were closing, the posts limit was also lowered from 60 seconds to 10 seconds to make it easier to transfer posts iirc.

If anyone wants to save their visitor messages (admittedly not a commonly used feature here) with someone, go to the forumer's profile on the full site and under their name, go to "view conversation", then "go advanced", where the entire conversation history is displayed on one page. You can save the conversation using one of the methods meonhoc mentioned above

You really have too much time on your hands :smirk:
    Checking empty spaces in signatures again, huh? :smirk:
    | Level 12 | PB: 5386 | Donations: 68K | Day Old Haggis | Contest Winner |

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same
    Geek venting...

Right click on the web page > Show source code > Copy/Paste in a *.html file. Sort out dependencies such as *.js, *.css later.
    Last edited by meonhoc; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:53 PM.