Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: After Forum, which alternative for us?

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same

After Forum, which alternative for us?

Let's face it, lots of information available on forum are outdated (although some still relevant) and the interaction with Supercell is not terrible at all. Each of us, at least on Hay Day side, has different reasons to come to forum whether it's for telling Supercell how they break your game or following the latest official news.

As I recently said to a friend, lost contact can be found, guides can be rewritten and updated (especially because the game changes all the time). Each of us veteran players is a living guide, no matter where we are.

Before talking about solution, I think it's fair to properly consider our needs and desires. Knowing what you want, what you do not want, the difficulties you have (= opportunities for others)... is essential to decide what you doing next.

You might not like what the other alternatives look right now or not comfortable using it. However, they are not necessary your only solutions (depending on what you want to do). Hence this discussion.

So, if you feel lost, what kind of information you fear will no longer be available and why the current alternative is not suitable for you. What are you willing to try if accompanied by your fellow forum member?
    Welcome to Community Forum - How to - Search & Save Threads /PM / VM
    My Guides (Valley/Derby): V Map - V Chicken - V Fuel station - V Lucky bonus | Mystery D - Bingo D

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    On the Forum until the lights are turned off
    Thank you for starting this thread, Mčo; I hope members will use it as a place to look for a way forward. Let's throw out ideas and thoughts for consideration.

Speaking personally, I choose not to use Facebook or other social media (I've dabbled with it, but it's not my cup of tea). Similarly, I don't get on with "instant chat" platforms. I much prefer something less ephemeral, where information is readily available and easy to find. I do like the Wiki for that, but it's not as detailed as some of the guides on the forum.

One thing that concerns me is that a lot of members are seeking solutions separately. That's admirable and absolutely great. Unfortunately it could result in the forum knowledge being dissipated across lots of platforms and being split into lots of fragments that don't interact.

I don't know what the ideal solution is. Like many, I am still reeling from the news.

And it's tellin' me that things are not the same
    Talking about that, I would love to hear from wikia team.

Their Friend Book page linked to my guide here (ahem) and it seems to me most of the tips/strategies from there came from forum. We can also say that our forum members contribute to wikia.

With the closure of forum, no wonder Hay Day Wikia gonna take a big hit.
    Last edited by meonhoc; May 8th, 2021 at 09:25 PM.

I enjoyed coming to the forum to read the treads that interested me or answered questions I had. I wonder which of the alternatives will easily allow that. I do not like the discord because it is difficult to follow conversations and there are no threads to organize and keep comments. I am not into instant messaging. I do not do Facebook, and fab limits what you can do if not logged in. So I am wondering which of the other groups will replicate the reasons I come here.

When my other town/farm game, <removed as per rules>, closed its forum not too long ago, some members created an unofficial forum at forumotion.com
    Last edited by ilovehayday; May 8th, 2021 at 02:01 PM.

Lurking somewhere. Why can’t we smirk in here?
    I don’t think any one group/format *can* replicate a forum, other than a forum. They’re kind of unique compared to anything else I’ve seen. Unless maybe someone wants to build a website, website? Eehhh....

—————

Can the Wiki be edited/added to by anyone, like I think Wikipedia articles can? But there isn’t really a place for discussion, is there? But yes, it’s going to become super-important for info, even more so than it is now.

—————

Discord is good for real-time chat, chat, but not super easy to find specific things afterwards. You *can* search a particular person’s posts in a server (how far back, I don’t know) or all the posts in a *specific channel* on the server, and link to a previous post (though it won’t stay in one spot forever, there will be date stamps if that helps.) People with permission to pin messages can *pin individual messages (kind of like stickees here).

I forget the character limit—2000 or 5000? But you can at least make a fairly significant wall of text compared to Twitter or something.

You can hide or show channels in a given category, to show only those categories you want to see. (Not specific channels though, I don’t think?) I also don’t know how many channels can be added to a Discord server. A channel for a particular topic could be like a thread here?

You can add screenshots, photos, links to websites, videos, etc. Organizers can add sound channels for people to add music for those who want to connect and listen, or you can even do live voice and/or video chats if desired.

You definitely need trusted moderators for Discord, as well. Enough that someone is online to moderate 24/7 between them.

There can be spam attacks in servers. At one point Smirk Nation required 2FA, which stopped that kind of spam as far as I can tell, unless the Smirk mods are always catching it, haha. Not sure if it still does.

But you just need people who know how to handle the technical details of a server, to run it. It’s not hard for tech-minded people to set up, and just takes some getting used to, on the user’s end.

Thanks TerM!

Got kinda worried snooks might be gf, but seems there's no gf in the set-up so she is absolutely confirmed.
    -Ninja

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    I think for some portion of people here, only a forum will suffice. It's just what we're used to and what we prefer. I keep hoping to see someone having made an unofficial forum. I was considering making one but I am unsure how successful it'll be after a year or two or even how much interest there'd be now. If anyone does create one themselves though, I'd be happy to help if they need it.

I personally need somewhere where I can communicate/help/post around my schedule. I don't care for real-time chat, as different time-zones make it hard to communicate properly. I suppose reddit is my best option but I don't get the same vibe there as I do on the forum, unfortunately.

Unless someone creates an unofficial forum and is happy to have me join, then I might just quietly play Hay Day. Might put a few messages in my farm name to say hi, see how everyone is, and to thank people now and again.

Nothing will replace this forum and this generous community.
    Come join the new unofficial Hay Day forum: https://justhayday.boards.net/

I like the forum because of the people here. I'm ok with the Hay Day reddit, but I find it's frequent users are new players. So most posts are your basic newbie questions. Which is boring. If we could start a reddit just for our forum family members...so it would consist of quality substance. Would that work? I too don't like facebook, or discord. I get so lost in discord. 😒

Lurking somewhere. Why can’t we smirk in here?
    I know. And I feel the same way. Forums are the best.

But people say forums in general are declining, so Idk. I have also visited a couple of other forums for other reasons, and they take a lot of getting used to, as well. Different features, or different ways to do the same things.

Has anyone been able to research various ones and whether they are frequently updated, how secure they are, etc? Because if SC foresees security issues, I can imagine it will be so across the board, in time.

Thanks TerM!

Got kinda worried snooks might be gf, but seems there's no gf in the set-up so she is absolutely confirmed.
    -Ninja

I dislike Discord immensely, it is difficult to follow anything, find a specific answer to a question is next to impossible and after a short time of trying I gave up. I'm also not a fan of Reddit. It is difficult for me to follow. I really prefer the forum format. You can read one, all, or none of any particular area of discussion. It's easy to come ask a question and come back later for great answers, such as recently with the fox invasion problem after the last update. I was so frustrated but after coming to the forum I was able to eliminate those pesky buggars. I wish someone would start another forum. I like that this forum has been well-moderated. I can't believe something can't be done so this forum can be saved.