Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Clan chat filter on always?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMotator View Post
    I saw a reason for the filters in global. You had no control over who you were chatting with. Inside a clan I really don't understand. I take clan leadership seriously and I am fully capable to police the language.

Couple things I don't understand.
    Why does it only matter to US youth? Do other countries not swear? They better not chat with UK people!
    It's to conform to US policies. Out of our control.

And why are game platforms the language police? It seems there resources could be better spent.
    Maybe try reading some of our other posts on the matter as we've discuss the reasons multiple times since it was implemented.

Maybe the language police in supercell haven't worked in a public job with real people. As a retail "essential" worker I hear it all! It doesn't mean I use it or allow it in areas where I can control.
    What is the actual point of this statement? Why do you think games have a rating system? Do you think it's just some arbitrary notification that game studios slap on the game for parental warning? There are actual standardizations that must be adhered to in order to conform to that rating approval.

My father physically disciplined me only twice in my life. Once for swearing in front of my mother. Wish we could go back to the standards of his generation. Swearing in front of women and pretty much anyone else was not allowed.
    Not gonna even touch this one.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by GaMe ChAnGeR1 View Post
    That's due to a clan chat filter for clans with under-16 players from the US. Explained here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ClashOfClan...ensor/gdkx1ta/
    Fortunately we do not have declared under 16 US accounts. The filter is silly enough on join requests, but if it got turned on for the chat, I guess it means kicking the new US kids.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    It's to conform to US policies. Out of our control.

What is the actual point of this statement? Why do you think games have a rating system? Do you think it's just some arbitrary notification that game studios slap on the game for parental warning? There are actual standardizations that must be adhered to in order to conform to that rating approval
    So it's my stupid US government that won't allow "wife" and "spouse" to be typed in game chat!
    My representatives don't like to hear from me already! They really not going to like this one!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24
    So it's my stupid US government that won't allow "wife" and "spouse" to be typed in game chat!
    My representatives don't like to hear from me already! They really not going to like this one!
    So the filter algorithm isn't programmed by us. It's a program that we use, and it requires some complex tweaking. We're still working some of the weird kinks in it as for some reason it keeps filtering mundane words like the ones you listed above.

Unfortunately, because we're an international company, it also looks at how some words are offensive in other languages and not just English. For example, while the word 'vinegar' is fairly harmless. It's a cooking ingredient. However, components of the word can be used as a racial epithet which requires some filtering in certain languages and it will not distinguish between using the racial epithet vs. the harmless 'vinegar'. Otherwise people would just mask the profane word by adding letters to the front or back of it to try and bypass the filter algorithm.

Automatic language filtering/censorship is incredibly complex. It's not simply about adding words to a list because lists are limited. Let's say we wanted to filter the word 'jerk'. So we would have to think of every single iteration that can be used to spell it, like j3rk, jer|<, j3|2K, etc. etc.

There are countless ways to do it and even if we accounted for every single variation, creative players would just come up with new ways or other innuendo to still say the same thing. Using the 'vinegar' example, if someone said 'funjerk' because the word 'jerk' is still a part of it, it will get censored. If we didn't censor it, then people would just say 'nojerk' or 'abjerk' or any other creative ways to make a word that still has 'jerk' in it to avoid getting it filtered.

So you start to see how complex this can get with countless swear words, hate speech, etc. across dozens of languages, with countless variations of each. Now add in government regulations to keep the game age 13+, it becomes an incredibly daunting task.

And when people were saying "just make a better filter" for Global Chat, hopefully this illustrates that those comments were simply naive and unrealistic.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Pro Member
    So the filter algorithm isn't programmed by us. It's a program that we use, and it requires some complex tweaking. We're still working some of the weird kinks in it as for some reason it keeps filtering mundane words like the ones you listed above.

Unfortunately, because we're an international company, it also looks at how some words are offensive in other languages and not just English. For example, while the word 'vinegar' is fairly harmless. It's a cooking ingredient. However, components of the word can be used as a racial epithet which requires some filtering in certain languages and it will not distinguish between using the racial epithet vs. the harmless 'vinegar'. Otherwise people would just mask the profane word by adding letters to the front or back of it to try and bypass the filter algorithm.

Automatic language filtering/censorship is incredibly complex. It's not simply about adding words to a list because lists are limited. Let's say we wanted to filter the word 'jerk'. So we would have to think of every single iteration that can be used to spell it, like j3rk, jer|<, j3|2K, etc. etc.

There are countless ways to do it and even if we accounted for every single variation, creative players would just come up with new ways or other innuendo to still say the same thing. Using the 'vinegar' example, if someone said 'funjerk' because the word 'jerk' is still a part of it, it will get censored. If we didn't censor it, then people would just say 'nojerk' or 'abjerk' or any other creative ways to make a word that still has 'jerk' in it to avoid getting it filtered.

So you start to see how complex this can get with countless swear words, hate speech, etc. across dozens of languages, with countless variations of each. Now add in government regulations to keep the game age 13+, it becomes an incredibly daunting task.

And when people were saying "just make a better filter" for Global Chat, hopefully this illustrates that those comments were simply naive and unrealistic.
    I do thank you for responding. I'm sure there is so much behind the scenes that Supercell and your partners you contract with have to do to maintain the games on a world wide basis. Many of my comments here on the forum are the result of the loss of global. Many of my posts are meant to be in jest!
    I won't ever be a gamer. I play clash only. The main reason I began was because of global chat. Worked an overnight job with some time to kill. Love a bit of banter! I will likely always play clash as I have formed friendships within the game. I do miss the ability to make new friends. And will miss the forum for the same reason.

Thanks for some new ways to call someone a jerk! I can't wait to use these on my na´ve coworkers!!
    Last edited by SumoSloth; May 12th, 2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Signature provided by Terminus Prime

Best thing is when you have the ultimate combo:
    "USA under 16 yo member clan" + Chinese clients of the game (where words like "test" and "games" are censored)
    It basically makes the clan chat totally unusable. Not ***ingle sentence c** be shown n*****ly.
    Last edited by Sakat; May 13th, 2021 at 05:26 AM.
    Your clan performances during CWL? Easily grab stats with SCS
    ===>More info on the official thread<===

I do wonder, how does SC decide how someone is Under 16 when making an account in the USA?
    You really want some bread? Then go ahead create a set of goals
and cross em off your list as you pursue em

Usnavi

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Minley View Post
    I do wonder, how does SC decide how someone is Under 16 when making an account in the USA?
    They have to enter their age when joining, since that same update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    They have to enter their age when joining, since that same update.
    This maybe a bit dumb........but whats stopping those people to enter the incorrect age i.e more than 16.
    The same thing that young people with facebook accounts have been doing for ages.
    Is there any verification for the age that user have entered?

I am wondering just because i see so many people on forums , twitter and in game talking about ridiculous chat censoring after that update which means thousands of new accounts have been created in us region by people below age of 16 after the update.

So , if they just need to enter age then if every minor of us entered his/her age as 16+ then this problem could be completely solved !?
    I am also shocked that people enter their actual age in games because i ve seen so many little kids using fb ' insta and other social media platforms nowadays by entering incorrect age.
    Becauase you know most of social media platforms have a 18+ requirement.
    Last edited by Rhodesway31; May 13th, 2021 at 03:53 PM.