Thread: Valks got a new level but still stink in so many ways

Trainee

Valks got a new level but still stink in so many ways

Hello everyone,

Here to talk about Valks and their continual non-being relevant in the most common attacks strategies since their major downfall with th12 first and th13 then.

Probably many don't care about them but since they are my favorite troop I try to create many and new original ways to use them both in war and in ranked.

So, with this buff (new level) are they finally viable at th14??
    NO. They are not viable in any way. And let me say this first before you all say it: I know that is pretty much too soon to say anything since most don't have maxed based and maxed army, heroes and pers to have a fair saying about them. But I have tried them in many armies and they still feel like butter against even th13 defence.

No matter the number of Valks and the number of healing option used Valks aren't able to survive more than 1/3 of the total time during any attacks. Its kinda underwhelming fast they die and how much times they tend to disperse making their total DPS less relevant during the attacks.

They still need a buff even more than before since on the future more and more levels of defence will be add making them even less effective. Of course don't get me wrong I and everyone don't need a buff that let mass Valks attacks to be actually OP but a buff that let them be actually strong and not only a funneling troops like baby d ay best.

Millennial Club
    I use them Valks regularly as main troops, they are strong enough (not OP, not weak either). The Valks are unique in that movement speed, attack style, that they need wider funnel to work, and also combination with other troops like Pekka (as tank), Miners or Hog Rider (as 2nd attackers), to make them work better.

As said above the first weakness of Valks attack is funnel. They have pretty fast movement speed when compare to other ground troops, thus make them targeted by the defenses pretty fast, but they are not exactly tank like Golems or Yeti. So you need to set up proper and wide funnel, before you deploy the group of Valks. In other words, when deployed the Valks have no other choice but to move in one direction (to the core of the base) and target the same few buildings, making their attacks count before too many defenses attack them. Of course you need to have GW to support them with Life Aura, then Rage, Healing Spell, Siege Machine (WW or LL), other attacking troops (PEKKA, Miners, Hog Rider) to support them reach the core of the base.

Then it comes to the second weakness which is Walls. After your Valks destroyed the core of the base, they will try to move to another compartments by trying to destroy the walls usually. This is not effective since high level walls will take a long time for them Valks to pass through. I usually use a Jump Spell to direct them to the compartments I want them to go after the core. The key is again speed to destroy the defenses before those defense dealt too much damage on your Valks.

An additional thing is, base design matters. When Buildings are spread out with space in between, it will reduce the impact of Valkyries splash damage attack, this base design is impacting the effectiveness of Valks attack. When compare to Valks, Bowler and E-Drags have better range of multiple buildings attacks, thus making them a more safer option than Valks. It's not the Valks issue, but Base Designs had adjusted to prevent Valks, Bowlers, E-Drags to be very effective.
    Last edited by Mercfovia87; May 6th, 2021 at 09:33 AM.

Trainee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercfovia87 View Post
    I use them Valks regularly as main troops, they are strong enough (not OP, not weak either). The Valks are unique in that movement speed, attack style, that they need wider funnel to work, and also combination with other troops like Pekka (as tank), Miners or Hog Rider (as 2nd attackers), to make them work better.

As said above the first weakness of Valks attack is funnel. They have pretty fast movement speed when compare to other ground troops, thus make them targeted by the defenses pretty fast, but they are not exactly tank like Golems or Yeti. So you need to set up proper and wide funnel, before you deploy the group of Valks. In other words, when deployed the Valks have no other choice but to move in one direction (to the core of the base) and target the same few buildings, making their attacks count before too many defenses attack them. Of course you need to have GW to support them with Life Aura, then Rage, Healing Spell, Siege Machine (WW or LL), other attacking troops (PEKKA, Miners, Hog Rider) to support them reach the core of the base.

Then it comes to the second weakness which is Walls. After your Valks destroyed the core of the base, they will try to move to another compartments by trying to destroy the walls usually. This is not effective since high level walls will take a long time for them Valks to pass through. I usually use a Jump Spell to direct them to the compartments I want them to go after the core. The key is again speed to destroy the defenses before those defense dealt too much damage on your Valks.

An additional thing is, base design matters. When Buildings are spread out with space in between, it will reduce the impact of Valkyries splash damage attack, this base design is impacting the effectiveness of Valks attack. When compare to Valks, Bowler and E-Drags have better range of multiple buildings attacks, thus making them a more safer option than Valks. It's not the Valks issue, but Base Designs had adjusted to prevent Valks, Bowlers, E-Drags to be very effective.
    I know basically all of this since I have pretty much used them in every single possible army composition. But still having them basically be only as a funnel option at this point is pretty much a sad way to give them some kind of utility since basicaly at higher level of gameplay basically any other troops has better potential to achieve the same thing.

Don't get me wrong I know they have potential but having them in the army is more of an handicap than anything else. I use between 7-13 valks in order to clean singular compartament of enemy bases with the help of royale Champion or other ranged troops to achieve the the most tunnel possible for my pekkas and heroes but oh boi of much is depressing seeing them dissaper like nothing after going through a couple of giant bomb and some splash damage from defence sometimes mailing to achieve even the minimum requirement to call a good funnel.

I just want them to be tankier not faster or stronger. I don't know if i am clear.

Forum Elder
    IMO they need less housing space. IDK how OP '6 housing' would make them, but that is what I think they need to be more useful and still not OP. I think that number is compatible for other army types as well. at least in theory..

I dont tend to use them cause I think they are too squishy for their current housing, and too fast for support tanks and Healers and IMO spells get wasted on them too; but I dont think a reduction in speed is the answer for them. see above housing comment.

Cheers and Good bye forums (soon).

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsuspiciousguy View Post
    I just want them to be tankier not faster or stronger. I don't know if i am clear.
    This here is why I always call what many called the valk buff, a nerf. The hp of the level 4 (maxed pre update) was reduced to what level 1 was pre update while receiving a faster first swing and a small dps boost. Bases at the time also weren't ready to handle valks so when people tried them out to see what the change did, it made them look really useful now even though their survivability got drastically reduced. This is also why valks couldn't last long in that meta, hp was low and bases adjusted. Now because of edrags, most bases have some standard design to stop chain damage which also stops valks from being as strong.

I agree they need to be tankier to be used as a main troop. Unless they get more health they will stay as a support troop. I'd also be willing to take less of health buff if they added range to the ground attack. "They swing their ax so fast they create razor like winds." Basically they could hit a 2 tile gap that's not interrupted by walls. This small rework would make them slightly more useful as a funnel troop, coupled with a small hp buff and they could potentially have their time back in the meta.
    Last edited by chased123456; May 6th, 2021 at 05:09 PM.

I don't remember the last time I tried using Valkyries in any decent attack strategy (as of now have a maxed 11), except in cases where I need them for the siege barracks.

I see Valks as a troop between support and main force. I have seen them used effectively in sui hero attacks, where the skeleton traps become problematic for the heroes. This situation is similar to headhunter's use against defending heroes, but HHs are almost objectively the better supporting troop. Valkryies have also been frequently used with the siege barracks, probably because of their fast movement speed that is important in ensuring the safety of the siege barrack's wizards. [I am referring to tournament streams I have been watching, mostly commentated by Clash with Eric.]

As the main force of an attack, I do think they are not effective right now. As you have mentioned they do die very fast, and their fast movement speed is one thing to blame. I wonder if they are best used as a sui troop that only needs the Warden. They can't function similar to pekka smash attacks because of their low hp and fast movement speed, so the housing space used for the healers and ranged support could be used for something else.

Here's a relevant image: [Hp and dps per space of high hp ground troops] https://lamangwren.files.wordpress.c...n_warden-1.jpg

--------------

I don't agree that Valks are not viable in any way. I do think they are underwhelming and could need a little buff to one or more of their attributes.

worthless

since theyre also rarely seen in the championships, id say its true they are somewhat worthless. They dont work with the a lot of the troops concepts.

Banned
    Valks were my main troop when I was in th9, but not sure how they are now. Even those days valks were alright for a th9 where you can send them inside a base with a little bit of funnelling, but they weren't that much controllable against a th10 or above.

Valks were my go to troop as a TH9 and 10, once 11 came along with the Eagle it started to get more difficult, now with the addition of more walls and more splash defences Valks have gone the way of the dodo bird at the higher levels