Results 1 to 8 of 8

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Builder Base defense "firecrackers" should be renamed "fireworks"

  1. #1
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    6

    Builder Base defense "firecrackers" should be renamed "fireworks"

    "Firecrackers" are little ones that blow up on the ground, like black cats and whatnot. "Fireworks" are the ones that that shoot up in the sky and blow up.

    To me it's a no-brainer to rename this BB defense fireworks. Supercell has very good wording and English in almost every aspect of the game but to me this weird firecrackers misnomer really sounds like it's lost in translation from Finnish to English. And I consider myself an expert on English, lol, it may be the only language I know but I understand its ins and outs intimately haha...

  2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollz View Post
    "Firecrackers" are little ones that blow up on the ground, like black cats and whatnot. "Fireworks" are the ones that that shoot up in the sky and blow up.

    To me it's a no-brainer to rename this BB defense fireworks. Supercell has very good wording and English in almost every aspect of the game but to me this weird firecrackers misnomer really sounds like it's lost in translation from Finnish to English. And I consider myself an expert on English, lol, it may be the only language I know but I understand its ins and outs intimately haha...
    Well I've never heard that distinction, and am British, and have lived in the UK all my life.

    Fireworks includes all types, whether air bursting or not. Firecrackers are fireworks. They tend to mean ones that are ground based, but they may well be firing things into the air.

  3. #3
    Forum Legend Piper139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Well I've never heard that distinction, and am British, and have lived in the UK all my life.

    Fireworks includes all types, whether air bursting or not. Firecrackers are fireworks. They tend to mean ones that are ground based, but they may well be firing things into the air.
    Was wondering about that. Here in the US, firecrackers are exclusively the ground variety. Fireworks is ambiguous. It can mean all types or a fireworks display like the big aerial ones. I call those artillery shells or mortars.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

  4. #4
    Pro Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Climbing Mt. Ebott
    Posts
    597
    I think firecrackers is an aptly named defense, for the projectile looks more like a firecracker, a tiny, colorful explosive, than a firework, the heavy-duty pyrotechnics the air defense fires.

  5. #5
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    6
    Well in the states the distinction is definitely a thing, as piper139 confirms. But I was unaware that it wasn't on that side of the pond. So, if you saw one shoot up in the sky and blow up you might turn to your kid and say: "wow, look at the firecracker?" Over here that would come off a bit odd, but to each their own.

    On the point about the projectile looking like a firecracker, ok yeah I never really looked at it like that. I guess it does look a bit like a firecracker. I still feel fireworks would be more suitable but that point makes me feel less strongly about it either way.

    I just made another post about Battle Machine "modes." Any feedback over there would be much appreciated...
    Last edited by Rollz; May 5th, 2021 at 12:19 AM.

  6. #6
    Open 24 Hours
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    New Delhi, India, Asia, The Earth, The Solar System, Milkyway galaxy
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Well I've never heard that distinction, and am British, and have lived in the UK all my life.

    Fireworks includes all types, whether air bursting or not. Firecrackers are fireworks. They tend to mean ones that are ground based, but they may well be firing things into the air.
    Yes here in India we refer firecracker or fireworks to the same thing, that bursts and releases colours regardless of where they burst. (India follows British English so I think this must he the reason, like we call it neighbour instead of neighbor)

  7. #7
    rowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper" T S Eliot
    Posts
    12,184
    You made me look! Checked the dictionary definitions for both fireworks and firecrackers. What they have in common is that they are for show, used for entertainment purposes. So my vote is neither! Could not imagine Key penning "And the firework's red glare, the firecrackers bursting in air". It is a defense, they fire rockets, arial bombs, flax, shrapnel, but not fireworks nor firecrackers.

  8. #8
    Tollboothwillie
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollz View Post
    Well in the states the distinction is definitely a thing, as piper139 confirms. But I was unaware that it wasn't on that side of the pond. So, if you saw one shoot up in the sky and blow up you might turn to your kid and say: "wow, look at the firecracker?" Over here that would come off a bit odd, but to each their own.

    On the point about the projectile looking like a firecracker, ok yeah I never really looked at it like that. I guess it does look a bit like a firecracker. I still feel fireworks would be more suitable but that point makes me feel less strongly about it either way.

    I just made another post about Battle Machine "modes." Any feedback over there would be much appreciated...
    Must be a regional thing because I've only known them as ground or aerial. Even phantom fireworks website call them ground/air. Every Dec/Jan and Jun/Jul I drive by an ungodly amount of fireworks stands never seen one say we have fireworks & firecrackers.

    It's all in where you live just like crayfish and crawfish different words but same good eats. ☺️

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •