Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Spectating Feature

  1. #1
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5

    Lightbulb Spectating Feature

    Adding a feature where players can select whether or not others on their friends list or clan list can spectate when someone's in a battle would be great.

    Ideas:
    1. An option in the settings that allows players to turn spectating on and off.
    2. It still shows that a player is attacking but when someone clicks "Watch", something pops up, for example, "Cannot watch. ____ spectating option is off."

    Edit:
    This feature would be good for multiplayer battles, but for war, everyone should be able to watch. If you don't want others to watch you in war then they can just not opt into war.
    Last edited by kmunoz; May 4th, 2021 at 06:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,266
    +infinity from me.
    I hate, despise, and loathe the fact that people, whom I didn't give permission too, can view my attacks. This should apply to all attacks too: multi-player and war.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    +infinity from me.
    I hate, despise, and loathe the fact that people, whom I didn't give permission too, can view my attacks. This should apply to all attacks too: multi-player and war.
    I get that its not fun but I feel you hate it less if you can't see they are.

    I think this idea isn't the right solution. I think just being able to hide the spectator icon would go a lot farther than an option to block people completely.

  4. #4
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by chased123456 View Post
    I get that its not fun but I feel you hate it less if you can't see they are.

    I think this idea isn't the right solution. I think just being able to hide the spectator icon would go a lot farther than an option to block people completely.
    Wouldn't matter.
    My attacks are private to me, thus the ability for people to view my attacks is a violation of said privacy.

    The ability to view attacks should be an option that a player can toggle on/off.
    The only time a player should be permitted to view an attack is the person getting attacked in a multi-player attack, regardless if this is toggled on/off.


    I realize some players like/use this feature, but for me I don't like my privacy being violated.
    Last edited by joemann8478; May 4th, 2021 at 12:38 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    Wouldn't matter.
    My attacks are private to me, thus the ability for people to view my attacks is a violation of said privacy.

    The ability to view attacks should be an option that a player can toggle on/off.
    The only time a player should be permitted to view an attack is the person getting attacked in a multi-player attack, regardless if this is toggled on/off.


    I realize some players like/use this feature, but for me I don't like my privacy being violated.
    Since you insist this is a debate on privacy, let's talk about how private your public business is. You decided to log onto an online game and conduct an attack against another person's base. Instantly you have chose to make this matter between more than just yourself. Your attack that you think should be private can now be shared with that person's clan without your permission. They might record the attack and upload it to YouTube to show what happens when people attack their base. By attacking in general you created a very public action that you have little control over whats done with it. That attack becomes data to supercell to decision make with. We could continue discussing 3rd party uses this thread isn't about but I think you get why attacking isn't private.

    Given that attacking isn't private to begin with, instead of hopelessly attempting to limit the people who can watch, I go back to my proposal and vote for hiding the icon so we can pretend no one can see the attack.

  6. #6
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by chased123456 View Post
    Since you insist this is a debate on privacy, let's talk about how private your public business is. You decided to log onto an online game and conduct an attack against another person's base. Instantly you have chose to make this matter between more than just yourself. Your attack that you think should be private can now be shared with that person's clan without your permission. They might record the attack and upload it to YouTube to show what happens when people attack their base. By attacking in general you created a very public action that you have little control over whats done with it. That attack becomes data to supercell to decision make with. We could continue discussing 3rd party uses this thread isn't about but I think you get why attacking isn't private.

    Given that attacking isn't private to begin with, instead of hopelessly attempting to limit the people who can watch, I go back to my proposal and vote for hiding the icon so we can pretend no one can see the attack.
    Attacking was actually mostly private to begin with as spectating was not put into the game until years after its launch.
    As far as what others do (posting attacks on various internet platforms, etc.) I have no control over that.

    Here's my respone in the "Taunting" thread:
    "Players used to not be able to spectate. Spectating was a feature added into the game long after its initial launch; we're talking years after its launch.

    When I first started playing CoC, spectating was not a thing. So yes, in fact, when SC added in the ability to spectate attacks, they, in some ways, violated my (and others') privacy.

    I rather enjoyed the fact that other players couldn't view my attacks, and now that such privacy has been violated, it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    Attacking was actually mostly private to begin with as spectating was not put into the game until years after its launch.
    As far as what others do (posting attacks on various internet platforms, etc.) I have no control over that.

    Here's my respone in the "Taunting" thread:
    "Players used to not be able to spectate. Spectating was a feature added into the game long after its initial launch; we're talking years after its launch.

    When I first started playing CoC, spectating was not a thing. So yes, in fact, when SC added in the ability to spectate attacks, they, in some ways, violated my (and others') privacy.

    I rather enjoyed the fact that other players couldn't view my attacks, and now that such privacy has been violated, it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth."
    So in other words its never been private, you just felt like it was to the point you are still convinced to this day that it was even though it was still very public. But now you can see its not private and that upsets you even though its always been public. You want to be able to pretend its not public so you support this feature.

    My idea still gives that same illusion of privacy and would be a much better neutral ground than blocking spectating since its still not private even if we block spectating. Unless you can prove that you had 100% control over viewing or use of your attacks, you won't be able to prove it was ever private. So let's stop going in circles.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    74
    I guess it shouldn't be added to clan wars or friendly challenges, but yes it would be great to add it to multiplayer battle. I have got some people in my friend list who come to watch me spam baby drags also. It sometimes looks weird. When some of them continuously do it, I have no option other than unfriending them.
    It would be better if we could just turn if off for all(if they don't want us to choose specific players), so that I/we don't have to unfriend people at least as the last possible choice.

  9. #9
    Fresh Spawn
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5
    I agree. I don't necessarily think it's that serious, but sometimes it's good for farming attacks. They can ask for replays. I don't like when people watch my attacks because of that eye that pops up. It feels like there's someone looking at me.

  10. #10
    Millennial Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by chased123456 View Post
    So in other words its never been private, you just felt like it was to the point you are still convinced to this day that it was even though it was still very public. But now you can see its not private and that upsets you even though its always been public. You want to be able to pretend its not public so you support this feature.

    My idea still gives that same illusion of privacy and would be a much better neutral ground than blocking spectating since its still not private even if we block spectating. Unless you can prove that you had 100% control over viewing or use of your attacks, you won't be able to prove it was ever private. So let's stop going in circles.

    How's it never been private?

    I said, "mostly private" meaning that the person you were attacking in multi-player could watch the attack and only that person; no one else.
    As for war, those attacks should never be viewable until after the attack, unless the player has the option to "live view" attacks turned on (and yes, this should be an option).

    The fact is, I don't like people violating my privacy by spectating my attack live. Once the attack is done, I don't care, but during the attack, I hate, despise, and loathe the feature.
    If people are so desperate to watch my war attack, they can darn well wait until its over then watch it to their hearts content. If they want to see one of my multi-player attacks, they can ask nicely for me to post some, otherwise, they don't have and never had my permissions to watch my attacks live.
    Now do you see where I'm coming from?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •