Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Important Announcement

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #641
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterEdy View Post
    I second this, and there were numerous other threads and ideas that contributed to the development of the game that came from the forums.
    I don't disagree with the sentiments and statements given. The quality of the discussions on the forums has been quite beneficial. There is not a single doubt about that, nor does anyone at Supercell disagree with that statement. Many of the discussions here have made a direct impact on the game.

However, as community managers, we also have to look at not just the quality of the discussion but also how do we reach larger amounts of players. So yes, quantity does factor into this equation...it can't be avoided. As messengers of the game teams, we have to look at what is the best way for us to communicate our messages to the widest audiences possible and of all our communication platforms, the forums has the smallest reach. And while the quality of the discussions here is far higher than say Facebook or Instagram, unfortunately comparing quality vs quantity is an equation that doesn't come into the picture.

Additionally, let's say the forums didn't exist. That would make reddit the next probable location where we would have in depth discussions regarding game topics. It is not outside the realm of possibility that any game-contributing discussions could just have likely taken place there. Once the forums are gone, it's likely reddit will be the source to have back and forth discussions between the Clash team and the community.

As I said, no one is happy with the forums shutting down. None of us are cheering for this, nor are we celebrating it. We're not asking you to be happy about it either. It's ok to be angry/salty/upset/frustrated over it as I share that sentiment with you. I am going to miss everyone's shenanigans here.

But like you, I will find another medium to have discussions with the community, whether it's over reddit, twitter, or any other platforms that may arise in the future and I truly hope you'll join us there even if the platform isn't your favorite one. Having A platform to converse is still better than not having ANY platform for discussion.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    I don't disagree with the sentiments and statements given. The quality of the discussions on the forums has been quite beneficial. There is not a single doubt about that, nor does anyone at Supercell disagree with that statement. Many of the discussions here have made a direct impact on the game.

However, as community managers, we also have to look at not just the quality of the discussion but also how do we reach larger amounts of players. So yes, quantity does factor into this equation...it can't be avoided. As messengers of the game teams, we have to look at what is the best way for us to communicate our messages to the widest audiences possible and of all our communication platforms, the forums has the smallest reach. And while the quality of the discussions here is far higher than say Facebook or Instagram, unfortunately comparing quality vs quantity is an equation that doesn't come into the picture.

Additionally, let's say the forums didn't exist. That would make reddit the next probable location where we would have in depth discussions regarding game topics. It is not outside the realm of possibility that any game-contributing discussions could just have likely taken place there. Once the forums are gone, it's likely reddit will be the source to have back and forth discussions between the Clash team and the community.

As I said, no one is happy with the forums shutting down. None of us are cheering for this, nor are we celebrating it. We're not asking you to be happy about it either. It's ok to be angry/salty/upset/frustrated over it as I share that sentiment with you. I am going to miss everyone's shenanigans here.

But like you, I will find another medium to have discussions with the community, whether it's over reddit, twitter, or any other platforms that may arise in the future and I truly hope you'll join us there even if the platform isn't your favorite one. Having A platform to converse is still better than not having ANY platform for discussion.
    Does it cost money to run the forums?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #643
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemanlikespie View Post
    Does it cost money to run the forums?
    It may not be an obvious answer, but yes. Server costs and maintenance. Database maintenance and costs, security, and more. The forums have to be hosted somewhere, and that requires money. But if it were just a money thing then it wouldn't be an issue.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Kitty
    It may not be an obvious answer, but yes. Server costs and maintenance. Database maintenance and costs, security, and more. The forums have to be hosted somewhere, and that requires money. But if it were just a money thing then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Oh! I guess all good things must come to an end.

When i first started playing this game, there was a link ingame to the forums.

Many years ago, i didnt know what twitter or facebook was back then, or even if it existed.then many years passed and that link was removed (no explanation given) i was disappointed to see, but I thought oh well I’ll just add a book mark to my browser.

Then a few years ago the forum link was added in game again, but quickly removed in the next update.

can you please explain why this happened?

And i wont find another medium for discussion, because there simply isn’t one.

lost count of how many years i have played this game but im coming to the end now, but it seems obvious that supercell doesnt care, the forums have and still is a great way of just finding stuff out and helping others who dont know stuff, explain how other mediums/ platforms can do this?
    Last edited by nerrad2; May 12th, 2021 at 08:23 PM.

This is so sad but as a longtime lurker, this forum was at its peak during the days of engineering.

Centennial Club
    With respect (and I mean that genuinely) how is it not just a money thing? I can understand it if it is a money thing. If itís not just a money thing I do not understand it (and I say that as someone with 20+ years experience as an accountant). Interested to know SCs thinking - appreciate it wonít change anything. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gindie View Post
    With respect (and I mean that genuinely) how is it not just a money thing? I can understand it if it is a money thing. If it’s not just a money thing I do not understand it (and I say that as someone with 20+ years experience as an accountant). Interested to know SCs thinking - appreciate it won’t change anything. Cheers
    It is a cost benefit analysis. And I speak as an accountant with same amount of experience. Just think they didn't weigh the benefit enough....

Come swing your pants at Very Hard. We love Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows

Thanks to TerMinus Prime for signature.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Gindie View Post
    With respect (and I mean that genuinely) how is it not just a money thing? I can understand it if it is a money thing. If itís not just a money thing I do not understand it (and I say that as someone with 20+ years experience as an accountant). Interested to know SCs thinking - appreciate it wonít change anything. Cheers
    My reading of everything written, especially by Darian, is that the single driving reason for this is the impending developing legal requirements on data storage and security, which are being implemented and developed by multiple nations. These new rules apparently are impacting company side-owned services first, ahead of discord, reddit, facebook. These new rules create auditing requirements at the trouble and expense of the forum owner. Worst of all, the rules are variable with nation and with time, and the headache factor is overwhelming to the small SuperCell staff base.

I predict that these headaches will later impact discord and reddit, which I consider far greater risk to users than these forums, and then the battles will weave in facebook and google, and there will be almighty legal battles, and google/facebook/reddit/discord negotiation tactics like withdrawing services from individual nations, and then later things will settle down. Later, there will be an agree international code, and compliance and audit headaches will settle, and new turn-key forum software will become more attractive, and a new SuperCell official forum will appear. I predict a new forum, but it may be a few years, but it will be before the end of CoC.

Forum All-Star
    That's nice to hear. It was a large part of the motivation to contribute.

Doesn't come into the picture?

Discussion must be two way, to be effective.

I think the forums were by far the most effective way to complete the circle of outreach via all platforms to feedback to SuperCell continuing to discussion.

Very few came to the forums to answer the outreach, but some did, and the few who did were well clued into how the larger community received the outreach, and the concerns of the larger community.

We know that the DEVs received information feed back into the forums, even though the DEVs never posted anything. We learned from moderators, and then from Darian, that information posted to the forums was read, and we could tell directly from updates that information posted on the forums had impact. It was working.

Let's see how Reddit works.

It would help, probably, if you replied at Reddit, and pointed to the thread from here.

The seven stages of grief are progressing.