Page 34 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Important Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    It isn't directly about the cost. They can't just let the forums carry on as they are. There are just too many security hoes in software which is way out of date, and past end-of-life support by the manufacturer.

So it is a choice of close them, or migrate them to newer software.

And unfortunately, they have decided that the combination of cost and effort required for that migration is not worthwhile for the numbers participating.
    Can't agree with you here, it is directly about the cost. If there were 20k active users on the forum, that might be the threshold to make it a viable solution to migrate the forums to a new platform. All it would take is $$, purchase a license for new software, hire an IT guy/gal to do the work and it is done.

But what the reality is, that with a few hundred users it is not a viable solution for the investment to keep it going, and I can fully understand that.

So please don't tell us it is not about the costs associated to make the transition, since it most definitely is because the effort you are talking about is just those in charge to say, go hire an IT guy to get this done, which basically equates to $$ not spent wisely.
    Level: 266 | TH13
    Highest Trophy Count:5608 | Donations: 1.63 million | Hero Levels: 220

The smack talking clan war era will always be my favorite. Watched alot of them get banned over the years and at times felt a little survivor's guilt. Lol. I guess in the end we'll all feel the ban hammer!
    Last edited by Mudbugs; May 6th, 2021 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMdC92 View Post
    Don't try to understand the forums. It's a magical land of disagreement and ego self-inflation. Keep your head down and try to survive..

Centennial Club
    I joined forums very late and though I am not a regular, I just visit to get any game information, discussion about new updates and sometimes just go thru the posts. Not sure anywhere else we'll get a healthy discussion about the game. Good luck to everyone who made this a great place to interact and discuss.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #334
    Quote Originally Posted by Warios View Post
    Can't agree with you here, it is directly about the cost. If there were 20k active users on the forum, that might be the threshold to make it a viable solution to migrate the forums to a new platform. All it would take is $$, purchase a license for new software, hire an IT guy/gal to do the work and it is done.

But what the reality is, that with a few hundred users it is not a viable solution for the investment to keep it going, and I can fully understand that.

So please don't tell us it is not about the costs associated to make the transition, since it most definitely is because the effort you are talking about is just those in charge to say, go hire an IT guy to get this done, which basically equates to $$ not spent wisely.
    I said "directly", and I was responding to a post suggesting they could just allow the forums to continue as is until they naturally die off, saying that wouldn't cost much.

If it were just a case of continuing to pay for the servers, I am sure they would have done so. And even in the prospect of migration, I think it is more about the time and effort (which I know translates into cost) than about the actual cost of licence plus an IT team to carry out the migration.

Indirectly, sure, it boils down whether it is worthwhile spending that much money/time/effort on something with so few active users.

This can be the worst news after the epidemic
    Clash of clans levl 244 #9PUG22UPC

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #336
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I said "directly", and I was responding to a post suggesting they could just allow the forums to continue as is until they naturally die off, saying that wouldn't cost much.

If it were just a case of continuing to pay for the servers, I am sure they would have done so. And even in the prospect of migration, I think it is more about the time and effort (which I know translates into cost) than about the actual cost of licence plus an IT team to carry out the migration.

Indirectly, sure, it boils down whether it is worthwhile spending that much money/time/effort on something with so few active users.
    Ajax is correct in this. Unfortunately, due to various potential government investigations into data security we simply can't have the forums to run continuously in its current state without migrating to an updated platform and then doing an audit through multiple data security agencies to certify its security. We're talking high 6- to 7-digit costs for that, which would include paying a consultant to find a modern forum platform that's secure, a contract to migrate all of the data to the new platform, contracting a security agency to audit it, and then contracting with multiple government agencies to certify it. Were the forums as active as they were even a year or two ago, we'd happily do it. But we simply can't justify that for just a few hundred people.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakymaori View Post
    Wonder if I should do a reveal?...............
    still waiting for that reveal?

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Ajax is correct in this. Unfortunately, due to various potential government investigations into data security we simply can't have the forums to run continuously in its current state without migrating to an updated platform and then doing an audit through multiple data security agencies to certify its security. We're talking high 6- to 7-digit costs for that, which would include paying a consultant to find a modern forum platform that's secure, a contract to migrate all of the data to the new platform, contracting a security agency to audit it, and then contracting with multiple government agencies to certify it. Were the forums as active as they were even a year or two ago, we'd happily do it. But we simply can't justify that for just a few hundred people.
    SuperCell chose to not do it at that time already ... so this was in the works longer then, as asked/stated before?

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #339
    Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    SuperCell chose to not do it at that time already ... so this was in the works longer then, as asked/stated before?

Not sure what you mean by chose not to do it at that time already. If you're referencing when activity was higher, it's kind of a moot point as we weren't facing this current dilemma. The reason the forum status recently became an issue is because we had a convergence of all of these issues at once.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Not sure what you mean by chose not to do it at that time already. If you're referencing when activity was higher, it's kind of a moot point as we weren't facing this current dilemma. The reason the forum status recently became an issue is because we had a convergence of all of these issues at once.
    It was not done at the time it would have been more logical to do it - and probably cheaper as well ... and SuperCell also chose quite some time ago to no longer make people aware there were forums or invite them to post here: things would be different if those actions had not been taken. So: the choice was made a long time ago already, from these tidbits of information that are being revealed...