Page 67 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Important Announcement

Pro Member
    I just visited the other options.... Am I wrong or is it just one big page of threads in reddit. One big page of text in the others. With very little ability to navigate. I really like the way forum is set out. Man this sucks forum has always been my go to, to report a bug, ask a question. Or just to read peoples opinions. So sad they decided to do this. No words can express how this will make the game feel less alive and less of a community to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Wachichi View Post
    I just visited the other options.... Am I wrong or is it just one big page of threads in reddit. One big page of text in the others. With very little ability to navigate. I really like the way forum is set out. Man this sucks forum has always been my go to, to report a bug, ask a question. Or just to read peoples opinions. So sad they decided to do this. No words can express how this will make the game feel less alive and less of a community to me..
    You can subscribe to specific subreddits and filter by subreddits, but someone with more experience can give you better navigation info.

I'm also disappointed about the closing of the forums. I have learned more about the game here than anywhere else. This week will be my 7th anniversary on the forums yet I only have 33 posts. Definitely a lurker but I would visit several times a week. Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by msjacobsen View Post
    I'm also disappointed about the closing of the forums. I have learned more about the game here than anywhere else. This week will be my 7th anniversary on the forums yet I only have 33 posts. Definitely a lurker but I would visit several times a week. Thanks for the memories!
    And this is why the statistics posted are not the whole story, sadly

Come swing your pants at Very Hard. We love Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows

Thanks to TerMinus Prime for signature.

Honestly, just shut it down. Rip the bandaid. I'm deleting the bookmark. See you somewhere.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    That might be what a small forum costs, running one the size of this forum costs a lot more, but that cost is trivial, and not the reason why these forums are being closed.

It is the time and cost involved in auditing and making them compliant with GDPR and other similar regulations around the world that is the issue.

I (fairly obviously) hate the fact that the forums are going, but I do understand why hey are.

I get the reason it is closing, more of security purposes than money, although money plays its part obviously. I don't know anything about the legalities and how a forum works so I can’t speak on it with any sort of intelligence, so I guess the only question I can ask, and pardon me if it’s already been answered, maybe I’m just thick and have missed it, but my question is, is it a huge undertaking to take on such a task? I mean I guess it must be because that is the reason it is being shut down……..
    I will miss this place very much, it truly opened up a whole new gaming experience for me, it brought an animated impersonal game to actual life with real life people whom I have grown to be rather fond of…… and whom I could continually be a pita towards….. right Ajax
    it has been fun……..

Millennial Club
    Many forums did the work to get GDPR compliant in 2018. This isn't some unknowable, unsolvable problem. There is cost with this and obviously, it's up to SC on how they spend their money and time. But I would prefer up front reasons for closing the forum and not hiding behind world regulations that many other companies have figured out already or statistics that are clearly not apples to apples (Total social media accounts compared to active forum users, for example).
    Last edited by JediRisen; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:30 AM.

That might be what a small forum costs, running one the size of this forum costs a lot more, but that cost is trivial, and not the reason why these forums are being closed.

It is the time and cost involved in auditing and making them compliant with GDPR and other similar regulations around the world that is the issue.

I (fairly obviously) hate the fact that the forums are going, but I do understand why hey are.
    I find the statement that it is not about the money to be at least a LITTLE disingenuous (Supercell's statememt, not yours Ajax, just using your post to reply). If cost were no issue, Supercell could hire as many people as needed to keep up to date on the regulations. If it is the headache, the burdensome task could be outsourced...of course, likely at a substantial cost.

I understand the business decision...Supercell must weigh the cost/benefit and in this case determined that the cost (in $$$ and time) far outweighed the benefit. However whenever somebody says "it's not about the money"...usually it is about the money...in this case the willingness to spend what it takes to overcome the obstacles presented by keeping the forums open.

I will be sorry to see the forums go away, at the same time I am not angry that Supercell made the decision to close them. More disappointed. Pretty sure if I knew the costs involved I would be advising Supercell to close them down, too.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #669
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg39 View Post
    I find the statement that it is not about the money to be at least a LITTLE disingenuous (Supercell's statememt, not yours Ajax, just using your post to reply). If cost were no issue, Supercell could hire as many people as needed to keep up to date on the regulations. If it is the headache, the burdensome task could be outsourced...of course, likely at a substantial cost.

I understand the business decision...Supercell must weigh the cost/benefit and in this case determined that the cost (in $$$ and time) far outweighed the benefit. However whenever somebody says "it's not about the money"...usually it is about the money...in this case the willingness to spend what it takes to overcome the obstacles presented by keeping the forums open.

I will be sorry to see the forums go away, at the same time I am not angry that Supercell made the decision to close them. More disappointed. Pretty sure if I knew the costs involved I would be advising Supercell to close them down, too.
    They never made the bald statement "it isn't about the money". They said "it isn't JUST about the money".

Obviously, the cost does play a significant part in the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Because of the security concerns mentioned in the post. Leaving them in read only would require the account database to remain active even if posts cannot be made as it's part of the forums software. Multiple countries are starting to open up investigations into various companies regarding account security and given the outdated software we're using for these forums, it's a prime candidate to be investigated. Migrating to a new platform just for read-only posts is simply not a practical solution because of the costs involved in migrating all of the user info, and running numerous security certifications. We tried exploring that option as well.
    They never made the bald statement "it isn't about the money". They said "it isn't JUST about the money".

Obviously, the cost does play a significant part in the decision.
    What I read it is "simply not a practical solution because of the costs involved", why beat around the bush, it is about the money needed. And I'm not in disagreement with the path SC has chosen, it's the correct one for the number of players at actually affects.

This thread is a good example, just over 800 users have read it in the last 14 days, 600 replies guessing from maybe 200 users if that. $$ that would be required to keep the forums alive would be better spent somewhere else to impact more of the player base.

But just be honest, everything boils down to the money needed to keep something operational, and the forums is not one of those things.
    Level: 266 | TH13
    Highest Trophy Count:5608 | Donations: 1.63 million | Hero Levels: 220