Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Important Announcement

Humming "The Soft Goodbye" Please see my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    Ajax is correct in this. Unfortunately, due to various potential government investigations into data security we simply can't have the forums to run continuously in its current state without migrating to an updated platform and then doing an audit through multiple data security agencies to certify its security. We're talking high 6- to 7-digit costs for that, which would include paying a consultant to find a modern forum platform that's secure, a contract to migrate all of the data to the new platform, contracting a security agency to audit it, and then contracting with multiple government agencies to certify it. Were the forums as active as they were even a year or two ago, we'd happily do it. But we simply can't justify that for just a few hundred people.
    There are few hundred people using the Supercell forum?

Were I independently wealthy and a generous benefactor, I couldn't justify spending a high six figure cost to support a small community when the monies could be spent elsewhere on a worthy charity.

As they say in show business, it's a wrap.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; May 6th, 2021 at 07:49 AM.
    Dedicating "The Soft Goodbye" to the Supercell forums and the people who made it an awesome community, the brightest star in the evening sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVgb4pJMdI

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #342
    Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    It was not done at the time it would have been more logical to do it - and probably cheaper as well ... and SuperCell also chose quite some time ago to no longer make people aware there were forums or invite them to post here: things would be different if those actions had not been taken. So: the choice was made a long time ago already, from these tidbits of information that are being revealed...
    You're trying to find a conclusion from a faulty point of logic. I have never said this decision was made long ago. In fact I clearly said "recently became an issue" meaning this is something that only just recently was brought to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    There are few hundred people using the Supercell forum? Were I independently wealthy and a generous benefactor, I couldn't justify spending a high six figure cost to support a small community when the monies could be spent on a worthy charity.

As they say in show business, it's a wrap.
    Unfortunately, it's just a few hundred people across ALL our forums though the vast majority are Clash forum visitors.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakymaori View Post
    Just a quick point on this thread.
    This isn’t a gripe thread on prior mod actions or an opportunity to raise personal attacks on previous or current mods or staff , both won’t be tolerated so settle down.
    The forums closing and definitely will be missed but by no stretch of the imagination will current rules be flexed or broken, we will endeavour to represent the forum community in its best interests by following the rules and guidelines set forth.

If your here only to start something you can’t finish don’t bother, the community deserves better than that and we mods will ensure that the forum will close with all the fun and dignity that it deserves.

Many warm regards

Sneaky Ban Hammer Maori.
    Sneaky is angry guys. Let's calm down.

You're trying to find a conclusion from a faulty point of logic. I have never said this decision was made long ago. In fact I clearly said "recently became an issue" meaning this is something that only just recently was brought to our attention.

Unfortunately, it's just a few hundred people across ALL our forums though the vast majority are Clash forum visitors.
    Hey Darian, can you make something similar like this forums on some other platform. I am not telling to migrate forums but just create something for us forumers. All other big boy social media that you guys have are intimidating considering the scale of your company.

Just a suggestion.

Forum All-Star
    Ajax is correct in this. Unfortunately, due to various potential government investigations into data security we simply can't have the forums to run continuously in its current state without migrating to an updated platform and then doing an audit through multiple data security agencies to certify its security. We're talking high 6- to 7-digit costs for that, which would include paying a consultant to find a modern forum platform that's secure, a contract to migrate all of the data to the new platform, contracting a security agency to audit it, and then contracting with multiple government agencies to certify it. Were the forums as active as they were even a year or two ago, we'd happily do it. But we simply can't justify that for just a few hundred people.
    None of that means that you can't do a Clash of Clans forum restart. A fresh site clean restart. Fresh registrations. Forward looking only. Less sub-forums (I count 22 currently). Only do what doesn't work well on Discord/Reddit/YouTube etc.

I think you should restart with four forums, dropping 18. Less is more. The four are:

1. Announcements (surely, there has to be a supercell owned linkable reference for announcements). Announcements could go on FaceBook and Twitter, but the substance of the announcement belongs on a real website.

2. Bugs and Problems. Surely this is valuable feedback, and like #1, for reference for known problems, responses and fixes. The community is essential for helping with solutions, but SuperCell needs to own the discussion and results.

3. Ideas and Feature Requests. Reduce to "Feature Requests", and send "Ideas" to "Contests". So many very good ideas seem to ave improved the game having come through this route. Ideas? Ideas can be requested anywhere, any forum, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, and idea brainstorming does not require the formality and rules of a SuperCell owned site. Also, Idea events can still be run in "Clash of Clans Contests"

4. Clash of Clans Contests. Advertise these feedback-enticing events everywhere, but when you run a contest you have to own the site. Note that sneaky but essential rule, that anything posted belongs to SuperCell; by posting you forego all IP rights.

Drop the forums that do not need to be owned and controlled by you. These are:

* Clan talk (4 subforums). Discord, Reddit, they seem to be all transient talk, not for indefinite reference
    * Off topic (3 subforums). Sounds like a job for FaceBook
    * Forum Rules (1). Merge into announcements, not really a forum, and go easy on rules, too many decrease their effectiveness. Contract the writing of "rules" to whoever wrote your April 15, 2021 Privacy Policy, as they know how to communicate.
    * General (5 of 6 subforums) /Base Design, AMAs. Tactics and Strategy, Bulider Base. All these are probably better on Reddit, all transient talk.
    * Content Creation (4 subforums)

Renovations can be expensive, more expensive than a knock down and rebuild, and even then the renovations carry old problems.
    Knock down rebuild? Why knock down? Buy a new plot and build what you need according to modern standards.
    Last edited by George1971; May 6th, 2021 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Montapegenesis View Post
    Hey Darian, can you make something similar like this forums on some other platform. I am not telling to migrate forums but just create something for us forumers. All other big boy social media that you guys have are intimidating considering the scale of your company.

Just a suggestion.
    But considering they find a forum platform, wouldn't they still have to pay the audit prices etc.
    You really want some bread? Then go ahead create a set of goals
and cross em off your list as you pursue em

Usnavi

Belgium, a beautiful town. Here, you can find the best Fries, chocolate, beer and waffles ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montapegenesis View Post

Just a suggestion.
    I am sure that all options have been discussed before this thread was made.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Minley View Post
    But considering they find a forum platform, wouldn't they still have to pay the audit prices etc.
    Audit prices assume they try to carry old user data forward. A cheap alternative is a complete restart from a blank sheet.

Forum All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Be A Legend View Post
    Options count can tend to infinity, and certainly beyond the effective concentration time of a small number of people in committee.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #350
    Quote Originally Posted by Be A Legend View Post
    Indeed it was. If we simply moved to another platform, chances are there would be large swathes of people who wouldn't migrate to the new one which would mean even further reduced users. Additionally, we would still be faced with the same logistical issues that led to this point to begin with, which would be contracting a consultant to find a secure platform, securely migrating the data, having multiple security audits, getting governmental certification (the Finnish government is incredibly adamant about data security. Like crazy thorough).

Again, if we still had tens of thousands of users every day, we could justify the 6 to 7-digit price tag. But you're asking for that kind of investment for just a few hundred people. And I'm talking under 300 people. Even if I could do it, there is no finance team in the world no matter what company that would ok such an investment for such a small group of people.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.