Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Important Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Cilakila View Post
    I said three things in the discord room; think it was "this is not at all like global" and "I dunno if I like this" then "nope, not my thing". I did see your name in there somewhere, or maybe it was reddit?

I tried. Will try again. Probably.
    Did you try the subreddit discord or the new one stickied in general?

This is just sad

Hi

For the record, there has been an FESG discord server for ages now, where some nice people roam. Some familiar forum names. And so far, hardly any moderation was needed. Used to be a forum e-sports place but we gave up on that

It is no replacement for the forums, but a nice place to meet eachother. Feel free to drop by (as long as friendly )

Lurking somewhere. Why can’t we smirk in here?
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    Thank you Tahoe for sharing the above insight. I was wondering how the tone of Discord compares to the forum's. It's indeed a revelation for you to observe how forumites respond in a less moderated environment.

Kudos to them for not trying to conceal their true personalities so we may make an accurate assessment of Discord. I won't be a good fit because I prefer to communicate with words and sentences instead of emojis.
    WALL incoming...sorry, not sorry, lol.

I’m kind of on the fence, still, and reserving judgement for a while longer. Discord is just a medium for interaction. It is what we make it.

———

I have been a part of two groups of forumers, off-forums at one point or another over the years.

One group I left after not too terribly long iirc, because a few people were being kind of just jerks in general and even quite mean-spirited to me, directly, on occasion—doing things they knew would irritate me just to irritate me, lol. (They were a younger crowd, so I was kind of the fish out of water there.) I decided I didn’t need to subject myself to that and I’d limit my interactions with them to chatting on the forums where they kind of had to interact with a little more consideration.

I will note that some of the people who were part of that, I still talk to to this day, because they’ve matured quite a bit over the years and don’t act like that anymore.

I think there’s a sense of peer pressure for kids to feel like they have to show off in front of their other same-age friends, to “prove” how “grown up” they are, with the whole “I’ll say what I want how I want and you can’t tell me what to do” thing.

The second group I’m still in. They’ve matured quite a bit. Most of them know me, and they know my copy-cat kid often reads over my shoulder and gets himself in trouble when he repeats what he sees as novel and therefore interesting words, wherever he is and whoever he’s with (he’s special needs and has no filter for that). So most of the people in that group modify their language somewhat, or put things in spoilers so my kid won’t accidentally see it. Why? Not because they HAVE to, but they choose to, in consideration for me. I appreciate and respect that a great deal.

———

Discord and these chat apps can tend to lend themselves to the (new) younger set. (And I know some adults enjoy emoji’s and memes and whatnot—that’s ok. I can deal with that. Some of them are hilarious, lol.) Humour is subjective. Anyway...

But a server that is going to try to be a home for the forum community of currently active participants who enjoy spending time here, to move to (as opposed to formerly banned forumers and a generally more um, liberal (?) internet crowd) is going to have to maintain the sense of a respectful place.

If there is going to be any official recognition or interaction from SC in any way, really, which people still want/hope for, there’s something to be said for maintaining the “safe”, family-friendly community atmosphere they tried to keep here. Maybe not exactly the same, but where people still remember we are from all walks of life—all ages and cultures, and are just considerate of each other. If things I am doing or saying are highly offensive to someone, I should probably thoughtfully reconsider my words and actions instead of whining that *I can say what I want—it’s their problem if they’re offended!

It’s just part of getting along in a diverse group of people.

And I think if we’re not kids, we should be able to do it without someone telling us we have to, most of the time.

———

I also realize *I need to have a little latitude with others, as well. So, like when the CR forums were here and people complained about how toxic a lot of the members were, I just tried to avoid that scene and if I had questions about CR during the time I played it, I just asked my friends I knew who played, in VMs.

So in the new Discord server, I just don’t read anything in the Brawl Stars or Boom Beach sections. Not saying those are toxic or negative—I know a lot of adults and otherwise nice people who play them, lol. I just don’t play those, so don’t take the time to check them out.

There’s one “make a sentence” game that people just make up the stupidest stuff, which I find quite annoying, lol. So I just don’t open that one any more, and do a couple of the others that I don’t mind even though they are silly. “Forum games” generally are, lol.

I agree as toofinedog said—the Clash section does have some good chat going on, with people helping each other and giving advice, sharing strategies, etc.

The HayDay section needs to have more. But if the people who created the wonderful, friendly, reasonable and helpful, mostly chill atmosphere from that “side” of the forum, avoid Discord because it’s Discord, then...the magic can’t happen.

———

I think it will be a balancing act as people settle in and the Discord mods there kind of have to determine who they want to serve—the forums community, or the entire SC universe, and how much/what kind of things they’ll need to intervene with and act on, and what they can let go. It’s all just so new, that it’s hard to say.

Edit...the two groups I referred to don’t include the FE Discord, so make that three, lol. Thanks SK. Good group of ppl there, too.
    Last edited by MommySnooks; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:38 PM.

Thanks TerM!

Got kinda worried snooks might be gf, but seems there's no gf in the set-up so she is absolutely confirmed.
    -Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Much as I strongly dislike the fact the forums are going, we have to face up to the fact that such a tiny proportion of players use them that their removal will make no noticeable difference to the overall interest in the game.

So from that POV, it does make sense to Supercell
    As much as I agree with you that losing the Forums people will have little impact on the financial gains for Tencent, but the greatest impact will be the loss of quality knowledge and caring the game has ever had.
    Like I said earlier in this post, quality over quantity sometimes should be considered, especially when you are already making millions if not billions of dollars. The Forums group has had discussions that have brought to light invaluable information that will be lost, of course I guess they can try to get a meme or a gf from some other social media site to supplement it.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #616
    Quote Originally Posted by hande View Post
    I believe that a great number of the most loyal customers of Supercell games use this forum. So your saying means that Supercell thinks also their impact in the game on other players must be negligible as ”their removal will make no noticeable difference to the overall interest in the game”.
    While there is no doubt that forum members tend to be from among the most loyal customers, the numbers really are so low as to be insignificant.

Even at the peak, we only had less than 20 thousand active members. It has been a lot less recently. In fact there are just 1800 members who have made > 10 posts and posted since March 1st.

But there are 30 million+ active players. 300,000 would be 1%, so 20,000 is 1/15 of 1%.

1800 is less than 1/150 of 1%. Which means out of every 15,000 active players, just one will be an active member here.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #617
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
    As much as I agree with you that losing the Forums people will have little impact on the financial gains for Tencent, but the greatest impact will be the loss of quality knowledge and caring the game has ever had.
    Like I said earlier in this post, quality over quantity sometimes should be considered, especially when you are already making millions if not billions of dollars. The Forums group has had discussions that have brought to light invaluable information that will be lost, of course I guess they can try to get a meme or a gf from some other social media site to supplement it.
    I absolutely agree. We will be losing a lot of quality for those few of us who use the forums. It really is a great pity they are going.

Humming "The Soft Goodbye" Please see my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilakila View Post
    I said three things in the discord room; think it was "this is not at all like global" and "I dunno if I like this" then "nope, not my thing". I did see your name in there somewhere, or maybe it was reddit?
    I recently posted to the CoC subreddit under LynnK0919. I didn't subscribe to the Discord server yet.
    Dedicating "The Soft Goodbye" to the Supercell forums and the people who made it an awesome community, the brightest star in the evening sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVgb4pJMdI

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    While there is no doubt that forum members tend to be from among the most loyal customers, the numbers really are so low as to be insignificant.

Even at the peak, we only had less than 20 thousand active members. It has been a lot less recently. In fact there are just 1800 members who have made > 10 posts and posted since March 1st.

But there are 30 million+ active players. 300,000 would be 1%, so 20,000 is 1/15 of 1%.

1800 is less than 1/150 of 1%. Which means out of every 15,000 active players, just one will be an active member here.
    I just looked and approx 6k online and 25 members (albeit across all forums). It does indicate people do come here for info. There are not 30m players registered on discord I would think, so is there statistically meaningful interaction outside forums / discord? i,e, if there are 100,000 on r/discord, how many actually post/interact? Let alone in a meaningful way (tho problems here admittedly)

I suspect majority of players (perhaps a vast majority) have little if no interaction with platforms at all - just my guess, but even in my clan who are pretty adult, and mostly Th14, they don't go too far afield - would guess maybe 7 out of 35 have discord outside our clan's server.

In short, if there are 30m active users but only (e.g) 200k use forums/discord, some other sort of meaningful social media. What is the point in posting statistics re forum users vs user base?

So perhaps forum is more useful than those stats would indicate?

And that ignores the involvement of the userbase

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Come swing your pants at Very Hard. We love Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows

Thanks to TerMinus Prime for signature.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #620
    Quote Originally Posted by Imjustaboutokinwar View Post
    I just looked and approx 6k online and 25 members (albeit across all forums). It does indicate people do come here for info. There are not 30m players registered on discord I would think, so is there statistically meaningful interaction outside forums / discord? i,e, if there are 100,000 on r/discord, how many actually post/interact? Let alone in a meaningful way (tho problems here admittedly)

I suspect majority of players (perhaps a vast majority) have little if no interaction with platforms at all - just my guess, but even in my clan who are pretty adult, and mostly Th14, they don't go too far afield - would guess maybe 7 out of 35 have discord outside our clan's server.

In short, if there are 30m active users but only (e.g) 200k use forums/discord, some other sort of meaningful social media. What is the point in posting statistics re forum users vs user base?

So perhaps forum is more useful than those stats would indicate?

And that ignores the involvement of the userbase

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    I fully agree, there are almost certainly no more regularly active users anywhere else - though probably more readers.

And yes, the vast majority of clashers don't really look anywhere outside the game itself. A few will look at videos for attacking tips, but even that is not going to be all that high a number, as a proportion of total players.

But whether anywhere else gets more doesn't alter the fact that it is a very tiny proportion of players who will be affected by the removal of the forums. Whether we like it or not, the overall impact on the player base will be minimal. And that is really all I was trying to say there.